Dodgers 21 year old SS prospect dominating AAA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well this thread certainly went off the rails. How did a thread about an up and coming Dodger prospect become a thread about the DH?

Funny thing is, this would probably make for an interesting thread. I would even bet that more people would participate if they thought it was about the DH rule rather than a minor league Dodger player. And this is coming from a life long Dodger fan.

Personally, I always thought the DH rule was lame. And I would have been ticked if I wasn't allowed to bat when I pitched in my baseball days.

My bad. :p ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then the AL should prevail. Yet they haven't. Offense is scoring runs and hits are only one component of offense. Advancing runners and scoring runs via sacrifice, taking the extra base, stealing bases all add greatly to an offense but are not reflected in batting avg.
You aren’t making sense.
The Al is only superior comparing a pitcher offense to a DH offense.
If the NL is better offensively when they use a DH vs AL using DH, it supports using a DH

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Statistically the offense isn’t superior. But enough of derailing this thread about an amazing young Dodger player.
A-friggin-Men
What is this kid doing these days? Is he in AAA?
The Dodgers man, they always have a ROY candidate

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is this kid doing these days? Is he in AAA?

Yup. AAA, playing mainly short but some 2b, his probable position if he gets promoted this season or even next.

His slash line is "down" to only .396/.480/.734 over 223 plate appearances. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there are rumors he will be promoted so he could take part in the playoffs, to upgrade at 2b. AND he would be a good DH too :whistle:

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
Yup. AAA, playing mainly short but some 2b, his probable position if he gets promoted this season or even next.

His slash line is "down" to only .396/.480/.734 over 223 plate appearances. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there are rumors he will be promoted so he could take part in the playoffs, to upgrade at 2b. AND he would be a good DH too :whistle:
My Pops, my boy and I saw him play a few times in Rancho, their High A team. Only took a few games before we were saying, “that boy’s not gonna be here long.”

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
And thank you all for not bringing Doyer pitching as of late.

All hospitals in Dodgerlanda better have a cadre of cardiologists on hand 24/7.

Here we go again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As a Yankee fan I prefer the DH. I'd rather see a real hitter at bat with the bases loaded than a pitcher or Pinch hitter.

I have also seen enough of pitchers that can't run, or hit. Chien Ming Wang was the Yankees ace a few years ago and got a Lys franc injury running the bases. His career as a stud major leaguer was over. He's bounced around since then and goes from one club to another and ends up demoted.

Let the players do what they do best. Let them make their money and stay healthy as long as possible. Great pitchers are paid to pitch.

Lux is quite impressive btw. At 21 putting up AAA numbers like that he is about as sure a thing as they come. But remember, these things don't always come to fruition. Profar was a can't miss prospect and he hasn't been the great MLer that he was expected to be. There are some players that rake in AAA and can't do it in the majors. They are called AAAA players. Hopefully Lux pans out.

I've been envious of the Dodgers farm system for several years. I'm glad the Yankees finally started paying attention to what developing talent can do for a team. They've greatly improved their scouting and player evaluation system to become similar to the Dodgers and Astros. It feels good to know that there is a stacked farm to build for the future.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
I agree with you about Lux, Elmgrove, though I disagree with your choice of team :p. Lux is killin it in AAA, but all he's killing are AAA pitchers, who are in AAA cuz they aren't MLB caliber material. Lux could very well end up being a .250 hitter or a .350 in the bigs. Ya never know. But of course I'd take him over someone hitting only .275.

DH, no thanks. Pitchers are big boys and should carry their weight. But if the reasoning for the DH is to hsve the best possible, why not allow more DHs for weak-hitting 2B or catchers, etc? Why not Designated Runners too? I'd rather see Chris Taylor running the bases than Max Muncy or Russell Martin, wouldn't you?

Where do we draw the line? Why not be like football: offensive and defensive squads. 9 batters, and 9 fielders. That would ensure the best players on offense and defense.

All the DH does is create specialized one-trick ponies of pitchers and hitters. Let the AL and all other leagues DH, fine with me. Just keep it out of the NL.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Gavin Lux era is beginning!

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/news/gavin-lux-called-up-to-dodgers

PHOENIX -- The first-place Dodgers are getting a huge boost for the final month of the regular season.
Infielder Gavin Lux, Los Angeles’ No. 1 prospect and MLB’s No. 9 prospect per MLB Pipeline, will be called up to the Majors for the first time, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said after Sunday’s 4-3, 11-inning win over the D-backs. The club has not officially announced the move.
Lux is expected to start Monday’s series opener against the Rockies at second base, according to Roberts.
Rosters expanded from 25 players to 40 on Sunday, a day after Roberts had said the team was “really contemplating” calling up Lux to the big leagues.

Lux, who didn’t play Sunday for Triple-A Oklahoma City, has raked all season in the Minors. He batted .347/.421/.607 with 26 homers and 76 RBIs in 113 games between Oklahoma City and Double-A Tulsa. After being promoted to Triple-A, Lux batted .392/.478/.719 with 13 home runs and 39 RBIs in 49 games.

Lux highlights from ST

The 21-year-old infielder also had a 50-game on-base streak that ended Aug. 16.
Lux wasn’t with the Dodgers for Sunday’s series finale against the D-backs at Chase Field, as the club added only three players to its expanded roster: right-handers Ross Stripling and Dylan Floro and infielder David Freese.
On Saturday, when Roberts was asked about the pros and cons of a potential Lux callup, he only listed positives.
“There’s really not a whole lot of downside,” Roberts said. “I think the benefits are the at-bat quality, the versatility that he potentially could give you, the speed aspect of it, giving him a runway, getting his feet wet at the big league level. There’s a lot of upside.”
___________________________________________________________________________________________

If he continues his hitting - not dominating of course, but like you'd expect somebody who was hitting like that and then promoted to the majors - that could be a big boost for the Dodgers.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Very thrilling. But sorry, it wasn't Gibson 1988. Best closer in the majors, facing a nearly crippled Kirk Gibson with two outs and the Dodgers down by 1. The rest . . . is history.

Game 1? No way. Multiple at bats with series ending final strikes down by 2 runs ties game then later wins game with walk off homerun. Staving off a series ending trumps a Game 1.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Very thrilling. But sorry, it wasn't Gibson 1988. Best closer in the majors, facing a nearly crippled Kirk Gibson with two outs and the Dodgers down by 1. The rest . . . is history.

The Cardinals were facing elimination by one strike when Freese came up to bat. One two run triple tied the game. Then he walked it off with a home run.

Like coconut said, it's apples to oranges. I'm definitely not saying that Gibson's wasn't thrilling...but it didn't have exactly the same context as Freese.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First plate appearance in the majors, first pitch seen, first line drive single, first run scored for Lux.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First plate appearance in the majors, first pitch seen, first line drive single, first run scored for Lux.

My bad. Two plate appearances, two line drives, a single and a double, two runs scored.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
He also looks good at 2B. Good soft hands, receiving the ball, not stopping it. No chances to flash the leather like Kiké yet, but he looks to be able to handle 2B just fine

Going to Sat game against the giants. Looking forward to seeing him play

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's been slumping, but hit his first major league homer tonight.