F them Picks-Again?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Edge. Our biggest need and the draft is reportedly thin at this position with top talent.
Who told you this? There are at least five, maybe six or even seven, edge guys with first round potential in this year’s draft.

Cornerback, another of our main priorities, is also well represented this year. I just hope that one of the top guys (preferably an edge, but I would take a CB too) falls to our pick.

dang

Legend
Honestly, if our assistant coach roster isn’t too heavily poached, and Snead plays FA and the draft very well once again, I can see this 2024 Ram team rather loaded and capable of a deep SB run.
That’s in the 3 year plan McSnead set in motion this year. Retool, infuse young inexpensive talent, add some key FA pieces next year and be a top NFC contender for the next 2 years. Then I believe there’s a good chance Stafford and Donald might hang ‘em up.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I expect we’ll take a more draft-oriented approach this offseason (though I wouldn’t rule out a splash FA signing or two). If things start to really come together early in the year, we might then see a bit of the F them picks approach in the pre-trade deadline period next Fall as we look for final pieces to make a run.
I agree with you.
Also they will trade out of the 1st.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Not like the league was hot over Mayfield when we added him but after playing for us he was looked at a bit differently.

Also going off memory here think I watched a few of his games last season and his protections weren't very good. Granted he didn't play well and something happened with him and the owner I suspect, but bottom line here is the guy is not a scrub from a talent perspective. So if he's got his head right and plays within the scheme I don't think it's impossible for him to have a decent game for us.
Yes, but I think, one game will not change most teams thinking on him. He will shop around, but I think he will be available to the rams to sign. Stafford's injury history won't hurt the possible signing of Wentz either.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Who told you this? There are at least five, maybe six or even seven, edge guys with first round potential in this year’s draft.

Cornerback, another of our main priorities, is also well represented this year. I just hope that one of the top guys (preferably an edge, but I would take a CB too) falls to our pick.
I think the post you responded to had it backwards.. they'll get an edge in FA.. it's a must. The way secondaries play these days, you can work a young corner in easier, imo. An edge has to win on as many plays as possible.

I've said it before.. I'm trading back a few times..
There are multiple players around 40 who I think could start as rookies and have an impact.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
On Wentz.. .. from what I've read/heard.. there are personality and coaching issues with him.

There's a reason 2 teams moved on from him so quickly.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
On Wentz.. .. from what I've read/heard.. there are personality and coaching issues with him.

There's a reason 2 teams moved on from him so quickly.
Boomer Esiason is very close friends with Frank Reich, who backed him up at Maryland. Reich is the god-father to Esiason's daughter; and Boomer has stated several times on his morning radio show that it was Jim Irsay's call to move on from Wentz after 2021.

Wentz actually had excellent numbers in 2021 but was awful in two end of the season losses that denied the Colts a playoff-berth, enraging Irsay ... who is kind of nutty to begin with.

Not trying to completely defend Wentz who I think has frustrated coaches as you posted.

I am trying to be optimistic and hopeful that Wentz could be a reasonably-priced, better-than-average back-up-QB in 2024. I accept that losing a starting-QB to a season-ending injury probably means a re-set of that season's goals. However, I hate the idea that losing a starting-QB for 2-4 games is a season-killer. An average-to-good back-up can help a team win a couple games; and that can be the difference between a sub-.500 record of 8-9, and a playoff spot with a 10-7 record.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Boomer Esiason is very close friends with Frank Reich, who backed him up at Maryland. Reich is the god-father to Esiason's daughter; and Boomer has stated several times on his morning radio show that it was Jim Irsay's call to move on from Wentz after 2021.

Wentz actually had excellent numbers in 2021 but was awful in two end of the season losses that denied the Colts a playoff-berth, enraging Irsay ... who is kind of nutty to begin with.

Not trying to completely defend Wentz who I think has frustrated coaches as you posted.

