Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it’s just hard in an epidemic where the problem is getting worse while other countries are getting it under control
Which again isnt true, but repeating that false narrative hasnt stopped you before, so I dont see it happening any time soon.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No, it’s not poignant, the analogy is false. if an employee purposely cooked chicken to 100 degrees and served it, they would face termination and potentially worse. Would the analogy be poignant if it was compared to drunk driving?
Wearing or not wearing a mask is not a legality issue as it pertains to the user, but for the establishment who reserves the right to not allow patronage to those refusing.
Surely someone in the legal field can understand the distinction and how vastly opposing the two ideas are. Not similar

Not true.

People purposefully coughing or spitting on people are being charged with aggravated assault and for those who do it to police are seeing charges of aggravated assault against a police officer.

It doesn’t matter if the person believed COVID was a hoax and they were just preying on a person’s fears.

Moreover, once mandatory mask wearing is the law, a person resisting can be cited or be subject to arrest.

So, it’s actually much worse than if someone decided to grossly undercook chicken.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not true.

People purposefully coughing or spitting on people are being charged with aggravated assault and for those who do it to police are seeing charges of aggravated assault against a police officer.

It doesn’t matter if the person believed COVID was a hoax and they were just preying on a person’s fears.

Moreover, once mandatory mask wearing is the law, a person resisting can be cited or be subject to arrest.

So, it’s actually much worse than if someone decided to grossly undercook chicken.
Wow, this wins the Straw Man award for sure.
Good grief

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
@Mojo Ram

Spot on! Media has free fallen in the credibility department. When being profitable became the only driving force for their "reporting". It’s a shame.

Let me ask you this question Neil in all due respect — when has the media not been driven by profit? Better yet when has the media not been driven by profit and political influence?

Are you suggesting there was a time in American history or prior that there was pure and objective reporting? I am talking about publishing, broadcasting, and now the internet.

Check out dudes like Horace Greeley or William Randolph Hearst. I mean are you kidding me?

I find it amusing that there’s all this crying and weeping wah wah about the unfair or biased media or it being non-credible — It’s hilarious. The best is when someone complains that certain outlets have no credibility while promoting another outlet that more suits their own personal views.

I want to see this so-called utopian media source that has 100% credibility with zero designs on making a buck. Please, I’m waiting....

Why not understand that the nature of any report written by a human has to take a POV — it’s the baked in the whole concept of reporting and this general idea of “media.”

Hilarious

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For those still interested I felt it was time to share my thoughts on this subject again....... This past weekend all I heard in the national news makes it sound like we are in a state of COVID-19 crisis situation here where I live in Florida.

Florida, a state ranked #3 in USA population with a supersized large % of older population like me. I still do not know anyone who has contracted COVID-19 let alone who has died from it. Yes I am retired, but I am not hunkered down at home. I go about NWFL as I have for years, but my wife is the VP of a bank & she had advised me not one of her many co-employees have it either nor know of none of their family have it either.

One more thing is our surrounding Hospitals are not near capacity or full. Finally, schools & all my grandkids are set to start the week beginning of August 10th, 2020 or later that week. My home has been full of many of my grandkids from all over Florida since school let out in early May & everyone is just fine.

Fact is there are 8 states that have a much higher death toll than Florida....New York has over 32,000 deaths, New Jersey has over 13,000 deaths, Mass. has over 8,000 deaths & (wait for it) Florida has had 3,700 hundred deaths. Just saying .........:hush:

bluecoconuts

Legend
The past week NYC and NY state have combined for about 5,000 cases and Florida has 67,000 cases.

I don’t know why you’re trying to pat yourself on the back over the fact your state, which just recently broke the record for the amount of cases in a single day, is taking their beating now and not at the very beginning like NYC and a few others. Still a beating, and so far it’s looking to be a worse beating.

I honestly don’t see the point in a post like that. Is the suggestion that it doesn’t exist because it’s not in your immediate vicinity? Or that it’s overblown?

I’m just saying, I’m getting really pissed that I’m likely going to be able to quote a bunch of posts in this damn thread when football ends up getting cancelled and everyone is bitching about it.

Yes a bunch of us didn’t take is seriously. Myself included, I’m right there page damn one. Then things changed. We went through all this and now we’re fumbling in the redzone, and for what?

