Cole: Browns Will 'Take a Real Run' at Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Whatever happened to football trades?

Player for player type stuff.

You want Sam? Fine, we expect a like-valued roster player. Justin Gilbert sounds good.

Straight Up? Not to me. Who is going to be under center?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Id do it for the 12th overall pick and Justin Gilbert, They are not really happy with him and he under preformed. If he came to the Rams I think he would shine like Barron, he's talented for sure.

It also says the Browns are only offering a 2nd round pick at best as compensation. Still interested? I'd seriously consider it even at that price.

Fine, give me the 2nd and Justin Gilbert.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's probably bogus, but you never know. If Sam has decided not to restructure which is possible given the lack of progress in talks, then the Rams will be more likely to move him. Cleveland is a mess, and cannot control Manziel. Fish would probably be able to handle Manziel's personality, the Rams had scouts that liked him coming out, they have a QB coach who is good at working with mobile QBs now, he comes under contract for longer than Sam, and his value is incredibly low which means the Rams would get a pick too.

Everyone hates Manziel here it seems, but he still has a chance to show he can play in this league. If the Rams think they'd have to franchise tag Sam to keep him next year, they might decide to cut bait provided they get an offer they like.

With that 2nd round pick the Rams could take Carden, Petty, or Hundley. Add a guy like Sanchez in FA and we have:

Sanchez > Manziel> Davis > [Carden/Petty/Hundley]

Not a bad depth chart for next year's camp. What Sanchez gives up in his production he compensates for in not being an extreme injury risk. He knows the Rams' offense and would have far more weapons than he's ever had in the NFL. The cap savings would mean a very high chance of signing a guy like Wisniewski. The draft pick would mean another OL that the Rams would be able to get instead of using it on a QB. Finally, the Rams would not be hell bent on keeping Manziel, if he can't beat out Davis he's cut.

Irish

Starter
Straight Up? Not to me. Who is going to be under center?

You are trading an oft injured QB who could use a change of scenery for a disappointing CB who could use a change of scenery. Anyone the Rams would draft or bring in via free agency or trade would be legitimately competing with Bradford for a starting spot in 2015. It is no secret that the Rams have struggled at the CB position in the past several years. In this scenario, you potentially fix the CB position with a dynamic blue chip player a la Mark Barron, and that aforementioned QB you brought in is instead the de facto starter. I don't see how both teams don't benefit from this deal, especially because if you do nothing, you are stuck with a QB and his 13 mil cap hit for 2015 who has more question marks at this point than touchdown passes thrown in 2014.

Its like Cole Hamels in Philadelphia. If Ruben Amaro doesn't trade Hamels before the season starts, he risks Hamels getting hurt in a lame duck season and having zero trade value by the deadline and getting almost nothing in return for him but a compensatory pick. Only, in this situation, Bradford is much, much more dire because if Bradford gets hurt again, not only did the Rams get literally nothing in return for him, but Bradford doesn't have anything close to a world series MVP to his resume with the team.

Sometimes, you gotta know when to cut bait.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Folks around here are acting like Bradford is some kind of given if he stays healthy but he's not. He has bad games, and is inconsistent. The dropoff from moving him isn't earth shaking, particularly when you consider he's probably gonna have more ACL issues playing QB.

If the guy is playing hardball with his contract after being paid very well over the course of his career thus far, and balking at doing an extension that helps the team... I am more than happy to watch Fish show him the door. He is just not worth all that. He's not.

Irish

Starter
Folks around here are acting like Bradford is some kind of given if he stays healthy but he's not. He has bad games, and is inconsistent. The dropoff from moving him isn't earth shaking, particularly when you consider he's probably gonna have more ACL issues playing QB.

If the guy is playing hardball with his contract after being paid very well over the course of his career thus far, and balking at doing an extension that helps the team... I am more than happy to watch Fish show him the door. He is just not worth all that. He's not.

That's what I don't get either. It's not like we are getting Drew Brees is his darned knee would stay together, at best you are getting a poor man's Eli Manning or Alex Smith and at worst he's Matt Leinart (great talent, just couldn't put it together)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are people asking for Justin Gilbert? He got beat out by a UDFA for his position, looked like shit when he did play, and admitted that his work ethic and attitude were garbage as a rookie.

It also says the Browns are only offering a 2nd round pick at best as compensation. Still interested? I'd seriously consider it even at that price.

Nope.

There's nobody in the 2nd round we could replace Bradford with and it's not a major enough trade chip. They'd need to give us #19. At least we could use that as a major trade chip to move up for one of the top two QBs.

Snap your hand off for a second, throw it in with our 1st and go get Mariota, then build the OL in the second and third.

