Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This stance would make a lot of sense if contracts were fully guaranteed. But as things are, if a player isn't performing well a team wouldn't hesitate to throw out the contract and cut him.

So if teams can cut players whenever they want, why can't players do what's in their best interests? Please explain how it makes any sense to have a "play out your agreed contact" standard only apply to one side.
I'm sure this has been brought up earlier but we keep talking about "contracts". The only contract players/teams have is the GUARANTEED money. Journalists should stop referencing contracts as 4 or 5-year deals when the only thing that matters is the guaranteed money. The years don't mean anything. If Jones sucked last year he would have been cut this year with no compensation. On the other hand, if Jones got hurt in year 1 (ala Gurley) the Rams would have been forced to pay up. That's just the way it is and it's fair.

In regards to Earnest Jones, the Rams probably got sick and tired of hearing his agent bark at them and told him to go seek a trade. His agent knows that if he gets injured this year, he won't get crap next year, so might as well threaten the Rams while they have some negotiating power. I'm sure his agent also knows that the Rams will probably not sign Earnest to a second contract.

This is the business side of sports that I despise and money is the root of all evil.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This seems reasonable.

At some point it appears the Rams found this to be too much of a distraction for its worth. Maybe EJ was getting too mouthy in the locker room.

If this was nothing, we would not know anything about it. No matter who made it public.
Lots of assumptions there.

And all to reinforce one point of view.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2b. The Rams really like Speights and see him as a better option than paying Jones the amount he's looking for, but would prefer Jones at the amount they're willing to pay.
Certainly possible. But ILB is rough man. You take a beating in there and Jones has that knee issue.

So I think it's even odds or maybe better that they love Speights (who is young, fresh legs, and excellent range) and want him in that role down the road. Question is when.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Certainly possible. But ILB is rough man. You take a beating in there and Jones has that knee issue.

So I think it's even odds or maybe better that they love Speights (who is young, fresh legs, and excellent range) and want him in that role down the road. Question is when.
Yes, both are possibilities. The knee definitely muddies the waters.

Like you though, I've suspected that this will be his last year in horns. When they couldn't agree on an extension and announced he would play out his last year, given his position, I figured then that there was a 90% chance he wouldn't be back.

WestCoastRam

Legend
All this for a guy who's gonna play out the final year of his contract with us. SMH

Edit: well sh*t

Last edited:

dang

Legend
An ankle injury and then a knee. I think the Rams may be worried about him staying healthy. And don't scoff at Speights. The guy can play.
Speights is a rook and there’s only one of him. Not sure how good Hummel is yet but Rozeboom is depth and Reeder is just low grade meat on the platter.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they trade him who starts. Very interesting to think about.

I would start Speights. Straight up.

Psycho_X

Legend
If they trade him who starts. Very interesting to think about.

I would start Speights. Straight up.
Yeah I'd deal with growing pains of a rookie to see what he can do. We know what Reeder can... or can't... do already. Hummel seems ok in coverage but don't trust him in run game. Only question is I don't know if Speights had the green dot in preseason and can do that. But I guess if not can always throw it on Jon Johnson to start the season at least.