DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
it said 4.5 million plus incentives and he’s not a pro bowler anymore.

Yea that's my bad because I linked the original Garafolo tweet that said $4.5M. Jourdan gave the specifics shortly after which show only $2.75M base + incentives.

If he plays majority of the season I think many around here will be pleasantly surprised at his impact in this offense. Stafford has a cannon and loves to throw deep, and I still dont think any DBs can run with DeSean. He dusted Ramsey last year on a go route and Wentz didnt look his way.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think D'Wayne Eskridge could.
I think Rams pick up Dwayne Eskridge or that 4.26 burner from Auburn (Snead's alma), as a kind of "DJax Lite" for insurance in case DJax goes down. DJax will play a critical role in this O, something we lost with B.Cooks & Watkins, so I'm sure McSnead will draft one of the two or someone like them.
DJax has an explosiveness that has to be respected by DB's, and he has pretty good hands, something Cooks & Watkins didn't have. Cooks was also banged up a lot, and for cryin out loud we coughed up a 1st for him. If DJax makes $6.5m this year it means he helped us go deep in the playoffs. Worth it, say I.

sloramfan

Starter
having a hard time thinking this was a bad deal...

if he plays all 117 games he getsnearly 2 mil added to what,2.7m?...

it's a good deal, the rams front office is smarter than given credit for by some here...

go rams

slo

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I must admit, I do feel better about the deal after seeing the breakdown.

Which, I don't even know why I get worked up about cap when there's so many ways around it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
We can meet, cheer on the Rams, have a few drinks and I'll proudly eat a buffet of crow :cool:

For what it's worth, I know we'll make the playoffs.

I'm not singling anyone out. I just find it really odd that people get so invested about things like contracts and cap space rather than seeing the player behind the numbers, their potential, and ultimately putting on a competitive product.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
22 pages about a #3 or #4 receiver......

qPTWXU5.gif
They don't call it the silly season for nothing.

nighttrain

Legend
I agree with you. Would I rather have gone after Tyrell Williams at this price range? Yes, but regardless of what I wanted the Rams went towards DJ. I'm rooting for him to stay healthy and happy that a good chunk of his contract is incentive based on his availability since that is his biggest question mark.
availability is his only question mark. my two cents, and contract indicates Rams FO aware
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
John Brown?
Edit after looking at OTC.. Tyrell Williams, Demarcus Robinson, Chris Conley, Rashard Higgins (John Ross but he doesn’t play)
Williams? Maybe. We're talking half million less but a straight up dollar amount.
Robinson? Since when is 4.59 speed a take off the top guy?
Conley? Always been a JAG and has hands of stone. I doubt the Rams even considered him to be as good as anything we already had.
Rashard Higgins... Again...not a speedster - signed a fully guaranteed contract to stay with the Browns after looking for 6 mil on the market. He offers nothing we don't already have.
John Ross - definitely a speedster. And that is pretty much his entire skill set.

McVay is familiar with DJ. We all worry about the injury history and age. But it's not like other cheap options were a lock to improve the team. DJ isn't a lock in that regard either. But he's at least proven himself when healthy. He has/had? truly elite skills and speed. He signed a contract that bets on those assets being showcased.

It just doesn't strike me as a signing that should make anyone all that upset or question this regime over.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You know what else we don’t have - a center, solid iLBs, Edge depth, DL depth, Backup TE, etc. Yet we spend $4.5m+ on a 35 yr old, oft injured, questionable character deep threat toy.
We already have two of the highest priced WRs and a top WR pick from last year. Yeah that seems smart.

And neither of those two high priced WRs are deep threats. It's really only 2.75 mil with 105,000 per game played. So if he only plays 8 games it's about 3.6 mil. If he plays more, it'll be more but then that's fine. It's a contract that pays him for what he does in 2021, not what he did from 2008-2020. Yeah, it is smart.

As far as that center we need, watch the draft. We'll grab our starter with the #57 or #88 pick or you know Les, he may trade up or down and still get his guy.

MachS

Hall of Fame
But he's at least proven himself when healthy. He has/had? truly elite skills and speed.

Yes all time great speed as we all know, great tracking the ball deep, very good hands. But the thing I haven't seen mentioned enough is his elite route running. For small guy his releases at the line are so good and he immediately stacks the corner and wins quickly on his route. McVay requires his WRs to run great, precise routes and Djax does that extremely well. This is also why I thought Ross would never be a ram.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes, we do.
They signed Jackson this week, those other guys signed 10 days ago. If they were in on Linsley, they surely didnt back down because they knew they needed that extra 4 mill to sign DJax...
Come on man they didn’t have the others restructured in time to know how much they had for trying to get Linsley. But, they were probably done when the Raiders were offering Hudson.

