Case Keenum 3-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Great news!!!
Drafting a quarterback in the first or second is the cure all

That means when we draft a QB in the first or second we are gonna finally win a game in Seattle.... Oh wait we did win last week

Well still, if we draft a first round or second round QB we will finally have a chance to win, like the time we drafted HOF'er Sam Bradford. Man those were good times....
Oh wait that didn't turn out well...

Anyway sarcasm aside Case Keenum is gonna lead us to victory over the 49ers -- sorry everyone

Draft a QB in the first or second and you have a chance, but draft him in the third and he's rubbish - hilarious

I posted my proof of pretty much nearly every playoff QB and every QB in the top 25 being a 1st rounder or an early to mid 2nd.

Sorry if that doesn't jive with your illusions of 3rd round QBs meaning much.

Guys like Brady are the exception to the rule. Finding long term QB solidarity from a kid that wasn't a first rounder is playing Russian Roulette. The odds are far worse than a QB from the first amounting to much. That's just the history of the NFL speaking for the last several years if not decades.

The QBs worth taking usually go early because it's damn hard to find them and you don't want to pass when you do. The bust rate is high as hell because the position is hard. It just is.

I'm glad Keenum HELPED us get a win I. hagville. We all hate the shit out of that team and fan base. But let's not blow one game out of proportion or think we have any answers at the QB position.

Say we make Keenum the starter next year right now and he pulls a Foles, rookie or rookies we pass on pull a Carr by year two, and we are once again stuck with our dicks in our hands at the altar for a bride that never shows up

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think what some are missing, is the fact that no QB is going to put up video game numbers in this offense. When they throw it 30+ times in any given game, they are more than likely losing that game. That has nothing to do with who's playing the position, it's all about the system.

Keenum is doing EXACTLY what Fisher wants him to do. No sacks, no interceptions, no mistakes. People are getting on him because of his stats against Seattle, but that is what Fisher (the system) wants. I hope Keenum gets a chance to throw a little more against San Fran, so we can see more. Success+confidence+reps=better QB play. I believe Case's ceiling is higher. How much.... no one really knows right now. Be patient folks. Next year, Keenum will be battling it out with Mannion and one other QB. Foles will be traded as soon as some other team loses their QB to injury.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I posted my proof of pretty much nearly every playoff QB and every QB in the top 25 being a 1st rounder or an early to mid 2nd.

Guys like Brady are the exception to the rule. Finding long term QB solidarity from a kid that wasn't a first rounder is playing Russian Roulette. The odds are far worse than a QB from the first amounting to much. That's just the history of the NFL speaking for the last several years if not decades.

The QBs worth taking usually go early because it's damn hard to find them and you don't want to pass when you do. The bust rate is high as hell because the position is hard. It just is.

I'm glad Keenum HELPED us get a win I. hagville. We all hate the crap out of that team and fan base. But let's not blow one game out of proportion or think we have any answers at the QB position.

Say we make Keenum the starter next year right now and he pulls a Foles, rookie or rookies we pass on pull a Carr by year two, and we are once again stuck with our dicks in our hands at the altar for a bride that never shows up

You have it all wrong IMO. I don't think people are saying Keenum is the guy over the long haul. I'd be happy if they can draft a top QB, but I bet Keenum would out perform him next year and should be the starter if the rookie can't beat him out in Camp. Keenum could get the Rams in the playoffs IMO. He is elusive, accurate, has touch, leads and doesn't make dumb decisions. He finds open receivers and scans the field. If he was taken in round 3 most of you would be saying maybe he is a good stop gap. But because he was an UDFA many don't want to even entertain him leading the team at the beginning of next year. It's funny how so many were excited about Foles and it blew up. Keenum deserves an honest shot at being the starter next season. No Davis treatment.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“I’ll credit our offensive line and the offensive coaches and the game plan and Case (Keenum),” Fisher said. “We didn’t have a false start, we didn’t have a sack in one of, if not the toughest, places to play. I don’t think there’s many teams that can say they came in and out of here without either one of those two things.”

Beyond that, Keenum was barely touched by the Seattle pass rush. He ended the game with a clean uniform and a fresh body. Unofficial press box stats credited the Seattle defense with zero quarterback hits.

In case you’ve forgotten, Keenum is operating behind a line that consists of two rookies (right guard Cody Wichmann and right tackle Rob Havenstein), an undrafted center in his first full year as a starter (Tim Barnes), a journeyman at left guard (Garrett Reynolds) and a struggling high draft pick at left tackle (Greg Robinson).

How's this for relevant statistics? Sounds like Case is Fisher's guy right now..., the entire offense if playing better. Next season? Who knows.

Athos

Legend
It's funny how so many were excited about Foles and it blew up. Keenum deserves an honest shot at being the starter next season. No Davis treatment.

I wasn't. I was rather pissed for a week until I realized the sanity of just dumping SAMs salary because of injury concerns.

Deserves a shot? Yea. But there are many people in here with their panties in a bunch regarding those that just aren't excited about Keenum and believe we need a QB or those denying how inherently hard it is to hit pay dirt for even a single season of success from a guy that wasn't a 1st rounder or mid 2nd at the latest.

Just playing the numbers and they don't lie in this case.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's like pulling teeth with this crowd....The QB position is NOT like DB, WR, OT, hell, LB...You can find some great players at other positions later in the draft...Maybe even a QB....But it's not likely....percentage wise...;)
Everybody should realize we need another QB...Maybe Mannion is it...if he is, he should still battle a Rookie & Case for the starting job in 2016....Still don't think they eat Foles contract....Hope they do...Hope they can trade him but doubt that's possible....Maybe Andy Reid will come calling...

Ram Man

Rookie
Um, no. I would expect the Rams to have 4 quarterbacks going into training camp. The Rams don't save anything cutting Foles before then. There is good reason to value Keenum more than Foles, anyway. The cap savings keeping Foles is ash tray change for an NFL team, anyway. $750k for a QB is nothing.

I expect the Rams to try to resign CK, keep Foles and Mannion, and try to get either a good rookie or a solid vet also. Even if they can resign Keenum they keep Foles to training camp, unless they can trade him for something worthwhile and they can pick up somebody else they want - either a good draft pick (I don't expect them to trade up though) or a vet they like too.

A few thoughts:

Rams will certainly have 4 or more QB's in training camp.

No team will trade for Foles after the season he just had. In fairness to Foles, he's probably a better quarterback than he showed this year. Not saying he will ever be a good QB again, but his stock is at an all-time low and the Rams know this.

Because Keenum is a restricted free agent, the Rams will make sure they have the absolute right to control whether he stays or goes. On March 15th (1st day of new league year) the Rams must decide whether or not to submit a qualifying offer to their restricted free agents. If they do decide to submit a qualifying offer to Keenum, the Rams must decide at what level (1st round/2nd round/original round). By making a qualifying offer to Keenum the Rams have the right to match any contract offer made by another team. The Rams will almost certainly submit an offer to Keenum at the 2nd round or original round level. The decision as to what level to submit an offer to Keenum and the consequences is where it gets interesting. However, that probably should be the topic best handled in another post. FYI, last year no NFL restricted free agent received a 1st round qualifying offer. Also, the Rams gave Austin Davis an original round qualifying offer when he was a restricted free agent.

Keenum will get a restricted free agent qualifying offer in order for the Rams to keep control of him. After that the plan will be to trade him for a 4th or 5th round pick to make room for another QB on the roster.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

I'm glad Keenum HELPED us get a win I. hagville. We all hate the crap out of that team and fan base. But let's not blow one game out of proportion or think we have any answers at the QB position.

I have not concluded anything on Keenum, except I want to see more. I want to make that's clear cause you surely have made your conclusion on Keenum already by continuously saying he isn't the future and how he isn't this, or he isn't that.

At this point I don't think anyone is saying Keenum the savior of our franchise, all we are saying is he plays well and is winning -- I could care less what his measurements, or what college he went to, how he looks or parts his hair, nor do I care how he measures up to Ryan Mallet or Matt Ryan - he is HELPING us win games

That's all that matters to any of us here.

Kurt Warner (not comparing their styles) brought us a Super Bowl Championship and he wasn't even drafted - so again, from a personal point of view I don't care where the
is drafted as long as he's helping us win.

Look, seriously, I'd love for us to grab a first round QB

Bring 'me on!! Goff, Wentz, Cook, that huge kid from Memphis - let them compete with Mannion and Keenum -- we'd be in good shape at that position.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's like pulling teeth with this crowd....The QB position is NOT like DB, WR, OT, hell, LB...You can find some great players at other positions later in the draft...Maybe even a QB....But it's not likely....percentage wise...;)
Everybody should realize we need another QB...Maybe Mannion is it...if he is, he should still battle a Rookie & Case for the starting job in 2016....Still don't think they eat Foles contract....Hope they do...Hope they can trade him but doubt that's possible....Maybe Andy Reid will come calling...

Come on Champ!

Warner brought us the Super Bowl! (Undrafted)

Bulger did some great things in St Louis (6th round pick)

then we have:

Bradford brought us tears (1st pick)

Banks no need to say more (2nd round pick)

Who gives a flying f where they were drafted. Especially if you're a Ram fan

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A few thoughts:

Rams will certainly have 4 or more QB's in training camp.

No team will trade for Foles after the season he just had. In fairness to Foles, he's probably a better quarterback than he showed this year. Not saying he will ever be a good QB again, but his stock is at an all-time low and the Rams know this.

Because Keenum is a restricted free agent, the Rams will make sure they have the absolute right to control whether he stays or goes. On March 15th (1st day of new league year) the Rams must decide whether or not to submit a qualifying offer to their restricted free agents. If they do decide to submit a qualifying offer to Keenum, the Rams must decide at what level (1st round/2nd round/original round). By making a qualifying offer to Keenum the Rams have the right to match any contract offer made by another team. The Rams will almost certainly submit an offer to Keenum at the 2nd round or original round level. The decision as to what level to submit an offer to Keenum and the consequences is where it gets interesting. However, that probably should be the topic best handled in another post. FYI, last year no NFL restricted free agent received a 1st round qualifying offer. Also, the Rams gave Austin Davis an original round qualifying offer when he was a restricted free agent.

Keenum will get a restricted free agent qualifying offer in order for the Rams to keep control of him. After that the plan will be to trade him for a 4th or 5th round pick to make room for another QB on the roster.

Had me right up to the last sentence that is ridiculous

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Come on Champ!

then we have:

Warner was a true miracle....I still can't believe it happened. Never thought much of Bulger...Liked some of his games sure, but not overly impressed...
Bradford is STILL proving he is a capable starter.... 14 td's & 4 int's his last year here.....
Tony Banks....man I liked Tony....Not sure what happened to that kid....sorta like David Carr...Alex Smith before Andy Reid....Rich Gannon b4 Gruden....

Odds say, scouts can recognize talent... A QB rated & drafted in the top 2 rounds is more than likely to be better than a QB drafted in the later rounds. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule...but that doesn't justify going against the rule....

Keenum has a certain grit I like...but to throw the ball downfield, into tight windows takes certain skills that he doesn't possess. Just facts. And I believe there are a bunch of guys out there that can do what he does, better than him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What exactly is "ridiculous' about it. By the way, I really hope I'm wrong about Keenum being gone next season.
Going through the trouble to resign him in order to then trade him for a 4th or 5th round pick on top of the fact he is winning games right now for them.

Ram Man

Rookie
Going through the trouble to resign him in order to then trade him for a 4th or 5th round pick on top of the fact he is winning games right now for them.

No trouble at all. The Rams send out a fax that says "we make a qualifying offer at the 2nd round/original round level." Then they trade him before the season starts. Remember, this is not primarily about obtaining a draft pick. The Rams are in a tough spot because they have to add a new QB (either a decent vet or high draft pick). To do that they must get rid of a current one. Someone has to go and Keenum is the logical choice.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No trouble at all. The Rams send out a fax that says "we make a qualifying offer at the 2nd round/original round level." Then they trade him before the season starts. Remember, this is not primarily about obtaining a draft pick. The Rams are in a tough spot because they have to add a new QB (either a decent vet or high draft pick). To do that they must get rid of a current one. Someone has to go and Keenum is the logical choice.
I guess we'll just have to disagree. There is nothing that can make me think keeping Foles over Keenum is a logical choice. Foles is a boat anchor tied to money already spent. The only reason he is still around IMO is that they need to play out this string of games. Fisher probably is more lenient than me I would cut him Monday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on Champ!

then we have:

Champ is right. Martz won us the lottery three times (arguably four) in a short period of time. I don't think we should keep buying lottery tickets in hopes we win again. Let's go make an investment.

Ram Man

Rookie
I guess we'll just have to disagree. There is nothing that can make me think keeping Foles over Keenum is a logical choice. Foles is a boat anchor tied to money already spent. The only reason he is still around IMO is that they need to play out this string of games. Fisher probably is more lenient than me I would cut him Monday.

I do hope you are right. For a somewhat similar situation see Mark Sanchez in 2013. Jets didn't cut Sanchez who had played terribly because he was owed $8.25M in guarantied money.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Why do people forget Foles was 4-3 before the wheels came off? Should not Rams wait until Keenum played 10 games or so?

The 4-3 record was on the back of 3 huge games from Gurley. To his credit, Foles had one really good game against Seattle to open the season, but it was all downhill from there. The common perception is that Foles is just not the guy. For reasons that I'd just be redundant in repeating (e.g. 30 QBR, 69.0 passer rating... painful 3rd down conversion percentages that was the morning after talk for weeks on end...)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

But yes, re: Keenum, we need to wait for a few more games before telling Canton to break out the anointing oil.