Case Keenum 3-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade Smith and Brandon Brooks were BOTH injured and they had other guys in there. Newton was TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE. Check the films. You said, "Yet, he received quality pass protection against Seattle". He did because the GAME PLAN was to throw very short, quick passes to compensate for the olines inexperience against an excellent defense.

Wade Smith started all 16 games that year. Brandon Brooks started 15 out of 16 games.(only game he missed was the SF game which Schaub played)

Yea, I don't recall watching a game where Keenum was being forced by pressure to throw short, quick passes. He was protected well.

Right - and when he had Cooks he was considered a 1st round pick.

And yet despite that horrible year, Snead and Fisher selected him with a 3rd which tells you a lot

Mannion was never considered a 1st round pick. Which is why he didn't declare for the draft.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm sure of one thing. If Keenum plays well next week there is no way in hell that Fisher lets him go even if he drafts a QB high. Foles will be sent packing first as they don't want to go through what they went through the first half of this season again and he was given plenty of time to show if he can play. He can't!
He's had the yips ever since that illegal spear to the chest in Green Bay.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
In the last two decades we got a total of two higher round QBs, one which was a mixed result in Bradford and the other a bust in Banks. Then we find Warner out of nowhere and win a superbowl and a six rounder in Bulger (who I think is/was a solid QB and don't mean to totally disrespect with this following statement) rides off of a great offensive team and looks pretty good before historic failure for 10 years. That doesn't mean that the undrafted and late round route is historically better. It doesn't change that in this league the majority of quality QBs are taken early.

The Rams haven't hit it exactly well with their last two high end QB picks, but that doesn't mean that it's the wrong way to go or that they have should look for later round guys more than early round. If you're going to be afraid to take a position you need high in the draft because it didn't exactly go the way you thought it would in the past, then I feel like you're more likely to struggle to find what you need. Kurt (and to a lesser degree Bulger) are great stories of success when it comes to late and undrafted QBs, but they aren't common at all. Kinda part of the reason they are great success stories. I fell that you're going to spend more time looking for an answer when you are looking for them after the picks of the litter have already been taken.

In the past two decades the Rams have had in QB hell, how many of these undrafted and late round guys have gone on to be franchise type guys for their teams compared to the number of higher round guys that have become franchise QBs? I'm sure there are more day one and day two picks that have outperformed day 3 and undrafted guys.

History says we should give the Keenum the nod in 2016.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
History says we should give the Keenum the nod in 2016.

How so? Because the Rams hit on a UDFA and a 6 rounder a decade+ ago? How many day 3 types have gone through this team and the league since then? You focus only on the hits yet neglect the Jamie Martins and Keith Nulls of the league and of this team. History supports finding franchise type QBs by picking earlier, not later. Look at the current starting QBs now. Most are day one or day two picks.

jjab360

Legend
How so? Because the Rams hit on a UDFA and a 6 rounder a decade+ ago? How many day 3 types have gone through this team and the league since then? You focus only on the hits yet neglect the Jamie Martins and Keith Nulls of the league and of this team. History supports finding franchise type QBs by picking earlier, not later. Look at the current starting QBs now. Most are day one or day two picks.
Why do you care so much where they were drafted instead of just looking at the skillset?

Athos

Legend
Why do you care so much where they were drafted instead of just looking at the skillset?

Because skill-sets at the QB position tie directly to the flippin draft slot! How many times must this be hammered home. QBs worth a damn are literally, almost always Day 1 and Day 2 picks, more often Day 1 picks. Teams with QBs later than that are usually perpetual losers churning through QBs like the kid at fat camp churning through Twinkies and Ho Hos.

The Brady's of the world of one-shot wonders of a draft pick that will rarely, if ever happen again.

The top QBs in the NFL prove that point. That teams headed to the playoffs prove that point. It isn't something that can really be argued against.

And what skillset does Keenum have exactly?

Decent mobility, an average at BEST arm? He's a solid QB.

I want more.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

Because history? The higher a guy is picked, the more likely it is that he has a skill set that can translate into being a great QB. Guys are hired to scout these players and evaluate their abilities. A couple get by and become great underdog success stories, but it's rare and always a pleasant surprise.

It would be something if Case visibly had something skill set wise that would set him apart from what we have seen in the past, but I just don't see what separates Case from a lot of other journeyman types. That's fine because I'm fine with him as a back-up and I'm comfortable for when injury happens and he has to start a few. I just don't think that if the Rams give him the reins next year, that it will turn out well.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That was the NFL'd advisory deal not the press - before 2013 season publications like CBS sports had Mannion with a 1-2 round grade
I was looking for it because that is what I thought I remembered too.

FRG’s TAKE: Sean Mannion was already a high-profile 2015 NFL Draft prospect as we get ready to start the college football season, but his performance at the Manning Passing Academy is worth noting because of the Academy’s reputation and the drills they conduct. Mannion won the quarterback challenge, which is a contest that tests the passer’s accuracy by requiring them to throw at moving golf carts. According to reports, Mannion didn’t miss on a single pass (9 for 9). Mannion’s protoype size (6050, 220lbs) and (+) arm are appealing traits that have analysts like Bucky Brooks stating that he’s the most pro-ready quarterback in the likely upcoming Draft class.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Just last April we were saying that Foles just needs to be a game manager and that with a great running back and great defense the Rams are in the playoffs. A few games into this season, behind Foles, it was thought by many that the Rams were playoff bound. Case Keenum is playing better than Foles was and suddenly he is not good enough. In fact Keenum is better than Foles in every category.

How does all of that suddenly change?

Should they try to get a better QB if possible? Sure. But until that guy is ready Keenum can get it done. And as I stated before how does everyone know that he cannot improve with starter reps and time in the same system? He has never had that. Neither did Warner until Greene's knee blew out. Rich Gannon was a journeyman until he got his chance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just last April we were saying that Foles just needs to be a game manager and that with a great running back and great defense the Rams are in the playoffs. A few games into this season, behind Foles, it was thought by many that the Rams were playoff bound. Case Keenum is playing better than Foles was and suddenly he is not good enough. In fact Keenum is better than Foles in every category.

How does all of that suddenly change?

Should they try to get a better QB if possible? Sure. But until that guy is ready Keenum can get it done. And as I stated before how does everyone know that he cannot improve with starter reps and time in the same system? He has never had that. Neither did Warner until Greene's knee blew out. Rich Gannon was a journeyman until he got his chance.

It suddenly changes because we're no longer stuck with hoping for the best with flawed QBs. We have a shot to get a difference-maker. This isn't the time to squander it.

As for the bold, you're talking about the rarities. I play the lottery sometimes. The odds of me winning are near zero. Doesn't stop me from being hopeful about every ticket I buy. You're asking for us to play the lottery. The Warners, Gannons, etc. of the world are rare. Extremely rare. There are thousands of QBs that are not ever going to be consistent NFL starters for every one Warner or Gannon.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

How many points does the defense give up if the offense can continue drives and keep them rested? In all but a few cases the defense was very good. If the Rams could have sustained drives and gotten leads I think you see a different story.