Critically Acclaimed Films That Actually Sucked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan4Life

Rookie
Birdman got a 91% tatometer on rotten tomatoes.

I picked the movie one night because of the great reviews.

The wife will never let me let me forget.

I have never seem such a terrible movie ever.
Birdman was one of those movies that are shit from the jump and you keep waiting for the good parts that all the “experts” said were in this dud and then all of a sudden theres 20 mins left and you at least want to see how things shake out.

so of course to be a full on turd…..Birdman has an ambiguous ending……

RamsFan4Life

Rookie
I have not read the Silmarillion (I have read all of the LotR books other than that.), but I know enough to know that Tolkien is pretty much the main authority on everything fantasy worldbuilding. Nobody else comes close.
Frank Herberts ghost begs to differ mi amigo.

to truly appreciate the depth of Herberts creation, one needs to read the prequels and sequels written by his son and Brian Anderson wrote from transcripts found after his death.

the future galaxy as described by Asimov in the Foundation and the Empire series were pretty awesome too

RamsFan4Life

Rookie
OK, THAT explains it. Now I understand.

I could not figure-out how you did not like a terrific movie like the Green Mile.

You saw the disappointing sequel ... The Green MULE.

I agree, it was not a very good film at all. Producers went on-the-cheap, and replaced Tom Hanks with a Mule. Bad casting choice.

Don't get me wrong, that Mule could act. I saw it in an off-Broadway production of Othello a few years later; and, man! ... that beast had some acting chops!
Green Mike was ok but like most every other book….especially those by King…..it paled in comparison to the books. Yes I said books. The release of them once every couple of weeks like dime store novels was genius.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

to truly appreciate the depth of Herberts creation, one needs to read the prequels and sequels written by his son and Brian Anderson wrote from transcripts found after his death.

the future galaxy as described by Asimov in the Foundation and the Empire series were pretty awesome too
I think Frank would be Sci Fi works building, but he did do a great job.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Green Mike was ok but like most every other book….especially those by King…..it paled in comparison to the books.
ElmgroveGnome mentioned the Green Mule.
You raise Green Mike. I am not familiar with the film. Perhaps a sequel to Magic Mike where Channing Tatum has a Venereal Disease.

I am talking about the Green Mile, which I thought was an excellent film.

Few other opinions.
The Green Berets was good. Fried Green Tomatoes was OK. Green Acres does not hold up but Arnold-the-Pig still brings a smile.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

The name sounds familiar. What books did he write?

Also, if anyone's into anthropomorphic animal stories, Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams is a work of art. Absolutely brilliant book with tons of worldbuilding. David Clement Davies also wrote an amazing and horribly sad series (Firebringer and The Sight, with anthropomorphic deer and wolves respectively). I cried so hard at those stories.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
American Beauty…. Pedophile movie

American Hustle…. Blah movie with All Star cast

Titanic….Rose killed Jack right? @Loyal

English Patient….Freaking long dream

That'd be a fearsome foursome, a nightmare train to watch.
I cannot top that; however I'll toss these on the trash pile.

Terms of Endearment...I like Jack Nicolson, but...

Kramer vs Kramer....This beat out Apocalypse Now for Academy Award

Ordinary People... Not a fan of Robert Redford- the director

The Horse Whisperer- Redford directs another snooze fest

Last edited:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Leaving Las Vegas and Lost in Translation for me.

To the poster who dissed Cool Hand Luke, ‘What we have here is … failure to communicate’.
Agreed on Lost in Translation. I'm pretty sure I walked out of that one.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
There Will Be Blood. Terrible movie. Actually, anything with Daniel Day Lewis. Stop trying so fucking hard dude.

Braveheart is so inaccurate its actually offensive.

Also, lots of great movies suggested here - you guys are weird.

Amazon Prime is currently filming a series based on the Silmarillion.

I've read my share of fantasy fiction. I could not get into 'The Wheel of Time'. So many of these fantasy books are the same. The price of power or the weak being able to wield great power only in moments of need, power cannot be controlled, etc...

The video game was some kickass shit though. I wasted a lot of time mastering it on line. I loved the way many Ter'angreal could counter others and if you learned to hot key, you could link the ones that compliment each other, like key down for electricity/let off for fireball. I eventually became a clan leader, but I ruined it when I was caught flirting with a fellow members girlfriend on a chat. Lol the whole clan hated me after that. I lived in PA and she lived in Kentucky. As if anything would have happened. I guess by then the game was running its course for me.

I do agree about Tolkien's writing. His books were hard to read.

I loved 'There Will be Blood'. It had so many intricacies. Daniel Plainview loathed Paul Sunday and Sunday hate Plainview, because they were one in the same. Both were persuasive talkers that made a living off of manipulating people and swindling them out of their money. Neither was what they professed to be. It was like an evil twisted dance.

