Do we draft a RB and a PK in the 5th round or sooner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I mean… usually the top kickers are starting to go off the board in the 5th round…

And… Most here agree we need some depth and insurance with Williams. Can we find that if we wait later than the 5th, with reasonable certainty?

Looking at the top/favorite players… and our need to nail these two areas of the team… does that mean 2 of our top 6 picks go to depth RB and PK?

Lee Pace No GIF

That feels like a lot of our draft capital, doesn’t it?

With our first 6th round pick all the way down to 195, I think the Rams plan to trade for more picks inside the 5th.

#19 seems prime to get trade offers if there is an insane run on QB’s. Maybe thats how we do it, but looking at the need for RB and PK a trade down feels likely to me to give us more swings elsewhere.

Then again, the Rams seem to hit on 6th rounders and we have 4 of those. Just not sure I want to wait for a RB and PK there.

There is always FA too. But, just thinking about the draft.

dang

Legend
I think the sweet spot for RB is late R3 to mid R4. Players like Estime/ND or Davis/KY come to mind. No way the Rams reach for a RB so I’d like to see some trading that brings in an early to mid R4 pick and use that to get their RB2.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Later for kicker

RB can be whenever, it all depends on who McVay likes but I wouldn't be surprised if it's before the 5th for an RB.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Pick 154 or 155 would have to be the target if you want to grab a back for insurance for KW. But if you are looking for a big short yardage back, you could probably wait much later. Hard to predict where Kickers could come off the board but I’d imagine it’ll be a pick in the 200s.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
6th round pick for kicker, in fact use the compensatory pick Rams received for Matt Gay selecting Cam Little or Joshua Karty.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't care where they take one but I'd love to have Trey Benson on this team.....one can dream

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the sweet spot for RB is late R3 to mid R4. Players like Estime/ND or Davis/KY come to mind. No way the Rams reach for a RB so I’d like to see some trading that brings in an early to mid R4 pick and use that to get their RB2.
Tice and those guys think 3rd into 4th is where about the 10 RBs they think are decent in the draft will go.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's not a good RB class so would not be shocked if we miss out on the okay ones for other better players and then pick some no name guy in the 6th. And grab 1-2 undrafted FAs and they'll have to compete for 3rd RB behind Rivers.

I don't think they're gonna draft one before the late rounds if at all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I mean… usually the top kickers are starting to go off the board in the 5th round…

And… Most here agree we need some depth and insurance with Williams. Can we find that if we wait later than the 5th, with reasonable certainty?

Looking at the top/favorite players… and our need to nail these two areas of the team… does that mean 2 of our top 6 picks go to depth RB and PK?

Lee Pace No GIF

That feels like a lot of our draft capital, doesn’t it?

With our first 6th round pick all the way down to 195, I think the Rams plan to trade for more picks inside the 5th.

#19 seems prime to get trade offers if there is an insane run on QB’s. Maybe thats how we do it, but looking at the need for RB and PK a trade down feels likely to me to give us more swings elsewhere.

Then again, the Rams seem to hit on 6th rounders and we have 4 of those. Just not sure I want to wait for a RB and PK there.

There is always FA too. But, just thinking about the draft.

The kicking situation is one thing in itself.Les Snead & The Rams have learned a lot from last season. Snead himself thought he was the Smartest GM when it came to Kickers.He basically has thrown his hands up & going to let Sean Mcvay & Chase Blackburn figure it all out.

The Rams were blessed with excellent special teams before Les Snead & Fisher were together.Brown(LMAO) & Donny Jones.The Long Snapper was in place & then The rest is History.
—Les Snead thinks hold & a long snapper play such a big role in it all & when The Rams LS got hurt it effected the Kicking Game.Plus Ethan Evan’s is no Johnny Hekar when it comes to holding.

—Zach Evan’s part of the Evan’s Brothers Les Snead drafted.Sort of like The Brown Brothers. Bobby Brown is going to get PAID next year. Earnest Brown has worked hard,but not sure what that looks like in 2024.If he is on The Rams he should take a LEADERSHIP role just from carrying on a tradition from YEARS past !! I’ll give Fisher that & what Sean Mcvay has done from DAY 1 is Super Special !!

Les Snead has an Excellent Track Record finding RB’s late in the Draft.Actually he has to do a better JOB !! This Year 2024 is The most Intersting RB DRAFTS I’ve seen in awhile.

The RB market is flooded & there ‘s not any CLEAR CUT RB’s in 2024.There is a couple Bigger Rb’s as well.RON GOULD was such an EXCELLENT HIRE & RB’s coach.He has a GREAT KNOWLEDGE of COLLEGE (young) Players.

