F them Picks-Again?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
Ive been thinking a lot recently about this as the season went on. No one thought this team would be a decent club, let alone be above .500 and in the playoffs. I thought Maybe 7-10/8-9 range max! This draft has us on a high and no matter what happens the next few weeks, this season was fun and a success in terms of a "rebuild" Which brings me to my points

1. We basically gutted our entire team to get more draft capital in later rounds.
2. We got even more later rounds for players who were not for the team and bringing morale down/ or not wanting to try new things which seems to help a lot!
3. We still have stars in Kupp, Stafford, AD and still have Hig, and Havenstein. So Not a complete rebuild.

Now this draft class has grown into one of the best draft classes the Rams had ever. With that said, do we say F them picks again for 2024-2025-2026? Heres why!

Window for the Big 3 is closing.
We have not had a Rd1 draft since 2016- Goff
We have only 1 of our 1st rounders in last 10 years- AD
2 of our long tenured players on our roster are Hig and Havenstein. Hig was 4th rounder, and Havenstien 2nd and most of our solid players come outside of round 1.

Since we got Goff (16 draft)/Mcvay in 2017 we have been to the SB x2, and playoffs 4 times( Now 5) without a first rounder. Yes we have a few currently, but they were not ours ( Wentz could have been) and have our future ones going forward!

Do we trade our 1st rounders to get more draft pieces like more 2nd/3rd rounders for foundation players like Avila, Turner? Maybe a Solid Edge? Quite frankly 1st round players have an ego and dont pan out well. Every once in awhile you get a CJ stroud/Stafford/AD Type. Now this means we would have to trade for unused/forgotten players like Dotson was and get a FA that hate thier current teams situations (Bolles?).

If we do trade away picks we also need to convince Wentz to stay and take over when Staff retires, or get another really good backup that can win. Staff prob will go another 2-3 years then Wentz takes over for a few years( he will be 34). Do we go after a Mac Jones/Zach Wilson type( I think thier teams just suck bad and need a new start) or a vet like Jameis Winston?

What are your thought on this? I could be crazy. lol

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ive been thinking a lot recently about this as the season went on. No one thought this team would be a decent club, let alone be above .500 and in the playoffs. I thought Maybe 7-10/8-9 range max! This draft has us on a high and no matter what happens the next few weeks, this season was fun and a success in terms of a "rebuild" Which brings me to my points

1. We basically gutted our entire team to get more draft capital in later rounds.
2. We got even more later rounds for players who were not for the team and bringing morale down/ or not wanting to try new things which seems to help a lot!
3. We still have stars in Kupp, Stafford, AD and still have Hig, and Havenstein. So Not a complete rebuild.

Now this draft class has grown into one of the best draft classes the Rams had ever. With that said, do we say F them picks again for 2024-2025-2026? Heres why!

Window for the Big 3 is closing.
We have not had a Rd1 draft since 2016- Goff
We have only 1 of our 1st rounders in last 10 years- AD
2 of our long tenured players on our roster are Hig and Havenstein. Hig was 4th rounder, and Havenstien 2nd and most of our solid players come outside of round 1.

Since we got Goff (16 draft)/Mcvay in 2017 we have been to the SB x2, and playoffs 4 times( Now 5) without a first rounder. Yes we have a few currently, but they were not ours ( Wentz could have been) and have our future ones going forward!

Do we trade our 1st rounders to get more draft pieces like more 2nd/3rd rounders for foundation players like Avila, Turner? Maybe a Solid Edge? Quite frankly 1st round players have an ego and dont pan out well. Every once in awhile you get a CJ stroud/Stafford/AD Type. Now this means we would have to trade for unused/forgotten players like Dotson was and get a FA that hate thier current teams situations (Bolles?).

If we do trade away picks we also need to convince Wentz to stay and take over when Staff retires, or get another really good backup that can win. Staff prob will go another 2-3 years then Wentz takes over for a few years( he will be 34). Do we go after a Mac Jones/Zach Wilson type( I think thier teams just suck bad and need a new start) or a vet like Jameis Winston?

What are your thought on this? I could be crazy. lol

Well, Bolles just signed an extension, Wentz is gonna vie for a chance to start and we don’t know if there’s a great scheme/character fit in the bottom of the first for us.

It may depend if Raheem gets a HC gig as that extra third rounder could be enough to want to keep the first.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
A counter argument could be to think just how good we would have been if we had a few more players with first round talent.

There is no substitute for natural ability. The right coaching is needed to maximise that ability, and we clearly have that. So maybe we should take an elite prospect if they fall to us, and see if McVay and his staff can work their magic? Imagine what a top pass rusher or a shutdown cornerback could do for this defence... Having said that, if McSnead don't think that the value is there when we pick, I'm all for trading down.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Bolles just signed an extension, Wentz is gonna vie for a chance to start and we don’t know if there’s a great scheme/character fit in the bottom of the first for us.

It may depend if Raheem gets a HC gig as that extra third rounder could be enough to want to keep the first.
Yeah also prob depends on how Wentz does this weekend if he will end up a starter somewhere. He didnt have a spot this year at all til we grabbed him.

Yeah that is a good point about Raheem!

pvtdragon39

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A counter argument could be to think just how good we would have been if we had a few more players with first round talent.

