CJ. Anderson vs. Malcolm Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have always been in Brown's corner so to speak. When he first made the roster I loved the no-nonsense style he brought to our offense. Last preseason when Kelly looked so good too I knew he'd earn that roster spot.

But here's the thing... Well, two things:

1. CJ is better in this offense. Better fit and better back.

2. Brown and Kelly had a great opportunity last year to make names for themselves and they weren't available. CJ, meanwhile, was not only available and healthy through the end of season and playoffs, but he improved our offensive product with something we haven't had in a long time.

So personally I remain hopeful that CJ is kept around. Removes one more need and allows for draft picks to be spent on the lines, where the quality is in this draft.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’ll admit I’m not sure who I want right now. With Brown you can basically run the same offense as you do with Gurley. With C.J. you have someone who can take it straight up the gut and make tacklers pay for trying to take him down.

But C.J. has a weakness in his game. He’s not considered a receiving threat like Brown or Gurley, meaning he’s easier for the defense to scheme against, plus he’s never going to beat you to the edge. There is also a glaring weakness, or at least possible weakness, in Brown’s game too. The last two seasons he ended the year on the injured reserve.

Is that a fluke, or does his body not hold up well to the wear and tear of a full season of football? There in lies the biggest question in my mind in all of this. With a healthy Brown the Rams don’t have to change a thing they’re doing on offense, but with C.J. they do, plus they make it easier for the defense with C.J. instead of Brown.

So I would prefer Brown, but I’m leary enough of his injury history that right now I’m actually 50/50.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
CJ doesn't have any offers (or visits to teams that I'm aware of) and it's looking more and more like he is going to be on the outside looking in for a 2019 job. There are still plenty of backs available and few openings. I'm sure many of those teams have an eye towards the draft as well.

If he's willing to come cheap to a team that treated him well, I think there's plenty of room for him and Brown on the roster.

I wonder if his agent is seeking a multi year deal for him? Its possible teams are reluctant because his sample size for 2018 is too small. And he's 28 years old playing a position where they tend to start slowing down by 30.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know I was wrong, dead wrong, about CJ's value. I thought for sure he'd be beating offers off with a stick. Its still amazing to me that he's had no offers, but there it is.

Ram65

Legend
I can't get over the big holes CJ had to run through.

I'm happy with Brown. He catches better and that's a big part of the Rams game. Brown seemed to step it up a notch last year. I think Kelly could be a good change of pace back in the near future. Go with Brown and have CJ on speed dial.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have always been in Brown's corner so to speak. When he first made the roster I loved the no-nonsense style he brought to our offense. Last preseason when Kelly looked so good too I knew he'd earn that roster spot.

But here's the thing... Well, two things:

1. CJ is better in this offense. Better fit and better back.

2. Brown and Kelly had a great opportunity last year to make names for themselves and they weren't available. CJ, meanwhile, was not only available and healthy through the end of season and playoffs, but he improved our offensive product with something we haven't had in a long time.

So personally I remain hopeful that CJ is kept around. Removes one more need and allows for draft picks to be spent on the lines, where the quality is in this draft.

The reason why I give Malcolm a pass on that is because McVay changed the offense when CJ came on board - I personally believe he would have done the same thing with Malcolm. The change came as a result to us losing two games in a row, and whether the RB was CJ, Malcolm, Todd, Kelly, me or you - I think we were going to see more emphasis placed on the run game.

CJ was awesome and I wouldn't dislike having him back (for the vet min.), but I want to see Malcolm in that role personally.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
While this is true, we don’t know what Brown would have done if given the starting opportunities like Anderson got in weeks 16 & 17. Maybe Brown would have done extremely well.

Or Kelly. That dude runs like the defenders stole money from his grandma...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds like CJ wants to be a starter. That's not going to happen with the Rams as long as Gurley is here.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brown light years over CJ as a receiver and why McVay chose him
train
*shrugs. CJ took over a game in the playoffs last year and helped a worn out Manning win a Super Bowl in Denver. He's proven. but it is what it is.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
To be honest,

I loved that CJ came in and played well, but in the end I feel that the only reason we saw him at all was because Brown went down followed by Gurley and we lost two games.

Brown had power, finesse and hands as a backup, but up to the point of his injury, Gurley was full steam and looking good so Brown never had any full games to play. If Brown isn't injured and played during Gurley's absence and in the playoffs, Brown would have been signed by another team for top dollar and we would be upset that we lost him.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Brown could say the same thing, CJ. What would he have done for us if he hadn't been injured? What could he do for us with a full 16?

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Brown could say the same thing, CJ. What would he have done for us if he hadn't been injured? What could he do for us with a full 16?

Difference is... CJA actually has real-world in-game NFL STARTER EXPERIENCE.

Brown... Not so much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I understand why so many are ripping on CJ's pass receiving. He's no Marshall Faulk for sure, but in his full seasons he averaged around 30 catches, 230 yards and a TD out of the backfield. Not horrible by any means.
Either way, I'm down with Brown....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think it’s safe to say that we will see more snaps for MB and fewer for Gurley in the future.

Just common sense, given Gurley’s knee condition.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In a perfect world they draft a RB who can return punts and kickoffs.

Next year might be the year they spend a decent pick on a guy that could be an every down back and future starter.