Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well, I can't mind read, but I'm pretty sure the intent in 1996 was to allow platforms to exist where all viewpoints could be heard without the platform being held liable. The probably hadn't envisioned a Twitter or Facebook back then that would hold a dominant market position and would aggressively censor some points of view, based on politics ... although points of view from others that are far more inflammatory than "I'm a doctor and successfully treated Covid with HCQ" are perfectly fine with said platforms. In fact, I feel pretty confident in saying they didn't envision that when they envisioned a free and open internet.

That was an attempt at humor, and obviously a poor one ... as in forcing you to read the entirety of a page regarding subject matter eligibility in patent law would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

If you don't get it, try being more cynical. ;)

You'll get it in almost no time after that.

It doesn't show zero, but it shows they are significantly lower and have declined to a fraction of what they were at the peak ... this in spite of a larger number of reported infections (which, in turn, probably has a lot to do with increased testing).

It's also fair to observe that as the number of deaths has declined so dramatically from its peak, the emphasis in reporting has shifted to number of total cases.

With regards to your last paragraph that ain’t gonna sit well with the msm narrative... shut down must last thru Fall (at all costs) I’m quite sure we heave a healthy heaping dose of spinning coming our way the next couple of months

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
With regards to your last paragraph that ain’t gonna sit well with the msm narrative... shut down must last thru Fall (at all costs) I’m quite sure we heave a healthy heaping dose of spinning coming our way the next couple of months

You and I both probably know the date it's going to end, give or take a few days.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well, I can't mind read, but I'm pretty sure the intent in 1996 was to allow platforms to exist where all viewpoints could be heard without the platform being held liable. The probably hadn't envisioned a Twitter or Facebook back then that would hold a dominant market position and would aggressively censor some points of view, based on politics ... although points of view from others that are far more inflammatory than "I'm a doctor and successfully treated Covid with HCQ" are perfectly fine with said platforms. In fact, I feel pretty confident in saying they didn't envision that when they envisioned a free and open internet.

You don’t have to mind read - the actual authors of the bill are still alive and well and have been asked the question a bunch of times. Google ... er ... Bing it.

Unlike trying to determine the intentions of - say - the bill of rights, Congress keeps detailed legislative notes, debate transcripts, and the like - mostly to stop lawyers and judges from doing exactly what you are talking about - interpreting things into a law that aren’t there.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You and I both probably know the date it's going to end, give or take a few days.

We are actually all in on it. No one has really died - they all just went to Canada. And we would have gotten away with it too if weren’t for you meddling kids.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
A few things here.

1. You gave 3 links that all point to the same health care policy consultant's letter to an editor, and a doctor in India's opinion. And even they don't dismiss the drug's efficacy. They just don't approve of the method used to reach their conclusion. Hardly the scathing rebuke CNN says it provided. Talk about not injecting politics into a debate over the matter. lol. Hyperbole at its finest on their part.

2. You seem rather passionate about the RDBPC method of study when it comes to this and all medical trials. Rightfully so. But what you and the other "scathing rebukers" failed to mention is that the Henry Ford study was their first step in identifying the efficacy of HCQ treatment. They admitted that their study results should be interpreted with some caution, should not be applied to patients treated outside of hospital settings and required further confirmation in prospective, randomized controlled trials.. It says as much right there in their peer review submission. Also, They're. Doing. Exactly. That. They're conducting that RDBPC right now. [https://www.henryford.com/whip-covid-19]. And yet, before they can complete their second study, people (MSM) are rushing out to completely discredit their findings. Well, that one guy and that other guy are, but the MSM is making it out to be an avalanche of rebukers.

3. Why isn't their website being taken down? They're making the same exact claims those 'frontline doctors' made. That's "dangerous information" according to big tech. Can't have people running around saying HCQ can save lives. Let me tell you why their website remains. Because the Henry Ford doctors aren't gathered in a presser with a Government building backdrop and people aren't spreading their video across multiple social media platforms with the same backdrop. Somebody had to put out that fire, and quick. So they did. It was their (big tech's) determination that it was dangerous information for us to have (their words). Name me one doctor at FB, Twitter or Google who conducted the studies you mentioned before they silenced those people. Just one.

Shouldn't we make our choice based on the objective data of science, and not because of our political beliefs?

