DC Brandon Staley has big plans for Jalen Ramsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

One minute, 48 seconds. That's how long Brandon Staley waxed poetic about Jalen Ramsey this week, when asked about his All-Pro corner.
"I love coaching this guy," the Rams new defensive coordinator told reporters in a virtual media session. "It has been one of the unique parts about this whole thing, the relationship that I've been able to form with him in a short time."

Acquired from Jacksonville for a pair of first round picks last October, Ramsey has been on Staley's radar since his freshman year at Florida State. Staley had multiple connections with that Seminoles staff, and combined with his observations of Ramsey's NFL career, held an informed opinion about the cornerstone he was inheriting when Sean McVay hired him.

"(Jalen) has been really, really fun to work with. He has got high capacity to learn; he's got a high capacity to lead."
Settle in, because Staley was just getting started . "He's got command of all the positions in the defensive backfield," the first-time NFL defensive coordinator continued. "You know, I do not look at him just as a corner. I look at him as a (defensive back). This guy can do anything. He thinks like a quarterback. This game means a lot to him. His craft, his focus, his commitment… I couldn't be more impressed with this guy."

Not that we doubted Ramsey would be wearing Horns for many seasons to come, but Staley's affinity certainly can't hurt.
And from a coach's standpoint, not a bad idea to invest heavily in one of the new pillars of this roster. Next to Aaron Donald, there's a case to be made for Ramsey as the next-best player on the roster.

"He and I talk two, three times a day," Staley volunteered. "We FaceTime after every meeting." That's right. After meetings, they have additional break-out sessions to talk ball one-on-one. Or at least that's the intention. Here's where the challenges of connecting through a pandemic have been accompanied by plenty of silver linings. Staley reports that his relationship with Ramsey has already been enhanced by the interruptions of the next generation. Inevitably, their extra talk time is derailed by cameos from the star player's two daughters and the defensive coordinator's three sons. Those meaningful interactions would be unlikely to occur during a normal offseason program at the facility. That's how Staley – finally – wound down his discourse on Ramsey, who is set for his first full season with Los Angeles in 2020.

But later, when asked about the rest of the defensive backfield and how they might complement the Pro Bowler, Staley picked up right where he left off. "With Jalen, what's awesome about him is he can play anywhere. He can play outside or inside or safety. So we can move him around if we need to. Safety?

Why would a coach take an elite talent at one of the most important positions in sports and move him around to other positions?
Could be just to mess with opposing quarterbacks. Could be to maximize the speed in the back end, get more corners on the field, potentially if the Cardinals go four-wide.

My guess? George Kittle. Ramsey has a history of matching with tight ends, and the top tight end in the game is going to be a twice-a-year problem for Staley and the Rams. Even with the investments San Francisco has made at wide receiver, Kittle remains their most troublesome target. Perhaps that's where floating the idea of Ramsey as a "safety" comes in. After all, he's the size of John Johnson, not Troy Hill.

But that's speculation for another day (and Week 6, specifically). For now, in mid-May, the fact that shutdown orders have somehow helped a shutdown corner bond with his new defensive coordinator should bode well for the future of Ramsey and the Rams defense."I think there's a lot more in him than he's shown in the NFL. I mean, he's shown himself to be one of the premier guys. But I know there's a lot more in him for him to showcase," Staley said. "Certainly, looking for him to provide a lot of leadership and production in that defensive backfield."

DC Brandon Staley's approach, scheme energizing Rams players

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think that Ramsey is really going to settle into his own here and take his game to another level. Sarina talked about how with his daughters he wants to stop swearing, including on the field, so I think he's looking to settle down do the family thing, and just dominate at his position.

Can't wait to see how he's moved down to give opposing team's nightmares. Jimmy G will be throwing picks all day if you put Jalen on his favorite target.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
^ I think I have to agree that he is trying to turn over into a new chapter in his life.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think that Ramsey is really going to settle into his own here and take his game to another level. Sarina talked about how with his daughters he wants to stop swearing, including on the field, so I think he's looking to settle down do the family thing, and just dominate at his position.

