Chris Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Makes ya think when Fisher says "We could take a defensive end at 10"

paceram

Pro Bowler
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4707/chris-long

I would hate to see this happen if he does move on....Hopefully they can figure something out and restructure his contract. What do you guys think? IMO he is a TEAM LEADER on that defense more so than anyone else..

My thoughts exactly! Not only would the Rams lose a great football player (At least in my opinion) but they would be losing one of their key team (Not just for the Defense) leaders! While, I can understand their is a financial limit to what the Rams are willing to pay Long (Especially, if he continues to have health issues or does not play up to their or his standards) but like you mentioned, I hope he will be willing to restructure his contract so he and the Rams can agree to a long-term agreement!

A55VA6

Legend
I want Chris to be a lifelong Ram, but if his production decreases I could see them parting or make him take a pay cut/reduced role.

It would be quite interesting if Randy Gregory or maybe Vic Beasley is there at 10. I bet Fisher would be very tempted to select one of them.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Unfortunately I don't think you can sign the young guys like Brockers if we don't move on those huge contracts that were expertly crafted by Demoff - contracts like JL and CL - or rework them, I think it may be part of their overall strategy -- and by year 5 the Rams brass has to have envisioned replacements for both - a MLB this year and DE next

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is always the renegotiate route for more years and fewer dollars in 2016. He and his agent realize he won't get that as a FA, either.

I think the marriage between CL and the Rams is a good one.

paceram

Pro Bowler
There is always the renegotiate route for more years and fewer dollars in 2016. He and his agent realize he won't get that as a FA, either.

I think the marriage between CL and the Rams is a good one.

Agreed!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As long as Long continues being a well above average DE there is no reason to get rid of him. We don't need a Quinn at RE. Would it be nice to have? ofc. But good luck in that, no team has that while having players like Brockers and Donald(might as well include Fairley as well). Oh yea, we also have Sims and Hayes...

Now if Long doesnt want anything besides top money next year then thats a different story. I would like a truly elite end on the right side but Long is fine with me. He is better than 75%+ of the RE's in the league.

I think we have grown to accustomed to having an elite line where even a well above average player is looked at as a semi weak link.

*Now if we could somehow land Joey Bosa next year......thatd be a different story lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
People act like a talent like Long is easily replaceable and comes around every year. I guess they will find out one day.
they are...it's a damn shame, but really the way the contracts (CBA) are set up, you are sacrificing too much to keep a average player at the salary C-Long commands...Now if he were to take a home-town discount....
I like this guy a bunch
DupreeULM_cw.jpeg

lockdnram21

Legend
Chris Long is still playing at a high level and nothing indicates he can't for a few more years. Sack down? Yes, but the Rams have brought in Quinn, Brockers, Donald, Olgeltree, and other so I would expect his sacks to be down. The Rams have other needs besides replacing a very good player. If they draft his eventual replacement now instead of shoring up more needed positions then any hope of winning a super Bowl is gone because they will always be looking to replace aging players.
And JL, CL, and Olgeltree are not average replaceable players, far from it.
Tree is still young but I think with Donald and Quin on line C long will be able to be replaced. But it's more likely that JL is replaced first

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sorry...but I'm looking to the future. Long and Laurinaitis are two of the most expensive players on this team in terms of overall salary. Ultimately, they're not going to be a part of the future forever. They are good players. They aren't players you look to replace. But would you take them over Donald/Brockers/Quinn?

Ultimately, our cap space is at 4.5 million when you look at the top fifty-one and the cap pool for draftees. Then you have to look at what we're eventually going to pay our players.

Gaines is playing at a paltry 536,198 in cap hit. We're lucky to have him at that cap hit. Westbrooks, Roberson, and Watts are even less. Bates, Cunningham, Mason, Alexander, Stacy, Rhaney, McDonald, Bailey, and Zuerlein are all playing at less than one million in terms of a cap hit. Joyner, Foles, Harkey, Jenkins, Johnson, Quick, and Ogletree are playing at less than two-million. You also have Donald, Austin, Robinson, Brockers, and Barron playing on their rookie deals.

All of them are going to be paid eventually, which means that contracts like Long and Laurinaitis are going to eventually be phased out. Not now, of course; if you don't have a replacement ready, then don't cut players like them.

Currently, the top five most expensive players in terms of cap hit in 2016 are as follows: Chris Long (14.2 million), Robert Quinn (11.1 million), Jared Cook (8.3 million), James Laurinaitis (6.4 million), and Rodger Saffold (6 million). That's not even counting players who haven't signed long-term deals yet.

Laurinaitis' cap hit in 2017? 8.3 million.

Sounds a little rich, right? Ultimately, you have to go with a core group of players and build around them in the salary cap era. Support them with players from the draft and UDFAs. That's the only way you're going to build a winning culture. It's harsh, but that's the reality of the situation. The Troy Polamalus of the world, who stay with one team their entire career, are very few and far in between.