You let me know when big tech follows this advice. Because as of right now, they're determining what information we can even have before we follow your preferred method of choice-making. And it sure as fuck was political on their part. Lastly, I can't take you seriously about keeping politics out of it after saying "Faux News" multiple times. How about we all just remain free to determine what we can take in as information and spit out as opinion without big tech making that decision for us.
Belatedly, a few things about your few things.

1. I actually thought the “scathing rebuke” was fairly accurate. Yes, the letters were couched in the genteel conventions of scholarly discourse. However, IMHO there was a VERY salty undertone throughout both letters. The biggest dig of all was in the conclusion of the letter from Atkinson:
“As a result of the flaws in the analysis the conclusions reached in Arshad 2020 are invalid.“
BOOM! That’s the scientist’s equivalent of Dikembe Mutimbo with a thunderous rejection of a dunk attempt, then wagging his finger and saying “Not in my house!”
“Your study is invalid” is some next-level shit.

2.THANK YOU for acknowledging and respecting my insistence on following RDBPC studies. Sheesh, this thread is supposed to be a DIALOGUE, not a shouting match. You are one of the very few posters in this debate who actually seems capable of taking in and digesting info that might be challenging to your POV.

Yeah, we’ll see what happens with the Ford RDBPC study. But as Giroir mentioned, on the RDBPC scoreboard, HCQ is losing 5-0. (That’s 35-0 for us football fans).
As for Zinc? Cripes. Okay. Haven’t gotten enough into the weeds to respond to that.

3. Why was the “Frontline Doctors” video removed? In my view, it’s simple.
Dr. Immanuel repeatedly said, “You don’t have to wear masks! We have a cure!”

IMHO that is DANGEROUS misinformation.

We all know that free speech is protected under most circumstances. But it is illegal to “falsely yell “Fire!” in a crowded theater.”

IMHO the Immanuel (Demon Jizz Lady) video was spreading dangerous misinformation to the 14 million viewers who watched it. (Please assume for the sake of argument that masks are essential for protecting people. I know the scientific data regarding modes of transmission is quite complicated and in many ways ambiguous, and I know you’ve looked into it a lot).

IMHO the Ford people and Immanuel were saying very different things.

Ford scientists: “We’ve conducted studies which give us hope that HCQ could be a promising treatment.”

Immanuel: “No need to wear masks because we have a cure!”
Yes, IMHO that hits the threshold of yelling “fire” in a crowded theater: misinformation that is dangerous.

Lastly, regarding “Faux News.” What can I say, it’s quite obvious where many of us stand on things. I hate it that ppl in this thread so cavalierly crap upon the “Mainstream Media” (or MSM, as many call it). Yeah, I think Faux News is often exactly that. Straight out lies are somewhat rare, but the GLARING omission of essential information (calling Covid a hoax, or minimizing the risks of reopening, etc. etc.) is standard operating procedure. As is the deliberate attempt to mislead.

So yeah, that’s a rabbit hole we all want to avoid, but suffice it to say that with the constant trashing of the MSM that goes on here, a little pushback against the propaganda known as Faux News seems only fair. Or, “Fair and Balanced”, as they laughably say.

Sorry to end on a touchy subject. I keep meaning to exit this thread, and hope I do some day. In the meantime, -X-, I again appreciate your attempts to keep things civil and fair. Cheers.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Belatedly, a few things about your few things.

1. I actually thought the “scathing rebuke” was fairly accurate. Yes, the letters were couched in the genteel conventions of scholarly discourse. However, IMHO there was a VERY salty undertone throughout both letters. The biggest dig of all was in the conclusion of the letter from Atkinson:
“As a result of the flaws in the analysis the conclusions reached in Arshad 2020 are invalid.“
BOOM! That’s the scientist’s equivalent of Dikembe Mutimbo with a thunderous rejection of a dunk attempt, then wagging his finger and saying “Not in my house!”
“Your study is invalid” is some next-level shit.

2.THANK YOU for acknowledging and respecting my insistence on following RDBPC studies. Sheesh, this thread is supposed to be a DIALOGUE, not a shouting match. You are one of the very few posters in this debate who actually seems capable of taking in and digesting info that might be challenging to your POV.