I am trying to be optimistic and hopeful that Wentz could be a reasonably-priced, better-than-average back-up-QB in 2024. I accept that losing a starting-QB to a season-ending injury probably means a re-set of that season's goals. However, I hate the idea that losing a starting-QB for 2-4 games is a season-killer. An average-to-good back-up can help a team win a couple games; and that can be the difference between a sub-.500 record of 8-9, and a playoff spot with a 10-7 record.
Yeah… Washington still happened.

I see Blake Bortles.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I see Blake Bortles.
As I posted above ... "Not trying to completely defend Wentz who I think has frustrated coaches as you posted."

However, I don't see Bortles and Wentz as comparable.
Although I think stats can be miss-leading, Bortles' 24-49 record, 59.3% completion and 103 TDs to 75 Ints ... compared to Wentz's 46-45 record, 62.6% completion and 151 TDs to 66 Ints is a No Contest.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Fuck ALL them picks.

I want to see the smug ass reactions in April and eat their words in December when the Rams are playoff bound again.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As I posted above ... "Not trying to completely defend Wentz who I think has frustrated coaches as you posted."

However, I don't see Bortles and Wentz as comparable.
Although I think stats can be miss-leading, Bortles' 24-49 record, 59.3% completion and 103 TDs to 75 Ints ... compared to Wentz's 46-45 record, 62.6% completion and 151 TDs to 66 Ints is a No Contest.
I’m talking about Bortles on the Rams.

Just a guy with size and experience.. not someone who’s gonna make any kind of difference.

Who know’s? Maybe there’s something there… but I feel like he was available for a reason.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Just a guy with size and experience.. not someone who’s gonna make any kind of difference.

Who know’s? Maybe there’s something there… but I feel like he was available for a reason.

You're usually Mr. Optimism around here!

You have the Rams creating a Billion-$ in cap space this coming off-season, and signing multiple All Pros!

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Would you trade this years first for a future 1st round pick plus receive a lower round pick this year, if it was with a badly managed organization?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Cornerback, another of our main priorities, is also well represented this year. I just hope that one of the top guys (preferably an edge, but I would take a CB too) falls to our pick. Dallas Turner
Dallas Turner
Chop Robinson
Jared Verse
Laiatu Latu
JT Tuimoloau
Brandon Dorius
and
Bralen Trice
all say hello!!!

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Dallas Turner
Chop Robinson
Jared Verse
Laiatu Latu
JT Tuimoloau
Brandon Dorius
and
Bralen Trice
all say hello!!!
I’d say Dorlus is a second round prospect, where you could also have Chris Braswell and Jack Sawyer.

Tuimoloau is borderline first round, but the other five are likely to be gone before we pick. If any one of them, or the top CB prospects, fell to us, there’s no way I would be trading down.

Of course, there’s free agency before the draft but, given that top pass rushers and cornerbacks are expensive to recruit, I would prefer that we pay Dotson and sign a safety in FA and then build through the draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I see Blake Bortles.
He has a ton of bad hero ball habits that need to be broken.

Stafford had some bad habits as well after being on a team where he had to do it all. I think McVay did a great job of making him better at managing games/leads etc...

Wentz's issues are much worse, so it will be interesting if McVay can help him if he sticks around for another year.

jjab360

Legend

Joe Flacco was riding the couch a few months ago as well. Everyone thought Mayfield was beyond done last year before we picked him up. Warner before the Cardinals?

Sometimes teams just take these former franchise QBs for granted and washed up when all they really need is another chance in the right situation again.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Joe Flacco was riding the couch a few months ago as well. Everyone thought Mayfield was beyond done last year before we picked him up. Warner before the Cardinals?

Sometimes teams just take these former franchise QBs for granted and washed up when all they really need is another chance in the right situation again.
Again… maybe?

dang

Legend
Would you trade this years first for a future 1st round pick plus receive a lower round pick this year, if it was with a badly managed organization?
I think the Rams will have a short list of players they would use their 1st round pick on. If no one was left from the short list I could see a trade down for multiple picks in this years draft.