I Trust the Process,but don’t count out Zach Evan’s come 2024.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's not a good RB class so would not be shocked if we miss out on the okay ones for other better players and then pick some no name guy in the 6th. And grab 1-2 undrafted FAs and they'll have to compete for 3rd RB behind Rivers.

I don't think they're gonna draft one before the late rounds if at all.
Really with all The Draft Picks The Rams have ?? I agree in some ways if what your saying though.
Ronnie Rivers was a nice find & Zach Evan’s (Kyren Williams) were 5th Rd draft picks .

—Still The Rams will have there Draft Board in tacked & find a RB that The Rams Scouts have circled.

Les Snead & his Texas Connections & there HC is a True LA guy at Heart.You got to in some ways Love It!! Sark - he had talent that he never drew into like he should have as well.

Very Curious. As I get Older & College Football has changed,scouting has become harder & built on relationships more Than EVER !!
—Just looking back at COVID & Les Snead in his Garage on Draft Day !! He wasn’t in The DRAFT HOUSE !!

What Les Snead & The Rams (scouts) did last year was GREAT!!
Can you even say there was a BETTER DRAFT in MODERN NFL HISTORY then THE RAMS in 2023 ??

I mean DRAFTING by NUMBERS & those DRAFT PICKS !! If Stenson Bennet makes The Rams Roster ?
Your Talking The MOST DRAFT PICKs & 100% NFL Players LES SNEAD hit on !!

—UNBELIEVEABLE - 1 player on Offense & 1 Player on Defense Fighting For ROOKIE of The YEAR 2023!!

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I could see us repeating a familiar pattern and trading to take a RB before a player they like comes off the board. It all depends on how the draft plays out but Brooks, for instance, will most likely outplay most of the players drafted ahead of him (depending on his medical).

OK it would be madness to pick a RB with our first pick(s) but as the draft progresses RBs often provide unbelievable bang for the buck. What ever we do I don’t want a back up I want a player who will push for starting time just like Williams did - even if I expect him to make that extremely difficult

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The top K get drafted as high as 3rd round. Karty and Reichard are 2 of the best kicking prospects to come out recently and likely wont even make it to round 5 much less get past it.
The Rams can draft a guy in 6 or 7 which is Sam Sloman territory

WestCoastRam

Legend
The top K get drafted as high as 3rd round. Karty and Reichard are 2 of the best kicking prospects to come out recently and likely wont even make it to round 5 much less get past it.
The Rams can draft a guy in 6 or 7 which is Sam Sloman territory
We draft a kicker in the 3rd round this year and McVay finally decides to go for it on 4th down at a league high rate.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
While its not a fantastic upper end RB class, its a deep class if you ask me. If a guys like Braelon Allen, Davis, Shipley, Guerendo can be had in the 4th and a bunch of quality players in the 5th and later, I can't see using a top 3 round pick on a back up RB. As much as I'd LOVE to have my dude Marshawn Lloyd on this team, I can't see using a 3rd on a backup with our glaring holes.

WestCoastRam

Legend
While its not a fantastic upper end RB class, its a deep class if you ask me. If a guys like Braelon Allen, Davis, Shipley, Guerendo can be had in the 4th and a bunch of quality players in the 5th and later, I can't see using a top 3 round pick on a back up RB. As much as I'd LOVE to have my dude Marshawn Lloyd on this team, I can't see using a 3rd on a backup with our glaring holes.
Yeah, I think it's got some strength right in the middle of the draft but crap at the top and crap late.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I think we take a skill player early on Offense, but it will be a defensive heavy draft overall. Don't focus on position too much, Rams are looking to upgrade their D talent thru the draft.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Most kickers are undrafted. If there is a good college kicker in the 6th I'd be fine picking one. As far as running back late in the draft, its gonna be hard to find one who can compete for a spot year one. Zach Evans was underwhelming. But it was his rookie year. Might be best to keep developing him and see if he can do better. I think Ronnie Rivers will be the RB2.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Most kickers are undrafted. If there is a good college kicker in the 6th I'd be fine picking one. As far as running back late in the draft, its gonna be hard to find one who can compete for a spot year one. Zach Evans was underwhelming. But it was his rookie year. Might be best to keep developing him and see if he can do better. I think Ronnie Rivers will be the RB2.
Yeah, I don't think in a down year for RB, with Williams and Rivers in the stable, that they're gonna do anything more than take a swing late on a developmental guy.