Yeah, we’ll see what happens with the Ford RDBPC study. But as Giroir mentioned, on the RDBPC scoreboard, HCQ is losing 5-0. (That’s 35-0 for us football fans).
As for Zinc? Cripes. Okay. Haven’t gotten enough into the weeds to respond to that.

3. Why was the “Frontline Doctors” video removed? In my view, it’s simple.
Dr. Immanuel repeatedly said, “You don’t have to wear masks! We have a cure!”

IMHO that is DANGEROUS misinformation.

We all know that free speech is protected under most circumstances. But it is illegal to “falsely yell “Fire!” in a crowded theater.”

IMHO the Immanuel (Demon Jizz Lady) video was spreading dangerous misinformation to the 14 million viewers who watched it. (Please assume for the sake of argument that masks are essential for protecting people. I know the scientific data regarding modes of transmission is quite complicated and in many ways ambiguous, and I know you’ve looked into it a lot).

IMHO the Ford people and Immanuel were saying very different things.

Ford scientists: “We’ve conducted studies which give us hope that HCQ could be a promising treatment.”

Immanuel: “No need to wear masks because we have a cure!”
Yes, IMHO that hits the threshold of yelling “fire” in a crowded theater: misinformation that is dangerous.

Lastly, regarding “Faux News.” What can I say, it’s quite obvious where many of us stand on things. I hate it that ppl in this thread so cavalierly crap upon the “Mainstream Media” (or MSM, as many call it). Yeah, I think Faux News is often exactly that. Straight out lies are somewhat rare, but the GLARING omission of essential information (calling Covid a hoax, or minimizing the risks of reopening, etc. etc.) is standard operating procedure. As is the deliberate attempt to mislead.

So yeah, that’s a rabbit hole we all want to avoid, but suffice it to say that with the constant trashing of the MSM that goes on here, a little pushback against the propaganda known as Faux News seems only fair. Or, “Fair and Balanced”, as they laughably say.

Sorry to end on a touchy subject. I keep meaning to exit this thread, and hope I do some day. In the meantime, -X-, I again appreciate your attempts to keep things civil and fair. Cheers.
Well that’s a reasoned response. Fair enough. I have a few minor disagreements though.

1. in *my* opinion, that scathing rebuke was more like Danny Trevathan dropping the ball at the 1 yard line and then celebrating a TD. For all the reasons previously given. Not only was it a rush to judgement, but his opinion was not shared en masse on the heels of the peer review.

2. Still not a good enough reason for selective blanket censorship. Especially after a certain house leader was on TV saying marijuana is an effective treatment, and that’s why its legalization has to be in the act they submitted for COVID relief. I happen to agree (for selfish reasons), but that’s neither here nor there. Lol.

3. Fox News is included in my disdain for MSM. Just thought you should know that. That aside, you know damn well there’s an agenda with the majority of the other networks. The many examples of which I won’t enumerate right now.

4. Your now hidden rant on Louie is true. 90% of Congress are goons, clowns, fools, etc. But, his character isn’t important in the context of the message he put out. He’s taking it (that’s verifiable enough if one wanted to try), and he said it in open space. No repercussions. That aside, HCQ is just a political football now. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t. I don’t even care. But if I ever contract this, I’d like the freedom of choice to at least have it as an option if my doctor says it will help based on his previous experiences with it. Government can stay the hell out of that aspect of my life. I would hope you’d feel the same. Reputable doctors don’t bloodlet anymore. They do their research and are responsible both ethically and financially. Who would want a malpractice suit over a principled stand of a drug they don’t really believe in? Can’t think of a single one. Which brings me to my last point.

5. I still can’t pick HCQ up at Walmart. So this fear that people are gonna kill themselves with it is misplaced. As I said earlier, if a doctor has had verifiable success with it, then that’s up to him and me. The Right-to-try act is there for you and me. If it gets subverted due to politics, then that’s just flat out wrong. Demonstrably so.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
On the topic of “right to try” - just
curious to read the room here ....

If a doctor prescribes something - anything - for a patient - should there be any fda oversight of its appropriateness? Should there be an fda approval process for drugs moving forward or should the doctors be the one and only gateway for what their patients take?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Lol. The irony of this is just too good to pass up
Yes, a dialogue consists of making regular acknowledgements of the other’s POV. I do it all the time. But your idea of “dialogue” is always attack, never give ground.

