Ernest Jones Traded to Titans (Titans Now Trading Him to Seattle)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
And I've answered that reasonable question many times. Read, posted in this thread, some of Andrew Whitworth's comments regarding Jones and why the Rams traded him. He makes it sound like the Rams needed to get rid of him because of his attitude and how he handled everything in camp this year.

Now Titans also gave up on him early in the season and found a GM who actually is shitty at trades.

Now what I think is a reasonable question back at you. Is Ernest Jones more valuable than DeAndre Hopkins? He just got a hell of a lot more back in a trade than Hopkins did. The difference? Kansas City has a very good GM and Seattle does not. IMO that comparison of GM's is backed up by a hell of a lot of data.

Sorry but I don't think I got a simple direct answer, so I have to just assume that You ARE Comfortable with How the Rams' Decision Makers look with regard to the Ernest Jones matter?

That's OK ... I'm not ... Really Not

My answer to your question (above):
I think Hopkins is a more valuable player (even at this point in his career) than Jones.

You made me go-back to find Whitworth's comments. Good stuff but I don't agree with all of them (bolded)

FYI, here is what I found from August 27th:
"So if he’s not going to start. And not going to be happy about that. And you’re content moving on. You leave him on the roster. To be unhappy vet on young defense. Jones should be starting ... for the Rams!

It’s called culture building. You do right by him and trade him. Let him play elsewhere.
OK but how about a reasonable trade, with fair compensation in return.

Trade compensation is like stats. Much more than the numbers.
NO! Good draft choices are important and valuable ... they help build a strong roster.

Now you have culture where guys trust you. We not going to pay you and want to move younger. We will do right by you and not hold you hostage. Let you go earn it. Greater later for everyone."
The Rams are Not younger at ILB ... they are older. Opponents will know the Rams will accept less in trade compensation because they are more focused on 'doing right' by the player

Personally, I think one of the Rams' weaker positions was made far-more-weak by trading-away it's best player. A third round pick who was very productive last year was given-away, and has (thus far) been replaced by less effective players. The Rams did not get back reasonable compensation, and are having a disappointing season ... in part because of their weak ILBs.

I hated the trade in late-August, and have numerous posts on this thread to that point. I have been disgusted with the Rams' ILB-play thus far. Finally, today's trade just drives home my initial opinion and magnifies my current disappointment.

I have said enough on this topic ... unless someone miss-represents my prior comments.
Besides, I have plans to make. I have been invited to @RamFan503 for dinner. I have Tupperware to buy!

Last edited:

JYB

Starter
Sorry I missed your blue font because there is no way in hell you can honestly say this trade is anywhere as bad as anything Snead has done.

Two first round picks a 3rd round pick and a player. You're fooling yourself but nobody else. And then they signed him to a 4 year $70 million contract which he played 34 games in 4 years before they cut him not even traded they cut him!
Yeah, the Adams trade was really, really stupid. Yes -- worse than Snead's trade. But it doesn't make the Ernest Jones trade smell any better.

OK, now that that straw man is dead, you can go back to being the Blue Font Police. :laugh2:

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
In all reality, we would never have got what the Titans got for Jones and definitely wouldn't have been trading with the Seahawks. We got what his value was at the time. That being said we could have kept him and got nothing or had negative value if he is indeed a cancer in the locker room

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He was a problem at USC during college and I DO know this....

He wasnt very well liked in Columbia. Related? Maybe, maybe not....im moving on.....

I would love to see a source suggesting this. Don't remember reading any such thing when he was drafted.

Took a look at half-a-dozen Draft Profiles and analyses, and absolutely nothing to support these comments. Not saying they are not accurate but just don't see anything at all. Maybe you have some inside information. Want to share a little?