Edit, I do want to point out, while I’m obviously calling out a a general vibe, I’m mostly just dumbfounded by the reasoning here. Even if I don’t think I’m or my friends are at a major risk, and I don’t, I still play the game because that’s literally the entire point of society, the social contract. The idea that people have an attitude of basically “fuck em, I don’t care” in regards to literally everyone else in their life, just doesn’t mesh in my head.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The past week NYC and NY state have combined for about 5,000 cases and Florida has 67,000 cases.
Which really makes me shake my head.
According to covidtracking.com, from Monday June 29 thru Sunday July 5, Florida had 318,302 new tests (roughly 45k per day). And in that same time frame they went from 146,341 cases to 200,111. Which is 53,770 new cases. Conversely, and to your point, NY state went from 392,930 on June 29 to 397,131 July 5th. Thats only 4,201 new cases, 600 per day.
Now my sample size is pretty small, but I have a few close friends who live in Fla, and all I've heard from them is how things haven't changed much in the last few weeks, months even. They are doing what they did before. And its surprising that the numbers are spoking since it seems nothing has changed. Of course they each do admit that there are quite a bit more out of towners in the area.
Conversely, in NYC, I'm astonished that the numbers havent exploded again with all the exposure from the Floyd protests. Literally hundreds of thousands of people in marches, riots and funeral services (I am making no judgement or political stance on that) and no social distancing being possible in those scenarios. And yet the NYC numbers have fallen off a cliff.
Just seems to me there is something else going on, maybe it spreads in ways we havent realized. I dont know.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

bluecoconuts

Legend
Which really makes me shake my head.
According to covidtracking.com, from Monday June 29 thru Sunday July 5, Florida had 318,302 new tests (roughly 45k per day). And in that same time frame they went from 146,341 cases to 200,111. Which is 53,770 new cases. Conversely, and to your point, NY state went from 392,930 on June 29 to 397,131 July 5th. Thats only 4,201 new cases, 600 per day.
Now my sample size is pretty small, but I have a few close friends who live in Fla, and all I've heard from them is how things haven't changed much in the last few weeks, months even. They are doing what they did before. And its surprising that the numbers are spoking since it seems nothing has changed. Of course they each do admit that there are quite a bit more out of towners in the area.
Conversely, in NYC, I'm astonished that the numbers havent exploded again with all the exposure from the Floyd protests. Literally hundreds of thousands of people in marches, riots and funeral services (I am making no judgement or political stance on that) and no social distancing being possible in those scenarios. And yet the NYC numbers have fallen off a cliff.
Just seems to me there is something else going on, maybe it spreads in ways we havent realized. I dont know.

Doesn't really surprise me, as states began to reopen some required masks, and had more people comply, and those states are seeing lower transmission rates now. Meanwhile we all saw stories of people in various states flocking to the beaches or the bars with nobody wearing a mask, and suddenly the average age is going down, the transmission rates are higher, and the infection is spreading.

While some people are still doing the right thing, the fact is many just aren't, and that is causing the issue. If you look around at other countries who have significantly lowered the amount of people still getting infected (vs the United States which is spiking again). their mask usage and social distancing is up.

America has basically gone it's entire existence going "Fuck you, we do what we want" to the rest of the world, and most of the time it works out great. Turns out this ain't one of those times.

It's not a difficult concept. They suck, they're hot, I hate wearing PPE too. I hated it when I was in the service, I hated it when I was doing security work, I hated it when I was a shooting instructor, I hated wearing it during school labs, I hate wearing it in labs right now, I hate having to constantly change out gloves and other PPE as I move around from task to task at work and then go outside and wear more, it sucks, I sweat, I take off my first pair of gloves after only 20 minutes and sweat literally dumps out (I legitimately have to do it out side or over a sink) and that makes putting on a new pair of gloves into a goddamn nightmare.

But I do it. Because the data isn't that hard to understand, and it's long been apparent this isn't one of those "Fuck you we do what we want." situations.