There is no substitute for natural ability. The right coaching is needed to maximise that ability, and we clearly have that. So maybe we should take an elite prospect if they fall to us, and see if McVay and his staff can work their magic? Imagine what a top pass rusher or a shutdown cornerback could do for this defence... Having said that, if McSnead don't think that the value is there when we pick, I'm all for trading down.
That is another question I pondered as well. We def need a Corner who doesnt get burned, maybe a upgrade at safety too? O-line I think is 1 peice away from really good/great. Especially with Puka/Kupp/Kyren blocking

TexasRam

Legend
I floated this idea a few months back.

I agree with the win now with the Stafford/Kupp/Donald windows closing.

How about trading some premium picks and taking on the salary of some top players. Edge/CB etc.

Bears- Sweat/Jaylon Johnson
Broncos - Surtain.
Tampa - Winfield.

oldnotdead

Legend
Another way to look at it is the cap. FA QB1s are big cap eaters. Draft a QB1 and let him redshirt for a year and they still control his rights for 4 more years with the 5th year option. That gives them money to sign reasonable FAs at other positions like edge, OT or wherever. It was unsustainable because of needing to pay big money to Gurley and Goff both (two dead cap years each). The guys they just drafted will have 3 more years before they hit FA and the guys they draft next year will have 4 years.

Fuck them picks works if you're selective in how you use it. The best position to use it is QB1. As Nacua and Turner have shown a 1st round pick is no guarantee with a lot of positions.

I absolutely think Snead will trade 1s for the QB1 they have targeted. Considering how low they will be picking in the first round it's probably going to take 3 plus a second in 2025 or 2026 or if he's lucky 3 first round and 2 third round. I think NE might be receptive.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When I think of F them picks, it’s trading picks for established players… not trade downs.

The 2023 draft was so good, the Rams can play both games… test the market for established players, if they don’t like it, load up on picks again.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I think they should make a real run for a premium edge (Burns and Hunter both potentially available this offseason). How they do that (FA splash/trade) doesn't bother me.

Having said that, I have faith in their ability to draft players that fit our scheme and it would be really interesting to see what they would do with a pick in the 20s. I would not hate a trade down from mid 20s that netted a couple of seconds in return.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It’s really not F those picks but F those high picks. It’s the art of getting more later picks and still getting your guys. Too complex of strategizing to wrap my brain around. I guess that’s why we sometimes get so pissed at watching them pass up or lose the chance of getting the guy we thought was the perfect pick. We don’t know the entire complexity of their strategy and when they have to change gears on the fly because somebody nabbed their guy at the last minute. The draft really is a multilayered chess match and you are playing 31 opponents.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I expect we’ll take a more draft-oriented approach this offseason (though I wouldn’t rule out a splash FA signing or two). If things start to really come together early in the year, we might then see a bit of the F them picks approach in the pre-trade deadline period next Fall as we look for final pieces to make a run.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think a lot depends on how we do in the postseason this year. I don't mean winning or losing. I mean how they play. If some of the kids who haven't already proved themselves (Avila, Puka, Young, Turner, Lake) show well in the playoffs, we'll have a better handle on the need situation. Certainly, there will be additions (and subtractions) and more than likely a few free agent signings. Do we get an Edge in free agency? Another lineman? Do we resign Dotson? Witherspoon? Wentz? I don't think they know what their plan is going to be for the draft. But all that has to transpire before they know.....I would think.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Must haves for next year:
-Edge1 - I won’t trust a rookie so FA or trade
-CB1 - I trust they can find one in Round 2 of draft
-Dotson- entire OL improved as soon as he was put in the lineup

Like to have for next year:
-OC - improvement via Draft
-LT - stud with Round 1 pick or depth with later draft pick
-MLB - FA or draft pick to improve
-WR/RB - depth via draft

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

-WR/RB - depth via draft
My exact thoughts. A FA edge rusher, and then a CB and LT with the first two picks. I want a Pat Surtain.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well they passed on the trade deadline which was where that could have been restarted. And now FA is ahead plus the draft so it feels like they are going that route. There is a possibility they trade for a vet I suppose but they should be able to fill a couple spots in FA then pick much higher than they are used to so that feels unlikely.

I'd say where this lines up again for us might be the trade deadline in the fall. Assuming their team feels like a contender which it should. But back when they were doing that as a model they were zigging while others were zagging. Winning it all sort of ruined that, more teams seem in on deadline deals of late.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The 2 year plan involved resetting with draft picks AND opening up salary cap.

The Rams opened up a ton of money and I’m confident they will spend big this offseason.

I also think they will keep their draft picks, for the most part.

The trade deadline shows me they wanted to be disciplined with their approach. They could’ve easily landed Sweat or Young.

They will trade back more than once, out of the first round, I believe… UNLESS someone they desperately want falls to them.

That is NOT “F them picks.”

They want to build a deeper base so they don’t go through another 2022.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

-WR/RB - depth via draft
Pretty much exactly where I’m at.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless a youngish superstar is available, no. Keep the picks. Continue building for the future. Use the money in FA to gear up for another run. We shouldn't be going all in like we did in 2021. We need to be thinking as much about the post-Stafford/Donald era as we are about 2024. We have some studly players and a great coaching staff. All we really need to do is shore up some weak spots on the roster to have a real shot.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
This falls under the " just something to talk about" category.
Nothing has happened yet, we will just have to wait and see. Then talk about it.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Wentz is not starting for anyone. He was a street free agent when we picked him up at a time when half the league was losing their starting QBs and even backups and no one would touch him.