Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If he had the character that you speak of, he would play out his agreed contract and not try to hold the team for ransom before the season stars. This was a bitch ass move on his part and just goes to show it is all about the money for him and his MFing agent.
How is he trying to hold the team for ransom?
And the rest of your post reinforces what I said about feeling entitled.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he had the character that you speak of, he would play out his agreed contract and not try to hold the team for ransom before the season stars. This was a bitch ass move on his part and just goes to show it is all about the money for him and his MFing agent.
What are you talking about? He's in camp, preparing for the season like everyone else. He isnt holding out and he wasnt the one who was asking for a trade

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Get a clue buddy; he is holding the team for ransom by threatening to hold out, and finally I'm done with going back and forth with your ass.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If NFL teams were forced to honor contracts the same way players are,
I’d say you have an argument.

Again.. being mad at someone who works hard and does everything right seems pretty entitled to me.
Agree mostly... no blame here. Both are working with in the system as how it is set up.

Yes, teams can cut a player at any time, but they also hand out up front bonus money and if a player doesn't perform they don't get that bonus back.

A player's agent can push for an extension early and hold out if need be to force that extension. That can be considered a breach of the contract, but it's still business.

In this instance there is no hold out. Seems like everyone is honoring their previous agreement, they are just trying to see if there is any chance for an extension that both sides can live with. Jones side asked for an extension and obviously presented demands that do not interest the Rams or fit into their financial plan. So they simply told his agent to see if he can find a deal that he likes elsewhere.

That's a pretty fair approach by the Rams. Jones can gauge his market and then comeback to the Rams with their newly set market. If the Rams still feel it doesn't fit into their future plans, they can work out a trade if Jones wants that. Or he can sit tight and play out the year and look forward to FA.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Get a clue buddy; he is holding the team for ransom by threatening to hold out, and finally I'm done with going back and forth with your ass.

He...never threatened to hold out. All Ernest Jones did was say that he never asked for a trade. He went to camp, did everything there. It's not even like a Steven Jackson holdout or Aaron Donald holdout; he's participated in every drill.

What about Jones is worse than what S-Jax and AD did? Because I'll be frank: I don't see it. What all three did was business, not personal, and Jones is a much milder example than S-Jax and AD.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Agree mostly... no blame here. Both are working with in the system as how it is set up.

Yes, teams can cut a player at any time, but they also hand out up front bonus money and if a player doesn't perform they don't get that bonus back.

A player's agent can push for an extension early and hold out if need be to force that extension. That can be considered a breach of the contract, but it's still business.

In this instance there is no hold out. Seems like everyone is honoring their previous agreement, they are just trying to see if there is any chance for an extension that both sides can live with. Jones side asked for an extension and obviously presented demands that do not interest the Rams or fit into their financial plan. So they simply told his agent to see if he can find a deal that he likes elsewhere.

That's a pretty fair approach by the Rams. Jones can gauge his market and then comeback to the Rams with their newly set market. If the Rams still feel it doesn't fit into their future plans, they can work out a trade if Jones wants that. Or he can sit tight and play out the year and look forward to FA.
All good points.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He never threatened to hold out.

I get it, I wouldn’t go back and forth with someone if I was completely uninformed.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
It is the timing of this for me.

If he would have done this before the season started then so be it. Business as usual.

Bring this crap up after pre-season becomes a team distraction which is detrimental to his team mates who are counting on him now.

Can't trust him. And I bet McSnead does not either. Encouraging him to find a trade is not a small deal. It is very telling.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Since we don't know the whole backstory to this, and probably never will, and because it could work out very well for us in the long run. I'm going to chill on my South Carolina homeboy. :)

Unless we lose a game this year and then his ass is grass!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wrong sp far we have never seen him say he would hold out. As he's in camp playing right now this is a comical fabrication.

Memento

Name
Jemma

If he would have done this before the season started then so be it. Business as usual.

Bring this crap up after pre-season becomes a team distraction which is detrimental to his team mates who are counting on him now.

Can't trust him. And I bet McSnead does not either. Encouraging him to find a trade is not a small deal. It is very telling.

Again, he wasn't the one to bring it up. I think the timing is bad, but ultimately, the Rams wanted to trade him first, and he said that he never asked for a trade.

