Coach Venturi Loves Watkins--Says Pass on Clowney--101Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Some of the stuff he says is just plain silly.

Rick Venturi (born February 23, 1946) is a former American football player and coach. He served as the head coach at Northwestern University and as longtime National Football League assistant coach known for his defense. As the head coach at Northwestern from 1978 to 1980, Venturi's record was 1–31–1. He coached the beginning segment the Northwestern Wildcats' NCAA Division I record 34-game losing streak. Venturi has served as the defensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints, and St. Louis Rams. Venturi also served as an interim head coach, in 1991 with the Colts and 1996 with the Saints. As a head coach in the NFL, his career record stands at 2–17.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Venturi
Not exactly the stuff dreams are made of...

FRO

Legend
chuckle.gif

And as I recall, Tony Softli said he would have taken him off the board.:D
Yeah they weren't too keen to the Quinn pick. I was shocked he fell to us that draft.

tbux

Rookie
I love when people bash on guys like venture who know INFINITELY more about football than anyone on this or any forum. be real.

Its cool to disagree with him- I have many times- but I respect his football knowledge. On this topic I agree with him- I see the same things with Watkins. I think he is every bit the prospect Julio was and on par with Green.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I love when people bash on guys like venture who know INFINITELY more about football than anyone on this or any forum. be real.

Its cool to disagree with him- I have many times- but I respect his football knowledge. On this topic I agree with him- I see the same things with Watkins. I think he is every bit the prospect Julio was and on par with Green.
Every person here has their right to their opinion. Weigh in, but don't start bashing posters...that is not cool. Keep it about the post, remember?

tbux

Rookie
Every person here has their right to their opinion. Weigh in, but don't start bashing posters...that is not cool. Keep it about the post, remember?

I agree, everyone does have that right- I have the right to mine, which is people who bash respectable people who have way more knowledge than the people bashing him. to me that is uncool. He isn't here to defend himself. Disagreeing with the guy is fine, I said I disagree with him many times, but I don't bash the guy- how cool is that?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree, everyone does have that right- I have the right to mine, which is people who bash respectable people who have way more knowledge than the people bashing him. to me that is uncool. He isn't here to defend himself. Disagreeing with the guy is fine, I said I disagree with him many times, but I don't bash the guy- how cool is that?
It's cooler than bashing people that are here...and it's within the RODS rules. Bashing posters here is not.

tbux

Rookie
It's cooler than bashing people that are here...and it's within the RODS rules. Bashing posters here is not.

Who did I bash? I gave an OPINION that bashing a guy like Venturi isn't cool- I didn't attack anyone or address anyone in particular. You seem a bit sensitive my man.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Who did I bash? I gave an OPINION that bashing a guy like Venturi isn't cool- I didn't attack anyone or address anyone in particular. You seem a bit sensitive my man.
I'm not sensitive at all on this subject. Just trying to give you a head's up, about the rules and all. It is all I will say about the subject. You start throwing out general bashes, people aren't likely to take kindly to it.

tbux

Rookie
Dr Ram - I am not here to offend anyone- nor do I think my comment was offensive. I was defending a guy when others were bashing him when he couldn't defend himself. If that isn't allowed here, I am in the wrong place. Venturi is a good guy, and is quite knowledgeable- so I didn't think it was fair to discredit the guy- nothing more.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All I know is that his defenses were predominately in the bottom third of the league. Many times in the bottom of the barrel. When he disses a defensive player I tend to not pay attention to him.

tbux

Rookie
so if you didn't have success as a HC it means you don't understand football? or maybe just not good at coaching? dont know all the reasons for his lack of success- I do know he is a well respected guy who knows more football than you, me or anyone on this forum. Or do you disagree?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He has forgotten more football than I will ever know but it is my right not to pay attention to anything he says because he was not a very good defensive coordinator.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Venturi provides a little more insight here, which is a very different message than what was presented in subject line of this thread.

Streamed live on Apr 8, 2014

St. Louis American sports columnist Palmer Alexander III and Ishmael H. Sistrunk present Rams Roundup. This week's special guest is former Rams assistant coach and defensive coordinator Rick Venturi. Coach Venturi shares his thoughts on the Rams upcoming draft prospects, the quarterback position, Gregg Williams' return to St. Louis as well as takes us down memory lane with some of the greatest memories of his storied career.

Many thanks for posting Stranger. As RamzFanz said, it was a good discussion. Whether you agree with the man or not, it was well worth the listen. Much appreciated again.

Alan

Legend
tbux with his opinion:
so if you didn't have success as a HC it means you don't understand football? or maybe just not good at coaching? dont know all the reasons for his lack of success- I do know he is a well respected guy who knows more football than you, me or anyone on this forum. Or do you disagree?
I disagree with pretty much everything you've said (in this conversation) and I'll give you some reasons why:
1) Just because you can coach doesn't mean you are a good judge of talent.
2) Just because you have been a coach doesn't mean you know how to coach or are good at it.
3) When did you change the subject from being a bad judge of talent to "understand football"? You can't move the goal posts during the game bro.
4) We actually have former coaches who are members here at the ROD. Does that mean you don't know shit and should just listen and agree with everything they say?
5) As for being well respected, I respect you but it doesn't mean I agree with you or that you're right.

Venturi is old and IMO, hasn't kept up with the times. I will readily admit that he knows much more about football than I do but that doesn't mean I think he can spot talent better than I can. Apples and oranges bro. That doesn't mean he isn't right about Clowney but I prefer to listen to other sources when it comes to recognizing talent. Many of them here at the ROD.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Dr Ram - I am not here to offend anyone- nor do I think my comment was offensive. I was defending a guy when others were bashing him when he couldn't defend himself. If that isn't allowed here, I am in the wrong place. Venturi is a good guy, and is quite knowledgeable- so I didn't think it was fair to discredit the guy- nothing more.
I think if the original comment simply said what I've bolded in the quote, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I also think that most here are quick to make sure that relative newcomers don't step outside the spirit of the family that exists here. I think we're all very careful not to go after anyone else in the forum, even if it is implied by ones comments. I think this operating style keeps this place friendly and focused on football. The alternative is a very slippery slope into ugliness that many of us have migrated from.

There some pretty sharp football minds here. Definitely ones that can compete with Venturi's.

I also happen to like Rick, and listen to him as well as respect his opinion, but I also respect the opinions on this board equally.

tbux

Rookie
I think if the original comment simply said what I've bolded in the quote, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I also think that most here are quick to make sure that relative newcomers don't step outside the spirit of the family that exists here. I think we're all very careful not to go after anyone else in the forum, even if it is implied by ones comments. I think this operating style keeps this place friendly and focused on football. The alternative is a very slippery slope into ugliness that many of us have migrated from.

There some pretty sharp football minds here. Definitely ones that can compete with Venturi's.

I also happen to like Rick, and listen to him as well as respect his opinion, but I also respect the opinions on this board equally.

My goal isn't to attack anyone- I dislike when people go after people that cannot defend themselves. Using a stretch of his bad coaching record to use as a reason that is opinion isn't qualified is just wrong imo. I think its in poor taste myself.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Time after time one reads how personnel people grade and rate players only to have the coaches step in during the tail end of the process and make changes. Venturi's opinion on the draft would carry more weight with me if he were a personnel guy.

RamzFanz

Damnit

It's NOT OK to bash posters for bashing posters for bashing ex-coaches. Not cool. Let's have a clean debate and no biting.