Combine Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Fair on the first round, disagree on the second round. And we've had dead cap implications for Gurley, Goff, and Ramsey as well, just as much as Kupp, if not more in Goff's case. McSnead's not afraid to deal with dead cap situations.

Big numbers ... Yes ... but not as big as Kupp's $27M; and there were clear reasons and/or benefits.

Gurley was less than $10M in two different years.
Ramsey was less than $20M last year.
Goff was the highest at less than $25M but that was part of acquiring Stafford.

Personally, I just don't see it as a possibility but OK.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I cannot see McVay trading Kupp away prior to this season. Kupp has had a year to recover from the injuries he was still likely recovering from last season. Plus the connection Kupp and Stafford have is special. We take a big cap hit and lose a top 10 WR all while trying to make a Superbowl push? Unlikely at best IMO.

Agree; and that number is $27M.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought the article was in this thread, but I can’t find it…

One team personnel guy in (the article I can’t find) said the 2024 first round is loaded with players with 1st round grades. I think he was quoted saying the entire first round. Some years, it’s half the round has first round grades.

So… this feels like a draft to have multiple picks in the first 2 rounds.

Do it, Snead.

Do It Nike GIF by James Bond 007

Shuie3225

Starter
Very impressed with Brian Thomas Jr, Mitchell, and Legette's testing. They hit and exceeded what they needed to be considered end of 1st, top of 2nd consideration.
Would love to pull the trigger on one of these guys. But we'll have great CB and Edge options at 19.. so Im kind of torn. But we need a WR early in this draft.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't know about red flags as far as the player... I have concerns about his father acting as agent ; wanting to control the Combine process in saying that they will not participate in the medical evaluations. That they will only do it with private meetings with who "they" think are worthy. Also, the father met with the NFLPA and asked to have the rules changed so Caleb's rookie contract would not have the existing limitations in value. Caleb in interviews, when asked if he has a plan B if not not drafted 1st, said he has no plan B. He said he deserves to be #1, a bit of summarization there... It came off as a bit arrogant IMO. I know every player is going to do what is best for their future, but most stay within process that all other players must go through. I will chuckle if the Bears go another direction and WIlliams falls a couple of spots.
I have to respect that different people (and different organizations) will have different things that they consider "red flags."

For me, I would probably categorize them like this.

-Medical/injury concerns
-Off field character issues
-On field character issues
-Lacking certain physical traits. This is less of a "red flag" than it is a "I'll take that guy off my draft board" thing. Bryce Young being so small, would be an example of this.

For me, none of the things you list would raise any concerns. It's mostly just updated versions of Elway & Eli Manning.. with some Lamar Jackson sprinkled in. None of those QBs had any problems, imo.

Things worked out fine, on the QB front, for the Chargers.. not so much the Colts. So.. when deciding to pass up the guy who is clearly the best QB in his class, that's a risk they have to factor in.

dang

Legend
And then he put on his backpack and went home.... all the other receivers stayed and did their field drills. WTF guy? Do you want to be an NFL receiver or just want the glory of being the fastest guy at the combine?
How’s John Ross doing in the NFL?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So tell me about Asaiah Davis from South Dakota St anybody? :)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have recently morphed to mock drafting Bortolini in a few drafts instead of trying to go get one of the top 3.
He’s definitely an option that could start soon if we don’t keep Shelton. This combine sure affirms what I thought about this guy. If Shelton leaves, it would be a great year to get your beast in the middle for years to come. This guy is #4 on the beast list in my opinion. Is he starting material already?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Man, there's something about Sando and Mueller's riffing, schtick, whatever and sound of voice that irks me. And I never seem to come away with new knowledge like I do with Tice and Mays. But perhaps that's cause I can't get over their voices and haven't listened for awhile.
Their lack of "pod polish" is one of the things I like. I feel like I get a type of insight that's a different flavor of what I get with the other two, who I love.

Sounds like I need to add Charles Robinson.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Their lack of "pod polish" is one of the things I like. I feel like I get a type of insight that's a different flavor of what I get with the other two, who I love.

Sounds like I need to add Charles Robinson.
Yeah, Robinson used to be on the pod every week but now it's a bit more infrequent (though I expect he'll be back to every week on Thursdays during the season), it's insane what GMs and others tell him every week (though I think a lot of times it's GMs talking about other people's rosters but the insights are fantastic).

His camp reports are absolutely must hears and he was reporting last year about Rams camp how optimistic everyone was here and how no one believed them, including him, but that there was a glint in McVay's eyes.

He was all over the souring of the 9ers on Trey Lance, the trade and how low the value was gonna be before anyone else was.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree; and that number is $27M.
27 mill in dead cap and what sort of package would a team offer for a 31 y/o guy who missed action in the last 2 years and comes with a 3 year contract at 20 mill per season?
4th rounder?
I’ll take my chances that Kupp returns to form.
In Horns!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I have recently morphed to mock drafting Bortolini in a few drafts instead of trying to go get one of the top 3.
He’s definitely an option that could start soon if we don’t keep Shelton. This combine sure affirms what I thought about this guy. If Shelton leaves, it would be a great year to get your beast in the middle for years to come. This guy is #4 on the beast list in my opinion. Is he starting material already?
At 19?!?