Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NorCalRamFan

Last year I mentioned the Rams should take a hard look at LB Kiko Alonso from the Ducks. He is a frontrunner for the RDPOY this year for the Bills. Here's some Oregon Ducks that are unheard of late round prospects that I think could be diamonds in the rough. Taylor Hart http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204773861&Q_SEASON=2013 and Avery Patterson http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204830527&Q_SEASON=2013

So as a Ducks fan I've got to clue you guys into the defensive scheme that they run. They run a hybrid 3-4/4-3 2 gap which requires the defensive linemen to mostly just eat up space instead of being active and aggressive. That said, Taylor Hart has been just an animal and very durable also. In fact, I don't recall him missing any playing time his entire college career. Another thing to consider is the strength and conditioning program isn't designed to produce NFL type bodies. I think Hart has the frame and athleticism once he's in an NFL weight program to get bigger. His motor is non-stop constant 110% effort.

Avery Patterson was the starting safety last year for the Ducks and was just tearing it up until an ACL injury. He's not NFL size for safety, but consider this. He was recruited out of HS for CB, and Ducks DB coach John Neal puts the best DB's on the field, not necessarily the most prototypical body for the position. The Ducks have been pretty successful putting DB's into the NFL. Jairus Byrd, Patrick Chung, Walter Thurmond III, and TJ Ward are recent examples. Patterson IMHO would be a great late round or UDFA to bring in for nickel/special teamer.

Yeah, I was talking up Kiko Alonzo last draft as well although I'm happy with Ogletree who is going to be a terror. I'm surprised he didn't get any ROY consideration when you look at his numbers such as tackles and FF's and how he got better as the season went along.

NorCalRamFan

I'm with you about dumping Finnegan but I want us to take an OT in the first round. I think it will be just like last year and all the good OTs will go early.

I don't think Fisher ever takes OL's in the 1st round though.

Alan

Legend
That has been his SOP but I expect/hope that to change this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm with you about dumping Finnegan but I want us to take an OT in the first round. I think it will be just like last year and all the good OTs will go early.

Could be. The difference is this year there are more blue chip players outside of OT. Last year the QBs were weak. The best WR was a slot guy. There wasn't a stud DE like Clowney. So there are at least 4 players this year that could reasonably go before Matthews. Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Clowney, and Watkins could all go before Matthews. Last year it was all about the OTs. And I think the OTs this year are better than last years.

It's gonna be hard for Snead/Fisher not to improve the team in this draft.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That has been his SOP but I expect/hope that to change this year.

I don't know what to expect. I do know that we are weaker on the interior OL than at OT. So we do need Guards and maybe a Center if Jones busts.

Our 2 best WRs were undersized rookies, and I don't think we can depend on Givens or Quick to be a quality starter. So I don't like standing pat with this crew.

And we need another CB, and a FS.

Fisher and Snead have to fit that all into the draft an FA.

Alan

Legend
Good points max but I see the only difference being less of them will be picked in the top 10. I actually like the WRs better this year than last year. Of course you are so right about the QB class last year. One QB (Manuel @16) taken in the whole first round won't be duplicated for a long time IMO.

With two first round picks it would be hard to not improve. Of course we could do something foolish like trade up again. I still haven't taken my virtual foot out of the TV from last years trade up. :frown:

Max adding:
I don't know what to expect. I do know that we are weaker on the interior OL than at OT. So we do need Guards and maybe a Center if Jones busts.

Our 2 best WRs were undersized rookies, and I don't think we can depend on Givens or Quick to be a quality starter. So I don't like standing pat with this crew.

And we need another CB, and a FS.

Fisher and Snead have to fit that all into the draft an FA.

Saffold and Barksdale are not options at LT IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You can bet your the bank on that Alan! Not just OT's either!

I don't know what to expect. I do know that we are weaker on the interior OL than at OT. So we do need Guards and maybe a Center if Jones busts. And we need another CB, and a FS.

Don't know how you could be much weaker than having only ONE (1) healthy OT on our team max?

Sure agree with you on the DB's.

Alan

Legend
Yeah Bonifay, I think teams are desperately looking for means to improve their passing game and great O-lines will make even average QBs look good. It's a passing league and besides the O-line you only have two more options.

The first option is a great QB but they are very very hard to find and even if you find them we've seen from Sam that you need more than just a great QB.

The second option is great WRs but as the Rams have found out, they don't grow on trees either. No doubt in my mind that the O-line is the key to success and the easiest to achieve. You don't need great players. A group of good players working together as a team can be a great O-line.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
How about Terrance Mitchell? He entered the draft. I've heard he's a better cover CB than Ekpre-Olomu.

I don't think Mitchell had declared when I first posted? Mitchell has good coverage skills but is very slow. I've heard rumors of 4.7 electronic times but can't verify. Of course Jairus Byrd I think was a corner converted to safety because of foot speed and that turned out well. Mitchell has good size, 6' 190ish.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Mitchell had declared when I first posted? Mitchell has good coverage skills but is very slow. I've heard rumors of 4.7 electronic times but can't verify. Of course Jairus Byrd I think was a corner converted to safety because of foot speed and that turned out well. Mitchell has good size, 6' 190ish.

He hadn't but I saw he declared and with you being an Oregon fan, I wanted to ask you about him. :wink: