Can the Rams go on a run, like they did in 2023?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Imagine making a major trade for each of the following:
Potential HOF WR1
Pro-bowl WR1
Elite iOL
Elite iOL
Good TE

That’s what this offense is looking at potentially if/when everyone gets healthy and returns this season. That’s crazy. Others teams won’t want to see & play that team.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
All streaks start with one! And Kupp is coming back

MOOD:
1729527487082.png

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This team certainly has the talent. Something feels off with McVay and Stafford to be honest. Play calling has been questionable and Stafford does not seem right. 2 plays stand out. Both 3rd and 4 plays. 2nd quarter Stafford has the ball at the 40 and throws a dart to Atwell thats goes off his fingers. He had all day to throw and if waiting another second Atwell would of beat the coverage and been wide open for an easy pitch and catch. 3rd quarter, it might have actually been 3rd and 2 they run Williams to the right for a 1 yard loss. You could see live Raiders had 9 men in the box, and Atwell is left to block Chaisson #44 which didnt go well. Why didnt Stafford check out and throw a pass? Something dont seem right with Stafford this year and please dont say oline beat up. Drake Maye has more TD passes in 2 games than Stafford this season (let that sink in) and New England may have the worst roster in football and oline....

DzRams

Starter
Name
Desmal M
This team certainly has the talent. Something feels off with McVay and Stafford to be honest. Play calling has been questionable and Stafford does not seem right. 2 plays stand out. Both 3rd and 4 plays. 2nd quarter Stafford has the ball at the 40 and throws a dart to Atwell thats goes off his fingers. He had all day to throw and if waiting another second Atwell would of beat the coverage and been wide open for an easy pitch and catch. 3rd quarter, it might have actually been 3rd and 2 they run Williams to the right for a 1 yard loss. You could see live Raiders had 9 men in the box, and Atwell is left to block Chaisson #44 which didnt go well. Why didnt Stafford check out and throw a pass? Something dont seem right with Stafford this year and please dont say oline beat up. Drake Maye has more TD passes in 2 games than Stafford this season (let that sink in) and New England may have the worst roster in football and oline....
Yeah, Stafford seems off. And I agree it's more than the OL being beaten up. But the OL injuries are related b/c Stafford seems to be rushing things. He doesn't have confidence in the OL.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Stafford seems off. And I agree it's more than the OL being beaten up. But the OL injuries are related b/c Stafford seems to be rushing things. He doesn't have confidence in the OL.
agreed, he definitely is rushing and probably lacking confidence. Hope he can conquer what appears to be a mental hurdle. McVay calling different plays could help as well. But there is a lot of bad oline play this year in the league. I think its fair to expect more from our 46M dollar QB. He ranks 31st in TD passes

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake

I think the core issue right now is the personnel. Missing key players like Higbee, Kupp, and Puka is just too much to overcome. It really limits the play calling, which in turn makes the Rams' offense more predictable. I noticed this in the game against the Raiders yesterday. The Rams kept running the same play out of the pistol formation, and the Raiders stuffed it every time—largely because the WRs and TEs were failing to make their blocks. Watch the tape; it's pretty clear.

When play calling becomes too predictable, defenses can focus on exploiting those weaknesses, and that’s exactly what happened.

On top of that, the O-line isn’t performing at the level we expect from a playoff-caliber team. With a rookie backup center and the left guard position being in flux due to poor play, it's obvious that defenses are going to take advantage of that. There's not much we can do about it until Avila and Jackson return. Even with Limmer, who’s been solid for a rookie, he still has some lapses in identifying who to block, which becomes especially noticeable when the offense is blitzed. I also noticed that the Rams either have a noticeable deficiency in hot routes, check downs, or Stafford is just straight up missing them.

The Raiders had an excellent defensive game plan: fire blitzes and force Tutu, Whittington, and Robinson to step up and beat them. I suspect the Vikings will adopt a similar approach, but the difference is, the Vikings are much better on both sides of the ball. So, hold on to your butts—this could be a tough Thursday night.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
I'm not sure his heart is in it as he sees the team becoming his Detroit team of the past. one foot out the door?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
agreed, he definitely is rushing and probably lacking confidence. Hope he can conquer what appears to be a mental hurdle. McVay calling different plays could help as well. But there is a lot of bad oline play this year in the league. I think its fair to expect more from our 46M dollar QB. He ranks 31st in TD passes
Stafford needs to play better. I'm sure he'll tell you that.

