Concrete stick garden growing rapidly at new Rams Stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
Going to be a year and a half of nothing but concrete, concrete, #11 rebar, and more concrete.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Going to be a year and a half of nothing but concrete, concrete, #11 rebar, and more concrete.

Fine by me, I love watching epic transformations come together before my eyes. Architecture has always held a big interest. Looking forward to the final result, accompanied by many future Rams Super Bowl runs.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
The stadium is going to be world class and beautiful. But it will have been perfect only when they install the rolling NATURAL GRASS tray a la Cardinal stadium. Hopefully they change their mind before pouring concrete and solidify the playing surface with artificial turf.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Doesn't look like anything is happening!

Get to work ya lazy bums!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
4700439083_9010237f47_z.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll drive by today and tell them to hurry up....

Seriously....they have some temp. housing out there...I'd guess work goes on around the clock....It's a big mound of dirt blocking your view from the street...so I hadn't seen any of this...

…..

Legend
Fine by me, I love watching epic transformations come together before my eyes. Architecture has always held a big interest. Looking forward to the final result, accompanied by many future Rams Super Bowl runs.
I agree. I got to see it first hand in the late 90's, on a grand scale when I was a concrete boom pump operator helping to build Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. I remember the very 1st pour like it was yesterday.

But on this project, yeah the cams are cool too see and to check in now and then to marvel at the progress. I stumbled across them a few weeks ago on TheRams.com and had all but forgotten about them. Thanks for posting as I too find it very interesting!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
It will be an epic stadium for an epic team in an epic city. Tons of monumentality, worthy of a 'coliseum', while being wholly new millenium LA.
As far as grass, I don't see why not - the ETFE roof will practically be a greenhouse. The main issue will be watering it of course, and getting it lots of fresh air - I have no idea if this will be an open-air stadium to breezes, etc., anyone know? Probably not, they may want to have an HVAC system to filter out smog, lol. But all things being equal I don't see why not.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Ok, so I watched the video on the website & I'm pretty sure it's open-air. duh. So why not natural grass???

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Ok, so I watched the video on the website & I'm pretty sure it's open-air. duh. So why not natural grass???

Based on the video, the roof is transparent and the stadium is semi-open air, where the sea breeze flows through those columns.

It would have been great if it's natural grass as well, which is doable with the transparent roof and the open columns.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The playing field is sunk under ground (which is a huge cost saver overall, and its better for the environment, so win-win there), and they're offsetting costs by having all the different offices and other complexes around the stadium so there's not really anyway to have a rolling field that isn't going to probably push the costs into the 3 billion dollar range. Stan is going to go cheap on the surface, we'll get the latest and greatest turf. Most of the stigmas about turf are actually false. The science points to turf actually being safer for players.

bnw

Pro Bowler
It will be an epic stadium for an epic team in an epic city. Tons of monumentality, worthy of a 'coliseum', while being wholly new millenium LA.
As far as grass, I don't see why not - the ETFE roof will practically be a greenhouse. The main issue will be watering it of course, and getting it lots of fresh air - I have no idea if this will be an open-air stadium to breezes, etc., anyone know? Probably not, they may want to have an HVAC system to filter out smog, lol. But all things being equal I don't see why not.
Welcome to the Rams Sauna.....er game.....everyone could attend naked!

View: https://youtu.be/8JbLSK-RnPs

fearsomefour

Legend
The playing field is sunk under ground (which is a huge cost saver overall, and its better for the environment, so win-win there), and they're offsetting costs by having all the different offices and other complexes around the stadium so there's not really anyway to have a rolling field that isn't going to probably push the costs into the 3 billion dollar range. Stan is going to go cheap on the surface, we'll get the latest and greatest turf. Most of the stigmas about turf are actually false. The science points to turf actually being safer for players.
You get consistency in turf now. Not the random uneven spots with natural grass, no matter how manicured. Particularly after games have been played over time grass fields get a bit chewed up. The old days of a thin green carpet over concrete with no give and no thought given to how players cut and change direction are over. Thankfully.
It seems funny to have turf in one of the best climates in the world, but, the way you described it makes sense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They talked about this a while back but the stadium will be turf. With it being below ground level their studies showed a major issue with drainage for a natural grass surface. Plus they plan to do more than just football there and the turf allows for a wider variety of events.

As for the sauna affect it won't happen sorry I know you're having fun with it. The stadium will be open air on three sides. It's not a closed in box domed stadium just a covered stadium.

bnw

Pro Bowler
They talked about this a while back but the stadium will be turf. With it being below ground level their studies showed a major issue with drainage for a natural grass surface. Plus they plan to do more than just football there and the turf allows for a wider variety of events.

As for the sauna affect it won't happen sorry I know you're having fun with it. The stadium will be open air on three sides. It's not a closed in box domed stadium just a covered stadium.
Yeah sounds great until the pigeons dying from heat exhaustion bombard the fans with their lifeless yet still pooping carcasses......