CAMP REPORT Day One ROD camp reports Jul 25

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Was a long day, got there early, had to wait in line for the gate to open 2 hours. Only one field for fans, Stands on just one side, no goal posts, They were on the baseball field behind the stands and no fan access. Defense did work there we couldn't see. No shade. Not very fan friendly IMHO.
Stafford was the first player to come out, All out stretching, some wierd calisthenics then they grouped up by position at various parts of the field. We had QB's and WR's in front of us, QB's taking snaps from a coach, WR's going out 15 yds for a pass. They did this several times and in pecking order, Kupp then Nacua, Robinson, TuTu, Tyler Johnson, Xavier Smith, Wittington and Wiglusz. I believe that's the current depth at WR. Players in shorts and shells.
QB's practiced handing off to RB's, Williams first then Corum, Rivers and Evans. Boston Scott didn't participate. In fact, I don't think he did anything in 11 on 11 or 7 on 7 drills.
OL on one end of field, LB's and DB's on another doing drills. Defense was on baseball field out of view. after about an hour they came back and started the good stuff, 11 on 11 scrimmages. Surprised that they went 1st team O on 1st team D.
1st team OL: Aleric Jackson LT, Jonah Jackson LG, Avila C, Dotson RG, Havenstien RT.
1st team DL: Byron Young LDE, Fiske DT, Brown DT, Tyler Davis DT, Verse RDE. They started this way but they interchaged and shuffed guys around a lot.
2nd team OL: Zach Thomas LT, Mike McAllister LG, Beaux Limmer C, Logan Bruss RG, Joe Noteboom RT. McClendon played some LT
2nd team DL: Nick Hampton LDE, Michael Hoecht DT, Tyler Davis DT, Cory Druden NT, Brenen Jackson RDE. 2nd team DL changed a lot. same with the backfield. Think they're trying to figure out who is best where.
The offense switched from 1st team to 2nd team and didn't change personel much. Stetson Bennett never got on the field. They scrimmaged for a little over an hour. with some pretty good effort by both sides.
Stafford, Kupp, Nacua are locked in. Williams is clearly #1 RB, Corum then Rivers all got involved and did well.
TE's stood out. Hunter Long, Colby Parkinson and Davis Allen all made plays. Parkinson can block.
Safety is deep. JJ3rd, Lake and especially Kareem Curl, who made a spectacular breakup coming all the way accross the field to deny Kupp.
Players that stood out to me today, Tyler Johnson gets open and catches everything. Cobie Durrant had good coverage. Curl is a steal. Rams backfield looks good. Verse is fast. He beat Aleric Jackson a few time. OL 1st team was unmovable today.

All in all a spirited practice. Players were balling, coaches were in thier ear. I'm not worried about the offense. I'm worried about the D stopping the run. Rams DL just looks light. Still a long way to go.

Early practice tomorrow, only an hour. Hope they cover special teams. Will post a report.

Good night.
thanks for doing this. It’s always appreciated and adds so much to the excitement as the season nears.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are my thoughts on our Rams Camp.

I'm thinking (as always) this team has some serious talent! The D Line will get to the quarterback. There were a couple of times that JV #8 did get to the QB, #55 BF is one strong MFer and rather quick on his feet. Center Avilla is holding his own against Fiske most of the time. The guards look solid but based on my photos, lots of holding going on along with the tackles.

Stafford is Stafford, Jimmy G will be OK and there is a reason he is now a back-up QB. A couple of times his throws were to no one. They just dropped to the ground with no receiver in sight. Was that on him or the receiver? Don't know but I felt he should have forced a throw or two. Now is the time to practice that, get in sync with your receivers, trust them to make the catch and vice versa.

Running backs can't be judged at this point with no pads on. Boston Scott is one small dude with tree trunks for legs!

Receivers look really good, just about all of them. Of course Kupp and Puca look outstanding, ready to go. Who really impressed me was #18 Tyler Johnson. He was consistently getting open and has great speed and of course caught the ball. Tutu I hate to say may be the odd man out this year and that's a shame because he really is a good receiver. When given a choice of a 5'9" vs. 6'1" +40 pounds in a receiver, who you gonna take? Whittington showed well but was limited with the 2nd team.

Tight ends looks to be a strength this year. Parkinson and Allen showed out with blocking and receiving. Hunter Long had a couple of moments but there are only so many balls to go around. I'm pretty high on Allen from what he showed last season. I love me some Higbee but I think the Rams were very astute to sign Parkinson. Tyler's days may be over with a combination of his knee, age and contract (just speculating, don't shoot me).

Our DB's showed some flash and then again they didn't. It's only the second day of camp and the D is usually ahead of the O in execution at this point. Well, not all the time. Our star receivers (Kupp, Puca) were consistently getting open. Puca had one drop (see my photos) but his route running and speed showed. Curl made an amazing play right in front of us. You've all read about it already so I'll leave it alone. I can't say who in the D backfield was doing good or bad as I lost track of the players. I'll try and do better on Saturday.

It was a really interesting day with the whole practice being dedicated to 11 x 11. JB Long (Rams announcer) was describing each segment of the practice before they began but I couldn't really hear what he was saying. I do know the Rams had about eight 10 minute session where they were working and focusing on something. It wasn't just random stuff. McVey is a very detailed and organized coach. We are so fortunate to have him...still.

As far a Loyola Marymount University. Nice campus. Not near as fan friendly as UCI. Many around us were complaining about the sun. It was about 80 degrees but we did have a nice ocean breeze. I did get some sunburn on my legs and arms. There were two beer stands plus they let us take them anywhere the public could go. I'm going to have to reset my camera shutter time as we were looking into the sun the whole time. The stands are small compared to UCI. I'm guessing they could hold 1k to 1.5k people. A far cry from the 8k we experienced at UCI.

All the fans were nice and we had some wonderful conversations with those around us. Lot of knowledgeable fans out there. I'm looking forward to Saturday.

So I can't make today's practice, Bubba said he would. I also can't make it on Monday or next Wednesday. So I'll only be able to see three days of camp. Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
From looking at your photos...

Blake Larson is one big bastid. He's AJ sized.

What a drag to see the stands, compared to how the Rams had built things up at the other site. Ouch.

Get that head around Darious!

If that was a game I'd guess Verse would have had a couple sacks.

Thanks for those my man. :thumbsup1:
Very astute! All those items you listed are correct!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, the Navy comes in handy for the Marines whenever they need a ride.
Yep, and after we drop them we enjoy hot cooked meals and an endless supply of coffee available 24/7. But I understand those MRE's are just fabulous!
Still, nothing like the steak and lobster meals that you get with the flyboys, however.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still, nothing like the steak and lobster meals that you get with the flyboys, however.
Yeah, it's a good gig, if you can get it.
1722007576626.png

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Here are my thoughts on our Rams Camp.

I'm thinking (as always) this team has some serious talent! The D Line will get to the quarterback. There were a couple of times that JV #8 did get to the QB, #55 BF is one strong MFer and rather quick on his feet. Center Avilla is holding his own against Fiske most of the time. The guards look solid but based on my photos, lots of holding going on along with the tackles.

Stafford is Stafford, Jimmy G will be OK and there is a reason he is now a back-up QB. A couple of times his throws were to no one. They just dropped to the ground with no receiver in sight. Was that on him or the receiver? Don't know but I felt he should have forced a throw or two. Now is the time to practice that, get in sync with your receivers, trust them to make the catch and vice versa.

Running backs can't be judged at this point with no pads on. Boston Scott is one small dude with tree trunks for legs!

Receivers look really good, just about all of them. Of course Kupp and Puca look outstanding, ready to go. Who really impressed me was #18 Tyler Johnson. He was consistently getting open and has great speed and of course caught the ball. Tutu I hate to say may be the odd man out this year and that's a shame because he really is a good receiver. When given a choice of a 5'9" vs. 6'1" +40 pounds in a receiver, who you gonna take? Whittington showed well but was limited with the 2nd team.

Tight ends looks to be a strength this year. Parkinson and Allen showed out with blocking and receiving. Hunter Long had a couple of moments but there are only so many balls to go around. I'm pretty high on Allen from what he showed last season. I love me some Higbee but I think the Rams were very astute to sign Parkinson. Tyler's days may be over with a combination of his knee, age and contract (just speculating, don't shoot me).

Our DB's showed some flash and then again they didn't. It's only the second day of camp and the D is usually ahead of the O in execution at this point. Well, not all the time. Our star receivers (Kupp, Puca) were consistently getting open. Puca had one drop (see my photos) but his route running and speed showed. Curl made an amazing play right in front of us. You've all read about it already so I'll leave it alone. I can't say who in the D backfield was doing good or bad as I lost track of the players. I'll try and do better on Saturday.

It was a really interesting day with the whole practice being dedicated to 11 x 11. JB Long (Rams announcer) was describing each segment of the practice before they began but I couldn't really hear what he was saying. I do know the Rams had about eight 10 minute session where they were working and focusing on something. It wasn't just random stuff. McVey is a very detailed and organized coach. We are so fortunate to have him...still.

As far a Loyola Marymount University. Nice campus. Not near as fan friendly as UCI. Many around us were complaining about the sun. It was about 80 degrees but we did have a nice ocean breeze. I did get some sunburn on my legs and arms. There were two beer stands plus they let us take them anywhere the public could go. I'm going to have to reset my camera shutter time as we were looking into the sun the whole time. The stands are small compared to UCI. I'm guessing they could hold 1k to 1.5k people. A far cry from the 8k we experienced at UCI.

All the fans were nice and we had some wonderful conversations with those around us. Lot of knowledgeable fans out there. I'm looking forward to Saturday.

So I can't make today's practice, Bubba said he would. I also can't make it on Monday or next Wednesday. So I'll only be able to see three days of camp. Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans.
Very much appreciate these reports. It helps all of us sitting and home chomping at the bit to see our Rams play!

Did you happen to catch D. Will's injury? Hoping its just a tweek and he'll be good to go for the season (praying is more like it).

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
One other question, did you happen to see any of the players signing for kids after practice? If so, what part of the "facility" were they doing it at? Son loved getting signatures after practice last year and he'd love to repeat this year.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
One other question, did you happen to see any of the players signing for kids after practice? If so, what part of the "facility" were they doing it at? Son loved getting signatures after practice last year and he'd love to repeat this year.
First thing, no I did not see the injury and didn't know it occurred until I came here last night.

Second, yes they were signing. I had one picture but didn't post it. They came to the fence line where you would enter the bleacher area. I'll look for that pic.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Follow up to the signing. Just heard on a video that the players were signing at the ESPN tent which is to the far left of the bleachers as you are facing the field.