Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things we heard after the last 49ers game.

1. He takes too many sacks, 2 of the 3 games since he's taken 1 or less.
2. He's 1-3 as a starter, 2 games since he's 2-1 with both wins coming against last year's NFC championship game participants.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Can't you guys go one day without finding a way to bitch at each other about QBs?

Who cares man? We won! Be happy, be jovial. I swear I haven't seen half of you in this thread actually celebrate our win yet, just immediately into the grievance of the day. Some of you are acting like Davis is more than he is, I remind you that this guy is a former 3rd stringer brought in out of necessity not hope. Our 3rd stringer playing in what is this, his 8 game, didn't play like a seasoned pro and we won in spite of him? Stop the presses you're blowing my mind. The guy really doesn't warrant all this, especially in lieu of the fact that we WON today. I remind everybody that Davis really just won being second best from Hill. He's not a starter, he is not our future and has never been implied to be such by anybody with the power to make it such. What's the point of banging the drum that's already been banged over and over ad infinitum since he had his first bad game?

This season was lost before it even officially began way back in Cleveland, lets not delude ourselves. With Hill or without we were looking at an uphill battle where every win would be a a blessing. Lets focus on the fact that we are getting wins and this team isn't giving up and fighting and less on our back up QB not playing like an NFL starter he never was.

Ramathon

Let's be honest. While Hill doesn't have the lows that Davis has shown at times - it's dubious that he looks as good at times as Davis does either. And playing a weak team with a weak rush and an OL that was actually reasonably healthy - he got injured.

I was a Hill supporter. But despite today Davis has looked good overall. And even with today he has looked solid overall.

Davis has had bad stats the last two weeks. Last week of course he lost his LT (and consequently his LG) fairly early. His RG shortly thereafter. His #1 receiver. This week he faced a team that had played him tough not long before, with two weeks to game plan for him, with a swiss cheese line and his favorite target out for the season. He sucked for most of the game, but managed to pull out the win. Give him another start at least.

I'm not at all concerned with the bad stats for one game. That happens to the best of them. My concern with Davis' play yesterday was that, towards the end of the first half, the camera got in close on him as they were lining up and he started having that 'deer in the headlights' look in his eye.

For once, Schotty made some adjustments at halftime that negated the 9er's pass rush a little and seemingly allowed AD to calm down a little as well. But IMO, the biggest hurdle AD has to overcome if he's going to become a bona fide starting quality QB is his own emotions. He needs to get them under control. Much easier said than done, I know. It's good he has the ability to scramble with his feet in tight situations at times, but he can't be mentally scrambling at the first sign of adversity.....and he seemed to be doing that at times yesterday.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The guy on our sidelines with the bum knee was willing to stand tall and deliver.

There are a lot of QBs in the NFL that could succeed behind our OL. You want to know how to negate pressure and beat the blitz? Get the ball out quickly. Davis doesn't do that. Why do you think that Peyton Manning is rarely sacked no matter what OL he's behind? It ain't his mobility.

When teams blitz you, you do what other team do to us. You beat them with quick passes over the middle of the field. Issue is that Davis's field vision is poor over the middle of the field, he doesn't process things quickly enough(holds the ball too long) and flushes from the pocket at the first sign of pressure.

You said get leveled for timing routes, not stand tall in the pocket. All these things you are talking about are quite common in young inexperienced QBs, especially ones facing the likes of SF. We were willing to give the guy with the bum knee 3 yrs to be a franchise QB, we can't give this guy a few games to earn a backup spot next year? You're going to wonder why he don't beat the blitz like HOFer Manning?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He avoids getting leveled because he bails on the pocket which in turn neuters our passing game. I'd much prefer we had a QB willing to get leveled so he can hit on those timing routes. There were multiple instances where Davis could have made a throw for a first down or a TD if he had stayed in the pocket and taken a hit but he chose to bail and it ended up in a throw away.

Even when he did scramble, his throws were inaccurate and his reads were poor.

Blame the OL all you want, they were far from perfect today but the QB takes some blame in it. He can make his OL look better. Unfortunately, Davis has tended to do the opposite.

I'll hold judgement until I rewatch it. In most of the shots on TV I cannot see if receivers are open or covered. The only time the announcers seemed to notice if that was the case was on the missed TD pass to Kendricks. Davis doesn't look tall in the pocket. He looks short and seems to get outside when the pocket collapses just to try to see downfield. Lets see how he does in the face of a lesser pass rush.

Now the line was not good, and if you recall many started calling Bradford gunshy. Even Jaws was saying it when watching film. Many here felt he cut bait and ran far too quickly at one time. But he has since improved upon it. But he actually had a pocket to stand in by then.

Davis may not be the answer but I will still be willing to start him over Hill.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yes, lets chuck the baby out with the bath water why don't we....

Davis isn't Aaron Rogers, but you know what, neither is Hill, and neither is for that matter Sam Bradford. Davis is the best we have at the moment, and he's healthy. Sure he has limitations, but you know what I've seen Sam run scared from blitz defences too, as I have Manning, did anyone see last year's Super Bowl, I'm sorry Manning looked mediocre AT BEST.

You forget that EVERY defence is gunning for him, he's a green QB, and they want to shake him up from the get go, and as for going for safe throws, hasn't that been the Rams way in recent years? Do we have a solid receiving core that you can count on to make 50/50 catches, to me the jury is still out. I really don't think Hill will bring anything better to the table.

The Rams beat SF in SF, it may have been a defensive win, about time I hear you say, but you know what guys, I really don't care, we're winning games...

Can't we just rejoice in beating the 49ers, for driving Kaepernick's a$$ into the ground and for the simple fact that again the Defence has waited till week 9 before waking up....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll hold judgement until I rewatch it. In most of the shots on TV I cannot see if receivers are open or covered. The only time the announcers seemed to notice if that was the case was on the missed TD pass to Kendricks. Davis doesn't look tall in the pocket. He looks short and seems to get outside when the pocket collapses just to try to see downfield. Lets see how he does in the face of a lesser pass rush.

Now the line was not good, and if you recall many started calling Bradford gunshy. Even Jaws was saying it when watching film. Many here felt he cut bait and ran far too quickly at one time. But he has since improved upon it. But he actually had a pocket to stand in by then.

Davis may not be the answer but I will still be willing to start him over Hill.

I saw it multiple times. And that was with the TV shots. Have a feeling it's even worse with the coach's film.

Bradford "gunshy" was getting the ball out too quickly in the pocket. Davis "gunshy" is scrambling and throwing it away or making a poor decision/throw on the run.

You said get leveled for timing routes, not stand tall in the pocket. All these things you are talking about are quite common in young inexperienced QBs, especially ones facing the likes of SF. We were willing to give the guy with the bum knee 3 yrs to be a franchise QB, we can't give this guy a few games to earn a backup spot next year? You're going to wonder why he don't beat the blitz like HOFer Manning?

They're the same thing in Davis's case because he holds the ball too damn long. You want to know how to stop teams from blitzing? Beat it. Get the ball out before the blitz can get there. But scrambling outside the pocket and throwing the ball away is just going to make them blitz you more.

The things I'm talking about are not quite common. Some QBs can handle the blitz, some can't.

He doesn't have to beat it like Manning...just freaking beat it. They're sending 6 and 7 guys after you. You should be able to read the defense and know the match-up you have. Davis doesn't.

I'm tired of excuses for the guy. He's not getting it done. If Sam were playing like this, I'd be just as frustrated.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I saw it multiple times. And that was with the TV shots. Have a feeling it's even worse with the coach's film.

Bradford "gunshy" was getting the ball out too quickly in the pocket. Davis "gunshy" is scrambling and throwing it away or making a poor decision/throw on the run.

They're the same thing in Davis's case because he holds the ball too damn long. You want to know how to stop teams from blitzing? Beat it. Get the ball out before the blitz can get there. But scrambling outside the pocket and throwing the ball away is just going to make them blitz you more.

The things I'm talking about are not quite common. Some QBs can handle the blitz, some can't.

He doesn't have to beat it like Manning...just freaking beat it. They're sending 6 and 7 guys after you. You should be able to read the defense and know the match-up you have. Davis doesn't.

I'm tired of excuses for the guy. He's not getting it done. If Sam were playing like this, I'd be just as frustrated.

The things you are talking about are quite common for young QBs. The new QBs do it every year. RGIII does it, Cousins does it, Kap does it, G. Smith, etc, etc. Every team we've played except KC (even SEA with St Wilson), their fans complain of these things. PT is the only cure. Handling the blitz is a learned skill, not an innate talent.
And again, Bradford got 3 years, Quick got 3, some people are willing to give Pead 4, Robinson is going to get 3, but a PS player in his 8th game mostly against good defenses gets the "I'm tired of excuses" treatment? When 1st rounders on other teams are getting benched? Or in mid-bust? I don't get it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with the posters saying Davis is inexperienced, this is his biggest draw back. He had a couple of big plays/TDs he left on the field today because of him not seeing them. Well, one he saw he just massively underthrew the ball to Britt. The second, in the fourth quarter with Kendricks running wide open for a big gain or possible TD would have probably iced the game at that point. The thing that disturbs me most with the Kendricks play is it was in his field of vision on the roll out. Either he was gun shy at that point and wasnt trusting what he was seeing or had stop going through progressions at that point. I expect more down games from Davis and I expect more good games and moments as well as he grows. The O line has to help him out some more. I think Schotty did a pretty good job of helping to protect Davis from risky throws in the second half. It was VERY conservative, but, thats ok. After the short punt that was play calling not to miss out on a FG opportunity. Two runs up the middle and a roll out (where Davis didnt see Kendricks)....this is playing calling for an O line you dont trust.
Anyway, I dont see an advantage to going away from Davis at this point really. Even if he ends up being a long term back up sort of prospect lets see what he can do....how he grows for the rest of the season. We know that Hill is a solid vet back up. If the Rams decide Davis is a disaster they can always resign Hill after the season as the back up. If he proves himself he is a legit cheaper backup option. Would Hill have performed better yesterday? Who knows? He may have completed some passes Davis did not but he also may have been sacked 10 times.

rams2050

Starter
He played a perennial powerhouse team and played just well enough to eke out a win, and not badly enough to make us lose.

Why can't we be happy?

It's almost as though we LOST this game, and the reason that we lost was Austin Davis.

I will be waiting, with 'bated breath, to read Mike Franke's report on the game. Mike is never afraid to find fault wherever he can, so I expect to read bad things about our QB == and yet he just managed to get the Rams in position to win, not lose, 2 of the last 3 games, both against mighty fine football teams.

I know he looks like a deer in the headlights; I know he's bailing far too early; I know he's not making the hot reads; but I also know that, at times, the collapse of the O-line has resembled a jail-break.

How well would any of us stand up to that if our situations were reversed?

I think he has a lot of talent, and I think that right now he is having trouble keeping his nerves in check. I also know that at 6'2" he might be a bit on the small side for an NFL QB, but I also think that Jeff Fisher is seeing the same things that a lot of us are seeing and, believe me, if he thought that Shawn Hill would win more games for the Rams I have no doubt that he would be starting him -- no matter what he might have said earlier in the season.

If Davis continues to falter-- and even though I like the guy I can admit that he has faltered at times (of course he was pretty beat up after the KC debacle, too, so that might have something to do with it) -- then Fisher can and probably will replace him.

I still stand firmly behind Davis. I have seen more good than bad, even though the bad has come more recently. I still think he has plenty of upside, and I'm looking forward -- gleefully -- to seeing what he can do in his next appearances.

I, like a lot of you, was expecting big things from the Rams this season. Big things haven't yet materialized in the way in which I envisioned them happening, and yet I now find myself looking forward to the games -- and not expecting a beatdown, for once.

Be happy, guys. Who knows what the future might bring?

Athos

Legend
The guy on our sidelines with the bum knee was willing to stand tall and deliver

I hear what you're saying, but Bradford took massive beatings to get out some of those plays and you can probably argue they negatively impacted him at times. QBs shouldn't have to take as many big hits as Bradford has taken in his career. If Davis stands in and takes the hits you're talking about, what happens when he gets injured? We're stuck with Hill, then Keenum.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
The guy on our sidelines with the bum knee was willing to stand tall and deliver.

There are a lot of QBs in the NFL that could succeed behind our OL. You want to know how to negate pressure and beat the blitz? Get the ball out quickly. Davis doesn't do that. Why do you think that Peyton Manning is rarely sacked no matter what OL he's behind? It ain't his mobility.

When teams blitz you, you do what other team do to us. You beat them with quick passes over the middle of the field. Issue is that Davis's field vision is poor over the middle of the field, he doesn't process things quickly enough(holds the ball too long) and flushes from the pocket at the first sign of pressure.

Bradford's willingness to stand tall in the pocket has really paid off big time for the Rams so far.

Do you feel that comparing any aspect of Davis' game to Manning's is fair at this point in his career?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Davis is a liability period but thinking that the aged less mobile Hill would last any period of time as a starter with this present OL........not for long until Hill is back on the sideline training table or heading to the locker room as damaged goods.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If that defense of ours had played as well throughout the season Davis would be fine ,I mean we only sacked the QB at a rate of 128 for the season, I know Davis is not now a QB you can put the game on and ask him to win it if our defense/team is giving up 30 a game ,but if we hold opponents to 20 or less ,we'll win over half our games.
What blows me away about all the Davis detractors is this,if he's as bad as they say and Hill is as good as they say, why can't Fisher a 20 year professional HC see it ? He and the rest of the staff will keep or lose their jobs partially dependent upon accurate assessment of this situation,I'm ready to admit there are some guys on this forum who do a lot more research that I ,but these coaches know what gives this team it's best chance far better than any of us ,and the Hill over Davis meme is abroken record guys ,nothing new being said and after a while it becomes trolling.
BTW the Chargers were giving up 15 points a game when Rivers was being tauted as a Manning Brees Brady peer, look whats happened to him since his D started giving up 30+

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Austin Davis has two primary issues.

#1. His Arm strength: It can't be argued that he does NOT have a gun for an arm. Watch the velocity of his throws and what throws he is good at. The arm strength also ties into number 2.

#2. His throwing motion: Watch how he throws. It is slow.........not so bad on short throws, but look at anything over 10 yards. His long ball has the biggest issue because he needs a lot of setup and body situating. He needs to line EVERYTHING up in order to make a good throw and with the Rams Oline, that spells doom.

I haven't mentioned Hill, but I have said Davis is not the answer. If he was given another chance as a starter next year it would only work with a revamped and veteran Oline.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I LOL at you for wanting to waste this special defense by playing for next year's draft.
Holy smokes, waste this special defense?

Yeah, they've been "special" alright. This team has somehow allowed 34 points in four different games. Yeah, it's all on Davis, Bradford and Hill or any other quarterback for not putting up 5 touch downs a game to overcome those defensive showings.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think on the Kendricks play his eyes were on the rush instead of looking down field. After getting so much pressure the whole game it is understandable but they have to find a way to get him passed that situation.

Quick throws, screens,a better running game. All would be better but these guys are scrambling to keep a team on the field and some how won on the road in SF. Gotta give them some credit along with the critiques.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Can't you guys go one day without finding a way to bitch at each other about QBs?

