Dodgers 21 year old SS prospect dominating AAA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gavin Lux's slash line since being promoted is .483/.558/.944. Only 104 plate appearances, but that is a serious kick-ass average, with a good number of walks, and 21 of his 43 hits are for extra bases. Again, a 21 year old SS in AAA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
He's putting up better numbers down there than SeaGoat. I was talking to a few Dodger fan family that wanted AF to trade for a middle infielder, couldn't help myself from laughing at that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, he's got nothing on Carlson and Gorman. Carlson is twenty years old and ripping apart Double-A. He'll be in the bigs this year. Gorman is killing High-A, and he's just nineteen.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, he's got nothing on Carlson and Gorman. Carlson is twenty years old and ripping apart Double-A. He'll be in the bigs this year. Gorman is killing High-A, and he's just nineteen.

They're good prospects. It's not clear what sort of batting average that Carlson will hit for - he's hitting for a lot of power this year, but is striking out a lot. Still, a good RF prospect. Gorman has talent, but needs to put it together. A ton of strikeouts, especially for single A - 117 so far this season. Nice power. Unimpressive batting average, but that could change if he can reduce his Ks. They're nice prospects, but Gorman especially needs to put it together before he really advances. I'd expect both to be major leaguers, not clear especially for Gorman what kind of major leaguer he'll be. As you advance up the pipeline, the pitchers get better and better at throwing pitches that even great hitters swing and miss at - and both of those prospects are already swinging and missing at a lot of pitches. FWIW http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019 has Gorman at #31 (which surprises me - I'm skeptical about prospects who K a VERY high amount, especially in single A) and Carlson at #52. Lux is #10.

Memento

Name
Jemma
They're good prospects. It's not clear what sort of batting average that Carlson will hit for - he's hitting for a lot of power this year, but is striking out a lot. Still, a good RF prospect. Gorman has talent, but needs to put it together. A ton of strikeouts, especially for single A - 117 so far this season. Nice power. Unimpressive batting average, but that could change if he can reduce his Ks. They're nice prospects, but Gorman especially needs to put it together before he really advances. I'd expect both to be major leaguers, not clear especially for Gorman what kind of major leaguer he'll be. As you advance up the pipeline, the pitchers get better and better at throwing pitches that even great hitters swing and miss at - and both of those prospects are already swinging and missing at a lot of pitches. FWIW http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019 has Gorman at #31 (which surprises me - I'm skeptical about prospects who K a VERY high amount, especially in single A) and Carlson at #52. Lux is #10.

Again, Gorman is only nineteen, and he's in High-A. He has plenty of time to learn plate discipline, and while he'll never be Arenado at the hot corner, he's got a good enough glove. And the power. I'd grade it as a seventy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gorman become a forty home run hitter, even with a low average. That's the kind of power he has.

Carlson is striking out a lot, true. He's also in the top ten in all of Double A in home runs, OBP, slugging percentage, OPS, doubles, triples, and batting average, amongst other things. He's been nothing short of dominant in a league where he's at least four years younger than the competition.

Then you have Elehuris Montero in Springfield at twenty. He's injured right now, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him get to Triple-A next year. Great hitter, but I'm concerned about his defense at third.

Hopefully the National League bites the bullet and institutes the designated hitter, so that we can see people like Montero play without pitchers embarrassing themselves at the plate.

Also, I wouldn't give up on Seager yet. He's a hell of a shortstop.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah when you look at their slash lines they have nothing on Luxx plus he's an above average fielder at a MI position. Those two may end up being good players in the majors but right now they're far behind Gavin.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah when you look at their slash lines they have nothing on Luxx plus he's an above average fielder at a MI position. Those two may end up being good players in the majors but right now they're far behind Gavin.

Lux is a hell of a prospect, and deserves his accolades. I think that both Gorman and Carlson become great. Carlson, in particular, is not that far behind Lux, in my honest opinion. He'll win the Double-A MVP at the rate he's going, and Lux's stats in Triple-A - while amazing - are still a small sample size compared to Gorman and Carlson.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lux is a hell of a prospect, and deserves his accolades. I think that both Gorman and Carlson become great. Carlson, in particular, is not that far behind Lux, in my honest opinion. He'll win the Double-A MVP at the rate he's going, and Lux's stats in Triple-A - while amazing - are still a small sample size compared to Gorman and Carlson.
I get what you're saying but this is the difference, both of them could be great minor league players. Luxx already is.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I get what you're saying but this is the difference, both of them could be great minor league players. Luxx already is.

By great, I meant major leagues. Sorry for the lack of clarification. I think Lux becomes great as well. I'm hoping for a friendly rivalry with your Dodgers; I'm sick of the fucking Cubs winning. :p

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, Gorman is only nineteen, and he's in High-A. He has plenty of time to learn plate discipline, and while he'll never be Arenado at the hot corner, he's got a good enough glove. And the power. I'd grade it as a seventy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gorman become a forty home run hitter, even with a low average. That's the kind of power he has.

Carlson is striking out a lot, true. He's also in the top ten in all of Double A in home runs, OBP, slugging percentage, OPS, doubles, triples, and batting average, amongst other things. He's been nothing short of dominant in a league where he's at least four years younger than the competition.

Then you have Elehuris Montero in Springfield at twenty. He's injured right now, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him get to Triple-A next year. Great hitter, but I'm concerned about his defense at third.

Hopefully the National League bites the bullet and institutes the designated hitter, so that we can see people like Montero play without pitchers embarrassing themselves at the plate.

Also, I wouldn't give up on Seager yet. He's a hell of a shortstop.

As I said, they're good prospects. But not every good prospect makes it. Minor league history is littered with guys who look like they'll be stars, and who don't make it because of a fundamental flaw - probably the most important is making contact. Some with high K rates improve enough to be productive major leaguers. Many don't. They end up with even higher k rates as the pitchers get better at throwing strikes with their off speed pitches. Figure most of the at bats in single A are against pitchers who will never sniff the majors. Even a large number of AA pitchers only have a cup of coffee at best. Because of that, I'm skeptical about batters who seem to have a major hole in their plate appearances, especially a high K rate. Some fix the hole, but they need to improve at least as fast as the elite pitchers at each level. Not all do.

I think the chances of Carlson being a productive major leaguer is higher than Gorman. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with either in the Dodgers' system.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All I know is, the Dodgers seem to have some magic bringing up rookies every year. This year several of them have been contributing. Verdugo is just scratching the surface and he already has the approach of a veteran at the plate.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
We’re close to Rancho, so we saw Lux raking it just about every night when he was down there. We were already praying to the big Dodger in the sky that they don’t deal him. Guess which one player all the teams wanted at the trade deadline.

Glad Friedman didn’t. Vazquez would have been nice, but not with Lux in the package.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After 216 plate appearances in AAA, Lux is down to a slash line of .400/.486/.735. Not quite as unworldly, but still awesome. There's talk of him being promoted to be the Dodgers' 2b for the final part of the playoff run and the playoffs, though that's a crowded spot, and I'm sure the Dodgers would love to wait until late April to promote him as is the norm for top prospects to add a season of team control.

Memento

Name
Jemma
That would be biting the turd.

Uh, no?

Honestly, every professional league except for the National League uses a designated hitter, and I'm sick of pitchers getting hurt while batting (Wainwright tearing his Achilles when running out of the batter's box) or simply embarrassing themselves as hitters. As for taking strategy out of the game? That's the lamest excuse. There's plenty of strategy in the American League. It shows in roster construction more than anything.

After 216 plate appearances in AAA, Lux is down to a slash line of .400/.486/.735. Not quite as unworldly, but still awesome. There's talk of him being promoted to be the Dodgers' 2b for the final part of the playoff run and the playoffs, though that's a crowded spot, and I'm sure the Dodgers would love to wait until late April to promote him as is the norm for top prospects to add a season of team control.

If I were Dodgers management, I'd wait until late April as well. You guys have a good one in Lux.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Uh, no?

Honestly, every professional league except for the National League uses a designated hitter, and I'm sick of pitchers getting hurt while batting (Wainwright tearing his Achilles when running out of the batter's box) or simply embarrassing themselves as hitters. As for taking strategy out of the game? That's the lamest excuse. There's plenty of strategy in the American League. It shows in roster construction more than anything.

Nothing lame about the truth. No strategy in the AL compared to the NL. A monkey could manage an AL game. BTW injuries don't happen in the AL? AL is where the over the hill NL star goes to collect a check sitting on the bench.

Whats fun is watching someone used to the AL game get introduced to the intricacies of the NL game. Then they realize what they've been missing.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Nothing lame about the truth. No strategy in the AL compared to the NL. A monkey could manage an AL game. BTW injuries don't happen in the AL? AL is where the over the hill NL star goes to collect a check sitting on the bench.

Whats fun is watching someone used to the AL game get introduced to the intricacies of the NL game. Then they realize what they've been missing.

I never ever said that injuries don't happen in the AL. I said that I'm sick of pitchers getting injured during at-bats or otherwise being an offensive black hole.

Be honest with me: would you rather see a pitcher at bat or someone who can actually hit a baseball?

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I never ever said that injuries don't happen in the AL. I said that I'm sick of pitchers getting injured during at-bats or otherwise being an offensive black hole.

Be honest with me: would you rather see a pitcher at bat or someone who can actually hit a baseball?
That depends upon the situation. If a sacrifice play is in order I'd rather see a batter up to the task which in the NL is more often a pitcher. Nothing prevents a pitcher from hitting a baseball other than lack of pride or laziness. Pitchers that can hit are the accomplished ballplayer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sorry I get people don’t like watching pitchers hitbut do you know how much better this superior Americans League baseball is with the DH? It’s one runevery ten games. That’s right! Year to date AL teams are averaging 647 runs through 133 games and the NL 634 through 132 games. There’s nothing wrong with the NL thank you very much. Batting averages are .001 higher in the ALand the NL actually has a higher OBP.

Memento

Name
Jemma
That depends upon the situation. If a sacrifice play is in order I'd rather see a batter up to the task which in the NL is more often a pitcher. Nothing prevents a pitcher from hitting a baseball other than lack of pride or laziness. Pitchers that can hit are the accomplished ballplayer.

Pitchers that can consistently hit at the MLB level can be counted on a hand. And nothing stops sacrifice plays from being done by a regular hitter.

Sorry I get people don’t like watching pitchers hitbut do you know how much better this superior Americans League baseball is with the DH? It’s one runevery ten games. That’s right! Year to date AL teams are averaging 647 runs through 133 games and the NL 634 through 132 games. There’s nothing wrong with the NL thank you very much. Batting averages are .001 higher in the ALand the NL actually has a higher OBP.

Again, I'd rather see hitters hit and pitchers pitch. I didn't say that the AL is superior; I said that the DH is implemented in every league - from high school and college to the American League - except for the National League, and that I believe that the NL should join.

Just my honest opinion.