CAMP REPORT Camp Report DAY 2: Thur July 29

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I was wondering where my GF was. :laugh1: I used to live in Laguna Nigel and that has always been the kind of scenery there.

Facing a QB like Stafford in practice is going to pay huge dividends to the secondary. The better Stafford is the better the secondary will get. I'm loving what I'm hearing.

Oh yeah Rochell can be another Ramsey by 2023. I think he will have a breakout year in 2022. This kid is legit.

Harris is another one to watch. He will be the Rams Kelce/Graham. He's got that kind of talent.

Funk right now is the most under rated RB. Just because he was drafted in the late rounds doesn't mean he's a scrub. This kid can be something special if he just stays healthy.

The 2021 Ram draft class could go down as one of the best. These guys can play.

12 teams passed on Aaron Donald who right now is a HOF lock. Why did they pass on him? Because they considered him undersized. Drafting by analytics is for real and this year's draft class where the Rams drafted for traits off analytics and film has paid off handsomely. Staley has brought analytics to the Chargers, and Holmes has done likewise in Detroit. This is Snead's and McVay's true impact on the NFL.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CAMP REPORT THURSDAY JULY 29 DAY 2
Large crowd again! Great feeling being around all these Rams fans. Fans are nice and friendly, the staff is very friendly. Kind of like going to Home Depot and at each aisle someone greets you.

Bubba and I started off with our obligatory beers. I suggested we go to the south field since the team did the 11x11 on the north field the day before. Had a hunch based on past camps that they like to give the grass a rest. I was right.

We watched position groups perform various drills. To many to explain but the groups would rotate between each "station". A very efficient way of doing things. Nobody walked around, everyone ran from station to station.

Our missing tight end, #87 Harris was on the sidelines doing warm ups and throwing the ball with Hecker. Nice to see he was at least out there.

When the 11x11 started, of course the crowd from the far side made their way over to our side. Got a little crowded and stuffy in the stands. I mentioned at the top of this post that I was going to focus on the lines. It was really hard to do. Being at about the same level as the players, things just got jumbled up. I would suggest going to my other thread that I'll create with todays photos. Study them and see who is playing where and with whom.

During the 11x11, it seemed as if the defense was performing much better. Both units seemed to be equally matched. The O would win some, the D would win some. A good work out by both groups. If I had to give the edge to one of them, it would still be the offense. I feel sorry for opposing defensive coordinators. Stafford really does bring that much to the table. He is so cool, calm and reads things very fast.

Bubba had a new voice recorder today. He tries so hard to capture everything that is going on. At one point I had to caution him to stop doing a play by play or he'll have over two hours of commentary to sort through. I hope he gives you guys a good report today.

I'm just not feeling up to thinking of more "fluff" to put here. I had an issue driving home and it's sort of has me worried and a little worn out. Nothing major (I hope) but I think father time is catching up on these bones.

Let me get the photos posted, there are about 95 of them this time. LOTS of line work! So till tomorrow, take care.

VRF

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm providing this meme for those of you that it applies to.
11811436951020698020944073495517562982002451170195n.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
eL7Ni2v.jpg

When Cooper Kupp's hyperbole about "old" Matthew Stafford being 57 years old and able to learn new things.... Let's see, I was born in 1964 and.....SONOFA!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Day 2 VFR and I had our ritual beer while waiting for practice to start. Another huge crowd and we picked the south stands at the 45 yd line hoping we'd get 11 on 11 in front of us. (we did,, yeah!)

Got another voice recorder that actually works, so this report will be as practice progressed I'll go item by item.

Defensive in front of us, doing warmups, stretching, sprints, DB's back peddling swinging hips back and forth.

Other position groups doing pretty much the same. for 15-20 min. then into drills with a lot of coaching. Today the first half of TC was mostly coaching for a pos groups.

Same group as yesterday practicing fielding punts on north field so could tell how they did. I did see Otis Anderson bobble one of his.

Next had DB's and LB's. Drilled coming out of 3point stance with DB in their face and try and grab a rag from a trainer. I don't get the point of the drill but maybe one of you do.

Saw Jacob Harris on the sideline was suited up and playing toss with Hekker. Methinks he's close to seeing the field.

Next drill had DB's, LB"s and TE"S coming out of 3 pt and trying to knock a soccar ball out of trainers hands.

DL group came and drilled on stripping ball from a trainer, that was fun, Donald and AShawn trying to outdo each other.

Same drill with LB's. Trainer throwing ball at them as they come out of 3pt stance, they're supposed to catch it, most didn't. Jones caught 2.

LB drill where two square off at each other, coach says "Go" one try to get by the other,

On the far field We could see QB's throwing deep passes to WR's with no DB's covering. looked like lots of completions (as there should be)

Next Coach and trainers had DB's going deep for balls. I really liked this drill and first time I've seen it in practice. DB's should be proficient in catching the football, after all once it leaves the QB's hand it belongs to whoever can catch it.

