Damning with faint praise?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I appreciate your posts and I understand the want to create conversation, but can we agree to try not to suggestively speculate on personal issues? I find it’s much easier to help someone up rather than use my hand to pin them to the ground.
I get that there can be a slippery slope here, but my point was more about the bizarre “praise” McVay conveyed here. Normally, you’d expect a player to be described as being “in good shape,” or something of that nature. This comment was just odd.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Its called starting a thread for the sake of starting a thread. And I can not wait until after the draft so we all have actual RAMS things to talk about.

The guy has personal issues, probably might not make the team.
Let him have his shot without piling on, maybe he will surprise.
We all live in glass houses.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Its called starting a thread for the sake of starting a thread. And I can not wait until after the draft so we all have actual RAMS things to talk about.

The guy has personal issues, probably might not make the team.
Let him have his shot without piling on, maybe he will surprise.
We all live in glass houses.
So, what you’re saying is, if someone starts more threads than I feel is necessary or warranted, I shouldn’t throw stones?

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
So, what you’re saying is, if someone starts more threads than I feel is necessary or warranted, I shouldn’t throw stones?
No, your comment was digging, scraping up a reason to start a thread and you came after a guy that is doing nothing more than sitting in class paying attention.
Seems like you are the one looking for attention.
Why don't we get off the kid ? I am not that high on him simply because he does not have a big arm.
Nothing to do with "personal issues" that I do not know a thing about.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
No, your comment was digging, scraping up a reason to start a thread and you came after a guy that is doing nothing more than sitting in class paying attention.
Seems like you are the one looking for attention.
Why don't we get off the kid ? I am not that high on him simply because he does not have a big arm.
Nothing to do with "personal issues" that I do not know a thing about.
When I see a thread that I don’t find interesting, I don’t respond.

It is interesting to me how some people feel compelled to defend Bennett. If someone takes a jab at Tutu for being small, at Noteboom for being fragile, or at Reeder for missing tackles, few will defend and many will pile on. Not sure why Bennett is off limits.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

View: https://x.com/sarahbarshop/status/1782874190443667537?s=46
So he’s not bloodshot or glassy-eyed, and he’s paying attention? Wow.

Feels like a stretch to me. I didn't interpret his comment about the look in his eyes as being literal or having to do with any substance abuse issues.

I took it more like when we say about an athlete "he's got a hungry look in his eyes". It being more that he's attentive, focused, determined, looks ready to go.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Feels like a stretch to me. I didn't interpret his comment about the look in his eyes as being literal or having to do with any substance abuse issues.

I took it more like when we say about an athlete "he's got a hungry look in his eyes". It being more that he's attentive, focused, determined, looks ready to go.
Yeah, but…shouldn’t that be a given?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I get that there can be a slippery slope here, but my point was more about the bizarre “praise” McVay conveyed here. Normally, you’d expect a player to be described as being “in good shape,” or something of that nature. This comment was just odd.
When was the last time a quarterback being in shape was a thing, Jamarcus Russell??

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Yeah, but…shouldn’t that be a given?
Yeah, but...it hasn't been a given with him up to this point so McVay mentioning those things after being asked about him is what we need to hear. They haven't even gotten to physical activity yet so McVay commenting on his physical condition would be premature.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So just paraphrasing here, it sounds like McVay was saying, "Well he didnt appear drunk or stoned, so he's got that going for him"

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So just paraphrasing here, it sounds like McVay was saying, "Well he didnt appear drunk or stoned, so he's got that going for him"

I wanted to give you a “cheers” but that feels inappropriate…LOL

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
No one knows why he missed the whole season for non football related reasons. And we may never know. But it looks like he'll get another shot at it. I think the best case scenario for him is 3rd string quarterback. He could be second string the first two games. We'll have to see how he does in camp and preseason. Honestly, I'm not counting on him to be any kind of significant contributor. I'm not sure he'll finish his 4 year contract. Watching him the preseason he did not look like a legit NFL backup.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Man I sure wish TF I hadn’t made A TON OF SHITTY DECISIONS when I was a kid so I could throw shade at this young man, but I got to sit this one out before somebody that knows me tells on me..….

Tano

Legend
Man I sure wish TF I hadn’t made A TON OF SHITTY DECISIONS when I was a kid so I could throw shade at this young man, but I got to sit this one out before somebody that knows me tells on me..….
Does that mean that I can throw shade at this guy since I never made any shitty decisions - oh wait nm

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Is this an issue of “throwing shade,” or is it about accountability and consequences?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
"let he who is without sin cast the first stone". We have all made mistakes in life and overcoming these mistakes is called growth.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not going to comment about Bennett's life choices. All I care about is can he contribute to the team? Is he good enough to be the main backup for the next 3 years? My opinion on that? I wouldn't count on it. And that has nothing to do with why he missed all of last season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see nothing wrong with the post or thread. It is an underwhelming comment by McVay. Doesn't mean anything necessarily, but it does seem like maybe McVay let something slip there.

Maybe it was innocent wording too. But nothing wrong kicking it around. We do, after all, argue about fucking everything here. :laugh2: