Chandler Brewer Often Overlooked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I never understood the Havenstein hate. He has his flaws, but is a solid RT. Along with Whitworth, He adds some much needed experience to a generally young offensive line. He's very strong in the running game and always plays hurt. It might well be wise to look to move on shortly, as I'm not sure how much more he'll have left before his feet slow down and his weakness against speed rushers can be exploited so badly and often that he's no longer a viable option. Or, alternatively, that he can simply be supplanted by a younger player at a fraction of the cost. But expect him to be a key cog in the 2021-22 season, at a minimum. I'd be quite surprised if anyone can beat him out at RT.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'll give the guy cred when I see some consistent production from him. We saw the danger of crowning guys early with Boom. No need to do that. Win a job dude.
Yup totally agree with your approach there. McVay has to do the sell job for him cuz that's what he has to work with. I'll believe it when I see it. Now with that said, one of these big hogs needs to step up big time or hopefully we can still pick up a vet for our IOL.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
as Allen has added about 5 lbs of muscle. His squat stature allows him to play with leverage and the added bulk should add sand to his play. Brewer opted out last year but he did play 17 offensive and 31 STs snaps as a rookie in 2019. So he's not without some experience.

It will be interesting to see how Carberry builds his line.

Brian Freaking Allen, Brian Allen from Michigan State as I try to wrap my head around this. IMO, neither Allen or Brewer will start and I like Brewer, plus I guess I will give Brian Allen a new look, although through dry eyes.

nighttrain

Legend
Brian Freaking Allen, Brian Allen from Michigan State as I try to wrap my head around this. IMO, neither Allen or Brewer will start and I like Brewer, plus I guess I will give Brian Allen a new look, although through dry eyes.
I'm really interest in your take on Allen Den, please keep us up to date on what you see and think
train

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
T Whitworth 6'7", 330 (39 yrs old; 220 starts)
T Havenstein 6'8" 330 (28; 84)

T Noteboom 6'5" 321 (25; 15)
T Brewer 6'5" 320 (23; 0)
T Jackson 6'6" 318 (22; 0)
G Edwards 6'6" 308 (24; 24)
G Corbett 6'4" 306 (25; 24)

G Evans 6'4" 312 (24; 14)
G Anchrum 6'2" 314 (22; 0)
G Demby 6'5" 321 (24; 1)
C Allen 6'2" 303 (25; 9)
C Shelton 6'4" 299 (25; 0)
C Meredith 6'3" 302 (n/a; 0)

They have 4 returning starters (5 counting Noteboom), 3 other guys with starting experience, 3 guys with 0 starts and 2 rookies. Will Carbury gather together a group capable of being a decent OL? That is the 20 million dollar question but McSnead thinks he can.
They usually keep 9 on the active roster so it'll be interesting to see who gets the boot and will make it through waivers to the PS.

I'm assuming it we'll keep Noteboom/Evans/Brewer/Anchrum, and Shelton and Allen will battle for backup C.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
He played on the right side a little bit in 2019 and got beat like a drum.
Maybe he hadn't regained his full strength from going through cancer treaments.
That's also why he opted out last year. Cancer history and covid don't go together well.
Hopefully this is the year he contributes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They usually keep 9 on the active roster so it'll be interesting to see who gets the boot and will make it through waivers to the PS.

I'm assuming it we'll keep Noteboom/Evans/Brewer/Anchrum, and Shelton and Allen will battle for backup C.
I Concur, keeping Nine most likely:

LT...Whitworth/Noteboom
LG...Edwards/Shelton
C...Corbett/Shelton
RG....Evans/Anchrum
RT...Havenstein/Brewer

Barring Injury, Brian Allen with a good camp could force them to keep 10, however, one would surmise they would keep nine.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe we all wanted a new toy? But yeah, looking at our line Whitworth / Edwards / Corbett / Evans / Havenstein... It’s solid.

Guys like Noteboom, Brewer, Anchrum, etc look to be solid depth. All young players themselves.

The new WR outside speed keeps teams from crowding the line.

(y)

Yep, I like new toys when it comes to almost all other positions however........when it comes to the OL unit primed & ready to enter into the regular season I prefer the older wiser worn-out looking toys who know how to work together in a smooth blocking operational machine with the battle scars plus gray & white peppered hair/beards.