I like Daniel Day-Louis films. He's a great actor and his sometimes over the top interpretations of period characters helps drive the point and wasn't as far off from reality as some may think. One of my alk time favorite movies of his though, is 'The Last of the Mohecans'

I must disagree about Daniel Day Lewis, he's an excellent actor imo.

On the other hand, I couldn't agree more about Braveheart. While the movie was very well acted and entertaining, for historical purposes it was a ridiculous mess. For the way they treated Robert the Bruce, I'm surprised the movie wasn't banned in Scotland. When I read that Randall Wallace wrote the film, thought he must have been somehow related to William Wallace, although apparently not. I believe the character the beautiful Sophie Marceau played, Princess Isabella, was only about 3 years old and still a child in France, not getting banged by Wallace in a medieval tent after warning him of Longshanks' betrayals. William Wallace was a big Man, something like 6'5", Mel Gibson is closer to 5'9" tall, Wallace's sword was damn near as long as Gibson is tall, at 5'4". So much was historically off in this film, they made a mockery of even the phrase 'artistic license'. Imagining Gibson as William Wallace is a bit like imagining Danny DeVito as a twin to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I don’t know @ScotsRam Daniel Day Lewis in ‘Last of the Mochicans’ was a masterpiece! Epic scenes, locations, music scores, fight scenes, historically it’s pretty accurate for a Hollywood film. Maybe I’m just a DDL fan from that and Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood is a different type of moving and acting, it’s dry. Something I’d imagine people were more like at that time. Idk.

As far as Braveheart I was crushed when I found out it’s very inaccurate same as Kingdom of Heaven historically. It’s entertaining asf and obviously wasn’t meant to be a bio picture. It seems that more pictures and series are getting on the train as far as historical accuracy is concerned.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Maybe my tastes are shallow and not intellectual enough. But it sure seems like a lot of critically acclaimed movies are boring to me. I also don't go by reviews from people on Amazon or Netflix. They all want to be the next Siskel and Ebert. "The acting was uninspiring. The dialogue was contrived. The screen play was inadequate". Fuck that. Is it a fun movie to watch? If so I'll watch it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and joaquin put on the best performance I've ever seen.
He's a hell of an actor no doubt. But I agree that the Joker was shit. I don't pay to see a movie so I can be beaten over the head by some ham fisted writer's view of the "evils" of society. I think I lasted maybe 15 minutes before I abandoned the wife on that one.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He's a hell of an actor no doubt. But I agree that the Joker was shit. I don't pay to see a movie so I can be beaten over the head by some ham fisted writer's view of the "evils" of society. I think I lasted maybe 15 minutes before I abandoned the wife on that one.
understandable, I know its not everyones cup of tea. As I tell my fiance constantly(annoyingly constantly) Agree to disagree. :cheers2:

Tano

Legend

Also, if anyone's into anthropomorphic animal stories, Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams is a work of art. Absolutely brilliant book with tons of worldbuilding. David Clement Davies also wrote an amazing and horribly sad series (Firebringer and The Sight, with anthropomorphic deer and wolves respectively). I cried so hard at those stories.
You must not be into Sci Fi that much because his books were the definition of Sci Fi

Frank Herbert wrote the Dune books.

And with that in mind - I really want to watch the new Dune movie.

As to Tailchaser's Song, I have been so tempted to buy that book so many times.

I loved Tad Williams Memory Sorrow and Thorn Series and the Otherland series wasn't too bad (not nearly as good as Memory Sorrow and Thorn though).

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Only thing worse than "A star is born" is the song "shallow".

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure its been mentioned but the Netflix superfilm "The Irishman" was awful

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Another one - Boyhood by Richard Linklater (who I generally like). Everybody raved because it was filmed over a number of years with the same actor and you could see him grow up as the movie progressed.

There are actually 10s of millions of people who see a similar phenomenon in their real life. They're called "parents."

RamsFan4Life

Rookie

Dune….new attempt at capturing the insanely huge Dune universe out soon.

RamsFan4Life

Rookie
You must not be into Sci Fi that much because his books were the definition of Sci Fi

Frank Herbert wrote the Dune books.

And with that in mind - I really want to watch the new Dune movie.

As to Tailchaser's Song, I have been so tempted to buy that book so many times.

I loved Tad Williams Memory Sorrow and Thorn Series and the Otherland series wasn't too bad (not nearly as good as Memory Sorrow and Thorn though).
I wish I was…..

trailer I saw looked like parts were “woke” Dune so I am less optimistic

graphically it looks breathtaking

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
American Beauty…. Pedophile movie

American Hustle…. Blah movie with All Star cast

Titanic….Rose killed Jack right? @Loyal

English Patient….Freaking long dream
Hated English Patient...not one likable character to pull for

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why the hate for Joker? I think its a masterpiece,
I enjoyed Joaquin's performance...but the character was too inconsistent for me...going from completely backward socially to manipulating detectives like a sophisticated genius....