CJ. Anderson vs. Malcolm Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Malcolm had some good moments this year before his season ending injury. On "The Between the Horns" podcast, Farr was saying that although Anderson had a great game vs the Cardinals, he thought Brown would have done just as good.

I call BS.

CJ is better downhill runner than Malcolm, imo. If you asked me which one I'd take, all things being equal, it would be CJ. Unfortunately, all things are not equal. Some think CJ will earn a big payday, but I think at age 28 (?), no team is going to want to pay him top dollar after 2 years, so the contract overall won't be huge, but it will be more expensive than Brown's. Brown might be a better run after the catch guy than Anderson. CJ has an instinct for the hole and he hits it hard, which I really like.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Brown’s contract will be cheaper.

I very well could be wrong, but I think there’s a good chance CJ is back... His age... The overall state of this team (contender)... A significant role and carries share with Gurley. The Rams are a good landing spot for CJ.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brown’s contract will be cheaper.

I very well could be wrong, but I think there’s a good chance CJ is back... His age... The overall state of this team (contender)... A significant role and carries share with Gurley. The Rams are a good landing spot for CJ.
I hope so!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CJ will get a 4-5 mill per year deal with a team where he has a chance to get a good share of carries.
No way he passes that up to stay with the Rams.
Brown probably costs less than 1 mill

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CJ will get a 4-5 mill per year deal with a team where he has a chance to get a good share of carries.

I guess we need more info on Gurley, but I think the Rams will go above that Brown amount to ensure they have what they need as insurance w/Todd

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you may be right, but he didn't get it last off season after having had a great year with the Broncos, so would he get it after just a few games this year?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you may be right, but he didn't get it last off season after having had a great year with the Broncos, so would he get it after just a few games this year?
Because he wasn’t a free agent last year in February/March, Denver didn’t cut him until after FA was over in late April.
Different ballgame when teams have money to spend

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he wasn’t a free agent last year in February/March, Denver didn’t cut him until after FA was over in late April.
Different ballgame when teams have money to spend
We'll see soon.

…..

Legend
I thought Malcolm had some good moments this year before his season ending injury. On "The Between the Horns" podcast, Farr was saying that although Anderson had a great game vs the Cardinals, he thought Brown would have done just as good.

I call BS.

CJ is better downhill runner than Malcolm, imo. If you asked me which one I'd take, all things being equal, it would be CJ. Unfortunately, all things are not equal. Some think CJ will earn a big payday, but I think at age 28 (?), no team is going to want to pay him top dollar after 2 years, so the contract overall won't be huge, but it will be more expensive than Brown's. Brown might be a better run after the catch guy than Anderson. CJ has an instinct for the hole and he hits it hard, which I really like.
I get you man. I really do. But Malcom has a burst this year I was not expecting. I’m proud of the way he played. He still fits in quite well in my opinion.

Having said that, if it comes down to it, yes I would select Anderson as our #2

Brown will be the budget asset, but CJ is the production asset and I don’t think he’ll be too expensive but the Rams have a lot of decisions to make so we will see

Ram65

Legend
I like Brown better. Could be more experience in the offense. He blocks and catches the ball very well while he ran his best this year. CJ benefited from some great blocking. Price should be right too.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Loved what CJ brought at the end of the year - CJ turns 28 on Sunday. A lot of the talk surrounding him it sounds as if he's 33-35.

Having said that i was loving what Brown (26 years old in May) brought prior to his injury. Is a tough call.

One of the highlights of the season was his tip toe touchdown v the Saints in the regular season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loved what CJ brought at the end of the year - CJ turns 28 on Sunday. A lot of the talk surrounding him it sounds as if he's 33-35.

Having said that i was loving what Brown (26 years old in May) brought prior to his injury. Is a tough call.

One of the highlights of the season was his tip toe touchdown v the Saints in the regular season.
Yep, that was a great play by Malcolm vs the Chefs!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Whoever our #2 RB is, I hope they get way more carries in 2019-20 than Brown did this past season.

If it wasn't already, Gurley's durability is officially a concern. We should do our best to ensure he is as healthy as possible for any future runs deep into the playoffs.

Bonus: maybe McVay can figure out how to keep this offence firing on all cylinders even if TGIII goes down. That sure would have been useful during the Super Bowl, huh? And the Rams certainly have a roster that should be capable of winning several different ways. Gurley will always be the feature back. But we have been too reliant on him both for his own good (health) and that of the team (too one dimensional / easy to inoculate).

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I am a fan of Brown over CJ.

The area I am not familiar with is who is the better blocking....Brown or CJ?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on the price tag of course. I think the Rams are more likely to trust CJ as a full time guy, and I suspect that CJ will trust the Rams to keep him around more than another team, unless he gets a much better signing bonus elsewhere.

I suspect the Super Bowl increased the chances of CJ staying with the Rams - remembering though that the Rams are not in a good cap situation. Besides Donald's increasing cap hit, they pushed millions of Woods' and Whitworth's cap hit forward to 2019 and to a lesser extent 2020, as well as trading a 2nd and a 3rd over the last year, going all in for 2018. They have many needs, but a second string running back they trust is one of them. I think they trust Anderson more than Brown - especially coming off an injury.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I also believe that Malcolm Brown would have filled in admirable … he's developed into a solid and versatile RB....and he's a tough inside the tackle runner..and solid on special teams..

Ideally we keep both him and CJ.... look we kept 4 RBs around all year.... I see no reason why we can't keep 4 next year.... Gurley...CJ...Brown and Kelly....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also believe that Malcolm Brown would have filled in admirable … he's developed into a solid and versatile RB....and he's a tough inside the tackle runner..and solid on special teams..

Ideally we keep both him and CJ.... look we kept 4 RBs around all year.... I see no reason why we can't keep 4 next year.... Gurley...CJ...Brown and Kelly....
I saw promise with Brown, but he has never taken over a game like CJ did vs Dallas. Gurley helped, but it was Anderson who pounded Dallas, and that real experience is better than just the promise of what Malcolm might be able to do. JMHO.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
So if we sign Anderson we will have one back with a $12m cap hit and then we are going add another $4m - $5m?

7-9 season coming up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd say CJ would have the bigger impact. Not only is he a downhill runner but he short and wide. Guys like that are difficult to get down.

One concern with him though, is that he has a lot of hard miles on his body. He came in fresh. His veteran presence was great to have around and McVay has a known quantity. But, would he be as affective late in the season after a full season splitting time with Todd?

I'd like to sign both.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Brown is a better "fill in" back, as he lets us keep running the full offense. CJ is definitely better when we need to shove the ball down the opponent's throats.

We really missed the threat of the RB in the passing game the last couple games.