Do Rams have the best offensive line in the NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Coach Sean McVay Reveals Role for OT Alaric Jackson; Starter?​

BY DANIEL FLICK SPORTS ILLUSTRATED LA RAMS NEWS, ANALYSIS AND MORE UPDATED AUGUST 10, 2022

1660171386508.png

Jackson played in four games during his rookie season but looks to have a bigger role in year two. Los Angeles Rams offensive linemen Alaric Jackson is about as far from Hollywood as can be. A native-born Canadian, Jackson went to high school in Detroit. Rated as a three-star recruit, the 24-year-old signed with the Iowa Hawkeyes, where he started 42 games at left tackle.

Jackson's background is nothing but toughness and physicality, a stark contrast to the flash and glam usually associated with Los Angeles. Undrafted out of Iowa in 2021, Jackson made the Rams' roster and saw action in four games as a rookie. He played 61 snaps on offense and allowed just one sack, with his most extensive action coming in a Week 16 win against the Minnesota Vikings, racking up 52 snaps.

Now entering year two with his roster positioning in much better shape and a season of experience under his belt, Jackson is riding a strong wave of momentum into a valuable role in Los Angeles' offense, according to head coach Sean McVay. “He's done a great job," McVay said. "He's been able to play outside. We're anticipating he's got a good chance to be our swing tackle and then seeing some positive steps in the right direction as a guard as well.”

The role of a swing tackle consists of being the primary backup at both left and right tackle. The Rams gave Joe Noteboom a contract extension earlier this offseason to protect quarterback Matthew Stafford's blindside, while steady veteran Rob Havenstein has the right side locked up.

Still, with McVay mentioning that Jackson is also working inside at guard, the Windsor, Ontario native seems poised to become a versatile backup for the Rams, a role that should allow him to stick on the roster for several years. Jackson has Stafford's confidence after his strong showing against Minnesota last season regardless of where he's playing. "I thought he played really well," said Stafford. "I thought he did a great job both in the run game and pass game, just fighting.

He's assignment sound. I thought he did a great job demeanor-wise, just coming in and playing the next snap no matter what happened the one before." Jackson will almost certainly be looking to push for a bigger role as his career progresses, but in the meantime, the big, physical, hard-nosed offensive linemen has found a home in the City of Angels.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: Hav I agree he's likely to leave in FA for a big payday. This is probably his best chance to fill that retirement account.

But I also think they're looking at Hav as the line leader, so if he kills it in that role they might make room for him. Probably comes down to this season and how all that plays out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Alaric Jackson would appear to be making a move here to take over as the top swing OT on this roster as preseason is about to start. McVay also mentions the inside OG positions too. I always thought that Alaric Jackson would be more of a LT/LG reserve this upcoming season not move in & take over the Swing Reserve OT post.

Reviewing today's depth chart released Alaric Jackson has moved all other OT's further back. Have we seen a lot of Arcuri playing LT? likewise, have we seen a lot of Max Pricher lining up @ LT?

I've seen many photos of Arcuri lines up @ LG not LT.

Rookie AJ Arcuri is listed at this time as the back up to Noteboom with Max Pircher behind Arcuri. all on that left side with Jackson now flipped over behind Havenstein with BoBby Evans who has been getting a good amount of snaps @ RT ....nowhere to be seen.

Chandler Brewer who has been working mainly inside @ OG & even OC is placed back in the OT position behind Jackson @ RT. Adrian Ealy behind Brewer.

The Depth chart has no center's listed behind Allen. The OG's with Edwards @ LG with Tremayne Anchrum behind him. Coleman @ starting RG with Logan Bruss behind Shelton.

Find it odd that Swing Reserve Bobby Evans is not listed on the depth chart. My opinion is this depth chart is not really right & nothing but mush.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Appears that you & I have the same mindset on why this Ram Ol this season would be better off having Shelton remaining as the 6th OL'er. You did a very good job of making that clear. Far better for this team OL reserve protection net if Anchrum, Bruss, Brewer, or even Edwards fills that RG post. That's based on starting OC Brian Allen's proneness to easily be injured.

Another very big positive for Shelton to remain the #6 reserve OL'er is it will allow McVay to carry only 2 OL'ers active on game day. Shelton can & has some serious versatility & has experience @ OT.

Jack Snyder who has been primarily starting @ LT in college but has all the physical characteristics of an NFL center, sure looks like a great cheap grooming project @ OC. It would be best for this 2022 OL to have Snyder rides PS all season with Arcuri winning out a position in MR53 due to Havenstien's UFA'cy @ the end of this season.

Another far darkhorse @ RG is Chandler Brewer (lurking as a Ram OL'er since 2019) is there ever a better chance for him to make it in the NFL it's now. You never know, he might have put in the hard work this off-season. RG was his forte in College.

If Carberry surprises us & ends up discerning that Edwards working with Hav is a much better working duo on that right side this season & goes with rookie Bruss being the game-day backup, then I would not write off 2nd season left-side OL'er Alaric Jackson making a strong showing to move into that LG post. It's obvious by now the starting Noteboom / Jackson duo on that left side appeals to me. If that were to occur Rookie Swing OT Arcuri's value goes up dramatically.