Athos

Legend
Would we draft Randy Gregory if he fell to 10 or is he projected to fall lower?

:sick:

No. Snisher should be fired if they draft that stick-figure pothead.

And I really don't know why people just underrate what Long brings to the table when he's on the field. So mystifying.

Now, JL55. Now, his production isn't really worth the contract, but are we paying for that or for his mind in directing the D?

V3

Hall of Fame
Everyone loves Chris Long the person. He's an every man.
But there's no reason to think that they couldn't upgrade his position after this season.
This year? Absolutely not. Next year? Why not.
What if one of the top DE's fell in the draft? Would you be opposed to taking that player and then trading Long for, say, draft picks/O-lineman? Don't know the cap ramifications for this year so it may not even be possible but what if it was?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm ready to find his successor and move on after 2015. He's never had more than 35 tackles in a season. He has never come up big in big time game defining moments either IMO. He's just average now IMO. I don't think there is any drop off between him and William Hayes. Unless they are in love with Ethan Westbrooks, draft a guy this year and develop him for the LE job next year. Long's money can be used to sign Brockers long term and put a little in the bank for when Donald is gonna get stupid money.
Defensive ends don't get measured off of tackles and he has played big in plenty of games to say he is average is disrespectful. There are not a lot of 4-3 defensive ends better than Long and we are lucky enough to have one as his teammate. Some times you have to appreciate what you have.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:sick:

No. Snisher should be fired if they draft that stick-figure pothead.

And I really don't know why people just underrate what Long brings to the table when he's on the field. So mystifying.

Now, JL55. Now, his production isn't really worth the contract, but are we paying for that or for his mind in directing the D?
Chris Long could be heading into his last year in St. Louis
Posted by Michael David Smith

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ld-be-heading-into-his-last-year-in-st-louis/

No NFL team has invested more resources in its defensive line than the Rams. But the centerpiece of that defensive line may be heading into his last season in St. Louis.

Chris Long, the Rams’ 2008 first-round draft pick who has developed into a very good defensive end, could be looking at a make-or-break year in 2015. Nick Wagoner of ESPN writes that unless Long has a big year in 2015, the Rams may decide he’s not worth the money and release him in 2016.

The money the Rams have invested in Long is substantial: Last year he counted a whopping $17.9 million against their cap despite playing in just six games and finishing the season with a grand total of one sack. This year his cap hit declines but is still a hefty $12.5 million, and next year his cap hit is $14.25 million. If Long isn’t playing at a Pro Bowl level in 2016, that $14.25 million would be hard to justify in 2016.

The Rams have an expensive defensive end on the other side of the line in Robert Quinn, and they’ve spent first-round picks on defensive tackles Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers. On top of that, last month they signed defensive tackle Nick Fairley. Add it all up, and the Rams have invested a lot in the defensive line.

Eventually, teams that invest that much in one position group find that they have to allocate some of their resources elsewhere. Next year may be the time that the Rams decide they need to spend on other positions, and move on from Long.
As long as Fisher is the head coach his defensive line will always take priority. People complaining about his cap number when that season that year haven't even came. Nothing about CL makes me think he wouldn't restructure and the way Snead do contracts I'm are they have wiggle room to ad more space. I'm definitely glade some of you are not in charge of the Rams. The team would be full of thumpers missing games left and right and athletic guys with no heart no soul only wanting a payday

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As long as Fisher is the head coach his defensive line will always take priority. People complaining about his cap number when that season that year haven't even came. Nothing about CL makes me think he wouldn't restructure and the way Snead do contracts I'm are they have wiggle room to ad more space. I'm definitely glade some of you are not in charge of the Rams. The team would be full of thumpers missing games left and right and athletic guys with no heart no soul only wanting a payday

They can't restructure his contract any further. He's a free agent in 2017. All of the restructured money would go to 2016, and no cap wizard like Demoff would ever screw his team like that.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I
They can't restructure his contract any further. He's a free agent in 2017. All of the restructured money would go to 2016, and no cap wizard like Demoff would ever screw his team like that.
I don't know the specifics of his contract but I'm sure the front office knows how to handle it. And not to mention the rise in the cap that is going to happen this might be a moot point. That's really all I'm saying it's too much time and too many variables to be worried about a player that we don't have to be worried about.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He has never come up big in big time game defining moments either IMO
Be careful with absolutes. They happen to be my pet peeve.
What if one of the top DE's fell in the draft? Would you be opposed to taking that player and then trading Long for, say, draft picks/O-lineman? Don't know the cap ramifications for this year so it may not even be possible but what if it was?
I don't think I'd be down with trading experience for inexperience - particularly in Williams' system. I would, however, be okay with drafting one as a spot back-up if he was high on their board and BPA at the time. Can never have too many pass rushers.