If you were drowning in a lake, you’d berate the guy who sent you a lifeline.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, a dialogue consists of making regular acknowledgements of the other’s POV. I do it all the time. But your idea of “dialogue” is always attack, never give ground.

If you were drowning in a lake, you’d berate the guy who sent you a lifeline.
DIALOGUE was what you said, All Caps
" WHEN YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’RE SHOUTING. "
Have a sense of humor would ya?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, okay. Fair enough.

FAIR ENOUGH!
tenor.gif

Haha
Go Rams!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On the topic of “right to try” - just
curious to read the room here ....

If a doctor prescribes something - anything - for a patient - should there be any fda oversight of its appropriateness? Should there be an fda approval process for drugs moving forward or should the doctors be the one and only gateway for what their patients take?
Idk. I really don’t. Shit, half of the stuff peddled on TV has small print at the bottom that says “these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA”. I’d err on the side of caution and say yes though.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Idk. I really don’t. Shit, half of the stuff peddled on TV has small print at the bottom that says “these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA”. I’d err on the side of caution and say yes though.

The alternative is basically trusting pharmaceutical companies to only put out drugs that are safe ... and I don’t think history speaks very kindly to that proposition.

Doctors who spend their days treating patients aren’t in any position to decide what drugs are safe except for through trial and error - and I’m just not down for that.

Still, if I’m dying and there is some experimental treatment that isn’t approved but I’m dying anyway - right to try makes a lot of sense.

Back to HCQ - it sounds like the sticking point is the lack of any successful blind - placebo studies that would show that it works. Take 10,000 cases - give 5,000 HCQ (and zinc, I believe) and give the other 5,000 a placebo - double blind so the patients and the doctors don’t know which is which and then see the results. The bigger the study, the more conclusive the results, of course.

I can only assume that the proponents of HCQ as a Covid treatment are running those type tests now?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The alternative is basically trusting pharmaceutical companies to only put out drugs that are safe ... and I don’t think history speaks very kindly to that proposition.

Doctors who spend their days treating patients aren’t in any position to decide what drugs are safe except for through trial and error - and I’m just not down for that.

Still, if I’m dying and there is some experimental treatment that isn’t approved but I’m dying anyway - right to try makes a lot of sense.

Back to HCQ - it sounds like the sticking point is the lack of any successful blind - placebo studies that would show that it works. Take 10,000 cases - give 5,000 HCQ (and zinc, I believe) and give the other 5,000 a placebo - double blind so the patients and the doctors don’t know which is which and then see the results. The bigger the study, the more conclusive the results, of course.

I can only assume that the proponents of HCQ as a Covid treatment are running those type tests now?
It's not like current FDA standards are super rigorous. Drug companies are required to have 2 studies that prove a benefit regardless of how many show no benefit at all. There's a bunch of other things that must be provided, I'm not exactly an expert here in this area, but the standard for what constitutes a "successful" drug isn't super high.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How many have had to go to hospital or Doctor during all of this? What a pain and an uneasy feeling. I had to go to hospital to Gallblader out April 1st then today I had to get a knee drained at the Orthopedic surgeon. Just an uneasy feeling in those settings.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I agree. I wish Trump never woulda said it could be a good thing. Then it became political. Its been on the market for over 60 years and its been considered reasonably safe. All of a sudden its risky?

It should be a doctor/patient decision. Not a political one. If someone doesn't trust it or doesn't like the president, they can just decline using it. Simple as that. Their choice.

If a doctor asked me if I want to use it, I'll ask "Am I close to dying?" If he says yes I'll say "Hell yeah!". If he says I'm not gonna die I'll probably decline it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
How many have had to go to hospital or Doctor during all of this? What a pain and an uneasy feeling. I had to go to hospital to Gallblader out April 1st then today I had to get a knee drained at the Orthopedic surgeon. Just an uneasy feeling in those settings.

I was able to postpone my annual physical for a while. But my doctor wants me to see him for sure next month. I don't feel all that comfortable even though the waiting room chairs are 6 feet apart and everyone has their temps checked before going in. My county has seen a huge increase the past month and a half. In May we had less than 200 positive cases with 3 deaths. Now were close to 4500 cases and 50 deaths. We're one of the smaller counties in California with 270K population and the largest city is at 85K. The next largest is 35K.

Status
Not open for further replies.