Yea...except you're short a first. It'll take two firsts and likely something else to move up into the top 5.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bradford is a given. We know what he is at worst. What isn't a given is how good he can be. Which is why many of us don't want to trade him unless we're getting a really good offer.

The drop-off from moving him IS earthshaking. The options out there right now are guys like Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore, Jake Locker, etc.

That's what I don't get either. It's not like we are getting Drew Brees is his darned knee would stay together, at best you are getting a poor man's Eli Manning or Alex Smith and at worst he's Matt Leinart (great talent, just couldn't put it together)

AT BEST? I don't think we know what we're getting at best. What we do KNOW is that he's not Matt Leinart. Matt Leinart started 18 games in his entire career and looked completely in over his head. We've already seen more than enough of Bradford to know that he's an average starter AT WORST.(if he's on the field)

At best...who knows what we have. The guy threw 28 TDs to 11 Ints in his last 16 starts with Chris Givens, Lance Kendricks, and Austin Pettis as his most productive weapons behind a below average at best OL with a mediocre running game. To state the obvious, that's pretty damn impressive.

IMO, we're getting an average to above average starting QB with the potential to be a top 10 QB.

That's worth a lot to me. I'll gamble on his health. But I'm also not going to bet everything I have on it.

ram007

Starter
I think they are trying to trade Bradford for a first rounder. Will that happen, i don't know.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I smell Condon...

(that's with an N you sickos...)

This is how an agent creates leverage when people think your client has none after a team announces it wants to cut your client's pay. Leak trade rumors and teams supposedly interested. Yes, leaky Condon...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I would be PISSED if we traded bradford for only a 2nd rounder! either a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd or maybe a 2nd and a player

ram007

Starter
I would be PISSED if we traded bradford for only a 2nd rounder! either a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd or maybe a 2nd and a player

Bradford in terms of QB value is near at the bottom. He is only valuable to Rams. He won't fetch a 2nd rounder. Think, what is Nick Foles worth? Is Bradford after two ACLs worth more than Foles with a $12.5 million cap hit? No way!

ram007

Starter
I smell Condon...

(that's with an N you sickos...)

This is how an agent creates leverage when people think your client has none after a team announces it wants to cut your client's pay. Leak trade rumors and teams supposedly interested. Yes, leaky Condon...

+1

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't know why anyone would want Gilbert. He looked terrible all year - got called out by the pros there for not having the right attitude or guts. Just looks like a bust. And regarding Bradford being a poor mans Alex Smith or Eli? Come on.

I'd take their first and second for him but its not going to happen. A second this year and another next year? Yeah I'd probably do that - but the fact is if you trade him [SB] we don't have a QB. Use that second round pick to trade up for Mariota? Possibility - but youre taking a risk on the franchise on a rookie again! What if Mariota busts?? Sheesh...its a tough question alright.

I think Condon's being smart - its what he does, leaking rumours like this. He knows the Rams are over a barrel here so he's creating leverage for his client where most guys would say "Sam Bradford the QB has no leverage with the rams because of his injury history and mediocre stats".... that's why he makes big bucks. He's a good agent.

ram007

Starter
I don't know why anyone would want Gilbert. He looked terrible all year - got called out by the pros there for not having the right attitude or guts. Just looks like a bust. And regarding Bradford being a poor mans Alex Smith or Eli? Come on.

I'd take their first and second for him but its not going to happen. A second this year and another next year? Yeah I'd probably do that - but the fact is if you trade him [SB] we don't have a QB. Use that second round pick to trade up for Mariota? Possibility - but youre taking a risk on the franchise on a rookie again! What if Mariota busts?? Sheesh...its a tough question alright.

I think Condon's being smart - its what he does, leaking rumours like this. He knows the Rams are over a barrel here so he's creating leverage for his client where most guys would say "Sam Bradford the QB has no leverage with the rams because of his injury history and mediocre stats".... that's why he makes big bucks. He's a good agent.

Mariotta will be gone by 5th pick at worst. Rams have a steep climb to get Mariotta. And Mariotta is not a sure shot QB like Luck. So Bradford it is for Rams. All this trade dance is for the pot of $12.5 million dollars. Bradford will win this dance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford in terms of QB value is near at the bottom. He is only valuable to Rams. He won't fetch a 2nd rounder. Think, what is Nick Foles worth? Is Bradford after two ACLs worth more than Foles with a $12.5 million cap hit? No way!

I'd give up more for Bradford than I would for Foles.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Why would the Rams trade their only proven starter for a less than premium pick in a draft that Fisher himself called thin? Gotta figure we'd have to use that pick to trade for someone else. We ain't trading up with a 2nd, and the QBs below the top 2 (that's debatable as well) in the draft aren't inspiring.