Who cares man? We won! Be happy, be jovial. I swear I haven't seen half of you in this thread actually celebrate our win yet, just immediately into the grievance of the day. Some of you are acting like Davis is more than he is, I remind you that this guy is a former 3rd stringer brought in out of necessity not hope. Our 3rd stringer playing in what is this, his 8 game, didn't play like a seasoned pro and we won in spite of him? Stop the presses you're blowing my mind. The guy really doesn't warrant all this, especially in lieu of the fact that we WON today. I remind everybody that Davis really just won being second best from Hill. He's not a starter, he is not our future and has never been implied to be such by anybody with the power to make it such. What's the point of banging the drum that's already been banged over and over ad infinitum since he had his first bad game?

This season was lost before it even officially began way back in Cleveland, lets not delude ourselves. With Hill or without we were looking at an uphill battle where every win would be a a blessing. Lets focus on the fact that we are getting wins and this team isn't giving up and fighting and less on our back up QB not playing like an NFL starter he never was.
Actually I like him.I like the fact that he threw his helmet down when he made those mistake showing how much he cares.He will make a good quarterback someday.I just feel that Hill will give us a better chance to win against certain teams.If the defense keep playing the way they are we could still make the playoffs.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
But aren't teams calling a lot of WR screens. Effective WR screens at that? Don't think I've ever seen Shotty run the screens other teams have successfully ran against us to help mitigate our pass rush. Not that I recall at least. That's on the OC.
Well we did have that nice screen that Cunningham took for like over 15 yards yesterday to set up that touchdown?

Seems to me like we saw a lot of unsuccessful screens last year.

It beats me why we haven't seen more, and I do wonder why the 49ers didn't burn us more with some screens.

Ramathon

If that defense of ours had played as well throughout the season Davis would be fine ,I mean we only sacked the QB at a rate of 128 for the season, I know Davis is not now a QB you can put the game on and ask him to win it if our defense/team is giving up 30 a game ,but if we hold opponents to 20 or less ,we'll win over half our games.
What blows me away about all the Davis detractors is this,if he's as bad as they say and Hill is as good as they say, why can't Fisher a 20 year professional HC see it ? He and the rest of the staff will keep or lose their jobs partially dependent upon accurate assessment of this situation,I'm ready to admit there are some guys on this forum who do a lot more research that I ,but these coaches know what gives this team it's best chance far better than any of us ,and the Hill over Davis meme is abroken record guys ,nothing new being said and after a while it becomes trolling.
BTW the Chargers were giving up 15 points a game when Rivers was being tauted as a Manning Brees Brady peer, look whats happened to him since his D started giving up 30+

At the time Fisher announced AD would be the starting QB for the rest of this year, I kinda went...'Huh?'. But only because, up to that point, he had been so adamant about Hill being the starter once he returned from injury. So, why the light switch flip of a change.(??)

And the conspiracy theorist in me says...'Follow the money.' This is my seriously waggy WAG.......

I think Demoff and/or silent Stan may have had a hand in this. Not that they said 'Start Davis or lose your job' kinda thing. But......

IF AD starts the rest of this year, and continues to improve over the course of the year to the point that he does bear the look of a legit NFL starting QB, think about how much leverage that gives the team in any contract talks with Bradford. It's HUGE. They can pretty much dictate to SB at that point what they're willing to do $$ wise. And if SB doesn't like it...., oh well. Let him go to another team.

And IF that were to occur, then they have their starting QB already on the roster, and cheaply at that for at least a couple yr. AND they don't have to expend a high draft pick on a QB next year if they don't see one they like.

And if KD/SK also threw in 'If you do this...you don't have to worry about your job next year', why would Fisher not make the change and let the chips fall where they may this year.(?) After all, they would almost certainly have to consider a high first round pick on a QB next year if AD doesn't work out.

All in all, from a $$ perspective, there's not much of a gamble here...unless one believes Hill is SO much better than AD that they're costing themselves 3-4(?) wins this year.

</conspiracy theorist mode off>

Status
Not open for further replies.