Do we undervalue player development?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Fans and other outside observers, when perceiving a hole in a team's roster, are always keen on talking about player acquisition. Sign that free agent... draft that guy... trade for that other team's disgruntled star.

In doing so, I wonder whether we may be undervaluing player development. Certainly, there are examples of teams elevating players from the sidelines to key roles on the field. Darious Williams is a good recent example of such a player. Undrafted, claimed off waivers in 2018... in 2020, he's a key part of a defense that finished first in yards allowed.

I think that certain positions are more likely to produce "late bloomers" of this type. RBs, for example, tend to succeed early, or not at all. At other positions, though, it may take time in the weight room, learning a system, or finding the right role.

Turning back to the Rams, I wonder... who could be this year's Darious Williams? Could it be a guy like Austin Corbett moving to center? Or maybe Brycen Hopkins making us quickly forget Gerald Everett? Or is Van Jefferson going to become a star in his second year (much like a recent HOF Rams WR, who was also a 2nd round pick who blossomed in year 2). Or maybe a guy like Obo is ready to become a force?

Could our next rising star be right under our noses?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many guys like Williams are there though? How many UDFA or late round picks took four years or so to develop and become quality starters? Only other one I can think of even in the same ballpark was Ogletree and I don’t know that he was as good as William, certainly wasn’t good since joining the Raiders.

Yes correction Littleton.

Last edited:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
How many guys like Williams are there though? How many UDFA or late round picks took four years or so to develop and become quality starters? Only other one I can think of even in the same ballpark was Ogletree and I don’t know that he was as good as William, certainly wasn’t good since joining the Raiders.
I think you mean Corey Littleton

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think there have been many throughout the years. Troy Hill, Cory Littleton, Austin Blythe and Malcolm Brown are all guys we developed from humble beginnings in the last few seasons. In another category of "developed players," there are guys who were considered disappointments on other teams after being drafted fairly early (if not close to "bust" status) who came to the Rams and blossomed, such as Robert Woods, Dante Fowler and Leonard Floyd (and, to an extent, Austin Corbett).

And, of course, there are always historic examples like Kurt Warner and London Fletcher.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
NFL rosters are like a natural selection petri dish. They do educated guesses bringing guys in, then try to set the best environment for them to grow. But from there it comes down to the players wanting it and working hard enough to get it.

The guys who do that tend to show things even early, especially if they have talent and are drafted. The UDFA types get the short stick because they need to show on teams or really stand out in camp or they're cut. Truth is the higher drafted types get chances the UDFAs don't get, and it's probably similar for the late round guys too.

Look at Scott vs Hopkins. There is every reason to think Scott is a player. And in comparison every reason to think Hopkins is in trouble. Now as the OP pointed out maybe position factors in too, with TE being one of the tougher positions. But still I think the guys who make it tend to show something even if it's just on teams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there have been many throughout the years. Troy Hill, Cory Littleton, Austin Blythe and Malcolm Brown are all guys we developed from humble beginnings in the last few seasons. In another category of "developed players," there are guys who were considered disappointments on other teams after being drafted fairly early (if not close to "bust" status) who came to the Rams and blossomed, such as Robert Woods, Dante Fowler and Leonard Floyd (and, to an extent, Austin Corbett).

And, of course, there are always historic examples like Kurt Warner and London Fletcher.
So four guys out of all the late round and UDFA? Not a lot of examples of it but yes we do get some production from those guys. I don’t think any are great. I e read around here that Hill and Brown are way to replace.

Another one that’s come on last year was SJD. He’s starter quality but in a year or two will likely be replaced with recent draft pick Bobby Brown.

I think more of our good player development has been 2nd-4th round picks turning into good players. Rapp, Kupp, Burgess even Fuller. But you can point to guys that haven’t like Long and Noteboom.

I think we appreciate the developement when it happens and celebrate it. But like all fans some guys we over value and some are u deer valued. We also tend to sweep the guys that don’t under the rug.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't know how many DWills are on the roster but it seems we develop players every year under this regime. It seems they are big believers in it and maybe why they also seem to downgrade high draft picks and instead, try to pick for the future. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't but I like what I've seen.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think teams in general undervalue player development. More than ever we are in an age of instant gratification, and too often when a player struggles as a rookie, people are ready to throw them under the bus.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He may be gone now, but Troy Hill ?