But when he's in a situation like this where he's throwing to dudes who can't consistently make plays, maybe even can't always be in the right read for the situation, and his OL is springing free runs at him every game, it's hard to hang everything on him. In fact I think with many other QBs this is probably a winless team and we wouldn't have 3 losses by one score.

This situation where he has to play careful, mistake-free ball is probably the worst place for a dude like Stafford to be. I think it runs counter to everything he is.

McVay I agree needs to do better with run balance. And our screen game sucks ass. But we need to get some talent back at wideout so our QB1 doesn't have to look off ILBs to get a fucking 5 yard completion underneath.

brucebruce

Rookie
correct it's more than o-line injuries. also wr injuries.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
We barely beat the raiders, maybe the worst team in the league. Try again.
You might be the worst Rams fan I know. Who dogs their team like you do ?
I would rather make the playoffs, even if we do not win it all, than tank and get a high pick.
You have a loser outlook IMO.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I'm not sure his heart is in it as he sees the team becoming his Detroit team of the past. one foot out the door?
Stop it. He does not have a great game, still wins and you try and say his heart is not in it ? That dude has huge heart for the game.
Did you notice that scrub O linemen taking over for Bruss that got shoves in the backfield all game ?
Mcvay finally did what I wanted him to do. Run the ball from under center on 3rd-4th and 1. And our O line got crushed.
And we won anyway.
We will get guys back and things will change for the better.
Just have to weather this storm.
Even the talking heads were mentioning it.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

The two plays you are alluding to are examples of poor execution by everyone involved, not just Stafford and McVay.

On the first play Stafford was hit as he threw the ball.

On the second play it was a bad run fit and was never going to work.

This team is winning as a team and it is losing as a team.

The observation that they are in lock-step with each other means that they are at least functional and functioning - given the talent on the field.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Something feels off with McVay and Stafford to be honest. Play calling has been questionable and Stafford does not seem right. 2 plays stand out. 2nd quarter Stafford has the ball at the 40 and throws a dart to Atwell that's goes off his fingers. He had all day to throw and if waiting another second Atwell would of beat the coverage and been wide open for an easy pitch and catch.

Stafford was pressured and hit on that play; and could not have waited any longer to release the ball.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
As I've previously mentioned in another thread, my fear about this team is we get hot when it's too late.

I genuinely believe we'll start being the team we all know we can be, but the question is can they do it with enough time to get into the playoffs? Time will tell.
Agree, especially if the Rams don’t get it done Thursday night (tall order). That would be 5 conference losses already.

The NFC south route of getting a spot in the playoffs no matter what, because SOMEBODY has to win the division, is what the Rams could be looking at this year as their best bet to make the postseason. The NFC west is up for grabs and a 5-1 record in the division doesn’t seem as rocky of a road as vying for a wild card entry.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The run play was a great play by the defensive player. He was lined up outside the tackle and ran inside and shot the gap as soon as the ball was snapped. No WR would have had time to get there for the block. Any hesitation and KW gets the first down. It must have a film thing or we had a tell on running plays.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The run play was a great play by the defensive player. He was lined up outside the tackle and ran inside and shot the gap as soon as the ball was snapped. No WR would have had time to get there for the block. Any hesitation and KW gets the first down. It must have a film thing or we had a tell on running plays.
Was pointing out that Stafford never checked out of the play. That play was dead before the snap. Yes, defense made a great play and not blaming Atwell, just pointing out that Stafford ran the play knowing it would get blown up.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
You might be the worst Rams fan I know. Who dogs their team like you do ?
I would rather make the playoffs, even if we do not win it all, than tank and get a high pick.
You have a loser outlook IMO.
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because this team has a tendency to crush them.
I am going to watch the rest of the season, so I can see player development. I think Verse is going to be a great player, and I want to see all the young players improving.
I do not however, see this team as a Superbowl contender, even if we somehow manage to squeak into the playoffs.
Compare this team to the 2021 team, and we are vastly inferior. About the only position we are better at is running back.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think Avila is the biggest missing link with the Rams right now. I bet when he returns even our defense improves.