I was not one thinking a speedy guy was an important role, certainly not as much as C.

What they paid for Jackson was too much. It’s not my money and I still trust what they are doing but, this was over reaching on an old injury prone guy who most likely won’t be available enough to be a difference.

I hope I’m wrong.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
And neither of those two high priced WRs are deep threats. It's really only 2.75 mil with 105,000 per game played. So if he only plays 8 games it's about 3.6 mil. If he plays more, it'll be more but then that's fine. It's a contract that pays him for what he does in 2021, not what he did from 2008-2020. Yeah, it is smart.

As far as that center we need, watch the draft. We'll grab our starter with the #57 or #88 pick or you know Les, he may trade up or down and still get his guy.
It’s about allocation of the cap - not signing Jackson itself. $3.6m for 8 games of a 3/4th WR seems high when you have other needs. What good is a deep threat when your QB is on his back.

yeah, I’m with you on going center early in draft. That’s my draft dream. But how many rookie centers drafted in 2-3rd round start immediately? Is that even what you want from a team going for the SB and who just traded so much for a QB?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If we do draft a speedy WR as you asked Jackson will only stand in his way getting practice reps.
So you think that if a rookie is showing better than or comparable DJ, he wont get reps? Not buying it.
Oh no some people actually think we'd root against the Rams if Jackson was doing good.
Come on man. The martyr play doesn't suit you. I DO find your disdain for this FO lately a little over the top. But I highly doubt anyone thinks you will cheer any missteps by the team or organization just to be right.
I think D'Wayne Eskridge could.
So what does signing DJ change about that? The Rams have a pattern of signing for the future. I think it's also why they don't value 1st round picks over proven talent. They feel - right or wrong - that they can get talent later, coach them up, and have them replace aging or expensive players while still being able to go after true impact players.

Guess we'll see. This signing doesn't even move the needle for me as a concern. I haven't even seen where any of it is guaranteed. Seems he still has to make the cut to get paid. I'm sure he will but if he takes a roster spot from someone who wasn't going to play anyway? Meh.

SinCityRam

UDFA
Pretty low risk, high reward if you ask me. If he doesn’t stay healthy it’s not a big cap hit and the Rams can easily move on. Still think we need to draft a speedy WR

Tano

Legend
having a hard time thinking this was a bad deal...

if he plays all 117 games he getsnearly 2 mil added to what,2.7m?...

it's a good deal, the rams front office is smarter than given credit for by some here...

go rams

slo
Wow - he has 10 more years

I just could not help myself :)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
That first reported number pissed me off. A very incentive laden deal to keep him healthy and producing seems like a good idea. A motivated DJax is the best DJax and probably worth all of that number.

Also, we all need to move through the stages of grief on this whole center issue. No way we expect a Rookie center to come in and play well right away. FA's are drying up. We've been angry, we've been in denial, and we've been apathetic. Let's just accept that we are going to have the same hole at center that we've had the last few years. It'll be what it is, we've had winning seasons with that hole at center. I don't think the Center position is making or breaking our super bowl chances this year.

Tano

Legend
I actually don't mind this contract.

Get a fast developing WR in this draft and let him sit for a year learning the NFL play

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you think that if a rookie is showing better than or comparable DJ, he wont get reps? Not buying it.

Come on man. The martyr play doesn't suit you. I DO find your disdain for this FO lately a little over the top. But I highly doubt anyone thinks you will cheer any missteps by the team or organization just to be right.

So what does signing DJ change about that? The Rams have a pattern of signing for the future. I think it's also why they don't value 1st round picks over proven talent. They feel - right or wrong - that they can get talent later, coach them up, and have them replace aging or expensive players while still being able to go after true impact players.

Guess we'll see. This signing doesn't even move the needle for me as a concern. I haven't even seen where any of it is guaranteed. Seems he still has to make the cut to get paid. I'm sure he will but if he takes a roster spot from someone who wasn't going to play anyway? Meh.
It’s hard to tell on the playing time. Some are saying we just dont play rookies which I don’t agree with we have actually played them.

I‘m not playing the martyr or trying to at all. I don’t have disdain for the front office or McVay. In fact ive said many times it’s been a great change and upgrade from previous regimes. My point is there are people who think because we’ve gotten better McSnead is beyond reproach and people who cite mistakes are criticized. This regime has been a good change but far from perfect.