Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious here, but why are you so invested in proving that this particular drug has no benefit? Again, I don't really care if it does or if it doesn't, but that statement right there is patently false. It may not have a benefit in a large control group, but it absolutely has worked in combination with zinc therapy. Hell, even a congressman is taking it right now (under Dr supervision).

View: https://twitter.com/replouiegohmert/status/1289299030325866497

It's funny too because there are just as many tests saying it has benefits as it doesn't. I just don't get the anti HCQ movement.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It wasn't addressed to me - but ...

My "problem" with HCQ isn't in the drug itself - its in the concern that people will stop taking the necessary measures to fight COVID because there is a "cure". I'm not saying anyone on this board is taking that position - but its a concern. So long as people continue to social distance and wear masks when appropriate, they can take jellybeans or heroin as far as I'm concerned.

I think the FDA's "problem" with HCQ is that it can do people harm and with little evidence of providing any benefit, its their job to try to stop potentially harmful pills from being swallowed. I'm not saying they are any good at it - or that they are right - but I believe that is the position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

My "problem" with HCQ isn't in the drug itself - its in the concern that people will stop taking the necessary measures to fight COVID because there is a "cure". I'm not saying anyone on this board is taking that position - but its a concern. So long as people continue to social distance and wear masks when appropriate, they can take jellybeans or heroin as far as I'm concerned.

I think the FDA's "problem" with HCQ is that it can do people harm and with little evidence of providing any benefit, its their job to try to stop potentially harmful pills from being swallowed. I'm not saying they are any good at it - or that they are right - but I believe that is the position.
My question becomes, and with today's search engines it may never be answered, but how many people died when they used it for Malaria? From what I've read it's been used for decades to treat that with no problems and a lot of testing. I've seen studies that say it's helped people when they've contracted covid and some have died from it. We're also likely to never know if those people would have died or recovered without it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My question becomes, and with today's search engines it may never be answered, but how many people died when they used it for Malaria? From what I've read it's been used for decades to treat that with no problems and a lot of testing. I've seen studies that say it's helped people when they've contracted covid and some have died from it. We're also likely to never know if those people would have died or recovered without it.

I’m not well enough informed to know - but to take a guess at it - I think there are certain medicines which are just dangerous - but you take them because not taking them is more dangerous. Chemotherapy comes to mind as an extreme example.

But malaria can kill you - so they say the risk is worth it.

If the data suggested that this treated Covid, I would suspect the risk would be worth it here too.

And like I said - from my perspective people can be as risky as they want with their own bodies. Fighting Covid itself is more of a team sport and that’s where I get sand in my vagina or my panties in a wad or however anyone wants to frame it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex
Capture.JPG

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Got out this week and played 9. 2 par, 3 birdies, and 4 holes that destroyed my self confidence lol

For the first time ever, I started birdie, par, par last week. Shoulda stopped right there. The rest of the round was like an Easter egg hunt for my ball.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It's funny too because there are just as many tests saying it has benefits as it doesn't. I just don't get the anti HCQ movement.

It has nothing to do with saving lives, this much is certain.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hey mojo - what’s this showing?
Is it showing deaths have declined?
It looks like itms down close to zero... that is surprising so I am just asking in case I’m missing something

Website disclaimer:

Note: Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of July 29, 2020. Death counts are delayed and may differ from other published sources (see Technical Notes). Counts will be updated every Wednesday by 5pm. Additional information will be added to this site as available.

My guess is they’re still going down, but with the numbers not accurate we won’t have a clear picture for probably another couple of weeks depending on what the delay is.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yep.
And if i'm not mistaken HCQ is owned by a French pharma so.....we can't spoil a good old American profit. A BIG one.
65 year old drug with patents run out long ago. Anyone can concoct it now.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

What in the hell made them so concerned half way through the 7th decade of its use???????? Fucking puzzling as hell.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Just to give an idea of how long it takes for the numbers to be reported. My symptoms started on July 13, tested July 17. Got results on 7/23, symptom free on 7/27. I was contacted by the county health department today, 8/3 to get accurate information on my symptoms, their onset and when I became symptom free. So 3 weeks after I got sick my case is just now being reported by the county health department.

