Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'd keep my eye on WR, OL, DT, CB, & S in the first for the Rams. I'd be shocked if they drafted outside of those positions

A55VA6

Legend
Rams hold the 2nd and 12th pick as it stands right now. We could really do some damage in this draft if done correctly!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't see any possibility that the Rams would use a first round pick on a QB. The odds of keeping Saffold are slim and after seeing him at guard that is where I would project him. The O line is still in need of some fresh blood and Matthews seems to be the obvious pick in the top 5 for the Rams. If they are able to make a trade down that would open a lot of possibilities with the other than O Line. With 2 mid first round picks you would think they have to look at a CB Roberson/Denard/Purifoy and maybe one of Lee/Evans/Watkins

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
OK. This is my guy - Darqueze Dennard. I don't care where we get him, but I want him. I have a feeling he will be going in the top 10 by draft day.

jjab360

Legend
OK. This is my guy - Darqueze Dennard. I don't care where we get him, but I want him. I have a feeling he will be going in the top 10 by draft day.
I haven't seen that much of Dennard tbh max, could you give me a quick scouting report? For example is he better in man or zone, press or off coverage, boundary or slot corner?

If he really does end up being a top 10 prospect, that would be awesome for us, we need a stud defensive back right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't seen that much of Dennard tbh max, could you give me a quick scouting report? For example is he better in man or zone, press or off coverage, boundary or slot corner?

If he really does end up being a top 10 prospect, that would be awesome for us, we need a stud defensive back right now.

Dennard is a boundary corner that excels most in press coverage. Extremely physical but capable of running stride for stride with the WR. Great instincts. Tracks the ball as well as anyone in this class(better really) with his back to the QB and times his pass break-ups better than anyone in this class. Understands how to toe the line between a broken up pass and a penalty and does it extremely well.

Sadly, I worry that we'd misuse him...end up asking him to play 10 yards off the LOS like we do with Jenks and Tru. But he's definitely worth a top 15 pick. Natural cover CB.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I'm no scout, but when I watched him against OSU, Dennard was extremely physical, really getting into the receivers face, and bullying him off his route. And he is so quick to turn and locate the football, which I think is the key to playing CB well. He is listed at 5'11" but plays bigger and he's definitely a CB who can play big WR1 on the outside. He fits Fisher's style really well. Just watch him rocket up the board over the next few months.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Will ticket for driving 110 mph affect Jadeveon Clowney in draft?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rt-jadeveon-clowney-cited-for-driving-110-mph

Traffic offenses by themselves might not do harm to an NFL prospect's draft status, but that doesn't mean NFL clubs won't take note of the ticket Jadeveon Clowney received Saturday night for driving 110 mph in a 70-mph zone. The South Carolina star was stopped by the South Carolina Highway Patrol on Interstate 77, driving a Chrysler 300, at around 7:30 p.m. ET, according to wistv.com.

The Gamecocks' star junior is expected to declare early eligibility for the 2014 NFL Draft in the coming weeks. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks, a former NFL scout, said Clowney's ticket won't go unnoticed

"With Jadeveon Clowney, it would be a concern because it's part of a pattern of behavior," Brooks said. "It all may cause clubs to just pause and ask more questions. You've got the tie to Jay-Z, the injury stuff, the questions about effort. You're trying to figure out who you're bringing into the locker room, because if he goes No. 1, 2 or 3, he's the face of the franchise, or one of them. ... Anytime there is some reckless behavior, you want to know what's behind it. They'll ask him about (the ticket) point blank."

Clowney was not arrested and there were no other citations, according to the report. It's unclear what Clowney's fine for the ticket was, but the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles website indicates that fines for moving violations of any kind don't typically exceed $500. It also means six points on Clowney's driving record -- half the points needed to suspend a driver's license -- because he was clocked at more than 25 mph faster than the posted limit.

