Coach Venturi Loves Watkins--Says Pass on Clowney--101Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Why can the Rams afford to pass on Jadeveon Clowney? Rick Venturi tells Randy K. and D’Marco Farr. He says the two elite athletes in this draft are Clowney and Watkins. He loves Watkins but thinks the Rams should probably trade down to 5 or 6 to get an extra 2nd round pick. Coach thinks Quinn is a better pass rusher than Clowney. For the Rams to win next year they have to fortify the O-Line and Secondary. He says Watkins is on par with Green and Jones.

Listen to Venturi Talk Rams

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All due respect, but Venturi's opinion means next to nothing to me anymore. I kind of soured on him last year when he often developed a case of the giggles when bashing players or the team as a whole. He let sensationalism get the best of him, and I hope that he's decided to put that behind him and become a voice of reason and objectivity, instead of leaning towards being another one of the STL media that thrives on riling up a particular portion of the fan base.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's probably because venturi wouldn't know what to do with clowney. He always had a hard time scheming up good d.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
On par with Greene and Jones? I can actually see him being close with Jones because he's faster. No way in heck he's on par with Greene.

Straight. Up. Wrong.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
All due respect, but Venturi's opinion means next to nothing to me anymore. I kind of soured on him last year when he often developed a case of the giggles when bashing players or the team as a whole. He let sensationalism get the best of him, and I hope that he's decided to put that behind him and become a voice of reason and objectivity, instead of leaning towards being another one of the STL media that thrives on riling up a particular portion of the fan base.
Exactly my view...said well. It's like he became a jilted lover. I used to love and agree with just about every point, but now....Nope.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Me no listen to wash up Venturi....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
His points are valid concerning the draft approach, but nothing Earth shattering. It still bothers me that by picking Clowney at #2 you are drafting a rotational player. He may end up being a freak at DE...but we have not one, not two..but THREE very good DE's right now that all have productive years ahead of them. If Snisher plan to move somebody(Long? Hayes?) then it makes more sense to me. <------cue the "you can't trade Chris Long!" retort. :eek: Thats fine...but i don't think this team needs an overcrowded,over-schemed DLine when the OLiine has major holes.

Hell i'd rather draft Watkins over Clowney at #2 and i don't think we need another WR as badly as we do OLine, but Matthews/Robinson can be had at a lower slot.
Value is important i get that, but need plays a role for me also.

Rams have to trade down if Clowney is there. I look at Atlanta though, and they can theoretically just stay put at #6 and be almost guaranteed to have one of these five players sitting there: Mack(pass rusher), Barr(pass rusher) Matthews, Robinson or Lewan. All are needs and good value at #6.

This #2 pick of ours is making me nervous :cry:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Pretty much said what's been said here for months. Rather have Clowney than Watkins.

Alan

Legend
Well, for me it's just another example of RODites knowing more than the experts. I don't know how many times I've read us posting stuff about the Rams/Draft that I hear much later being said by the pundits. I swear these guys are lurking on this board. :ROFLMAO:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, for me it's just another example of RODites knowing more than the experts. I don't know how many times I've read us posting stuff about the Rams/Draft that I hear much later being said by the pundits. I swear these guys are lurking on this board. :ROFLMAO:

I know they are. I can show you things taken directly from this board. That's cool though. A little credit or shout out to the board would be nice.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I like Venturi. I don't agree with him on everything, but at least he knows the game. Listening to him break down opponents and hearing his post game analysis are more my bag though. Like I said sometimes I don't agree with it, but at least he makes sense and isn't just the equivalent of giving a PD poster a mic. Which is pretty much 90% of radio these days.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He was the guy that wanted Adrian Clayborne over Robert Quinn.
chuckle.gif

And as I recall, Tony Softli said he would have taken him off the board.:D

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Venturi provides a little more insight here, which is a very different message than what was presented in subject line of this thread.

Streamed live on Apr 8, 2014

St. Louis American sports columnist Palmer Alexander III and Ishmael H. Sistrunk present Rams Roundup. This week's special guest is former Rams assistant coach and defensive coordinator Rick Venturi. Coach Venturi shares his thoughts on the Rams upcoming draft prospects, the quarterback position, Gregg Williams' return to St. Louis as well as takes us down memory lane with some of the greatest memories of his storied career.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Venturi provides a little more insight here, which is a very different message than what was presented in subject line of this thread.

Streamed live on Apr 8, 2014

St. Louis American sports columnist Palmer Alexander III and Ishmael H. Sistrunk present Rams Roundup. This week's special guest is former Rams assistant coach and defensive coordinator Rick Venturi. Coach Venturi shares his thoughts on the Rams upcoming draft prospects, the quarterback position, Gregg Williams' return to St. Louis as well as takes us down memory lane with some of the greatest memories of his storied career.

Good discussion.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Some of the stuff he says is just plain silly. He does know more football than most guys, but...I just don't agree with a lot of his theories.

Rick Venturi (born February 23, 1946) is a former American football player and coach. He served as the head coach at Northwestern University and as longtime National Football League assistant coach known for his defense. As the head coach at Northwestern from 1978 to 1980, Venturi's record was 1–31–1. He coached the beginning segment the Northwestern Wildcats' NCAA Division I record 34-game losing streak. Venturi has served as the defensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints, and St. Louis Rams. Venturi also served as an interim head coach, in 1991 with the Colts and 1996 with the Saints. As a head coach in the NFL, his career record stands at 2–17.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Venturi