Ram's were without Chandler Brewer last season so he would be considered a returning lost son for this team. As @Riverumbbq stated I had the ability to watch all four preseason gms back in 2019 in HD. No Thanks to the US Government involvement this year in Satellite TV services & them determining what I can watch & pay for they took my LA CBS feed that I had had since the beginning here in NWFL with Direct TV now & I had one option to buy a local Panama City CBS channel instead.

I had the time in preseason in 2019 to rewatch & rewind each snap of all the Ol'ers who lined up & play. From my point of view, Chandler Brewer looked like Whitworth was out there taking snaps next to what we saw from other rookies like Bobby Evans & David Edwards & others. The fact was Bobby Evan's pre-season performance was much worst than Demby's.

I do NOT consider Bobby Evans a good solid prospect to start @ OG!

I can clearly see why the Rams did not see the need to draft any OL'ers in this past draft. It's obvious that they have future plans to sign a few of next year's UFA's Ol'ers back into the contingent.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
Yep, I like new toys when it comes to almost all other positions however........when it comes to the OL unit primed & ready to enter into the regular season I prefer the older wiser worn-out looking toys who know how to work together in a smooth blocking operational machine with the battle scars plus gray & white peppered hair/beards.

Ram's were without Chandler Brewer last season so he would be considered a returning lost son for this team. As @Riverumbbq stated I had the ability to watch all four preseason gms back in 2019 in HD. Thanks to the US Government involvement this year I lost my LA CBS feed here in NWFL with Direct TV now & had to buy a local Panama City CBS channel instead.

I had the time in preseason 2019 to rewatch & rewind each snap of all the Ol'ers who lined up & play. From my point of view, Chandler Brewer looked like Whitworth was out there taking snaps next to what we saw from other rookies like Bobby Evans & David Edwards & others. The fact was Bobby Evan's pre-season performance was much worst than Demby's.

I do NOT consider Bobby Evans a good solid prospect to start @ OG!

I can clearly see why the Rams did not see the need to draft any OL'ers in this past draft. It's obvious that they have future plans to sign a few of next year's UFA's Ol'ers back into the contingent.
and maybe a free agent left tackle when big Whit decides to call it a career?
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I Concur, keeping Nine most likely:

LT...Whitworth/Noteboom
LG...Edwards/Shelton
C...Corbett/Shelton
RG....Evans/Anchrum
RT...Havenstein/Brewer

Barring Injury, Brian Allen with a good camp could force them to keep 10, however, one would surmise they would keep nine.
I agree with you on the total of 9 active OL'ers in this upcoming season.

I see it slightly different den, I would NOT pin & pencel in Evans @ RG so fast. I would imagine that Anchrum/ Brewer/Shelton will provide Evans much more hotly contested battle for that likely open RG post than most all ROD'ers think & more than Evans can stand up to.

Of course, I would bet on Brewer finally beating out Evans in the preseason providing a bigger huge mountain size right-side OL for Stafford's delight. I see Evans retaining the backup swing OT/OG role. IMO the Bobby Evans plan is for him to continue to grow with the plan to give him all the OT work he can earn & get to be ready for starting in the 2022 season. If Evans has a future starting in the NFL it's @ OT, not OG.

In addition, Coleman Shelton is another sleeper who will surprise & might find good favor with our new OL coach this bears watching. Shelton is one very mobile quicker battler OL'er who could prove really tough now entering his 4th NFL season after banging around with 3 teams & learning a good bit from it all. Rams will sure be looking to finally give interior OL'er Shelton a well-rounded versatile OL'er his first real tryout & break-in period before he heads towards UFA $$$ in March. Whereas there is no rush involving Brewer or Anchrum.

Now there's OG Jordan Meredith, OT's Max Pircher & Alaric Jackson entering into the ruckus.

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I agree with you on the total of 9 active OL'ers in this upcoming season.

I see it slightly different den, I would NOT pin & pencel in Evans @ RG so fast. I would imagine that Anchrum/ Brewer/Shelton will provide Evans much more hotly contested battle for that likely open RG post than most all ROD'ers think & more than Evans can stand up to.

Of course, I would bet on Brewer finally beating out Evans in the preseason providing a bigger huge mountain size right-side OL for Stafford's delight. I see Evans retaining the backup swing OT/OG role. IMO the Bobby Evans plan is for him to continue to grow with the plan to give him all the OT work he can earn & get to be ready for starting in the 2022 season. If Evans has a future starting in the NFL it's @ OT, not OG.