The patriot in me gets unreasonably angry over this topic, so I try to limit my posting here and probably am going to have to take a breather from returning for a while, so while I'm trying not to come across as angry, I figure it probably comes in. Right now America is telling the world two things. We're telling our allies we're dumb as shit, and our enemies that the one of the legitimately easiest ways they could wage biological warfare is how you can absolutely cripple our country. Showcasing vulnerabilities like that is a big deal, akin to reporters giving away troop movement details and weapon capabilities while trying to cover a war, which was an issue in Iraq and Afghanistan, which the enemy used to evade US movement and ambush units.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me ask you this question Neil in all due respect — when has the media not been driven by profit? Better yet when has the media not been driven by profit and political influence?

Are you suggesting there was a time in American history or prior that there was pure and objective reporting? I am talking about publishing, broadcasting, and now the internet.

Check out dudes like Horace Greeley or William Randolph Hearst. I mean are you kidding me?

I find it amusing that there’s all this crying and weeping wah wah about the unfair or biased media or it being non-credible — It’s hilarious. The best is when someone complains that certain outlets have no credibility while promoting another outlet that more suits their own personal views.

I want to see this so-called utopian media source that has 100% credibility with zero designs on making a buck. Please, I’m waiting....

Why not understand that the nature of any report written by a human has to take a POV — it’s the baked in the whole concept of reporting and this general idea of “media.”

Hilarious

Referencing SWA’s post to the changes in media with the advent of the internet and social media platforms. "News people" were definitely more diligent with facts and how they report them. Now it’s the rush to get a story out with little to no fact checking!

Back to your WAH WAH response, don’t look me in with one side or the other. You won’t find me defending either media political side. They are all slanted to there ideology. That’s why I posted the JP Sears video...it’s spot on about how each side sees the other.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The patriot in me gets unreasonably angry over this topic, so I try to limit my posting here and probably am going to have to take a breather from returning for a while, so while I'm trying not to come across as angry
I think you're being unreasonably angry because you are dead set on the belief that the masks are the culprit. And the patriot in me defends our country, and looks a bit deeper than what the media spin is creating. There is no comparison to our beloved country, however if one chooses to engage in that I recommend looking at the death rate %, where we are much lower than many for which are represented as being more compliant. As always, I thank you for your service to our country, and mean no disrespect of it.
The tragedy in the USA boils down to 2 major issues,
1. The inability to control the wildfire that was the New York City proper
2. The utter disgrace of how elders were returned to long term care facilities/nursing homes/assisted living centers
That wasnt Utah's fault, or Alaska, Idaho etc...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
― George Orwell
mo.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think you're being unreasonably angry because you are dead set on the belief that the masks are the culprit. And the patriot in me defends our country, and looks a bit deeper than what the media spin is creating. There is no comparison to our beloved country, however if one chooses to engage in that I recommend looking at the death rate %, where we are much lower than many for which are represented as being more compliant. As always, I thank you for your service to our country, and mean no disrespect of it.
The tragedy in the USA boils down to 2 major issues,
1. The inability to control the wildfire that was the New York City proper
2. The utter disgrace of how elders were returned to long term care facilities/nursing homes/assisted living centers
That wasnt Utah's fault, or Alaska, Idaho etc...

I'm never dead set on anything, but if you have contradictory data that supports your evidence, please show me. Speaking of being dead set, are you willing to change your mind?

The United States currently leads the world in death rate over the last 7 days.

My service to this country means nothing in this sense, don't feel like you can't say something to me because I served, service members don't need to be, and shouldn't be, deified, it's fine.

Blaming it all on NYC makes absolutely no sense, and serves zero purpose right now. It does not matter where the virus came from, it matters what is happening right now. The virus isn't spreading in these other cities because some New Yorkers are running around down there coughing. They're spreading because people are being foolish. UW is having an outbreak in Greek Row, over 120 students in the last few days, because they decided to throw parties the other week. Arizona is having an outbreak because they opened their bars and people flocked to them. Florida is having an outbreak because people packed beaches. The virus is spreading because people are not doing the right thing. It is not some great mystery.

This country has a long history of abandoning people in need, our elders, our children, our veterans, it's a pretty common practice. Maybe that says something.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I don’t know why you’re trying to pat yourself on the back over the fact your state, which just recently broke the record for the amount of cases in a single day, is taking their beating now and not at the very beginning like NYC and a few others. Still a beating, and so far it’s looking to be a worse beating.

I honestly don’t see the point in a post like that. Is the suggestion that it doesn’t exist because it’s not in your immediate vicinity? Or that it’s overblown?

