Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I guess I understand why folks are saying they wouldn't want Staley based on his lack of success as the Chargers head coach. But in the 1 season he was with us, we had the #1 defense in the NFL.... staring Kiser and Young at ILB..... with SJD at nose tackle....and a rookie drafted in the 6th round starting at Free Safety.

I'd be more than happy to have him back.

I'd also add... I know he just left, but I'm a big Eric Henderson fan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can't see Vrabel take a DC job at all. A consultant for a HC he knows sure I get that. A DC? Just can't see it at all.
Not saying it is likely. I don't profess to know what he's thinking, however if he wanted to get a look inside the working of one of these WCO offenses and under a great head coach who could probably teach him a thing or two it might be a year well spent.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I guess I understand why folks are saying they wouldn't want Staley based on his lack of success as the Chargers head coach. But in the 1 season he was with us, we had the #1 defense in the NFL.... staring Kiser and Young at ILB..... with SJD at nose tackle....and a rookie drafted in the 6th round starting at Free Safety.

The question is why? Was it because he was on the leading edge of a scheme that frustrated even the like of McVay? What is the newness of the scheme? He goes to Chargers and teams have better idea of how to beat it?

In other words, was he a just smart coach who was in a right situation in history and got overrated because of it? Maybe he was never the boy genius.

I'd be more than happy to have him back.
He'd be fine. I don't hold Chargers gig against him. It's not like he's a bad coach ... I think he's a good coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying it is likely. I don't profess to know what he's thinking, however if he wanted to get a look inside the working of one of these WCO offenses and under a great head coach who could probably teach him a thing or two it might be a year well spent.
My money is on Ohio St. They'll lose to a Harbaughless Michigan. The fan base explodes and gets Day fired. Vrabel walks into his alma mater. Then 8 years from now he's back in the NFL.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The question is why? Was it because he was on the leading edge of a scheme that frustrated even the like of McVay? What is the newness of the scheme? He goes to Chargers and teams have better idea of how to beat it?

In other words, was he a just smart coach who was in a right situation in history and got overrated because of it? Maybe he was never the boy genius.
Alluded to this earlier but for people who are fans of Staley, they will look at the games he really dialed in on like when they played the Dolphins last year and stopped their offense. The word from Chargers was he was too handsy with other aspects of the program and didn't pay enough attention to the D.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Lots of names already getting bandied about. Evero looks like he's being kept in Charlotte which is a shame.

Does McVay want to stay with a Fangio system guy or expand beyond that?

Guys I'm curious about:
- Anthony Weaver and Chris Hewitt from the Ravens. Love MacDonald's multiple system. Not a lot of blitzing out of it though.
- Vrabel. He may get left out of the HC coaching cycle this year, his players dominate on that side of the ball. He most likely only lasts a year though.
- Wink. He's not a fav choice but like his pedigree.
- Leonard. A first choice for LaFleur before he hired Barry. Not that he's out at UW. He can be had. Word is his defense is boom or bust though.
- Shane Bowen. A Vrabel lieutenant.

*I would not be shocked to see Bilechuk as a defensive consultant here next year.
BilaCHEAT here?!?!?
No Way Friday GIF

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Vrabel is not taking anything other than an NFL head coaching job. Zero chance. If he doesn’t get the job he wants this year he’ll do ESPN for 10 months and then get first dibs next coaching cycle.

I think the biggest question with Raheem’s departure is….does this influence Aaron Donald to consider retirement sooner? I’d have placed retirement at like a 10% chance, but now that Raheem is gone? Probably 15%-20%.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My money is on Ohio St. They'll lose to a Harbaughless Michigan. The fan base explodes and gets Day fired. Vrabel walks into his alma mater. Then 8 years from now he's back in the NFL.
That sounds quite reasonable. Day is on borrowed time I think so none of that would surprise me.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wonder if McVay has a policy against promoting from within to Coordinator levels.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing's for sure... The Rams DC gig is highly coveted right now around the league. Few staffs can offer a coach as sure a look at owner interviews as running one of our coordinator spots.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wouldn't mind seeing Vrabel come over for a one year. If that were to happen McVay could pick his mind re: the Belicheat and Parcells approach to things. The Staley hiring felt like it was for him to learn the ins and outs of that Fangio system.

But I am confident we'll come out of this in good shape. Thankfully this didn't stretch out any longer.
McVays affinity for Cheat, may make Vrabel a hot candidate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVays affinity for Cheat, may make Vrabel a hot candidate.
One interesting thing with Vrabel, going off memory here, is that I can't recall him ever coordinating a top defense. Of course he's qualified. But I remember when he first got hired wondering if he'd be another Fisher. Which is to say a guy who got elevated too quick before making his bones and building that defensive expertise.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
One interesting thing with Vrabel, going off memory here, is that I can't recall him ever coordinating a top defense. Of course he's qualified. But I remember when he first got hired wondering if he'd be another Fisher. Which is to say a guy who got elevated too quick before making his bones and building that defensive expertise.
One thing I can say about Vrabel, is he’s had some success as a HC.
Unlike the pirate or golden boy.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Seems a little more than half of the filled posts has previous NFL experience calling plays. Others were position coaches -- only 2-3 from a DL background most LB or secondary

Not any pattern ... could be anyone ... even college though does not seem to be any now. Would have to see about the ones who are gone

2024-01-25_21-14-57.jpg
2024-01-25_21-14-27.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Vrabel is not taking anything other than an NFL head coaching job. Zero chance. If he doesn’t get the job he wants this year he’ll do ESPN for 10 months and then get first dibs next coaching cycle.

I think the biggest question with Raheem’s departure is….does this influence Aaron Donald to consider retirement sooner? I’d have placed retirement at like a 10% chance, but now that Raheem is gone? Probably 15%-20%.
This is likely his last yr. 2025 is a void yr so this is technically his last yr under contract. I guess he could always comeback with a 1 yr deal if they are loaded for a SB run in 25', but this very easily could be it for him and I doubt he wants to go out as a WC loser.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it has to be someone ready to jump into the teaching culture McVay went back to this season. They will have a lot of guys to chose from after the dust settles from Rah leaving and a few more coaches being poached.

Who doesn’t want to work with McVay and the Rams?

Another big influx of rookies with plenty of room for coaching guys up to continue the growth from this year.