Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
"can Goff return to 2018 form"
can this happen? yes is my answer, but it will take some fixing of the offensive line

train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree

That's your prerogative. Watching Wolford struggle to move the ball and score points against an Arizona defense that Goff has lit up in each of the past five games against them (including a few weeks ago) clearly demonstrated to me who the better QB is. I respect Wolford stepping up to help us make the playoffs with Jared out, but he's not the best QB on this team.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's your prerogative. Watching Wolford struggle to move the ball and score points against an Arizona defense that Goff has lit up in each of the past five games against them (including a few weeks ago) clearly demonstrated to me who the better QB is. I respect Wolford stepping up to help us make the playoffs with Jared out, but he's not the best QB on this team.

I think Goff is better than him, but did Wolford struggle to move the ball and score?

Or did Akers fumble at the one and Everett drop a perfectly thrown ball in the endzone?

We would all take the Goff that torched Arizona - but that's not the Goff we've had for the past two weeks. We have a more recent example of Goff playing worse than Wolford against the Jets, who have a worse defense than the Cardinals.

After Wolford settled down he was better than Goff had been in a few weeks - we know Goff is capable of playing better though.

Truth is, Wolford was outstanding after starting 1-6 with an INT.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Different games. Different teams. The 23 points the Rams scored vs. Seattle in the first game wasn't repeated in the 2nd game was it? They only scored 9 points. Same QB.

Cam Akers fumbles inside the 5 yard line. Everett drops a TD pass. Two false start penalties within the 5 yard line. And Wolford made a bad read on that sprint out (should have ran towards the pylon). Are you telling me that you'd feel differently if none of these things happened and the Rams would have gone on and had 3 TDs in those drives? Honestly? But, I have no doubt that these same things would be pointed out if Goff were at QB Sunday.

Opinions on who is the best QB on the team? Couldn't care less. I would hope that the more experience QB would be the better QB, but that's subjective based upon one views of the position, IMO. The key, IMO, is who is the best option for THIS TEAM TOMORROW.

Wolford faired well in his first NFL start, and offers something Goff doesn't AND is healthy. Goff can throw as much as he wants pre-game. But, it's has to be a concern for anyone who understands that it's a different animal altogether once the bullets start flying. Getting hit, taking multiple snaps, and being stressed in the pocket is different. Pride or his mind might tell him that there is no difference in his hand/thumb, but it is possible that his body tells him otherwise gameday.

I've been there before rushing back from an injury. My head told me I could do everything I was doing pre-injury. It didn't go well. Doesn't mean the same will happen with Goff. But, to dismiss the possibility seems rather strange to me.

Last edited:

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm in agreement with everybody else. I take him for a heartbeat even for a first rounder.

Memphis Ram

Legend
can this happen? yes is my answer, but it will take some fixing of the offensive line

train

I see this opinion a lot, but it'll take more than that, IMO. Why? Because teams have figured McVay out more today than they had in 2018. McVay is going to have to make changes, too.

And Goff is going to have to put in the work. Pocket passers should have their check down game mastered, which is something Goff still hasn't done all these years.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have 3 threads all having same convo. Anyone else see this?

I get that conversations drift, so, okay cool.

This one is a Watson trade thread. Thats the topic. TY

Wolford/Goff can be found other places, I think.

oldnotdead

Legend

train

Fixing the o-line is a 2 phase thing to be done in the offseason. Cut Blythe and Havenstein saving $10M (enough to sigh Floyd). Moving Boom to RT for a year, Edwards to swing OT for a year, Corbett back to LG and Edwards to RG, and either Shelton or Allen at C. Either one would be a clear blocking upgrade over Blythe.

Phase 2 would be to implement a true power gap/ inside zone run scheme with proper blocking and a true FB. This would probably mean replacing Kromer who has shown he isn't up to the job. In his first two years, he had a line of solid vets and was simply asked to implement a high school level outside zone scheme. Everyone assumed he was a great coach. Since he's been the run game coordinator the run attack has degenerated in large part to poor o-line execution which IMO is indicative of poor coaching. Remember this is the same guy that thinks a 6'2" 314lb center is really a LT.

So yes I agree train, as long as the o-line fix includes a scheme change as well. I for one have had enough of finesse football. This isn't flag it's the NFL and sometimes you need to be able to play smash-mouth, something the Ram offense hasn't shown it can do.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watson is talented no doubt about it ... but not talented enough to go beyond a 4-11 season .. yet goff despite his turnovers despite his bad games despite what everyone else wants thier narrative to be (finished the year 9-7) and hasn’t had a losing season in 4 years ... I’m sticking with goff

And before anyone bitches and moans about how bad the Texans are .. (blue font) good QBs elevate the talent around them .. good QBs shouldn’t need everything to be perfect ..ad nauseam

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Wilson would have won 8 games this year?
Come again?
He play defense too??
Houston D gave up over 30 points 8 times this season, under 20 points only twice. JJ Watt apologized to him while walking off the field for wasting his season.
Not to mention O'Brien methodically destroying the team with off season trades
Wilson is great, no doubt. But thinking he, or any QB for that matter, would have been the difference in THIS YEAR's team, is just laughable
And last time I checked seattle had the worst defense in the league the first half of the season. So ya your theory doesn't really work.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Goff is better than him, but did Wolford struggle to move the ball and score?