Having Edwards next to Havs does sound intriguing, but my problem with that POV is that I just don’t see it coming out of camp. That would mean the Rams were having enough issues during the season that the move became necessary.

Otherwise , I would think you would want to pair the most inexperienced guard with the new anchor—Havs, especially if you want to run the ball more. Havs has bin historically top notch in run blocking.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It's my belief that Rob Havenstein is the best RT since Jackie Slater. Can you think of a better RT that played for the Rams as long & as good over the last 3 decades?

I know Hav has never been in conversation with another all-pro right OT's but this just might be the season Hav starts to get the recognition he deserves.

I’ve been a huge Havs fan since day 1. He has been vastly underrated, IMO. Not only has he been one of the best run blocking tackles in the league, I believe one year he WAS. His first season he gave up NO SACKS and committed NO PENALTIES!

I might be in the minority here, but if he were to turn in another solid year and finish relatively healthy, I would be on board to get him a 3rd contract.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Do any of the TC Reporters ( @VeteranRamFan, @bubbaramfan, or any other TC attendee) witness or recall observing #77 Alaric Jackson taking snaps @ LG or RG?

Might be Alaric Jackson was working the LG post & due to "line of sight issues" it would be hard to see if AJ was @ LT or LG...but no matter.....really because McVay states that Alaric Jackson is enlarging his work area from primarily LT post to Swing OT competition, in addition, moving futher taking snaps away from the interior reserve OL'ers.

Does sound like AJ is bursting from the seams in his small area assigned in Training Camp & looking for other OL posts to embark on & conquer. From my point of view, this information could change our view perspectives of this 2022 preseason OL.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is this Saturday Night's Rams OL set up against the Chargers?

LT-Jackson/ Pircher
LG-Anchrum/ Arcuri/ Snyder
OC-Kolone/ VACANT?
RG-Bruss/ Brewer
RT- Evans/ Ealy

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Is this Saturday Night's Rams OL set up against the Chargers?

LT-Jackson/ Pircher
LG-Anchrum/ Arcuri/ Snyder
OC-Kolone/ VACANT?
RG-Bruss/ Brewer
RT- Evans/ Ealy

Really Bonifay’d? There is no 3rd string Center ?

I guess Jack Snyder & Arcuri are the 2 players I’m most excited to see in the preseason.

Brewer at Center as well ? AJ Jackson at LT looks in real good physical shape,so I think some Fans might be surprised.

Bobby Evans? I only saw him on walk throughs from the opposite side of the field. I call them The (2nd string) JV Team.

Watch out for Whitley #51 on defense. He was up on the Varsity team in walk throughs. What happens to T. Howard? Reporter Rodriquez was high & sad when Howard got hurt once again. Everyone wants to talk about Tutu,Lewis,Henderson who are all healthy. Jacob Harris has been hurt in both Training Camps.

#88 Was getting Varsity Reps. I wonder how much playing time he gets? The last time Ram Fans saw him he was making 4 big catches to help win a SuperBowl.

JJ Koski & Tutu Atwell will have 10 receptions against the Chargers combined.

Jake Funk should show a little of what he can bring to The Rams if anything.He still is a core special teams guy though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams offensive line will be fun to watch & also be a little confusing imo. In training camp it was hard to keep track of them all.
There will be a lot of position & cross training going on each game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Re: Hav I agree he's likely to leave in FA for a big payday. This is probably his best chance to fill that retirement account.

But I also think they're looking at Hav as the line leader, so if he kills it in that role they might make room for him. Probably comes down to this season and how all that plays out.
He'll be 31 next offseason at a position where that's really still the prime for the top-level guys. Looking at other contracts.. it would be easy to see him get offered $18 million plus... I just have a hard time believing they can get there.

As you said, how it all plays out will be a big deal. If Noteboom has a fantastic season and stays healthy? And Bruss steps into that role at some point and shows he can be a rock at RG? That would set the stage for the Rams to move to another direction at RT, imo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Really Bonifay’d? There is no 3rd string Center ?

I guess Jack Snyder & Arcuri are the 2 players I’m most excited to see in the preseason.

Brewer at Center as well ? AJ Jackson at LT looks in real good physical shape,so I think some Fans might be surprised.

Bobby Evans? I only saw him on walk throughs from the opposite side of the field. I call them The (2nd string) JV Team.
All I know about the reserve OC's in camp came from our ROD reporters. I spent a good amount of time going through all the photos of the OL in camp.

I saw very few of Brian Allen, most photos of Coleman Shelton @ center & Jeremiah @ center. It was mentioned briefly about Chandler Brewer & Jack Snyder getting a few snaps. No photos.

From all I gathered & surmised from the reports that Jeremiah Kolone is the backup center to Brian Allen at this point in time.It's not like he has not been around here. Kolone has been a Rams since 5/2/2018. He has been considered a multi-versatile interior OL'er. Played & started @ LG most of his college career.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Wont really know about the O line till they are in some tough game in a loud rival stadium. We will learn a lot that day.