I’m just saying, I’m getting really pissed that I’m likely going to be able to quote a bunch of posts in this damn thread when football ends up getting cancelled and everyone is bitching about it.

Yes a bunch of us didn’t take is seriously. Myself included, I’m right there page damn one. Then things changed. We went through all this and now we’re fumbling in the redzone, and for what?

Edit, I do want to point out, while I’m obviously calling out a a general vibe, I’m mostly just dumbfounded by the reasoning here. Even if I don’t think I’m or my friends are at a major risk, and I don’t, I still play the game because that’s literally the entire point of society, the social contract. The idea that people have an attitude of basically “fuck em, I don’t care” in regards to literally everyone else in their life, just doesn’t mesh in my head.
The reason for my post & comments are very clear sorry you missed the point. It was a true status report from my perspective that flys in the face of national new press coverages these past few weeks in Florida.

Yes reported tested cases are up & they have been up for a while & I would sure expect that from a state that draws so many visitors from all over the US when summer is in full-blown status. You said I suggested Coivd19 did not exist. Not true I conveyed that we had seen very little in our county population. Why would that triggered you as it did into getting pissed. You might think that would make you happy for us in our part of the state. Reference your back patting comment:unsure:.........so thats what came into your head.

Then you mention that we here in Florida are getting a beating......& that more beatings are coming.....might, its possible, I not sure we are on the same page on this "beatings" word. Obviously there are parts of the state that are directing much more heavy restrictive measures to use on the local population to ensure they are getting their beatings on a regular basis but in our region I assure you there are no such beatings taking place.

Most all I know are taking the COVID-19 serious. I do & most do too. We have been taking measures to try to keep any major spikes from hitting all at one time period. Its worked rather well up till this point in time. If you are thinking we are doing otherwise you would be incorrect. I would prefer to keep my attention directed on the number of tragic death totals not just on the reported cases.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
The reason for my post & comments are very clear sorry you missed the point. It was a true status report from my perspective that flys in the face of national new press coverages these past few weeks in Florida.

Yes reported tested cases are up & they have been up for a while & I would sure expect that from a state that draws so many visitors from all over the US when summer is in full-blown status. You said I suggested Coivd19 did not exist. Not true I conveyed that we had seen very little in our county population. Why would that triggered you as it did into getting pissed. You might think that would make you happy for us in our part of the state. Reference your back patting comment:unsure:.........so thats what came into your head.

Then you mention that we here in Florida are getting a beating......& that more beatings are coming.....might, its possible, I not sure we are on the same page on this "beatings" word. Obviously there are parts of the state that are directing much more heavy restrictive measures to use on the local population to ensure they are getting their beatings on a regular basis but in our region I assure you there are no such beatings taking place.

Most all I know are taking the COVID-19 serious. I do & most do too. We have been taking measures to try to keep any major spikes from hitting all at one time period. Its worked rather well up till this point in time. If you are thinking we are doing otherwise you would be incorrect. I would prefer to keep my attention directed on the number of tragic death totals not just on the reported cases.

How is that a true status report? You posting your limited perspective is nice and all, but that is not a true status report in any way. Just because your limited perspective doesn't match what is going on elsewhere doesn't mean what is going on elsewhere isn't a big deal.

Talking about how New York has so many more because they were hit really hard in the beginning serves what purpose exactly? What is the point of sugar coating what is happening right now? What is the point of downplaying the seriousness of this all? That's what your post is doing, mind you, it's attempting to sugar coat it. What's happening in Florida and elsewhere is not a good thing, people are suffering, people are dying, the worse the problem is the worse the fallout will be, the longer it'll take for things to get back to normal, and the worse it'll be for our country and our economy, so what is the reasoning for acting like everything is rosy and peachy because your neck of the woods is clean?

I would certainly say that having the highest number of confirmed cases in a single day is taking a beating as well, how else would you characterize 67,000 cases in the past 7 days? Florida has almost 15,000 more cases than the second most state in the week, sounds like a beating. If a team loses by the widest margin on Sunday and it's not even close, you tend to say that team took a beating.

If you want to act like it's all sunshine rainbows and unicorn farts, nothing is stopping you, but don't be surprised when people point out that isn't reality. Distracting ourselves from the problem doesn't get rid of the problem, it's why we're in this mess in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.