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
McVay doesn't run the ball. Wish he would, but he just won't.
Honestly, I thought he ran too much against the Raiduhs. Ah perceptions.
Our o-line was the difference in winning or losing versus the Raiders, IMO.
The two rookies starters graded higher than or regular starters.
Dedich will have a whole week to work with the starters and that should improve everybody's confidence and maybe we can get a better game out of Stafford.
I can see what you're saying but it was the defense that saved our O-line from having to deal with becoming one demensional.
You mean So Ram isn't AI?
That's what I was thinking
Too funny. Hell. It WOULD make sense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
EJ getting traded from the Titans just a few months after getting traded to the Titans certainly adds some weight that he was becoming a locker room problem. We can't really know what exactly was going on, but for TN to discard him that quickly is definitely telling us something.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
EJ getting traded from the Titans just a few months after getting traded to the Titans certainly adds some weight that he was becoming a locker room problem. We can't really know what exactly was going on, but for TN to discard him that quickly is definitely telling us something.
If you consider the following factors, I don't think so.

Tennessee is a one-win team and in a re-build. Moved Hopkins and may move Landry.

The Titans have a solid and well-paid #1 ILB in 2024 free agent acquisition Kenneth Murray.

If TN decided it was not going to re-sign Jones, there was probably not going to be a comp pick if he left as a free agent because TN will have over $70M of cap space in 2025. They figure to be buyers in free agency; and that means more additions than subtractions, which means no compensatory picks.

So the smart move would be to trade Jones and get something back.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but I don't think I got a simple direct answer, so I have to just assume that You ARE Comfortable with How the Rams' Decision Makers look with regard to the Ernest Jones matter?

That's OK ... I'm not ... Really Not

My answer to your question (above):
I think Hopkins is a more valuable player (even at this point in his career) than Jones.

You made me go-back to find Whitworth's comments. Good stuff but I don't agree with all of them (bolded)

FYI, here is what I found from August 27th:
"So if he’s not going to start. And not going to be happy about that. And you’re content moving on. You leave him on the roster. To be unhappy vet on young defense. Jones should be starting ... for the Rams!

It’s called culture building. You do right by him and trade him. Let him play elsewhere.
OK but how about a reasonable trade, with fair compensation in return.

Trade compensation is like stats. Much more than the numbers.
NO! Good draft choices are important and valuable ... they help build a strong roster.

Now you have culture where guys trust you. We not going to pay you and want to move younger. We will do right by you and not hold you hostage. Let you go earn it. Greater later for everyone."
The Rams are Not younger at ILB ... they are older. Opponents will know the Rams will accept less in trade compensation because they are more focused on 'doing right' by the player

Personally, I think one of the Rams' weaker positions was made far-more-weak by trading-away it's best player. A third round pick who was very productive last year was given-away, and has (thus far) been replaced by less effective players. The Rams did not get back reasonable compensation, and are having a disappointing season ... in part because of their weak ILBs.

I hated the trade in late-August, and have numerous posts on this thread to that point. I have been disgusted with the Rams' ILB-play thus far. Finally, today's trade just drives home my initial opinion and magnifies my current disappointment.

I have said enough on this topic ... unless someone miss-represents my prior comments.
Besides, I have plans to make. I have been invited to @RamFan503 for dinner. I have Tupperware to buy!
You'll like @RamFan503 's rocky mountain oysters!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We didn't even get a single pick for him. Just a pick swap. You don't think we could have even gotten a single draft pick for a starting LB that led our team in tackles?
There’s a lot of things they do, that I don’t understand.

We also don’t know how many teams were interested in Jones at the time of the trade.
I’m sure they didn’t take the cheapest offer.
The timing of the trade didn’t help, either.

I’m not one to get upset over trade compensation, most of the time, because I have no idea what offers are even out there from other teams.
Everything in life is only worth what you can get for it.

Name
Jamall
jake ellobogen said that jones came in out of shape and didn’t look like his self and he was terrible in joint practices that and a reason he couldn’t speak on is why jones got traded

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jake ellobogen said that jones came in out of shape and didn’t look like his self and he was terrible in joint practices that and a reason he couldn’t speak on is why jones got traded
He’s so full of shit.
nothing but a wannabe insider who’s just a jock sniffer