My employer made me file a temporary disability claim, stating it was to prevent me from having to use my 40 hrs of family care PTO. I filed the claim on 7/28 and it was approved on 7/30. It covers 7/28-7/31 which was 2 days missed and 2 days off. They have my letter stating I tested positive and a letter stating I have completed my quarantine as of 7/28. I still have not been approved to return to work as the company that handles our temporary disability has not informed my employer I can return to work. Both the disability company and my employer have the letter stating I have completed quarantine. As of today I have used 20 hrs of my 40 available. I will be out of family care PTO after Wednesday the 5th. So all the disability claim did was extend my time off and I still have to use my PTO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just to give an idea of how long it takes for the numbers to be reported. My symptoms started on July 13, tested July 17. Got results on 7/23, symptom free on 7/27. I was contacted by the county health department today, 8/3 to get accurate information on my symptoms, their onset and when I became symptom free. So 3 weeks after I got sick my case is just now being reported by the county health department.

My employer made me file a temporary disability claim, stating it was to prevent me from having to use my 40 hrs of family care PTO. I filed the claim on 7/28 and it was approved on 7/30. It covers 7/28-7/31 which was 2 days missed and 2 days off. They have my letter stating I tested positive and a letter stating I have completed my quarantine as of 7/28. I still have not been approved to return to work as the company that handles our temporary disability has not informed my employer I can return to work. Both the disability company and my employer have the letter stating I have completed quarantine. As of today I have used 20 hrs of my 40 available. I will be out of family care PTO after Wednesday the 5th. So all the disability claim did was extend my time off and I still have to use my PTO.

Curious about what State you live in.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

That sucks man

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What in the hell made them so concerned half way through the 7th decade of its use???????? Fucking puzzling as hell.

The suggestion was risk - reward.

The risk is the risk - the drug can be harmful.

The reward with malaria is pretty clear.

The reward with Covid is not as clear.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
CA, the home of high taxes.
Get it right Comrad Dave, we are known as The Democratic Peoples Republic of California :LOL: where upside down is now accepted as right side up:zany:

lol, there was a very minor quake near Yorba Linda today 3.7 or something—-the sheer panic in the faces on our organizations out of staters was priceless

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Get it right Comrad Dave, we are known as The Democratic Peoples Republic of California :LOL: where upside down is now accepted as right side up:zany:

lol, there was a very minor quake near Yorba Linda today 3.7 or something—-the sheer panic in the faces on our organizations out of staters was priceless

Living in whiner country and being a Rams fan has helped me develop the reputation of a rebel. I refuse to fold to Gavin Newscums wishes and call CA the Democratic Peoples Republic of California:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I remember my 1st earthquake, I was about 7 and it scared the shit out of me, as I was home alone, playing sick. And of course 1st thing I tried to do was call my mother at work, and of course the phones were out. I was having visions of buildings crumbling and mass destruction. I think there may have been some damage done, like liquor bottles falling off the shelf. By the time we had the Loma Prieta quake I was of drinking age was passed out, til my mother woke me up and told me we needed to get outside due to an earthquake. I was so staggering drunk I didnt know if it was the earthquake or my balance, but standing was very challenging.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And to simplify - I get the definitional distinction between publisher and platform - the part I’m saying doesn’t exist in the current law is the concept that in order to enjoy Immunity from liability for the content of posts on their site, that they have to agree to be politically neutral. It’s not in the law - it’s not in the legislative intent - it’s not in the penumbra of the law - there is no authority for the proposition.

Well, I can't mind read, but I'm pretty sure the intent in 1996 was to allow platforms to exist where all viewpoints could be heard without the platform being held liable. The probably hadn't envisioned a Twitter or Facebook back then that would hold a dominant market position and would aggressively censor some points of view, based on politics ... although points of view from others that are far more inflammatory than "I'm a doctor and successfully treated Covid with HCQ" are perfectly fine with said platforms. In fact, I feel pretty confident in saying they didn't envision that when they envisioned a free and open internet.

You lost me on the 8th amendment thing.

That was an attempt at humor, and obviously a poor one ... as in forcing you to read the entirety of a page regarding subject matter eligibility in patent law would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

I just don't get the anti HCQ movement.

If you don't get it, try being more cynical. ;)

You'll get it in almost no time after that.

Hey mojo - what’s this showing?
Is it showing deaths have declined?
It looks like itms down close to zero... that is surprising so I am just asking in case I’m missing something

It doesn't show zero, but it shows they are significantly lower and have declined to a fraction of what they were at the peak ... this in spite of a larger number of reported infections (which, in turn, probably has a lot to do with increased testing).

It's also fair to observe that as the number of deaths has declined so dramatically from its peak, the emphasis in reporting has shifted to number of total cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.