Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Some notes on the speed of these ILBs as I kick around who they'd go with if Jones is moved...

:helmet: Jones ran a 4.73 40 time at 239, which is what kept him from going higher. I figure none of these guys now run what they did, and of that group Jones is probably the most slowed by his knee issue, though he does play better than his 40 time due to his anticipation and reading ability. He's very good if he can reach the play of course and reads well inside the tackles.

:helmet: Hummel is a 4.51, which is good athleticism for a LB at 225 range. At Iowa St he was all over the place, queue up some of those games and very active with range so he's got instincts too. Not gonna look up the cones times but I figure his was quite high. What I don't like is he hasn't been able to break the lineup to this point.

:helmet: Reeder is a 4.63 and he ran it at 235. I've always said he is too heavy for change of direction, to me if he would lose weight he'd be far better. His height also might work against him on that change of direction idk. But what irks me about him is his inconsistent run fits on top of the other stuff.

:helmet: Rozeboom ran a 4.70 at 230. He's a solid between the tackles depth ILB but I don't think he has the range to push Jones out. To get the Rams thinking of you instead of Jones there has to be a bit more there.

:helmet: Speights ran a 4.65 at 229. So he's about like Reeder athletically but on the field seems to change direction better, and moves well laterally. I think he's a guy who probably plays faster than his 40, similar to Jones, and also reads RBs extremely well.

What is interesting overall here is that Jones probably loses a foot race for this room every time, and he's still the best ILB of the bunch. But obviously it feels like it's Speights or Hummel if Jones goes. Maybe even Speights & Hummel for 2024 in base. Could be that is disrespectful of Rozeboom and Reeder, but I think that duo would give us very good range and tackling if they can stay healthy.
Merlin, great write up. I suspect the 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle might be helpful here too. I wonder how Jones compares there.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I don't think it's about faith. It's about being realistic.

He's an ILB, which is not a high-priority position throughout the NFL.
He has a chronic knee issue.
He wants a new contract.
He's not an elite player.
And frankly, the timing is bad. The Rams don't have leverage here.

I see a 5th as being the best they can do, but wouldn't be surprised by a 6th.

Yikes id be surprised if they let him walk for anything less than a 3rd. He's not elite but he's definitely top 10 in the league, high ten but he's around that good. Yeah he has a knee issue but if it's something that's manageable, because in reality every player is one play from being retired from an injury let's be real. So anyways good ILBs are rare-ish and Jones didn't look like he lost a step last year it looked like he gained two. He might be playing his best football right now. It's a gamble really, Jones balls out this year, hits FA, gets paid big from a team who values ILBs, rams get a decent comp pick, everyone wins. That's what I'd be preaching if I were the rams organization. While I'm fine that Jones might be betting on himself now but the rams gotta be real smart here. The talent behind him is super questionable.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone else notice that the 2021 Super Bowl Champions started Troy Reeder for the first 10 games until a rookie LB named Ernest Jones replaced him?

Cue: Omar Speights
Well does anybody remember when Staley & The Rams had the Number 1 defense in The NFL ? There was that same LBer who was starting the 2nd half of the season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mcvays answer was interesting on EJ53. He revealed that it’s a business & The Rams keep this in house basically.He also said EJ53 has been talking to other teams.

He explained it is a process that goes on around The NFL.EJ53 has always been a WE not ME type player,but imo this makes players become about ME.

It got leaked,or miscommunicated wrong from his camp.It’s a weird & tough situation both sides are in.The value & numbers don’t match up,so another words is there might be a trade partner willing pay him more than The Rams want.

The Rams always want to make sure a player is happy before they sign a long term contract.This is the part of the business that stinks,but that Cap isn’t easy to pay everybody.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
How about we turn this around. Jones wants to resign with the Rams. They need some indication of what the market will pay. So they allow Jones’ agents to speak with outside parties in order to reach an agreement that is fair for him and us. If that all sounds too boring and predictable then it’s probably the reality. Add to that talk of a knee problem and it’s probably not so much about the money but the guarantees

There is no way McVay and Shula want him to walk, nor does he, so figure on a reconciliation even if it means he plays out his contract to set the market in 2026

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Seeing how Les Snead trades go, if they are shopping him they could get a low return. If teams are legit desperate for Jones then Rams get a decent return. If they're checking the market and if they can fit him under the cap they may keep him. We know McVay and Shula want Jones to stay but it looks like they don't have the space for what he wants which is likely higher than what other teams would pay.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
The Impetus for this conversation is an originally mislabeled thread title and a tweet, give it a minute.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
This thread has 18 pages. It's clear that we here fans don't want Jones going anywhere.
I hope it's a "market test" type thing -- Having Jones & Speights on the same back line would be great this year, we really need talent on that back line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams were to trade Jones, I wouldn’t expect much of a return.

He’s been injured, he’s scheme limited, and not many teams will be pursuing him at this point. Plus, if the Rams are the ones shopping him, instead of teams calling them to see if he’s available, then that weakens their position in a trade.

I don’t expect more than a fifth round pick in this situation.

tempests

Hall of Fame
How about we turn this around. Jones wants to resign with the Rams. They need some indication of what the market will pay. So they allow Jones’ agents to speak with outside parties in order to reach an agreement that is fair for him and us. If that all sounds too boring and predictable then it’s probably the reality.
How often did they do this with other players?

Doesn't sound boring and predictable, it sounds out of the ordinary for how the Rams normally do business.