Or did Akers fumble at the one and Everett drop a perfectly thrown ball in the endzone?

We would all take the Goff that torched Arizona - but that's not the Goff we've had for the past two weeks. We have a more recent example of Goff playing worse than Wolford against the Jets, who have a worse defense than the Cardinals.

After Wolford settled down he was better than Goff had been in a few weeks - we know Goff is capable of playing better though.

Truth is, Wolford was outstanding after starting 1-6 with an INT.

Yes, he struggled to move the ball and score. I disagree on the Jets claim. And truth is, he wasn't outstanding after his bad start. He was serviceable.

Different games. Different teams. The 23 points the Rams scored vs. Seattle in the first game wasn't repeated in the 2nd game was it? They only scored 9 points. Same QB.

We had Andrew Whitworth against Seattle the first time. I get that Kupp didn't play in the second game, but Jefferson filled in well. You can explain it away, but Goff played the same Arizona defense and lit them up. There's a direct comparison.

Cam Akers fumbles inside the 5 yard line. Everett drops a TD pass. Two false start penalties within the 5 yard line. And Wolford made a bad read on that sprint out (should have ran towards the pylon). Are you telling me that you'd feel differently if none of these things happened and the Rams would have gone on and had 3 TDs in those drives? Honestly? But, I have no doubt that these same things would be pointed out if Goff were at QB Sunday.

Shit happens. Our running game got stuffed inside the 1 against Seattle. Everett dropping passes is nothing new. I don't see you bending over backwards to excuse Goff when other guys on the team aren't performing. And yes, I'd feel quite differently had Wolford led us to three TDs. I still wouldn't feel he's better than Goff, but I'd feel better about his chances against Seattle if the guy had put a lot more points on the board.

I'm not being dismissive of this stuff, but it happens to every QB. When we faced Arizona the last time, we moved the ball at will. That didn't happen with Wolford.

Opinions on who is the best QB on the team? Couldn't care less. I would hope that the more experience QB would be the better QB, but that's subjective based upon one views of the position, IMO. The key, IMO, is who is the best option for THIS TEAM TOMORROW.

The best QB is the best option if he's healthy enough to play. And his name is Jared Goff.

Wolford faired well in his first NFL start, and offers something Goff doesn't AND is healthy. Goff can throw as much as he wants pre-game. But, it's has to be a concern for anyone who understands that it's a different animal altogether once the bullets start flying. Getting hit, taking multiple snaps, and being stressed in the pocket is different. Pride or his mind might tell him that there is no difference in his hand/thumb, but it is possible that his body tells him otherwise gameday.

If it becomes an issue, McVay will correct it. I trust him to do the right thing.

I've been there before rushing back from an injury. My head told me I could do everything I was doing pre-injury. It didn't go well. Doesn't mean the same will happen with Goff. But, to dismiss the possibility seems rather strange to me.

We have a coaching staff and a training staff managing him. They're the ones making the call. Goff is the better QB. If he's healthy enough to play, he's the guy.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

train
I would insert the words comprehensive & extensive between the words some & fixing. ;)

Even with that........not much would improve.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I wouldn’t even have entertained this thought a year ago but it looks like Goff is in regression rather than progression right now.

Goff and Ramsey for Watson and JJ Watt. Even trade.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the Texans aren't going to gift us Watson. Now that Bob's gone that particular gravy train is over lol.

How about this novel idea... Since the Rams paid a pocket QB a shit ton of money why don't they build an offensive line that can protect him? That's what I'd be focused on right now. It's hard to evaluate a pocket QB when he can't set his fucking feet without Blythe or Boom or whoever else as well as the guy they're blocking ending up in his lap in 1.5 seconds.

Also I think we need to ensure there's enough competition at QB to keep Goff from being too comfortable next season. Though to what extent I do that comes down to how Goff plays here in the playoffs. This is his moment to show us he's the guy IMO. So we're gonna know a lot more about all that here soon.
Rams made the same mistake with Bradford. Used a top pick on pocket QB and never gave him the line to succeed. If I give up a shit ton of picks for a player. I'm going to do what it takes to protect him and make him thrive.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I wouldn’t even have entertained this thought a year ago but it looks like Goff is in regression rather than progression right now.

Goff and Ramsey for Watson and JJ Watt. Even trade.
Based off of what you said. I would remove Ramsey from that idea add in JJ43, Everett and Reynolds. Ramsey isn’t going anywhere as far as I am concerned.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@ jrry32

Still each game (situations) and team (personnel, healthwise) is different. You can find example after example of divisional games where the outcomes between the two games differ. Goff played well in the first game. But, no one fumbled inside the 5 yard line. No one dropped a TD pass. I don't recall two false start penalties when the team got the ball within the 5 yard line either. If those things happened and the team didn't score would Goff had lit up the Cardinals then?

You don't see me bending over backwards to defend Goff? I'd hope not, because I rarely post here anymore. And when I do, I don't post on all subjects.

You believe that Goff is the best option. I agree with Isaac Bruce that Wolford is the best option. Why does this appear to be so offensive? Can't we just leave it at that. Well, I can. I've got better things to do.