Higbee was a 4'th rounder who has been developing nicely at a position which doesn't always make for immediate success.
Dave Edwards has been starting since his rookie season.

Anchrum & Brewer get spoken about enough by McVay to think they may be in the wings for an important role fairly soon.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think teams in general undervalue player development. More than ever we are in an age of instant gratification, and too often when a player struggles as a rookie, people are ready to throw them under the bus.
Exactly, yrs ago players didn't start right away. With no FA teams took their time. The Rams, back in the 70's, had such a stacked OL that Jackie Slater didnt even play until yr 3 if my memory serves me correctly.

Now with FA, you don't have time to wait until the 3rd yr to get a return on a draft pick because he will be gone after another season.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Great thread, Avenger, but let us not forget about Rodney McLeod. He was maybe the one player Jeff Fisher Football ever developed.
~ArkyRamsFan~

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If you think about it, three players who are arguably in the running for the title of greatest offensive, defensive, and special teams players in Rams history were acquired via a futures contract, a 14th round draft pick, and an undrafted free agency signing, respectively.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know, my man. Sometimes I wonder if the word "development" is overused and not very descriptive.

Fowler and Floyd can thank Aaron Donald for giving them opportunities that they wouldn't have had elsewhere

Robert Woods? really? We knew he would be good when we got him from Buffalo. It wasn't his fault that the Bills wanted to run the ball and had a sucky QB(s).

Brown, Littleton and Fletcher might be good examples, but they are an extreme minority of all the drafted and UDFA's we have acquired in the last couple of decades.

Just, no about us developing Kurt Warner. The Arena League and NFL Europe developed Kurt more than anything. His inner drive wouldn't let him quit. If I remember right, he was the star player on the practice squad in 1998. We gave Kurt an opportunity and made the most of it.

Development is just a BS word to me.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don't know, my man. Sometimes I wonder if the word "development" is overused and not very descriptive.

Fowler and Floyd can thank Aaron Donald for giving them opportunities that they wouldn't have had elsewhere

Robert Woods? really? We knew he would be good when we got him from Buffalo. It wasn't his fault that the Bills wanted to run the ball and had a sucky QB(s).

Brown, Littleton and Fletcher might be good examples, but they are an extreme minority of all the drafted and UDFA's we have acquired in the last couple of decades.

Just, no about us developing Kurt Warner. The Arena League and NFL Europe developed Kurt more than anything. His inner drive wouldn't let him quit. If I remember right, he was the star player on the practice squad in 1998. We gave Kurt an opportunity and made the most of it.

Development is just a BS word to me.
We can quibble over terminology or the scope of the term, but I'd rather just focus on the basic concept. Fans and commentators, in my opinion, sometimes assume that needs must be filled by acquisition when, sometimes, the guy you need is already on the roster. Kurt Warner is the greatest example (there was talk, when Trent Green went down, of trying to acquire a replacement, such as Jeff Hostetler). Others are less dramatic, but still significant.

Whether you like the term development or not, I think that a team's ability to recognize talent in the less than obvious places (talent in Blue Chip FA, Days 1 and 2 of the draft is much easier to spot), and to put such players in a position to thrive, is something that is often discounted.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think player development begins with player scouting, bringing in the guys who will fit the system. Coachability and adaptability seem to be 2 traits of the guys they have brought in who have ultimately blossomed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think player development begins with player scouting, bringing in the guys who will fit the system. Coachability and adaptability seem to be 2 traits of the guys they have brought in who have ultimately blossomed.
You tell 'em! ~ Alex Barron

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep fans typically ignore it because we don't see it happening in practice.

People have pointed out Littleton, SJD, Hill, Williams, Blythe - but you also have Higbee, Kiser, Howard, Obo, Scott as guys who have played their role and developed - maybe not into starters, but into role players.

It's why I'm fine letting Burgess/Scott/Deayon fight for the nickel CB spot.