Concrete stick garden growing rapidly at new Rams Stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Look at all those empty seats.

It's preseason and a lot of the seats aren't able to be purchased in the first place.

Yeah sounds great until the pigeons dying from heat exhaustion bombard the fans with their lifeless yet still pooping carcasses......

Uh, I'm not sure what century you're in, but in the modern world we have this thing called air conditioning, and mixed with smart engineering you can allow a mix of open air cross flow wind and air conditioning to keep everything cool. Added to being underground where it's cooler, and it'll be perfectly safe for the birds.

bnw

Pro Bowler
It's preseason and a lot of the seats aren't able to be purchased in the first place.

Uh, I'm not sure what century you're in, but in the modern world we have this thing called air conditioning, and mixed with smart engineering you can allow a mix of open air cross flow wind and air conditioning to keep everything cool. Added to being underground where it's cooler, and it'll be perfectly safe for the birds.
I'm in the 21st Century and pigeons will find a way.:p I don't care about pigeons.

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
Look at all those empty seats.

LA is a baseball town, bro.

Seriously I don't think the Mayweather fight happening during the game helped matters at all. That was pretty embarrassing.

"THE BATTLE FOR LA!!!"

Angelenos: ((yawn))

threesox84

Name
Greg
Yeah sounds great until the pigeons dying from heat exhaustion bombard the fans with their lifeless yet still pooping carcasses......

I doubt it'll ever get too hot in there. Inglewood is really close to the Pacific Ocean with no mountains in between. It's usually breezy and 10-15 degrees cooler there than the rest of the LA basin, much of which has a mountain or two between it and the ocean.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I doubt it'll ever get too hot in there. Inglewood is really close to the Pacific Ocean with no mountains in between. It's usually breezy and 10-15 degrees cooler there than the rest of the LA basin, much of which has a mountain or two between it and the ocean.
For people perhaps.....but pigeons roost high and sunlight and transparent roof means heat so beware!
https://www.facebook.com/Save-The-Pigeons-320742911356798/

threesox84

Name
Greg
For people perhaps.....but pigeons roost high and sunlight and transparent roof means heat so beware!
https://www.facebook.com/Save-The-Pigeons-320742911356798/

The pigeons will show respect because the stadium will be a private residence, man.

maxresdefault.jpg

bnw

Pro Bowler
You'd think we went 4-12 last year!
So true. They will have to turn it around or risk being the geeky awkward kid of the landlord to the Chargers BMOC. I was hoping for better but at least Mannion was connecting with the WRs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice photos and Live feed, but I thought they would be a little further along by now!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The playing field is sunk under ground (which is a huge cost saver overall, and its better for the environment, so win-win there), and they're offsetting costs by having all the different offices and other complexes around the stadium so there's not really anyway to have a rolling field that isn't going to probably push the costs into the 3 billion dollar range. Stan is going to go cheap on the surface, we'll get the latest and greatest turf. Most of the stigmas about turf are actually false. The science points to turf actually being safer for players.

Hey bluecoconuts, I thought that "most" of the recent studies still seem to indicate that a good grass field is still safer than a good turf field. (Especially as regards the most serious injuries, like ACL tears). And I assume you meant "Isn't going to go cheap," right? (-- or did you mean Stan is gonna be "cheap" as regards avoiding grass, but he'll still get the "best" artificial turf?)

If it were feasible, I'd prefer to have a high-quality grass field at Inglewood. But if the costs truly are prohibitive, I guess a high-quality artifical turf will have to do.

As of a survey in 2010, NFL players overwhelmingly prefer grass to artificial turf. Granted, the study was awhile ago, and players go by how it "feels" as opposed to the scientific research. But I think "feel" is still an important metric. I have had three knee surgeries myself, and I definitely prefer grass to even the soft-and-cushy modern artificial turf.

Here's a couple links I found that still prefer grass:

http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/09/08/grass-vs-turf-which-is-safer/
https://www.drdavidgeier.com/ask-dr-geier-acl-tears-on-natural-grass-or-fieldturf/

I do believe that the quality and safety of artificial turf keeps getting better and better, but in my personal opinion they have not yet surpassed the safety of a high-quality grass field.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do believe that the quality and safety of artificial turf keeps getting better and better, but in my personal opinion they have not yet surpassed the safety of a high-quality grass field.
Problem is the "quality" of grass fields. We've all seen the Coliseum after 1 game it takes weeks to recover and honestly since the Rams and USC have shared it the turf just gets worse and worse over the course of the year. Many of the grass fields in the NFL are horrible and that is the issue. Bad playing surfaces regardless of grass or artificial are the problem. Washington, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Oakland are horrible. Then you have bad artificial turf in Indy and Houston. Also all the ACL injuries in practice and training camp happen on grass normally. Honestly I think it comes down to the quality of the field whether it is turf or grass is secondary.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, there's a big problem with natural grass.

The ETFE roof is meant to block the UV rays. If it didn't, you'd have a serious greenhouse effect going on in August and September, especially. It would be too hot for it to be open air. I mean the westside gets breezes, but during the late summer doldrums, the air just seems to sit...and I doubt they'd bring in those huge special effects fans to move the air (which is about what you'd need to remotely cool that place off)

Which means much less photosynthesis since the only UV rays would be reflected.

That would mean a field that took a really long time to rebound and the possibility that they'd have to resod the stadium during the bye week depending on the condition.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love the new venue Roof & Field Turf, which is better than grass. Sorry, the Coliseum looks warn from time to time, whereas Field Turf holds up and is far more durable...It's going to be a palatial venue one for the ages.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Love the new venue Roof & Field Turf, which is better than grass. Sorry, the Coliseum looks warn from time to time, whereas Field Turf holds up and is far more durable...It's going to be a palatial venue one for the ages.

Honestly, it may be the last mega-venue built.

We don't see any new ones on the horizon afterwards and this one is all with Kroenke's money.

Public financing has taken a massive hit lately and with LA taken, there aren't that many more ways to leverage taxpayers for 30-year bond measures to build and maintain a venue that will be abandoned after 15-20.

I think if someone's going to get a city on board, they will have to sign a "no move" clause as well as creating a multipurpose, reasonable venue.

I just don't see any publicly financed venues which exceed $1B.

Yet another reason why this venue in LA, if they get it right, will be a massively successful venue.