Celebration Thread: Packers@Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL seemed off, maybe Sully is dinged up? Saffold?

We did not run outside near enough today.

Yeah, the Oline struggled... especially at first. But they seemed to stabilize as the game went on. Goff appeared to have more time when he dropped back in the second half. Those first three series? Ouch!

I thought McVay got too pass happy. GB came in with e good passing defense and a pedestrian run defense.
Then, Goff gets sacked on third down like three times in a row?

I wanted McVay to run Gurley and stick with that for a while:
Gets Olinemen "in the game" more
Probably would have broken for a big one
Makes pass-actin so much more effective.

Also, was wondering where the jet sweeps had gone and why not screens? GB blitzed a lot, especially in the beginning. Throw some screens to Gurley, I kept thinking.

Hey, they won and I am damned glad for it and - as some others have said - good team find ways.

But I think the play calling was not top shelf... had it been, might not have been as close.

Of, and that secondary make me drink copious amounts of beer!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure wish we coulda interviewed Kyle Shanahan a couple years back.

:hiding:
Careful... SF is still dangerous... they were just hit with injuries I hope the Rams never have to endure.

In the words of Skip Useless, I'm still not sold on GrabMyPole... we'll find out next year (unless he becomes Sam Bradford :LOL:)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think missing Kupp is a bigger deal than some folks might have thought...I think getting him back (hopefully next week) will be huge...
I agree... but they won without him.

That's the important thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We won on some great plays down the stretch. It wasn’t a pretty game and we gave up a lot of stupid plays but we WON. 8-0 baby.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
1= we not me award goes to gurley (you know why)
2= best catch award goes to cooks for 2 hands under low ball catch
3= special plays award goes to special teams for 3 great plays
4= momentum changer award goes to barren for safety tackle
5= takes a licken and keeps on ticken award goes to goff for taking a beating but coming though in the end
6= pursuit of greatness award goes to Donald for his pursuit of greatness
7= adjustment award goes to son of bum for guess what ajustments
8= keep us whole award goes to training staff for keeping us whole (I have not heard of any injurys)
a
n
d
0= bad award goes to refs not calling holding on gb d backs and calling holding on saffold for what happens to donald all the time

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We won on some great plays down the stretch. It wasn’t a pretty game and we gave up a lot of stupid plays but we WON. 8-0 baby.
Yup... they didn't add 10 points to the final score last week when we took SF behind the woodshed. ;)

xander47

Rookie

Ram65

Legend
I like rewatching the game/plays to gain perspective. Special teams started the turn around late in the first half. Two deep punts after gaining extra yards on the punt/pass. The last punt fielded by Sam Shields inside the one yard line set the stage for the Rams first two points via a safety which shifted the MO before the half. Ramik Wilson sets up TG to close the game out not allowing a Aaron Rodgers comeback attempt. Johnny Hekker has been a little off this year. In this game the Rams really needed a spark and he delivered.

In the middle of the special team heroics the Rams offense and defense made big plays. Aaron Donald and Co got some big stops on Rodgers and the Packers. The Rams offense got going with great throws and catches. Goff made plays against a well designed Packers defense that had the Rams off balance most of the first half. It took a team effort to get a win over a rested and healthy Packers team that is fighting for a playoff spot.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

Wow, the Reynolds routes.... gonna call him Reynolds Wraps. Throw him a pass & it's a wrap. Great performance by him to show his route running acumen.
Seriously why couldn't Britt & Tavon get this kinda stuff, but Reynolds does?? is it the affect that Woods, Cooks & Kupp are having on him? we're building a really nice WR room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wow, the Reynolds routes.... gonna call him Reynolds Wraps. Throw him a pass & it's a wrap. Great performance by him to show his route running acumen.
Seriously why couldn't Britt & Tavon get this kinda stuff, but Reynolds does?? is it the affect that Woods, Cooks & Kupp are having on him? we're building a really nice WR room.

I think it's two parts: unlike the previous regime this staff emphasizes teaching of routes and unlike the other two you mention it's clear that Reynolds has actually been working hard to improve. As McVay said he stepped up big time in this game and it was great to see it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ek-8-los-angeles-rams-29-green-bay-packers-27

Refocused, NFL Week 8: Los Angeles Rams 29, Green Bay Packers 27
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM

LA-Rams-Header-2017.png

Quarterback Jared Goff wasn’t perfect and missed on more throws than usual due to his offensive line struggling to protect him, but he made enough big plays to win the game. Oddly enough, the Rams didn’t run a single screen all game long after averaging about five per game coming into the week.

Running back Todd Gurley has received a lot of MVP talk because of his gaudy stats but was mostly held in check as a runner and didn’t break 100 yards until his final run. His offensive line opened up a lot of running lanes, especially in the second half. He also made a spectacular catch down the sideline off a deflection.

Another day, another monster performance for arguably the best player in football right now, Aaron Donald. He had two sacks, knocked him down a couple more times and generally kept the pressure on him for much of the game.

It wasn’t the best outing for Los Angeles’ cornerbacks. Troy Hill gave up a deep touchdown after whiffing on a jam, and Marcus Peters was beaten by Davante Adams for a few catches and gave up at least one deep pass, as well.

GB-Packers-Header.png

Rookie cornerback Jaire Alexander was excellent in coverage, as he broke up five passes on nine targets. He battled Brandin Cooks for a good chunk of the day and while he did get beat on a couple of occasions, three of the six targets thrown Cooks’ way were broken up by Alexander. He’s currently battling Browns rookie cornerback Denzel Ward for top rookie CB.

Mike Daniels was a monster on the interior, as he racked up several pressures and a couple of run stops. He did most of his work against center John Sullivan, who struggled all game long against anyone he was facing.

Aaron Rodgers hit on a few deep passes, including a touchdown to Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who had torched Rams’ Hill off the line. But uncharacteristically, Rodgers missed on several short-to-intermediate throws, and it seemed he fared far better when he wasn’t under pressure.

On the outside, tackles David Bakhtiari and Bryan Bulaga were pretty solid, but guards Lane Taylor and Byron Bell struggled mightily.

Keys to the Game

Los Angeles

The Rams’ offense, despite scoring 27 points (two to a safety), seemed out of sync all game. However, Goff was able to overcome a lackluster first half and delivered big in the second half.

Green Bay

The Packers’ defense held the Rams to a field goal to set up a potential two-minute game-winning drive opportunity, but a fumble by Ty Montgomery kept Rodgers on the sideline and effectively sealed a Rams win.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...-ryan-fitzpatrick-todd-gurley-michael-dickson

The Winners and Losers From NFL Week 8
By Rodger Sherman

Loser: Everybody Besides Todd Gurley
Scoring is too easy for Gurley. Sometimes he decides not to score to spice things up a bit.

View: https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1056694992318685184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1056694992318685184&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F10%2F29%2F18036996%2Fweek-8-winners-losers-ryan-fitzpatrick-todd-gurley-michael-dickson

Gurley stopped running because the Rams were up by two points with under a minute left. If he’d scored, the Rams probably still would’ve won—they would’ve gone up nine, which would have forced the Packers to score a touchdown, recover an onside kick, and kick a field goal with no timeouts—but hey, better safe than sorry. Because he held up, the Rams were able to end the game by kneeling.

However, Gurley’s decision had major impacts outside of the Coliseum.

• The spread in this game was Rams -7.5. If Gurley would have scored, the Rams would have covered, even without hitting the extra point. But he didn’t.
  • The over/under in this game was 57. There had been 56 points scored when Gurley was running. Even a field goal would have pushed the game over, but by picking up a first down and remaining in the field of play, Gurley ensured that the game would stay under.
  • And of course, Gurley is the most important fantasy football player in the NFL. He had another dominant day, giving the lucky jerks who got the no. 1 pick in their leagues a solid 25.5 points. But they could’ve had six more if he’d just kept moving forward. Surely, fantasy matchups across America were decided based on Gurley’s choice.
Players have passed up touchdowns to seal wins before, but I can’t remember a choice as impactful as Gurley’s. It flopped every possible way we degenerates have invented to make football more interesting, ruining the days of exactly half of the people who cared.

Loser: Whoever Was Responsible for Painting the Rams’ Field
Have you ever watched those videos where the stadium staff at a sports arena turns over the stadium for a new sport? They’re magical. The work done by arena employees—generally in the dead of night, with nobody watching, for little money—is incredible.

I would like to watch a time-lapse of whatever happened at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum between Saturday’s USC home game and Sunday’s Rams home game.

View: https://twitter.com/Riley_McAtee/status/1056644442285780992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1056644442285780992&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F10%2F29%2F18036996%2Fweek-8-winners-losers-ryan-fitzpatrick-todd-gurley-michael-dickson

View: https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1056649365308108802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1056649365308108802&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F10%2F29%2F18036996%2Fweek-8-winners-losers-ryan-fitzpatrick-todd-gurley-michael-dickson

The stadium crew didn’t even try to fully obscure some of the on-field USC imagery, and when they did, they apparently used transparent paint that still allowed viewers to see the stuff painted under it. Considering the amount of visiting fans in the stadium, I wasn’t sure whether I was watching a Rams home game, a USC home game, or a Green Bay home game. It’s the worst paintover I’ve seen since Kenyon Martin decided he didn’t want Trina’s lips tattooed on his neck anymore.

This is the first time the Rams and USC have played home games in the Coliseum on the same weekend this season, although it did happen multiple times last year, and I don’t recall the field being semi-Trojan. There are a lot of teams with similar arrangements!

The Steelers share Heinz Field with the Pitt Panthers, the Dolphins share Hard Rock Stadium with the Miami Hurricanes (somehow, Hard Rock Cafe, a restaurant chain based on the idea that people are willing to pay a lot of money to eat regular food near a bass used by Whitesnake in 1983, still exists and has enough swing to sponsor an NFL stadium), the Buccaneers share Raymond James Stadium with the USF Bulls, and the Eagles share Lincoln Financial Field with the Temple Owls.

And yet I can’t recall seeing a field so sloppily dealt with. Sure, you might see faint remnants of the college hash marks on the fields, nothing like this. It felt like a college football team had been trapped under the stadium by a pro football team and was trying to send a signal for help via subliminal end zone messages.

Maybe try opaque paint next time. I don’t even know why they sell transparent paint.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like rewatching the game/plays to gain perspective. Special teams started the turn around late in the first half. Two deep punts after gaining extra yards on the punt/pass. The last punt fielded by Sam Shields inside the one yard line set the stage for the Rams first two points via a safety which shifted the MO before the half. Ramik Wilson sets up TG to close the game out not allowing a Aaron Rodgers comeback attempt. Johnny Hekker has been a little off this year. In this game the Rams really needed a spark and he delivered.

In the middle of the special team heroics the Rams offense and defense made big plays. Aaron Donald and Co got some big stops on Rodgers and the Packers. The Rams offense got going with great throws and catches. Goff made plays against a well designed Packers defense that had the Rams off balance most of the first half. It took a team effort to get a win over a rested and healthy Packers team that is fighting for a playoff spot.

It was like with each consecutive punt hekker was tuning into his range. He had so little playing time that his kicks were not the best. When he had all those punts in the first half he got back into his groove. Just like the fisher days.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
HA! My eyes misread the thread's title, which I thought said "Celebration Thread: Rams @ Saints"
I was goin', "d@mn, Prime Time is getting out in front of his skis even more than I am!":cheers:

You can do all my stuff if you want.
How cool are these videos.

These last two videos deserve a thread of their own so everyone can see them. I'm not sure how many people will see them tucked away at the end of this thread.

Go for it. (y)