Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Whit sure alluded to the fact that he was gonna sit during the year. Hard to believe that would happen beginning of season but I could see a scenario where they knew they would be playing guys like Hummel and Speights more and more and didn't want it to be an issue with a guy who is in the last year of his contract looking for a payday.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Whit sure alluded to the fact that he was gonna sit during the year. Hard to believe that would happen beginning of season but I could see a scenario where they knew they would be playing guys like Hummel and Speights more and more and didn't want it to be an issue with a guy who is in the last year of his contract looking for a payday.
Maybe.

There are a ton of freaking "Maybes" out there ... heck, just on this thread.

Like most, I am hoping the Rams made the right decision here but, we just don't have enough information.

It's OK to give McVay and Snead the benefit of a doubt ... They have earned that. But Blind Faith?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I don't fully buy that. Players don't always pick a team because they see you do right by players. They more often than not go after the money. It's a sad a true fact in the NFL. The players only have a finite amount of years to cash in so that being the top determining factor the majority of the time is also understandable. Now with that said, it will from time to time help us attract players, but we still gotta pay up lol
Of course, the money has to be right. At the end of the day, football is their job. But when the money is equal or close, being a destination players want to go to, helps.

Memphis Ram

Legend
“I’m just going to be completely honest — I was shocked,” Jones told reporters. “We got off the flight from Houston and I got told that I’d be traded. No bad blood. There wasn’t even any contract talks. We never even talked numbers. It was just, ‘Y’all aren’t extending me? OK, we’ll play this year out.’ So I was under the impression that I was going to finish this year in L.A. and then move on, but it happened earlier. Love my guys over there, love the team that gave me my opportunity, so it’s no hard feelings on my end.”
Maybe I'm just naive, but listening to his comments and McVay's comments about time missed and falling behind is it really that hard to believe that he just may have gotten beaten out for his starting spot? Not to mention potential future time missed managing his knee.
And if not a starter during his contract year, might he become a locker room issue?

We've got a new ILB coach (fresh eyes) and a new DC who have seen these guys all offseason. Was Jones the best fit for what they wanted to run given his being a liability in coverage?

Maybe it's just me, but it appears that some could be making Jones out to be so good that he's a universal fit for whatever scheme being run and could miss time with no issues and that the other players on the roster couldn't have possible improved enough (or be better fits) to offset his loss.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Of course, the money has to be right. At the end of the day, football is their job. But when the money is equal or close, being a destination players want to go to, helps.
Money is important, then where your wife wants to live, then culture of the team. The holy trinity.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Maybe I'm just naive, but listening to his comments and McVay's comments about time missed and falling behind is it really that hard to believe that he just may have gotten beaten out for his starting spot? Not to mention potential future time missed managing his knee.
And if not a starter during his contract year, might he become a locker room issue?

Maybe ... and you are not naive.

Just a little push-back here.
Last year, the Rams had to manage Jones due to knee issues but he did start 15 games and play over 90% of the snaps on defense; and he was very productive on a playoff team.

Jones three back-ups last year were Rozeboom, Reeder and Hummel, none of who were rookies. Jones played 934 defensive snaps in 2023. Those other three combined for less than 800 snaps. Jones was clearly the best ILB on the Team in 2023; and those same three back-ups are now at the top of the depth chart with an undrafted rookie (Speights).

Everything you mentioned in your post IS a possibility; and this is a new season. Maybe the knee is really bad, and Jones has quickly regressed. Maybe Jones was being a negative presence. Maybe one or more of the experienced ILBs has improved significantly. Maybe Speights is the second-coming of London Fletcher.

Any, and All are possible.

However, to some of us, the Rams look much weaker at ILB; and that's a concern.

There were quite a few posts on ROD in recent months about Jones being one of the players the Rams could least afford to lose to injury because of the lack of talent behind him. Many of us didn't want Troy Reeder as the third-ILB! Now he is starting and doing press conferences representing the Rams' Defense!!!

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

We've got a new ILB coach (fresh eyes) and a new DC who have seen these guys all offseason. Was Jones the best fit for what they wanted to run given his being a liability in coverage?

Maybe it's just me, but it appears that some could be making Jones out to be so good that he's a universal fit for whatever scheme being run and could miss time with no issues and that the other players on the roster couldn't have possible improved enough (or be better fits) to offset his loss.
Yeah, based on Jones', McVay's, Rosenthal's and Whit's comments, I'm fairly convinced that the Rams were not going to start him. There's quite a bit of smoke now pointing to that being the cause of the trade.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The more and more I think about it, they probably did the right thing trading him. I just wish the comp was better.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yeah.. but it's just not fleeced. It's hyperbole. The difference a player like Jones makes vs the other guys just isn't nearly what you're suggesting. If Jones was a true sideline-to-sideline difference maker, I'd agree. He's not. He's literally bad in coverage. Really good at other things. With his speed and instincts.. there's a chance Speights is a more complete LB who can actually stick with RBs and TEs in ways Jones could not. This is speculation.. but the Rams have seen Speights every day and are the ones who made the choice.

They traded a player and flipped picks.
You're suggesting maybe a round of difference here in picks.. maybe a round and a half if we include the value of the sixth. If the Rams finish with a great record in 25 and the Titans finish with a poor record?? The difference becomes even less.

Don't overreact.
Not overreacting at all lol. We got fleeced in my opinion but not in yours and thats ok. The difference wasn't just one round but one round plus giving away a pick as well. We basically dumped him. We disagree on the fleecing but regardless EJ is gone. Relying on a rookie and saying he's better than someone that was showing improvement every year and was part of our SB team is a huge, huge leap of faith. There will be growing pains and hopefully they don't last long, but I'm not banking on it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe ... and you are not naive.

Just a little push-back here.
Last year, the Rams had to manage Jones due to knee issues but he did start 15 games and play over 90% of the snaps on defense; and he was very productive on a playoff team.

Jones three back-ups last year were Rozeboom, Reeder and Hummel, none of who were rookies. Jones played 934 defensive snaps in 2023. Those other three combined for less than 800 snaps. Jones was clearly the best ILB on the Team in 2023; and those same three back-ups are now at the top of the depth chart with an undrafted rookie (Speights).

Everything you mentioned in your post IS a possibility; and this is a new season. Maybe the knee is really bad, and Jones has quickly regressed. Maybe Jones was being a negative presence. Maybe one or more of the experienced ILBs has improved significantly. Maybe Speights is the second-coming of London Fletcher.

Any, and All are possible.

However, to some of us, the Rams look much weaker at ILB; and that's a concern.

There were quite a few posts on ROD in recent months about Jones being one of the players the Rams could least afford to lose to injury because of the lack of talent behind him. Many of us didn't want Troy Reeder as the third-ILB! Now he is starting and doing press conferences representing the Rams' Defense!!!

I guess I could better see the other point of view if I knew for sure that Shula planned to run the same exact schemes as Raheem Morris with Aaron Donald still on the team taking a lot of attention in front of him.

Then again, it may just be my view of Ernest Jones. I just saw a solid, non difference maker who happened to wrap up when tackling better than Reeder whenever I watched him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It seems like you are avoiding the simple question I asked because, without more information, the answer appears obvious.
Yeah.. like how the team actually plays without him?

Do you ACTUALLY know? Of course not. You can guess.. which is speculation.
My speculation is Speights will be better in some ways and not as good in others in relatively quick fashion.

AND… you’re avoiding which of those 2 questions is obviously more important.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I guess I could better see the other point of view if I knew for sure that Shula planned to run the same exact schemes as Raheem Morris with Aaron Donald still on the team taking a lot of attention in front of him.

Then again, it may just be my view of Ernest Jones. I just saw a solid, non difference maker who happened to wrap up when tackling better than Reeder whenever I watched him.
Totally legit points

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not overreacting at all lol. We got fleeced in my opinion but not in yours and thats ok. The difference wasn't just one round but one round plus giving away a pick as well. We basically dumped him. We disagree on the fleecing but regardless EJ is gone. Relying on a rookie and saying he's better than someone that was showing improvement every year and was part of our SB team is a huge, huge leap of faith. There will be growing pains and hopefully they don't last long, but I'm not banking on it.
EJ was legitimately poor in coverage.

I’m sorry.. but words mean something and this wasn’t a case of being “fleeced.”

Again.. I know you’re a good poster.. I’m just a stickler for these things.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah.. like how the team actually plays without him?

Do you ACTUALLY know? Of course not. You can guess.. which is speculation.
My speculation is Speights will be better in some ways and not as good in others in relatively quick fashion.

AND… you’re avoiding which of those 2 questions is obviously more important.
You seem a little frustrated. Let's make this simple; and then close the loop and move-on.

I will ask you my simple In Your Opinion, Yes/No Question. You answer it Yes or No.

Then you do the same. I'm actually not sure what your question is, or whether it is a simple, In Your Opinion, Yes/No Question.

Here's mine ... Based on what we know, do you think the Rams are stronger at ILB right now, without Jones?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You seem a little frustrated. Let's make this simple; and then close the loop and move-on.

I will ask you my simple In Your Opinion, Yes/No Question. You answer it Yes or No.

Then you do the same. I'm actually not sure what your question is, or whether it is a simple, In Your Opinion, Yes/No Question.

Here's mine ... Based on what we know, do you think the Rams are stronger at ILB right now, without Jones?
The position overall? Weaker. No doubt Jones was one of the team’s best backers.
Specifically as the primary inside backer.
What I don’t KNOW is how if he was the BEST at that position right now. I say this because Speights looked VERY good in preseason.. is faster and healthy.

Tano

Legend

I am going to answer that question with a why I think that way

No if Reeder starts and plays a significant amount of plays.

Maybe if Speights plays a significant amount of plays.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am going to answer that question with a why I think that way

No if Reeder starts and plays a significant amount of plays.

Maybe if Speights plays a significant amount of plays.

Hey! I ain't speaking to you Buddy! You're the guy that told me 'I need help'. You're on MY LIST.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
hahaha, I do not think Snead has the kind of power
They work together on prioritizing certain and players positions but McVay doesn't have complete control and I don't think he's involved with the fine details of negotiations. Maybe McVay was hoping EJ would finish the year but something happened and they started listening to trade offers.