Clowney and the Gamecocks are preparing to face Wisconsin on Jan. 1 in the Capital One Bowl.

jjab360

Legend
Dennard is a boundary corner that excels most in press coverage. Extremely physical but capable of running stride for stride with the WR. Great instincts. Tracks the ball as well as anyone in this class(better really) with his back to the QB and times his pass break-ups better than anyone in this class. Understands how to toe the line between a broken up pass and a penalty and does it extremely well.

Sadly, I worry that we'd misuse him...end up asking him to play 10 yards off the LOS like we do with Jenks and Tru. But he's definitely worth a top 15 pick. Natural cover CB.
That's what I'm worried about too. That's why I've been paying extra attention to some of the smaller, quicker corners who might actually fit that system like Ekpre-Olomu, Verrett, and Lamarcus Joyner.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does any ROD'mers have much information on the two extra draft picks (besides the Redskins first round 2014 selection on the draft) a 2014 draft pick coming from the Indianapolis Colts for CB Josh Gordy and the undisclosed late-round 2014 pick from New England - WR Greg Salas?

Looks like the Cleveland Browns have much ammo to move & trade to get what they want in this 2014 draft. The Browns 7 draft selections in the first 4 rounds. Two first round picks, a second rd pick, two 3rd rd picks & two 4th rd picks....hey Brownies want to move up in the first round of the 2014 draft???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does any ROD'mers have much information on the two extra draft picks (besides the Redskins first round 2014 selection on the draft) a 2014 draft pick coming from the Indianapolis Colts for CB Josh Gordy and the undisclosed late-round 2014 pick from New England - WR Greg Salas?

Looks like the Cleveland Browns have much ammo to move & trade to get what they want in this 2014 draft. The Browns 7 draft selections in the first 4 rounds. Two first round picks, a second rd pick, two 3rd rd picks & two 4th rd picks....hey Brownies want to move up in the first round of the 2014 draft???

I think our pick from NE was a 2015 7th. Could be wrong. Believe we do have the Colts 7th for Gordy. Again, could be wrong.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think our pick from NE was a 2015 7th. Could be wrong. Believe we do have the Colts 7th for Gordy. Again, could be wrong.

We don't have the Colts seventh round pick; they traded it away to the 49ers for Cam Johnson. The pick is still undisclosed, but I'm assuming that it's a fifth or a sixth round pick. The Salas pick is in 2015, though.

From this years draft:

"No. 22: St. Louis → Atlanta (D). St. Louis traded this selection and a seventh-round selection in 2015 (via New England) to Atlanta in exchange for Atlanta's 2013 first- (30th), third- (92nd), and sixth- (198th) round selections"

TexasRam

Legend
I'm no scout, but when I watched him against OSU, Dennard was extremely physical, really getting into the receivers face, and bullying him off his route. And he is so quick to turn and locate the football, which I think is the key to playing CB well. He is listed at 5'11" but plays bigger and he's definitely a CB who can play big WR1 on the outside. He fits Fisher's style really well. Just watch him rocket up the board over the next few months.

Dennard is they guy we need to target. Sticky as glue. Perfect technique. Shut down corner Instincts. Natural corner. Top Notch Ball Skills. Watched him play the last few weeks and he's always in position step for step with the WR and denying the catch.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As I see at the moment it its highly probable that the Rams will not be able resign...

#1-Rams 2013 opening starter @ ORT or you could say the Rams ending top swing reserve OT & OG.
#2-Rams 2013 opening starting Nickle-Back Cortland Finnegan will be released in a cap saving move.
#3-Rams 2013 base OSLB'er Jo Lunn Dunbar to March 13th free agency.
#4-Rams will release Vet 33 yr old center Scott Wells to save 10 million over two yrs 2014/2015

Replacing these probable veterans departures must be replaced mostly through the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. He has issues with dropped passes. Mike Evans is a better version of him imo. But this should probably go in the prospect talk thread.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Does anyone think if we added a CB like Denard (is see it unlikely, as I think Fish likes Jenks & Tru) that Jenks would bump inside to the slot. Imo his instincts would suit him very well in the slot and Jenks is definately our most athletic corner