In addition, Coleman Shelton is another sleeper who will surprise & might find good favor with our new OL coach this bears watching. Shelton is one very mobile quicker battler OL'er who could prove really tough now entering his 4th NFL season after banging around with 3 teams & learning a good bit from it all. Rams will sure be looking to finally give interior OL'er Shelton a well-rounded versatile OL'er his first real tryout & break-in period before he heads towards UFA $$$ in March. Whereas there is no rush involving Brewer or Anchrum.

Now there's OG Jordan Meredith, OT's Max Pircher & Alaric Jackson entering into the ruckus.
I'm surprised you've been so quiet recently. You were one of the few that weren't concerned with the OL and predicted that it would not be prioritized in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t think Brewer is overlooked. It’s just that we Ave not seen much of him. He looked good in preseason and spot duty. Supposedly the coaches like him. But with a player with very limited snaps it’s difficult to say who he really is. So if he’s overlooked that is all it is. Overlooked is not the same as written off.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Heck, it's not even a sure thing that Corbett will be our Center, much less who will hypothetically take his spot at Guard.

But how deep are we these days when we can say that Anchrum, Brewer, Evans and Shelton are all in play as possibilities?

A huge difference from the Fisher years when we were so desperate for warm bodies that we were picking up guys with broken down knees or tick bit asses.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Heck, it's not even a sure thing that Corbett will be our Center, much less who will hypothetically take his spot at Guard.

But how deep are we these days when we can say that Anchrum, Brewer, Evans and Shelton are all in play as possibilities?

A huge difference from the Fisher years when we were so desperate for warm bodies that we were picking up guys with broken down knees or tick bit asses.
That is very true on Austin Corbett but it sure would be a smart move for him to strongly consider moving to OC into his future if he wants to secure & prolong his playing close to home.

Corbett knows timing is important & it was good timing to have to meet Snead & his scout team in the 2018 Senior bowl. He also knows it was great timing when he was traded to LA from Cleveland back to the west where he was born raised & went to school studying to be a doctor while starting for 4 seasons @ LT for the NV Wolf Pack. In addition, AC belongs to the Walker River Paiute Tribe

AC proved to be a smart quick learner & ended up starting soon after his arrival @ LG for most of the 2019 season then the following season he started all the 18 gms @ RG. Last season PFF awarded AC with an overall grade of 71. AC grade jumped more than 20 pts after the 2019 season. AC only allowed just one sack all season long. He was especially good as a run blocker. AC was the sixth-ranked guard at SIS in 2020 & tied in “points” with all-pro Quenton Nelson of the Colts.

Rams have outstanding quality reserve OL personnel resourses to fill a vacated OG starting post. Several of these Ram OL'ers have close to a dozen each starts in the NFL. The Rams pool of center reserve does not come close to the same. AC with those massive huge mitts of his will help big @ center.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
From what I've see from Brewer, I would definitely consider him better than Evans. I'm hoping for a line up of Whit, Edwards, Corbett, Brewer, Hav
But if Anchrum can beat out Brewer, having Brewer Note and Evans as backups is some nice depth. Can't wait for the season to start.

I’m going to ask what game & at what point(down?) is Evans not better than Brewer ? Just going to go across the board to all the doubters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm surprised you've been so quiet recently. You were one of the few that weren't concerned with the OL and predicted that it would not be prioritized in the draft.
Yep. Credit where it's due. Boni has been a real supporter of the OL and its depth chart that's for damn sure.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m going to ask what game & at what point(down?) is Evans not better than Brewer ? Just going to go across the board to all the doubters.

That's easy, but you'll have to look up the teams we were playing yourself. The four 2019 pre-season games are where Brewer showed his dominance. A few of us were a bit disgusted that Allen didn't play in those games, and these same four games are where Demby looked pretty much useless. The coaching staff chose for some reason to move Evans, Edwards, Demby & Brewer all over the place rather than to just pick a position or two for them to get a better feel for. Brewer won the pre-season, then there was a slight drop off with Edwards, a greater drop-off with Evans, and Demby couldn't seem to get anything right. No starters on the OL got pre-season game play in, and that includes Noteboom & Allen. The two Centers the Rams had used for the pre-season games are no longer in the league, and Coleman Shelton was brought in cold just days before the season began. Whitworth stayed relatively healthy throughout 2019, although Brewer did get about 20 regular season snaps at LT working behind him, without any apparent drop off.