So far TC has been all about warm-ups, various drills with alot of coaching and standing around.

4;30 and a small break with everyone coming over to our side for scrimmage.

I know a lot of you, like myself, want to know who's playing where. I paid a lot of attention to get this right. Not a lot of changes from yesterday. Demby playing RT with the twos the biggest difference.

Offense ones- Whit lt, Edwards lg, Corbett C, Evans rg, Havenstien rt. Stafford QB, Kupp, WR, Woods WR, DeSean Jackson WR, Jefferson WR, Henderson RB, TE Higbee (All these only played with the first team) , the rest of the TE's played first and 2nd team. Funk, Calais, Jones took snaps with ones and twos, Tristen Jackson, Skowronik, Koski took snaps at WR with ones and twos. 2nd team O- Noteboom lt, Brewer lg, Allen C, Shelton rg, Demby rt. Wolford QB. Lots of subs played at WR and RB, TE.
Defense ones-Floyd DE, SJoDay DT, AD DT, ASshawn Rob DT, Hollins DE, Floyd DE. Young and Kiser ILB, Williams and Ramsey DB, Long, Burgess, slot, Rapp S, Fuller FS (green dot) I did see Donte Deayon with the ones at DB and slot for a few plays. Deayon did make a deflecton of a Stafford pass to Jefferson. Nice play. Defense twos- Lewis DE, Bobby Brown III DT, Gaines DT, Copeland DT, Jones ILB, Reeder ILB, OBO OLB, Howard OLB ILB, Rochell DB, Daeyon DB, slot, Bronte Harris DB, Burgess S, Scott FS, Gervase S.

They did a lot of switching around and subbing with the second teams, I guess in order to get a look at all the players. Some players on the roster got very little playing time. That may change so I won't name names, I'll give it another day or two.

Finally getting to see some scrimmage. here's several plays

Kupp and a jet sweep
Wolford to Tristen jackson Deayon with a deflection
Bryce Hopkins with a catch from Wolford
Stafford overthrows Kupp, Long covering
Wolford to ?, Kareem Orr got a hand on it, nice breakup
Stafford to Kupp over the middle, nice pass and catch, gonna be hard to defend that it happened so quick
Funk up the middle (with ones)
D Jack in slot, Tr Jack outside WR, DJack nice grab over the middle for 15. How about that. DSean jackson lining up in the slot and going over the middle! We gonna see that in real games?
Funk up the middle again with twos (Anchrum in for Demby at RT)
Hendo run right side for a few
Stafford incomplete to Jefferson
XJones run left side
Stafford quick out to Woods
Kupp good catch on sideline
Jefferson with another good catch

Near the end of practice they ran a few plays Ones vs Ones.

First play Stafford to Kupp over the middle for 10
Stafford to Woods left sideline for7
Hendo run right for no gain
Funk lines up in slot, Wood outside, Higbee as other wideout, Stafford to Higbee over middle for 8 or 10
Stafford to Jefferson with Rochell with a nice breakup

That all I've got 4 today's practice. A quiet day as for a practices go. Mostly drills and coaching the first hour and ahalf
11 on 11 was very vanilla, no big plays.

Stafford and the first string WR's are getting locked in. I haven't seen such good timing this early in TC.

Funk, Tristen Jackson, SeSean Jackson, Donte Daeyon were my standouts for today. Rb's all looked good. Lewis looked good, shows no sign of past injury. Corbett and Stafford look solid on their exchanges, under center and shotgun.

Pads come on Saturday. Then we can tell where the OL and DL are.

I know some of you like details, hence the play by play. Hope it was worth the wait.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Day 2 VFR and I had our ritual beer while waiting for practice to start. Another huge crowd and we picked the south stands at the 45 yd line hoping we'd get 11 on 11 in front of us. (we did,, yeah!)

Got another voice recorder that actually works, so this report will be as practice progressed I'll go item by item.

Defensive in front of us, doing warmups, stretching, sprints, DB's back peddling swinging hips back and forth.

Other position groups doing pretty much the same. for 15-20 min. then into drills with a lot of coaching. Today the first half of TC was mostly coaching for a pos groups.

Same group as yesterday practicing fielding punts on north field so could tell how they did. I did see Otis Anderson bobble one of his.

Next had DB's and LB's. Drilled coming out of 3point stance with DB in their face and try and grab a rag from a trainer. I don't get the point of the drill but maybe one of you do.

Saw Jacob Harris on the sideline was suited up and playing toss with Hekker. Methinks he's close to seeing the field.

Next drill had DB's, LB"s and TE"S coming out of 3 pt and trying to knock a soccar ball out of trainers hands.

DL group came and drilled on stripping ball from a trainer, that was fun, Donald and AShawn trying to outdo each other.

Same drill with LB's. