CAMP REPORT Camp Report Day 7: Wed, Aug 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Never understood the mind set of burying a young player after a handful of starts. Especially playing a demanding position like center where mentally there is a lot on your plate.
Thats fair, but I just saw him getting dominated physically non stop. That has nothing really to do with the mental side of playing center. Whereas rookies like Edwards and Evans both at least showed something in their starts as youngins. I'll be happy if Im proven wrong and Allen turns into a good player. I really hope he does we need the center depth.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I liked the Allen pick at the time, but after spending his rookie season on the bench, it seemed quite a leap to starting in his 2nd year. Both that and the Noteboom move inside seemed like an odd decision to me. Allen wasn’t ready and Noteboom wasn’t fit for the position.

I think there are some very positive attributes upon which Allen can build, but even though THIS should be about the time he should be ready, we won’t know just how much that knee injury will affect his game until he gets in a game—no matter what they tell you.

oldnotdead

Legend
Here is why starting Allen at C makes more sense. Have you seen how many FAs the Rams are going to have next year. Noteboom is one and he's going to be a priority as he will be a starter. As a starter, they will be looking at between no less than $8M/year with increases each year.

If they start Corbett at center his value would be $8-$9M/year. Remember they probably want to extend Darious Williams who will be looking at at least $15-$16M a year. This is why they drafted Rochell and why on draft day McVay made the comment about not wanting him to "get away". Signing Allen next year as a center would be millions less. Signing Corbett as an OG would be would probably save the Rams around $2M/yr.

The financial ramifications are very real. They have a whole lot of guys to sign. Signing Corbett as a center would probably concede extending Williams so Snead would be hoping for a 2nd round comp pick if that's the case. Also, Allen has actual game experience at the position which should count for something.

If Allen doesn't work out or gets hurt again they know they have a viable backup in Corbett. I think it's premature writing Allen off as a starting center. What happened between 2019 and now? Moving Corbett back to LG makes a lot more sense, while they can move Edwards to RG. Or simply release Havenstein a year early and start Edwards at RT and leave Evans at RG which probably was their original plan back in 2018.

jjab360

Legend
Here is why starting Allen at C makes more sense. Have you seen how many FAs the Rams are going to have next year. Noteboom is one and he's going to be a priority as he will be a starter. As a starter, they will be looking at between no less than $8M/year with increases each year.

If they start Corbett at center his value would be $8-$9M/year. Remember they probably want to extend Darious Williams who will be looking at at least $15-$16M a year. This is why they drafted Rochell and why on draft day McVay made the comment about not wanting him to "get away". Signing Allen next year as a center would be millions less. Signing Corbett as an OG would be would probably save the Rams around $2M/yr.

The financial ramifications are very real. They have a whole lot of guys to sign. Signing Corbett as a center would probably concede extending Williams so Snead would be hoping for a 2nd round comp pick if that's the case. Also, Allen has actual game experience at the position which should count for something.

If Allen doesn't work out or gets hurt again they know they have a viable backup in Corbett. I think it's premature writing Allen off as a starting center. What happened between 2019 and now? Moving Corbett back to LG makes a lot more sense, while they can move Edwards to RG. Or simply release Havenstein a year early and start Edwards at RT and leave Evans at RG which probably was their original plan back in 2018.
If you want to win, you start the best players you have on the roster for that year. Unless Allen has transformed into a completely different player, I've seen him be easily overpowered too many times to put any cash in that stock.

Corbett has played well for us and seems to be a good fit at center, let Demoff work the financials out next offseason if it comes to that. He's proven he knows how to work around the cap before for players the team want to keep around.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Despite the negative feedback by many of us fans, including yours truly, the Rams clearly saw a possible Ram future for Allen.

He might be Exhibit A for coaches having info that fans can‘t possibly have. It now appears that Ram coaches’ patience is gonna pay off.

Yeah, and who doesn’t like happy endings?

IDK, IMO, Allen could have changed the coaches minds too. Now @PhillyRam mentioned the demands at Center and I concur, however, Allen's snaps were inconsistent too, which shocked me because from that perspective, he was very good at Michigan State.

I didn't like the pick because I felt Allen was undersized, but Allen after getting hurt and being on the COVID list, worked his ass off to get bigger and now he's turning heads in Training Camp. Again, not sure the Coaches had him on their list of making the team, but he sure has changed their minds thus far.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The only way they keep Boom is if he plays significant snaps for us this season and excels.

Barring that the issue is agreeing on his value. It would be stupid to pay him based on some coach opinion or expectation, we have done that before with Tavon, Ogletree, etc. Every single time that dude was pushed into the lineup by Kromer he has disappointed. So what is fair value is probably something he and his agent won't accept.

Re: Allen he is similar to Corbs in that he is a pending FA. And like Boom best case is he doesn't see the field. So chances are he leaves in FA with Boom.

At this point LT is a mystery for next year. There is a chance Boom will be the guy but I hope he stays on the bench. If I had to guess I would think they get Corbs done about halfway through the season IF he is playing well.

IMO they are playing with fire with LT. So I hope Boom could be the guy. I would feel better about that. But I have seen nothing from him to make me think that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way they keep Boom is if he plays significant snaps for us this season and excels.

Barring that the issue is agreeing on his value. It would be stupid to pay him based on some coach opinion or expectation, we have done that before with Tavon, Ogletree, etc. Every single time that dude was pushed into the lineup by Kromer he has disappointed. So what is fair value is probably something he and his agent won't accept.

Re: Allen he is similar to Corbs in that he is a pending FA. And like Boom best case is he doesn't see the field. So chances are he leaves in FA with Boom.

At this point LT is a mystery for next year. There is a chance Boom will be the guy but I hope he stays on the bench. If I had to guess I would think they get Corbs done about halfway through the season IF he is playing well.

IMO they are playing with fire with LT. So I hope Boom could be the guy. I would feel better about that. But I have seen nothing from him to make me think that.
BOOM changes uniform for a specific ROD poster....

9TOqJNR.png

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Several things occur to me here. And they are based upon limited info that comes from coaches quoted, beat reporters, and our own camp reporters.

We just don’t know for sure whether Corbett will be a stud OC, although early feedback sounds promising.

Allen is miles away from being considered a likely starting OC just yet. We’re encouraged, but he hasn’t earned a damned thing yet.

There is no such thing as a 2nd round comp pick, 3rd is the highest possible.

I’ve resigned myself to losing DW because of the cap. It hurts but what can they do?

Boom is iffy as our starting LOT. Honestly, I think it could go either way for ‘22. I do not think our starting LOT is already on the roster if it’s other than Boom, however.

So here’s a summary of my best predictions for ‘22:

Corbett will be extended as our starting OC.

Allen will be our backup OC and paid accordingly. If he wants more, and can get it, then he’s a goner.

Boom is 50-50 likely to be extended as our starting LOT but it will be at a team friendly price or he’s a goner, too.

DW will be a cap casualty like so many before him. It will sting like a mofo but the 3rd rounder as a comp will help ease the pain.

Hav’s Ram future gets very iffy after this season if only because of the cap.