Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Curious where some of you posters get your news and information?

What sources, if any, do you trust?
I can't speak for anyone here, but most people get their news from people they know will tell them what they like hearing.

Most of the people around me get their news from FB algorithms designed to feed their preferred biases, from memes that just "feel true" to them and YouTube channels carefully culled of any contradictory points of view.

People typically choose comfort over truth. Irrational fear of one thing and then an irrational lack of concern for the next..... It's really quite ridiculous.

We are easy beasts to herd.

Personally, I like NPR and the BBC the most. Really most non-cable news networks are very reliable.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Some very strong opinions in here. It begs the question where people get the news which forms the basis of their opinions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

The AP wire for noteworthy world events. If I want to know which politician was found not wearing a mask somewhere, then basically anyone else will do.

Believe it or not, Twitter is a good source for breaking news. It can at least be tailored to provide only the sources that you want to hear from, while filtering out all the other completely and utterly nonsensical opinions that are soon to follow.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Re-opening was so poorly defined and executed in many ways...and dumbasses started humping each other on beaches in great numbers, among other things.

Take Florida man, for example...
I just dropped my daughter off at college and decided to drive up to Charleston, SC where there is a Bowen Island. My last name is Bowen so...... but right next to that island is Folly Beach. So we drove over there to see it and it was PACKED. I mean spring break packed, no where to park anywhere. $40 lots slam full. Seems to be a really neat beach but damn.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some very strong opinions in here. It begs the question where people get the news which forms the basis of their opinions.
I think everyone already has their own opinions. If it’s confirmation bias we need, there are plenty of avenues to pursue to get it. That’s all anyone ever does anyway.

“Here’s a link that says....“

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think everyone already has their own opinions. If it’s confirmation bias we need, there are plenty of avenues to pursue to get it. That’s all anyone ever does anyway.

“Here’s a link that says....“
Ugh.

Well said.

Which begs the question... is it possible for any of us to change our minds? On anything? Ever? Is it possible for us to have access to NEW information which changes our perspective? Or is it all impossible because all our information is pre-filtered through our pre-existing confirmation bias?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
@OC--LeftCoast

Got an honest question for you, and as you said to me, I’ll just rely on your integrity in answering it.

You have stated that you deeply distrust both forms of news: the Fox News side, and also the MSM side.

Yet from the tone of your posts, I get the impression that you would *probably* agree with the vast majority of opinions expressed on Fox News. Is this accurate or inaccurate?

Is my impression wrong? Am I missing the boat here? Honest question, not trying to play games.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
@OC--LeftCoast

Got an honest question for you, and as you said to me, I’ll just rely on your integrity in answering it.

You have stated that you deeply distrust both forms of news: the Fox News side, and also the MSM side.

Yet from the tone of your posts, I get the impression that you would *probably* agree with the vast majority of opinions expressed on Fox News. Is this accurate or inaccurate?

Is my impression wrong? Am I missing the boat here? Honest question, not trying to play games.

Over CNN & MSNBC? —Evening shows?

To answer your question, yeah I’d definitely say that’s accurate

I utterly despise the MSNBC lineup, Chris Matthews was borderline but of course they fired him over stupid shit, Kornacky... I like the kid

CNN, Stelter, Lemon sorry, don’t like them, Cooper isn’t horrible, Fredo? Every time I want to like him he starts talking lunatic shit

Fox, Sorry but I agree with at least half of what Hannity, TC, the older blonde bimbo and the younger one put out, as conforming to my values.

look I’m not a Liberal, I’m not a Democrat supporter, but I don’t have to hate them, I’ll stop at despise :biggrin:

At the end of the day they form the “unholy trio” of cable news, it’s almost entertainment, not sure any are meant to believed in

You seem to be on a crusade to save us from our iniquities, On the other hand, I have zero interests in transforming others from their beliefs.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Over CNN & MSNBC? —Evening shows?

To answer your question, yeah I’d definitely say that’s accurate

I utterly despise the MSNBC lineup, Chris Matthews was borderline but of course they fired him over stupid shit, Kornacky... I like the kid

CNN, Stelter, Lemon sorry, don’t like them, Cooper isn’t horrible, Fredo? Every time I want to like him he starts talking lunatic shit

Fox, Sorry but I agree with at least half of what Hannity, TC, the older blonde bimbo and the younger one put out, as conforming to my values.

look I’m not a Liberal, I’m not a Democrat supporter, but I don’t have to hate them, I’ll stop at despise :biggrin:

At the end of the day they form the “unholy trio” of cable news, it’s almost entertainment, not sure any are meant to believed in

You seem to be on a crusade to save us from our iniquities, On the other hand, I have zero interests in transforming others from their values.
Well, I think your post was fair enough until the last sentence.

I have no interest in challenging anyone's "values." I just get exasperated that we Americans are so far apart on finding common ground on what "reality" is.

For example: (A.) Either masks are effective in slowing the spread of the virus, or they're not. (B.) Either HCQ is effective in reducing Covid symptoms, or it's not.

I'll acknowledge both questions are complicated, and both questions legitimately have a lot of grey area in between.

But they are not questions about values-- or at least they sure as heck SHOULDN"T be. They're just questions about determining objective reality. I just wish we Americans were more capable of discussing these topics without the "confirmation bias of the political lens" dominating the discussion.

Cheers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I pool info from multiple sources including all the big name news and formulate my own opinion. There are very few sources worth your trust including NPR/BBC/PBS/name any other source like it. They all have their biases.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well, I think your post was fair enough until the last sentence.

I have no interest in challenging anyone's "values." I just get exasperated that we Americans are so far apart on finding common ground on what "reality" is.

For example: (A.) Either masks are effective in slowing the spread of the virus, or they're not. (B.) Either HCQ is effective in reducing Covid symptoms, or it's not.

I'll acknowledge both questions are complicated, and both questions legitimately have a lot of grey area in between.

But they are not questions about values-- or at least they sure as heck SHOULDN"T be. They're just questions about determining objective reality. I just wish we Americans were more capable of discussing these topics without the "confirmation bias of the political lens" dominating the discussion.

Cheers.
Agreed values was a poor choice of word, I edited it to “beliefs”

Probably should have deleted the entire paragraph, it literally served no purpose

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
CNN is hiring...
This wussification thingy has slowly worn me down over the past 12 years or so o_O

” they got you under control
now you do what they tell you
got you under control
now you do what they told you
they got you under control
now you do what they told you”

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This wussification thingy has slowly worn me down over the past 12 years or so o_O

”Now they got you under control
got to do what they tell you
got you under control
got to do what they told you
they got you under control
got to do what they told you”

Lol, those Rage Against the Machine lyrics just came to my head, I’m weird
You're not done. Quote the rest of the chorus.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can't speak for anyone here, but most people get their news from people they know will tell them what they like hearing.

Most of the people around me get their news from FB algorithms designed to feed their preferred biases, from memes that just "feel true" to them and YouTube channels carefully culled of any contradictory points of view.

People typically choose comfort over truth. Irrational fear of one thing and then an irrational lack of concern for the next..... It's really quite ridiculous.

We are easy beasts to herd.

Personally, I like NPR and the BBC the most. Really most non-cable news networks are very reliable.

If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair. - C.S. Lewis

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well aware of the lyrics, which I believe are a little lame, mid 90’s tune, stir debate declined

But the chorus is awesome

‘the hell made you our lyrical hall monitor? :biggrin::D:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.