Damning with faint praise?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just a slightly different take...

To me, I think McVay's praise was intended to be significant. Especially since we all know that Bennett's issue wasnt physical-- it was some unknown issue probably related to either mental health or substance use.

So when McVay says Bennett has a "good look in his eye", I interpreted it to mean, "we all know Bennett has the physical tools for the job. But now he's made significant progress in his personal issues, and to me it looks like he's ready to contribute and be the competitor we all thought he could be when we drafted him."

Who knows, the whole Bennett situation is shrouded in mystery. But I took McVay's comments as being pretty significantly positive.

Honestly I'd like to see a video of McVays comments, if anyone has a link. McVay's tone and body language would be essential to know if McVay is seriously considering Bennett for the QB3 job this year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"let he who is without sin cast the first stone". We have all made mistakes in life and overcoming these mistakes is called growth.
That’s not the issue. There is a finite number of spots on NFL rosters. One guy’s “second chance” can take away another’s opportunity to be on a team.

Bennett blew his first chance. I don’t particularly care if he gets a second chance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice thing with Bennett is he's used to beating the odds and expectations. So personally I'm not gonna rule him out.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
That’s not the issue. There is a finite number of spots on NFL rosters. One guy’s “second chance” can take away another’s opportunity to be on a team.

Bennett blew his first chance. I don’t particularly care if he gets a second chance.
Well, it worked out pretty good for the Rams when Leonard Little got a second chance.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Yeah - wouldn’t be fair if Dresser didn’t get his shot.

We don’t look at some things the same AV, never really have, and I get what you’re saying, and can’t ague against it.

Still something about Bennet intrigues me. And I see no strangeness or ambivilance in McVay’s comment.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Just a slightly different take...

To me, I think McVay's praise was intended to be significant. Especially since we all know that Bennett's issue wasnt physical-- it was some unknown issue probably related to either mental health or substance use.

So when McVay says Bennett has a "good look in his eye", I interpreted it to mean, "we all know Bennett has the physical tools for the job. But now he's made significant progress in his personal issues, and to me it looks like he's ready to contribute and be the competitor we all thought he could be when we drafted him."

Who knows, the whole Bennett situation is shrouded in mystery. But I took McVay's comments as being pretty significantly positive.

Honestly I'd like to see a video of McVays comments, if anyone has a link. McVay's tone and body language would be essential to know if McVay is seriously considering Bennett for the QB3 job this year.

View: https://youtu.be/Umykm0AIfzw?si=0MUwZ4zf_hbqDRyb

The question and answer are at 31:00

If you ask me the connection to Nix is more interesting than the title of this thread. Why give anything away on a player with the draft today?

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
When I see a thread that I don’t find interesting, I don’t respond.

It is interesting to me how some people feel compelled to defend Bennett. If someone takes a jab at Tutu for being small, at Noteboom for being fragile, or at Reeder for missing tackles, few will defend and many will pile on. Not sure why Bennett is off limits.
Its not Bennett.
Its about you wanting attention starting a thread for the most insignificant or semi made up reason.
Your ego drives this. A thread for the sake of starting a thread.
There was no reason to start a thread and myself, do not care about some bothers, cousins, best friends pal across the street and who he thinks the Rams should draft in the first round.
None of it means anything so why waste brainpower thinking about it ?
And I like talking about the Rams.
But stuff like this is nauseating.
The Rams will draft soon and we will have something real to talk about.
Go Rams !

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

View: https://youtu.be/Umykm0AIfzw?si=0MUwZ4zf_hbqDRyb

The question and answer are at 31:00

If you ask me the connection to Nix is more interesting than the title of this thread. Why give anything away on a player with the draft today?

Thanks much for providing the link to the video.

Once McVay's comments are heard in context, it seems like a non-story. The players haven't done anything on the field yet. It's just been meetings! So by definition, McVay is severely limited in what he's capable of saying about a player. So McVay says Stetson has a "good look in his eye" and has "been attentive in meetings." I mean, what the hell else can he comment about?!? (".He's shown great form in how he carries the playbook"?)

Depending on whether or not they draft a QB, we'll know by Saturday night how the Rams feel about Bennett.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but…shouldn’t that be a given?
Hearing his comments over the years, I don't think McVay sees it as "a given."

Especially with rookies, I can recall McVay talk about some players being "overwhelmed" or "thinking too much" or "needing the game to slow down." By contrast, I've heard him praise some vets for having a "great presence about him" or "locked in" or "the game isn't too big for him."

To me, McVay seems to care a lot about "the look in the eye" of a player. My point being, McVay will sometimes criticize and sometimes praise the "general demeanor" of players.

Then again, it's the day before the draft.... so anything McVay or Snead says has to be taken with a huge grain of salt anyway...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Woof..
Threads about third-stringers... yeah, draft can't get here fast enough. lol

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not Bennett.
Its about you wanting attention starting a thread for the most insignificant or semi made up reason.
Your ego drives this. A thread for the sake of starting a thread.
There was no reason to start a thread and myself, do not care about some bothers, cousins, best friends pal across the street and who he thinks the Rams should draft in the first round.
None of it means anything so why waste brainpower thinking about it ?
And I like talking about the Rams.
But stuff like this is nauseating.
The Rams will draft soon and we will have something real to talk about.
Go Rams !
stripes lighten GIF

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
McVay is clearly saying that QB was distracted last year.

And the post is relevant.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you don’t think a QB who was taken in Round 4 missing his entire rookie year, dropping to QB3, and facing the possibility of being supplanted by a new draft pick is negative, I don’t know what to tell you. Certainly not a positive start to his career.
That’s 100% !!! If you don’t think Aiden O’connel was the better QB as well then there’s a question on who The Rams drafted.

We all make our own choices,but to think giving this young man a 2nd chance & grooming him the right way doesn’t make him better ?

IMO Stetsons life & Future is in a better place.You know it’s The NAY SAYERS that keep people(players) down.The Rams (Rambly) are a FRANCHISE (w/Mcvay) are leaders of MEN !! If you DON’T GET THAT your True Heart is NOT with this ORGANTION !!

I believe in Joesph Noteboom ,.Alaric Jackson has come a long way as a player.Whose to say what happens to Stetsons career.I see a lot of Ram Fans talk about drafting a LT.SEAN MCVAY used the work HELL when talking about Peter(Paul -lol).You wonder if his thinking about The Saints.

What I KNOW is Stetson has been a FIGHTER(winner) his whole LIFE.Things (drinking,partying)might have been given to him(enablers).He has always earned his way AGAINST ALL ODDS.
The Rams have set him up well to succeed & if he is that player they thought he was will only be a better version of himself.
WHAT - you don’t like Jimmy G. ?