Cleveland Browns' Garrett suspended indefinitely

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
drunk seems like an appropriate tag for ya... "helmet tap"

giphy.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I haven't really processed this idea of filing criminal charges yet. My initial reaction is fuck no. Just move on.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I haven't really processed this idea of filing criminal charges yet. My initial reaction is fuck no. Just move on.

Well, it's all up to Rudolph, isn't it?

In his presser he didn't do anything to diffuse the incident either.
Calling it bush-league and cowardly.
Dude is taking zero accountability for going after Garrett's hat first - all he says is Garrett was coming after him and he called the guy a "bully" as if the instigator (himself) is some innocent white dove.
Fuck that guy,
A reporter finally asks him why he kept pursuing Garrett after he had been seemingly pulled away and his response was that he "had a bone to pick with him," and he "was angry." So I mean what gives? The dude should take responsibility for his part in the skirmish.
The dude makes no mention of his obvious frustration due to getting his ass handed to him all night, and reacting to rip off Garrett's hat off.
I mean what was this dude gonna do if he had actually been strong enough to rip Garrett's helmet off? Hand it back with a love note? No way, he'd try and hit the guy. But yeah, it sucks for Myles Garrett that he has stronger than Rudolph and was able to do what Rudolph could not.
I don't get the "cowardly" remark either. He could have said a word like "stupid," "violent," "crazed," but not cowardly. By definition, Garrett was the opposite of a coward, he actually did show up in the challenge of his rival (insert Frank Stallone reference here).
Anyway
I don't know, to me this Rudolph guy is an ass.
So I wouldn't put it past him to try and play the victim as long as possible before eventually declining to press charges. Eventually.

I am with you. This is totally a fuck no, move on situation.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Dude is taking zero accountability for going after Garrett's hat first - all he says is Garrett was coming after him and he called the guy a "bully" as if the instigator (himself) is some innocent white dove.
Fuck that guy,
A reporter finally asks him why he kept pursuing Garrett after he had been seemingly pulled away and his response was that he "had a bone to pick with him," and he "was angry." So I mean what gives? The dude should take responsibility for his part in the skirmish.
The dude makes no mention of his obvious frustration due to getting his ass handed to him all night, and reacting to rip off Garrett's hat off.
I mean what was this dude gonna do if he had actually been strong enough to rip Garrett's helmet off? Hand it back with a love note? No way, he'd try and hit the guy. But yeah, it sucks for Myles Garrett that he has stronger than Rudolph and was able to do what Rudolph could not.
I don't get the "cowardly" remark either. He could have said a word like "stupid," "violent," "crazed," but not cowardly. By definition, Garrett was the opposite of a coward, he actually did show up in the challenge of his rival (insert Frank Stallone reference here).
Anyway
So I wouldn't put it past him to try and play the victim as long as possible before eventually declining to press charges. Eventually.

Well like i said, i haven't fully processed that aspect yet. I think we disagree on the whole incident.
I posted my take on what i saw on page 5.
I'm not putting a whole lot of blame on Rudolph to be honest.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give Garrett the rest of the year off. If he ever does anything that stupid again, lifetime ban. Give Pouncey one game. Fine Rudolph. Move on.

Kevin

Pro Bowler

Fuck that guy,
Anyway

I laughed out loud when Ogunjobi knocked Rudolph down while he was holding out his arms and acting all around incredulous.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Fuck that guy,
Anyway

IMO it goes back to Garrett not seeing the ball come out because of where he was, so he's thinking he's got a sack. The announcer, (Buck?) even said it was a sack and said he was going to get DPOTW honors. Aikman say's essentially "you're giving that to him right now?"

At that point Rudolph went after Garrett literally the moment they were on the ground which started the chain of events. It was a meaningless play with time nearly out. Watch the video I posted and freeze it at 1:26/1:27. Again even the announcers didn't see the ball come out and in real time speed I didn't see it either. In slo-mo I saw it. Watch what Rudolph does.......he initiates a fight.

It wasn't even a hard tackle/sack by the way. Rudolph feels like it was a dirty hit because he knows he threw the ball. But watch the video, he is already essentially "in the grasp". There is no way Garrett could have known the ball was out.

Now go to 1:46/1:47. Rudolph is on the ground trying to rip off Garret's helmet. And that's where the fight starts. The fight was initiated by Rudolph.

@Mojo Ram there is NO WAY the ball kick was incidental. Watch the video. TWO of Rudolph's team mates have successfully pulled Garret off of Rudolph. Rudolph then goes for the ball kick, just as Garret is grabbing his helmet and pulls it off. See 1:51 and the next few seconds.

