Chris Shula promoted to DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You mean that we actually should trust @Kupped?
1706837847111.png

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Shula turned chicken shit into chicken salad:

EJ: Continued to mature and be our 2nd best player on D

Hoecht: Coached him up enough to be serviceable at OLB even though his frame is more suited for DE/DT

Young: Top 10 defensive rookie as a day 3 pick.

Rozeboom, Hummel, and Reeder: Fortunate to make any team’s practice squad. Turned into serviceable players on the Rams.

Shula got the most out of these players. Interested in the next chapter.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
In the minority here but I think this is a good hire. Continuity in approach and a known quantity within the team: cohesiveness, culture and fit. No way this happens if there isn’t buy-in from AD99
You’re not in the minority. Mostly knee jerk reactions because some wanted retreads with bigger names but Shula has been with McVay since 2017. He has worked with several position groups ( linebackers and secondary) and was likely going to get poached by the Dolphins for their open DC position. Another great hire by McVay.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmm....we don't talk much about family trees here in Arkansas. Kind of a sore subject and all...

Although the word "sapling" does come up every now and then......

~ArkyRamsFan~
"We have to compare family tree's before dating down here in Ar-Kansas" ~ Arky

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
McVay took his time and interviewed a number of coaches for this DC position. McVay has worked with Shula for a number of years and knows him well. I trust this hire will turn out to be a positive move for the Rams.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
It's funny that you yawn.. it's the same damn thoughts the opposing offense had when game planning vs our Raheem defense.

Very surprised to see everyone hating on this hire. Let's see how he does first and give him a chance before bringing out the pitch forks.

I, for one, am excited to see how the defence looks with Shula at the helm. It will be something new which is always fun to see play out. McVay has done well with his defensive hires, picked Shula despite traditionally hiring from outside of the organization for DCs, and Shula apparently garnered outside interest too so clearly some smart football people thought highly of him.

Morris was good but not great. He will be trying to fill shoes of feasible size.

An internal hire also helps with stability. And assumedly, Shula will at least last 2+ seasons before being poached. Perhaps something the brass values right now after so much turnover.
Don’t confuse everyone with a couple of the people with multiple negative reactions. They don’t hear a name like Rivera or Vrabel and they immediately going negative regardless. Just look how poor the defense in Tennessee and Washington was this past season under those big names. Atrocious. Rams got their guy. Good hire.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Yeah. I am.

It's a hire than an organization like this shouldn't make. You can't tell me there weren't available coaches out there much better than Chris fn Shula.

I remember hearing the same things when McVay was hired.

Hell, even the Staley hire got grief.

Let’s wait and see. Maybe he has been held back.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Kudos to @JimY53 he had this.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not surprising but not super exciting either. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad hire he's just an unknown as far as play calling goes so I can't really get high or low on it. I trust McVay though so will be exciting to see how he develops. Rams fans have been burnt in the past by friend hires at defensive coordinators though so I understand the angst. Luckily our coaching staff and front office are top notch compared to some of our darker days.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First ever promotion to a coordinator position from within. Congrats to Chris rooting for the best. Sad all the negativity towards a guy most know jack shit about.

And Ernest Jones has been good from day one sorry.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm fine with Shula. We can't say he hasn't paid his dues. He's worked all over the defense. I'm fine with this hire. It's not flashy, but I think it'll end up with the vast majority wanting him to stay on as DC, much like with Morris.

methomas50

Rookie
Sean is IMO best coach in football. Got 10 wins out of a team that did not have 10 win talent, also IMO.

Last edited: