Chris Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tonyl711

Starter
does anyone think Quinn would be getting this many sacks without Long leaving the QB nowhere to run? and why when he went down was players saying we need Chris back? he is a team leader and the Defense feeds off of him. a team player in every sense of the word. way too soon to be thinking of replacing him IMO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think it may be part of their overall strategy -- and by year 5 the Rams brass has to have envisioned replacements for both - a MLB this year and DE next
I just think it is a bit soon to think of sending CL and JL of into the sunset!

I hope Long is around long enough to be part of a Championship run with this team.
Or Two or more!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect Chris to have a huge season and the Rams to re-sign him. His game isn't heavily dependent on speed, which are the types that degrade quickly as they age. His power and technique will make him effective or better for many more years IMO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sorry...but I'm looking to the future. Long and Laurinaitis are two of the most expensive players on this team in terms of overall salary. Ultimately, they're not going to be a part of the future forever. They are good players. They aren't players you look to replace. But would you take them over Donald/Brockers/Quinn?

Ultimately, our cap space is at 4.5 million when you look at the top fifty-one and the cap pool for draftees. Then you have to look at what we're eventually going to pay our players.

Gaines is playing at a paltry 536,198 in cap hit. We're lucky to have him at that cap hit. Westbrooks, Roberson, and Watts are even less. Bates, Cunningham, Mason, Alexander, Stacy, Rhaney, McDonald, Bailey, and Zuerlein are all playing at less than one million in terms of a cap hit. Joyner, Foles, Harkey, Jenkins, Johnson, Quick, and Ogletree are playing at less than two-million. You also have Donald, Austin, Robinson, Brockers, and Barron playing on their rookie deals.

All of them are going to be paid eventually, which means that contracts like Long and Laurinaitis are going to eventually be phased out. Not now, of course; if you don't have a replacement ready, then don't cut players like them.

Currently, the top five most expensive players in terms of cap hit in 2016 are as follows: Chris Long (14.2 million), Robert Quinn (11.1 million), Jared Cook (8.3 million), James Laurinaitis (6.4 million), and Rodger Saffold (6 million). That's not even counting players who haven't signed long-term deals yet.

Laurinaitis' cap hit in 2017? 8.3 million.

Sounds a little rich, right? Ultimately, you have to go with a core group of players and build around them in the salary cap era. Support them with players from the draft and UDFAs. That's the only way you're going to build a winning culture. It's harsh, but that's the reality of the situation. The Troy Polamalus of the world, who stay with one team their entire career, are very few and far in between.

This is exactly what I've been saying in the threads about the OL. The window is open now. If they don't fix the OL now and make a run the window will shut with all those players needing deals. The time is now, we don't need CL's replacement, we need replacements for 60% of the OL.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

chris long is getting paid what good edge rushers around the league are being paid. he is a known commodity while a cheap rookie is not. most of us were drooling over the possibility of getting clowney and in the end the rams were lucky he went #1.

when it is over for him the rams will tap him on the shoulder and let him know. they won't be hanging on to him for sentimental reasons.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I went to PFF to get stats and prove that 2014 was due to injury and that Long is a complete end who's value isn't only in sacks/pressures. I wanted to prove he is an upper echelon player.

What I saw was disappointing. His best production came in the first half of the 2012 season. Since then, he has accumulated mostly negative grades. And if we say PFF is full of CaCa, what does it mean that they rate Quinn and Donald so highly? BTW, Hayes and Fairley grade out well too. CL and JL are "faces" of the franchise. I'd prefer paying for "backbone".

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Everyone loves Chris Long the person. He's an every man.
But there's no reason to think that they couldn't upgrade his position after this season.
This year? Absolutely not. Next year? Why not.

Don't know about this X. He's a rock at Left End. So solid against the run and gets consistent pressure even against double teams. He's a beast. My concern the last two years has been his health and I think he's been playing through injury at times and it seems to have slowed him down.

I don't think he's easily replaceable and he's definitely not "upgradable" with anyone out there that I can see as being available. He's an easy guy to take for granted I fear.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Don't know about this X. He's a rock at Left End. So solid against the run and gets consistent pressure even against double teams. He's a beast. My concern the last two years has been his health and I think he's been playing through injury at times and it seems to have slowed him down.

I don't think he's easily replaceable and he's definitely not "upgradable" with anyone out there that I can see as being available. He's an easy guy to take for granted I fear.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think he's a liability in any sense of the word.
And I certainly didn't say he's easily replaceable.

But if a Robert Quinn type player came out next year, and we were in position to grab him, then why not?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

But if a Robert Quinn type player came out next year, and we were in position to grab him, then why not?
Good point. Then the NEW guy can play Back-up to Chris until he's done. Like Jack Youngblood did to Deacon Jones!!:D

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Hopefully there will be an equally good OL talent out we can draft instead so we can assemble a OL that matches our DL. Otherwise we'll just keep going 7-9.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone loves Chris Long the person. He's an every man.
But there's no reason to think that they couldn't upgrade his position after this season.
This year? Absolutely not. Next year? Why not.
Agree.

He's getting up there now... had his first significant injury last year... see how he rebounds...

But the good teams understand when a player has peaked and is on the downside and move on from them when they still have value in the market.

I love Long... always have... but it's a business.

lockdnram21

Legend
does anyone think Quinn would be getting this many sacks without Long leaving the QB nowhere to run? and why when he went down was players saying we need Chris back? he is a team leader and the Defense feeds off of him. a team player in every sense of the word. way too soon to be thinking of replacing him IMO.
Actually the key was Aaron Donald. Long is not worth the price tag he would cost next year

lockdnram21

Legend
I expect Chris to have a huge season and the Rams to re-sign him. His game isn't heavily dependent on speed, which are the types that degrade quickly as they age. His power and technique will make him effective or better for many more years IMO.
When is the last huge season Long has had

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Chris Long has been a Ram asset from the jump. His intangibles are off the charts, if you ask me.

But sooner or later, all good things must come to an end.

If an opportunity to draft his replacement should fall into our laps, we should strongly consider it.

For example, some have suggested Dupree this very year.

Long's body is probably on the downside and his salary is gonna be a problem as other player's contracts come up starting as soon as next year.

If we're smart, we should be planning ahead.

Same thing applies to J Lau, of course.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
May be easier said than done.
Long does not put up huge sack numbers but he does get a lot of good consistent pressure.
The knock on him when he came in was his ability vs. the run. Something he has gotten much better at. When a guy is a solid vs. the run, a team leader and is up towards the top of the league in QB pressures....he is a keeper to me.

I believe Robert Quinn is a little over rated.I was not able to go back after the season to view games.I had NFL rewind & the service was over faster than I thought.
I did get Dallas vs Rams & Quinn would loss containment from taking bad angles & did not stop the backside of the run.Sacks are great,but 2 plays like that a game really hurt.
Look back at Vikings last 2 times played.You can see Robert Quinn's speed & quickness chasing a runner going for a TD.I think Chris Long brings a little something extra to The Rams/ Either way the defense can always get better & I'm glad The Rams have both those bookends.Eugene Simms is underrated & can't wait to see the growth of Westbrook.Both players came from small schools & were a little bit of tweeters.Simms bulked up to be a good 4-3 DE,& Westbrook could fill into a good 4-3 DT ?? Got to like the small school guys that want to make it in the NFL

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO CL's best yrs as a starting LDE are behind him. Does not mean that he is done or not worth his sizable cap hit.I do expect him to rebound some but seasons like CL had back in 2011 & 2012 are long gone.

The production from the LDE was down dramatically last season. Four sacks between those two veteran LDE's. One might say that's because of the injury to CL & the out of shape slower William Hayes who was coming back from several off season surgeries. But the effectiveness on the side was not good. Even Sims who got a ton of extra time on the field only had 3 sacks same as he had in 2012.

Second yr DE/DT Ethan Westbrooks should be highly improved & could really push Hayes & never know even CL. Anyway you look at it the Rams are real extremely thick in good LDE's on our roster. If your looking for a cherry on top....Fisher just signed & brought back his Titans drafted pass rusher Akeem Ayers started the last four regular season games & then started in the playoff till the SB win ......as the Pats starting DE.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
in 2010 Long finished tied the 24th in the league in sacks (the year James Hall had a good year rushing the passer) with 8.5 sacks
in 2011 he was 7th in the league with 13 sacks
in 2012 he was 9th in the league with 11.5
and 2014 he was tied for 29th with 8.5 sacks.
The difference between being ranked nearly 30th and in the top 10 was 3 measily sacks. What make Long valuable is not the difference between 8.5 and 11.5 sacks it is the consistent pressure he gets. He has consistently been near the top in pressures.
Now, Long is 30 and not a huge guy for his position. If he starts having nagging injuries or loses a step he may not have a way to compensate for it. We will find out a lot this year.
Is he over paid? At his current rate probably, is he undervalued by fans, probably.
As for JL is cap number this is is about $4.2M and about $6.2M next year.
The team is not going to find a ore productive guy at a lower cap number really unless through the draft.