Do we undervalue player development?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't know, my man. Sometimes I wonder if the word "development" is overused and not very descriptive.

Fowler and Floyd can thank Aaron Donald for giving them opportunities that they wouldn't have had elsewhere

Robert Woods? really? We knew he would be good when we got him from Buffalo. It wasn't his fault that the Bills wanted to run the ball and had a sucky QB(s).

Brown, Littleton and Fletcher might be good examples, but they are an extreme minority of all the drafted and UDFA's we have acquired in the last couple of decades.

Just, no about us developing Kurt Warner. The Arena League and NFL Europe developed Kurt more than anything. His inner drive wouldn't let him quit. If I remember right, he was the star player on the practice squad in 1998. We gave Kurt an opportunity and made the most of it.

Development is just a BS word to me.
So what would you call it when a player picks up additional snaps or steps into a starting role over time? Is he not being "developed"? I think the term is very appropriate. Generally speaking, they don't just get better or learn schemes, etc all by their onesies. You can't keep everyone so you better be developing players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So what would you call it when a player picks up additional snaps or steps into a starting role over time? Is he not being "developed"? I think the term is very appropriate. Generally speaking, they don't just get better or learn schemes, etc all by their onesies. You can't keep everyone so you better be developing players.

Well no one wants to listen to me because I always right ;-)

What do you call J.Joyner? Fisher son had him walk of the field.He was a Williams guy,but to small of a player
to play the Nickle & cover a TE.

Along comes Wade & Mcvay he gets franchised & a Comp pick.

The year before that The Rams got a Comp Pick for udrfa who was developed Rodney McCliud.Just a couple examples of development.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams drafted 2 22 year old Rookies.Edwards & Evans are both developing players.Edwards never played a down at GUARD in his LIFE.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't know, my man. Sometimes I wonder if the word "development" is overused and not very descriptive.

Fowler and Floyd can thank Aaron Donald for giving them opportunities that they wouldn't have had elsewhere

Robert Woods? really? We knew he would be good when we got him from Buffalo. It wasn't his fault that the Bills wanted to run the ball and had a sucky QB(s).

Brown, Littleton and Fletcher might be good examples, but they are an extreme minority of all the drafted and UDFA's we have acquired in the last couple of decades.

Just, no about us developing Kurt Warner. The Arena League and NFL Europe developed Kurt more than anything. His inner drive wouldn't let him quit. If I remember right, he was the star player on the practice squad in 1998. We gave Kurt an opportunity and made the most of it.

Development is just a BS word to me.

Well I think Rodney Coleman was a nice pick up compared to Woods.He sure held down that Nickle spot.I don’t know what you call him ?

Anybody remember Morgan Fox. He was a udrfa & developed.Maybe The Rams get a comp pick for him. OBO a 4th rd pick ? Has done nothing as a Ram,excereat up a few defensive snaps.

—Hollins ? I think he Stinks(S””ks),but he is a developing player(ugh).

Troy Hill ? He still had a big contract when he resigned with The Rams.Still The Rams developed him.

The Rams Kicker Gay ? Not sure how the categories him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Using God given ability, maybe? Learning a scheme is education by using self dedication and persistence, but one has to have the talent and capacity to learn.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Using God given ability, maybe? Learning a scheme is education by using self dedication and persistence, but one has to have the talent and capacity to learn.

Then what is it when a player doesn't "develop"?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then what is it when a player doesn't "develop"?
He gets dumped like Alex Barron did. Dude was extremely talented but he didn't really want to play football, but sure liked the money of being a first rounder under the old system..

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He gets dumped like Alex Barron did. Dude was extremely talented but he didn't really want to play football, but sure liked the money of being a first rounder under the old system..

There are some instances like that.

But some where the coaches don't do a good job of developing the player.

Development isn't exclusive to sports - if you're a leader in whatever field you're in, you help develop your employees by pushing them, holding them accountable and getting to know them individually so that you can establish a relationship with them.

Same thing applies for the NFL. Sure, god given talent is always going to be a big part of if - but 99% of players who make an NFL team have that.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Exactly, yrs ago players didn't start right away. With no FA teams took their time. The Rams, back in the 70's, had such a stacked OL that Jackie Slater didnt even play until yr 3 if my memory serves me correctly.

Now with FA, you don't have time to wait until the 3rd yr to get a return on a draft pick because he will be gone after another season.

Yep. Terry Bradshaw was a bumbling idiot for his first couple of years, didn't really start getting it at all until his 4th year in the league, and it took two more after that before he really cemented himself as the long term starter (that time included being benched once for Joe Gilliam). Now he's a HOFer.

Had he been around in this day and age, he would have never had that chance.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And desire, drive, coaching, a scheme to learn, the will to take criticism AND coaching.... They all play in to developing as a good player.

Look. I've got no God given ability and look how I... Oh wait.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To me, not believing in player development suggests that every player is as good as he will ever be by the time he is 23-24. I just don't buy that.

I also think that units - i.e. an OL or DB can be developed as a cohesive group that can be worth more than the sum of its parts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For some reason I think Troy Reeder did a very good job as The Rams MLBer & held that spot over M. Kiser who started the season guy.In some case I think he did a better job making key tackles to get the defense off the field.I really don’t know if there is a stat for that.
—An example is Fuller being a late round pick. He made big plays as well.

Bringing up Troy Reeder only makes me think about this WOLFORD guy? Who is he? Did Mcvay go with him as a starter? I do know some of the play calling favored his skill set. Is that play calling or developing a player?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He reverted to one in his post football life, but there was a six year period where he won four Super Bowls and was arguably the best QB in the game.
Just having fun but it's funny how if you look at his stats only, he would be pretty lacking in today's NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wait. Isn't he still?

I loved when he said The Rams would lose on the road to the Hags.Proven WRONG!!

He was with Roger’ Strabauks sister Jojo. Lol. Just thought it was funny at the time when they were both Top QB’s. I know there was relations.Just ironic in my little mind.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me, not believing in player development suggests that every player is as good as he will ever be by the time he is 23-24. I just don't buy that.

I also think that units - i.e. an OL or DB can be developed as a cohesive group that can be worth more than the sum of its parts.
What did they tell Aaron Donald when he came into the league? Something like "don't listen to a word we say. You just do what you do...'

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He reverted to one in his post football life, but there was a six year period where he won four Super Bowls and was arguably the best QB in the game.

Well he was better than Jim Macmann.Defense does matter though. The Steel Curtain & the best coach in NFL history at one time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Just having fun but it's funny how if you look at his stats only, he would be pretty lacking in today's NFL.

Oh, I know ... and he is a bit of a moron these day ;)

On stats, he did play mostly in the "dead ball" era as they called it, when DBs were allowed to mug receivers anywhere on the field and offensive linemen couldn't open their hands.