Cooper Kupp Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It'll be an extension that spreads out the bonuses and pushes the cap hits for them both to 2022.

They'll structure the guarantees so that he'll still get paid, but they'll delay the cap hit until it's likely to go back to normal.

Also, I think the TV ratings after all of this waiting are gonna be MASSIVE and as such, I don't think the cap will fall all the way to 175M, but closer to $182M...give or take a bit.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Its being reported Kupp is looking for more than 20mil. a year. Love the gut but that is too much. I cant see keeping both him and Woods at that rate.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Its being reported Kupp is looking for more than 20mil. a year. Love the gut but that is too much. I cant see keeping both him and Woods at that rate.

That's pure speculation. Wyche says Kupp will probably look for something similar to Keenan Allen's deal. That's not from Kupp or his agent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good luck with the NFL trying to cut the salary cap down the road. I know how it works, the CBA and all, but teams will not be forced to reduce their payroll to get under the number. There may be an over the cap penalty, or something of the like, but forcing teams to cut players without guaranteed salary will not fly. And shouldnt

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope Kupp's contract runneth under the expectations.
Kupp is a very good WR. He came in old and maxed out for a rookie, and he has injury history. So age + injury history makes this contract feel more like a vets second deal rather than normal.
Kupp has to know the Rams wouldn't likely be the team in position to offer the best contract if he was a FA.
If he wants to get something done with LA, I have to believe its a good deal for the Rams.

I would be fairly nervous about signing Kupp to a big multi year deal.
Not For Long and all.

Not related to Kupp really but remember when a still fairly young James Laurinaitis speed just fell off a cliff? Like his shoes were suddenly made out of concrete, he went from serviceable to useless almost over night.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Not related to Kupp really but remember when a still fairly young James Laurinaitis speed just fell off a cliff? Like his shoes were suddenly made out of concrete, he went from serviceable to useless almost over night.
What speed? He ran like 4.88 at the combine and a 4.72 on the pro day.. He should have been a 2 down MLB
I liked the other guy that got drafted Curry or something but he liek retired in year 2 had no heart

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What speed? He ran like 4.88 at the combine and a 4.72 on the pro day.. He should have been a 2 down MLB
I liked the other guy that got drafted Curry or something but he liek retired in year 2 had no heart
Right. He was borderline too slow to begin with. Then he was useless.
Curry sucked too but I think you are thinking of Rey Mauluaga or whatever.
Either way, I wasn't saying Laurinaitis was ever fast, just what he did have, he lost fast. Just turning 30 and he was physically done. It happens fast.

Kupp is nothing like JL in any way, but the game and age still work the same.

I would love to keep Kupp at a good price.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
SMH Aaron Curry lol. We got the better MLB for sure. JL was late to the tackle a lot but most of the time he got there before everyone else on the team. He didn't have the most tackles every game for nothing. Rey was a knucklehead, end of story. And A.Curry was all talk no game. So glad the Shawks wasted that high pick on him lol!

anyway, I really wanna keep Kupp, everyone does, but if he gouges us for it I dunno what to think.

Ram65

Legend
Let's see if the Rams give Kupp more than they have to.

Last I looked his estimated market value was around $16.7Mil per year.

Kupp from what I remember about played 65% in the slot and 35% outside. Strangely enough, the Rams didn't play him much in the 12P sets later in the year. Still, Kupp is very valuable to the Rams offense and Jared Goff. He is relatively young at 27 so I'm wondering how many years extension he wants. It could be anywhere from 3-5 years. If it's three years he could still get another good contract at age 31 as his route running shouldn't slow down as much as a speed guy slows. Considering he has a low salary this year he could get more than the estimated MV.

Three-year extension at $17Mil a year sounds good.

Four to five year extension at $18Mil a year sound good too.

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't see anybody's contract to be reworked just for Kupp. If they roll over the $7.6M they have in cap space they can do the same with Kupp as they did with Ramsey. They would give him like $4M next year then a big raise in 2022 and then on. $4M is double what he's making this year. He will get the rest of his money spread out over the contract in form of guaranteed money (i.e. larger signing bonus) His market is about $17M / yr but again it's about the guaranteed more than anything else. I see a contract similar in structure to Ramsey's for all the extensions. Simply cap-friendly through 2021 then increasing after that with larger guarantees than they would normally give. They will follow this structure for all the extensions like Floyd and perhaps Ebukam. I think Everett is gone because of how much he can make elsewhere and he's a part-time player in LA. IMO when they drafted Hopkins it was in anticipation of not keeping Everett. This is why I say Snead is drafting a year ahead now because the roster is built.

oldnotdead

Legend
They can clear a lot of cap releasing Whitworth and Havenstein next year. That's why I'm not happy with Evans and Anchrum backstopping at OT while Noteboom and Edwards are at OG. It makes no sense at all.

Ram65

Legend
I forgot Evans and Theilen were in the $16Mil range which would be good too.

With Jalen Ramsey’s deal done, Cooper Kupp is next. But can the Rams afford him?

Cameron DaSilva
Rams WireSep 9, 2020, 11:11 AM

88804b51149d529aa59cce73f3efa0df

The Los Angeles Rams began Wednesday $404,000 over the salary cap. Yet, just hours into the day, they found a way to give Jalen Ramsey a five-year, $105 million extension. It seemed impossible when examining the Rams’ salary cap situation, but as always, there are methods to freeing up space.

The question now becomes whether they can create enough room for Cooper Kupp, who is set to become a free agent in 2021. Les Snead said on Monday that the Rams were working on extensions for Ramsey and Kupp, though he didn’t set a timeline for either deal to get done.

Well, with Ramsey taken care of, the Rams’ attention is turning to Kupp.

Fortunately, Los Angeles doesn’t have to sign Kupp right now. He won’t be a free agent until March, so there are no concerns about fitting him under the cap in 2020. What they do have to worry about is making it work next year.

If the salary cap drops to $176 million in 2021 like the NFL has said it could, the Rams will have a projected $9.3 million to spend – and that’s before Ramsey’s deal hits the cap, according to Over The Cap. It’s not a ton of money – nowhere close to what the Jaguars, Colts and Jets have to spend – but it’s enough to get by.

Regardless of how Ramsey’s deal is structured, he’s going to eat into that cap space at least a little bit, considering he’s not under contract in Over The Cap’s current projection. Say Ramsey’s cap hit next year is $15 million, that’ll leave the Rams $6 million over the cap.
In order to fit Kupp in, they may need to part ways with a key player or two, potentially A’Shawn Robinson, Rob Havenstein or Robert Woods. As unlikely as that is, the Rams’ options will be limited if the salary cap drops to $176 million.

The other question is how much will Kupp command? He won’t get close to the $27.5 million salary DeAndre Hopkins just got from the Cardinals, nor will he approach Julio Jones at $22 million per year. Instead, he’s more likely to be around the level of Odell Beckham Jr. and Tyreek Hill at $18 million, or possibly Mike Evans and Adam Thielen in the $16 million per year range.

If Kupp does get north of $16 million per year, that’ll give the Rams four players who are making more than $15 million per year – with Ramsey, Jared Goff and Aaron Donald being the others.

That leaves very few resources left for the rest of the roster, especially with Leonard Floyd, Austin Blythe, Troy Hill, Gerald Everett, John Johnson and Josh Reynolds all hitting free agency next year, too.

The Rams would love to keep Kupp – Kevin Demoff said in March that they were trying to reserve space for him, Ramsey and Johnson – but financially, they’ll have to be flexible and possibly part ways with important players.

As it’s often said, the salary cap is a myth, and so the Rams can make it work. It’s just a matter of whether they will in time before he hits the market.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah I hate when there's too much gut as well
But in all seriousness I doubt Kupp gets 20 million a year from anyone. He's the perfect slot receiver but he isn't a number 1

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I met @ScotsRam once and I can tell you this he wasn’t as quick up the bar as he is with these new contract threads.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I haven't seen any sort of behavior from Kupp that would make me think he'd be all wrapped up in the contract value. Not saying he'll take a low end deal but I would expect him to be reasonable as long as the Rams are in that fair range. IMO he's going to value the Rams' offense and the way it benefits him, he's just that kind of dude IMO.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WATER BOY WANTS 20 MILLION PER YEAR.
Rams report that even the water boy is expecting 20 million per year. The kid that runs out to grab the tee after the kickoff is giving the Rams a hometown deal of $19 million per year.