I see this as the Rams not wanting to pay an ILB lots of money and encouraging him to find a team that will. They didn't wish to pay Cory Littleton, and they probably want something like, say, a second in exchange for Jones.

To me, this is business, and good business on both parties.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
This is the right moment to seek a trade if McVay and Sneed don't see Jones in their long term plans on Defense. How many defensive players do the Rams usually commit a second contract to? Jones may be good enough to get a draft pick from some team.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I hate to do the all caps thing…

HE DIDN’T BRING IT UP IN PUBLIC. THEY’VE BEEN NEGOTIATING ALL OFFSEASON, BY ALL REPORTS.

Can’t trust him? How about can’t trust whoever leaked the “permission” thing?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I don't know about you but some of us our getting tired of this standard. Play out your agreed contract then sign a new one.
This stance would make a lot of sense if contracts were fully guaranteed. But as things are, if a player isn't performing well a team wouldn't hesitate to throw out the contract and cut him.

So if teams can cut players whenever they want, why can't players do what's in their best interests? Please explain how it makes any sense to have a "play out your agreed contact" standard only apply to one side.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before this story broke my assumption was he would play out this season and they'd let him walk in FA. I figured since they didn't get a deal done both sides were good with that.

So the timing of this is strange. He has not held out or threatened to that I know of. He posted on X that he never demanded a trade, and I have no reason to not believe him on that. This means one of two things is probably true:

1. His agent went a bridge too far with the team and demanded a look around the league for trade options. If this happened it is still on him, by the way, as he pays the dude and hasn't stood up since with a counter take in all this. The comment he made got deleted, so it's hard to say what he's thinking.

2. The Rams really like Speights and see him as a better option than paying Jones. So they told his agent, who they have not been able to find common ground with, to go ahead and find a trade.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

If he would have done what? What did he do? How do we know he brought this up? It's just as likely a team source leaked the info that the Rams are willing to trade him.

If the front office leaked it, are we gonna say we don't trust Snead or Pastoors anymore b/c they're trying to gain an advantage in a contract negotiation? Fire Snead (or someone on his staff) for creating a team distraction? The standard should be the same for all parties involved.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Before this story broke my assumption was he would play out this season and they'd let him walk in FA. I figured since they didn't get a deal done both sides were good with that.

So the timing of this is strange. He has not held out or threatened to that I know of. He posted on X that he never demanded a trade, and I have no reason to not believe him on that. This means one of two things is probably true:

1. His agent went a bridge too far with the team and demanded a look around the league for trade options. If this happened it is still on him, by the way, as he pays the dude and hasn't stood up since with a counter take in all this. The comment he made got deleted, so it's hard to say what he's thinking.

2. The Rams really like Speights and see him as a better option than paying Jones. So they told his agent, who they have not been able to find common ground with, to go ahead and find a trade.
The bolded is what I believe. Speights earned himself a job and plays the same ILB spot as Jones. They also have Hummel and Rozeboom (as much as y'all don't like Rozeboom, I think he's a good enough special teams player to keep), and they obviously like Reeder for whatever weird reason. Maybe they even want to keep an extra safety instead of Reeder/Rozeboom (which is what I'd do, actually; I don't want to lose any of the top seven)? Maybe they want to recoup the second that they lost?

But ultimately, until we have further details/Jones is dealt/re-signed/whatever, we're only speculating.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

100% agree with this. I would add nuance though to option 2. Call it 2b:

2b. The Rams really like Speights and see him as a better option than paying Jones the amount he's looking for, but would prefer Jones at the amount they're willing to pay. So they told his agent, who they have not been able to find common ground with, to go ahead and explore a trade. If there is a team willing to pay Jones his asking price, then bye bye. But they could equally live with his agent discovering that the market values him lower than he values himself and retain him on a contract that's palatable to the Rams.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
An ankle injury and then a knee. I think the Rams may be worried about him staying healthy. And don't scoff at Speights. The guy can play.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John

This seems reasonable.

At some point it appears the Rams found this to be too much of a distraction for its worth. Maybe EJ was getting too mouthy in the locker room.

If this was nothing, we would not know anything about it. No matter who made it public.