Can't wait to see how he's moved down to give opposing team's nightmares. Jimmy G will be throwing picks all day if you put Jalen on his favorite target.
I'm hopeful things happen that way. If the Rams struggle this year I think he bails in FA for a team who contended in 2020 and whose outlook is better (Rams will not tag him IMO). But hopefully they have a playoff season and the Rams get lucky with him maturing at the right time with them.

Sure would be nice to have a true shutdown corner. Still waiting to see that and IMO it's been a long time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
PAY THE MAN.

Seriously, I'm a huge fan of Jalen Ramsey and he (along with Cooper Kupp) deserve a hefty pay raise. They're elite players, and you can't let them go.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

One minute, 48 seconds. That's how long Brandon Staley waxed poetic about Jalen Ramsey this week, when asked about his All-Pro corner.
"I love coaching this guy," the Rams new defensive coordinator told reporters in a virtual media session. "It has been one of the unique parts about this whole thing, the relationship that I've been able to form with him in a short time."

Acquired from Jacksonville for a pair of first round picks last October, Ramsey has been on Staley's radar since his freshman year at Florida State. Staley had multiple connections with that Seminoles staff, and combined with his observations of Ramsey's NFL career, held an informed opinion about the cornerstone he was inheriting when Sean McVay hired him.

"(Jalen) has been really, really fun to work with. He has got high capacity to learn; he's got a high capacity to lead."
Settle in, because Staley was just getting started . "He's got command of all the positions in the defensive backfield," the first-time NFL defensive coordinator continued. "You know, I do not look at him just as a corner. I look at him as a (defensive back). This guy can do anything. He thinks like a quarterback. This game means a lot to him. His craft, his focus, his commitment… I couldn't be more impressed with this guy."

Not that we doubted Ramsey would be wearing Horns for many seasons to come, but Staley's affinity certainly can't hurt.
And from a coach's standpoint, not a bad idea to invest heavily in one of the new pillars of this roster. Next to Aaron Donald, there's a case to be made for Ramsey as the next-best player on the roster.

"He and I talk two, three times a day," Staley volunteered. "We FaceTime after every meeting." That's right. After meetings, they have additional break-out sessions to talk ball one-on-one. Or at least that's the intention. Here's where the challenges of connecting through a pandemic have been accompanied by plenty of silver linings. Staley reports that his relationship with Ramsey has already been enhanced by the interruptions of the next generation. Inevitably, their extra talk time is derailed by cameos from the star player's two daughters and the defensive coordinator's three sons. Those meaningful interactions would be unlikely to occur during a normal offseason program at the facility. That's how Staley – finally – wound down his discourse on Ramsey, who is set for his first full season with Los Angeles in 2020.

But later, when asked about the rest of the defensive backfield and how they might complement the Pro Bowler, Staley picked up right where he left off. "With Jalen, what's awesome about him is he can play anywhere. He can play outside or inside or safety. So we can move him around if we need to. Safety?

Why would a coach take an elite talent at one of the most important positions in sports and move him around to other positions?
Could be just to mess with opposing quarterbacks. Could be to maximize the speed in the back end, get more corners on the field, potentially if the Cardinals go four-wide.

My guess? George Kittle. Ramsey has a history of matching with tight ends, and the top tight end in the game is going to be a twice-a-year problem for Staley and the Rams. Even with the investments San Francisco has made at wide receiver, Kittle remains their most troublesome target. Perhaps that's where floating the idea of Ramsey as a "safety" comes in. After all, he's the size of John Johnson, not Troy Hill.

But that's speculation for another day (and Week 6, specifically). For now, in mid-May, the fact that shutdown orders have somehow helped a shutdown corner bond with his new defensive coordinator should bode well for the future of Ramsey and the Rams defense."I think there's a lot more in him than he's shown in the NFL. I mean, he's shown himself to be one of the premier guys. But I know there's a lot more in him for him to showcase," Staley said. "Certainly, looking for him to provide a lot of leadership and production in that defensive backfield."

DC Brandon Staley's approach, scheme energizing Rams players
With his size...IF this works out long-term... He could eventually move to safety, when he loses a step or two, the way Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lot did and end up having a long career.... Hopefully here.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would love to see Ramsey covering Kittle.
Shut that dude down and make Jimmy G-string look elsewhere.