Rudolph goes after Garrett and then Garret makes the worst possible decision of this entire clusterfuck, possibly of his career, and swings the helmet as his head.

This happens fast and both of these guys could have dialed it down.

Ogunjobi gets one game for shoving Rudolph to the ground while Rudolph get's out of this with nothing after starting the fight, the jamming his cleats into a guys balls. He should get a game off too.

Pouncey got 3 games, and that's fine. He threw punched and kicked a player in the head. One game isn't enough for that. Precedent exists for that.

The narrative is a player, Garrett, tore off another players helmet and hit him in the head with it. And that's true. But it ignores a lot of other stuff that happened.

I'm not defending what Garrett did, it's fucking hideous and he will get what he deserves.

But Rudolph should not walk away without something. He was the instigator. Just watch the film.

I'm not putting a whole lot of blame on Rudolph to be honest.

I fucked up and didn't insert your post in the right spot.

You are dead wrong. read what I wrote.

If he gets up and yells at the ref and cusses him out for not calling a penalty NONE OF THIS HAPPENS. Instead he starts a fight after a bad day on the field.

As the saying goes "he started it".

I'm not excusing Garrett, he went WAAAAAYYYYYY out of bounds but Rudolph deserves a game off too.

The league has to smack down a few guys here, this shit was out of control.

oldnotdead

Legend
He should be banned form the NFL. Nothing another player says should make him react to that level. This is symptomatic of a deeper problem with the guy. Let him start his after the NFL career now. If the NFL is serious about reducing the violence in the game they need to make an example out of him. At the very least he should be stripped of all guaranteed money in his contract and made to to sit out an entire full year without pay. He's just another kid with mega money who thinks rules don't apply to hm.

Rudolph is no saint and he should also receive some punishment as well.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
As far as I know this is a one time transgression by Garrett. yes what he did was severe and deserves the suspension for the season. I do think some factions are going overboard in saying longer suspensions. Richie Ignonito has had multiple suspensions and is a true lunatic yet still plays in the NFL.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fuck that guy,
Anyway

Lol this can’t be your actual opinion. I’ve been following your back and forths throughout this thread and I get it. You think people are reacting disproportionately towards garret (or something) because of this you’ve launched yourself so completely on one side of the argument and are unwilling to budge. I’ve been there. We all have. You don’t need to admit it.

but did you actually just say this situation was just unfortunate for MG because he’s stronger than Rudolph?
Man o man

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Houston Astros are loving all the attention being shifted to this

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Not to brag but I'm tough as nails and I think he should be gone from the league. He used the helmet as a weapon with intent to serious injury. Nothing soft about wanting that behavior gone.
I don't think the intent was serious injury. If you look at the play closely , after the helmet was ripped off, he wasn't making further attempts to pursue Rudolph until he charged at him and then he swung the helmet. Now lets be honsest, helmets arent heavy. Should he be punished, yes. I just think the consequence is too extreme. No one was hurt from this.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think the intent was serious injury. If you look at the play closely , after the helmet was ripped off, he wasn't making further attempts to pursue Rudolph until he charged at him and then he swung the helmet. Now lets be honsest, helmets arent heavy. Should he be punished, yes. I just think the consequence is too extreme. No one was hurt from this.

A helmet weighs about 5 pounds and is nearly as hard as steel.

Had it gone badly Rudolph would still be in a hospital.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Lol this can’t be your actual opinion. I’ve been following your back and forths throughout this thread and I get it. You think people are reacting disproportionately towards garret (or something) because of this you’ve launched yourself so completely on one side of the argument and are unwilling to budge. I’ve been there. We all have. You don’t need to admit it.

but did you actually just say this situation was just unfortunate for MG because he’s stronger than Rudolph?
Man o man

I’m being somewhat rhetorical
I’m not excusing what Garrett did.
My comments have been towards those who want to see the guy locked up and kicked out for life. I mean you got guys like Rodney Harrison calling for him to be kicked out of the league - i mean Rodney Harrison, freakin’ Rodney Harrison. It’s just silly. And Rudolph could diffuse it all at any time but has chosen to behave as if he’s an angel. That’s all I’m attempting to point out

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whatever they do to Garrett long term, it shouldn't be done in the heat of the moment (a lesson Garrett needs to learn). He's out for the season, let him stew for a week or two while emotions calm down, then decide if it's just for the season or also covers part of next season.

Regardless of what the final penalty is, he needs to know that he used up any benefit of the doubt he had, at least for a long time. It crossed a line, and the league has to be harsh, so that everybody knows that the line should never again be crossed.