Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
How often did they do this with other players?

Doesn't sound boring and predictable, it sounds out of the ordinary for how the Rams normally do business.
The team have allowed players to test the market before bringing them back, it’s not new, it’s their standard practice outside of resigning a small handful of players (who are most often all-pro types) like Kupp and Stafford

Is it possible they want to get this done as opposed to lose him to FA next year? If so, they need to test the market, right? That said, concerns about his knee may complicate matters…

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is it possible they want to get this done as opposed to lose him to FA next year?
I don't think so. Think someone broke a story that the Rams said that ship has sailed. Either they're too far apart, or the Rams are making a business decision, but either way it's the same old ending.

Onwards and upwards. Now all they need to do is get Speights a real number. Dude looks like a fuckin DB out there.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally possible, but I think my idea is more likely. Ease Speights into the starting lineup as the season goes on and eventually have him start full time by 3/4 of the season, if he’s proven capable. Then let Jones hit free agency. Jones isn’t expensive. It’s good security.
Yeah I think it was a combination of everything, from the bum knee to the contract demands, to the lack of range, to the emergence of Speights, to handling the captain maybe losing snaps to him. Rams look at that young dude killing it and think why not pull the trigger on this decision (letting Jones walk) a year earlier than we planned.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imagine if we kept Jones and by midseason the Rams start giving snaps to Speights. And it is likely to happen I think, because if Jones is leaving after the season and you know you're not going to pay him with that knee and given his position (and the fact he's not an elite player at that position) then it makes sense to start working his replacement in there.

And at that point what happens to the locker room. Do players start picking sides. Does it erode the good things you have built up with a young defense. This stuff is real. These are real risks teams don't like taking.

So Rosenthal's suggestion might not be too far off the mark. I don't think it's as simple as he says, definitely there are a lot of things at play in the decision, but boil it down and he's probably pretty close to the truth.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think there’s any bad blood between the 2 and fully expect to see him starting game 1.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think there’s any bad blood between the 2 and fully expect to see him starting game 1.
For the record I am fine with seeing Jones out there playing angry as fuck after all this BS, and we could use that vs Detroit. But I think he's gone. Thankfully we should know soon.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't care anymore.
*scans obituaries for a good RIP thread in off topic.....

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
A few suggested the fit.

I knew McVay liked Speights… must like him A LOT.

I hope he’s good…. Will be a big win for Salary Cap if so.

Psycho_X

Legend
Man, did not have that on my BINGO card before this week. That sucks. Hopefully something worthwhile in return at least.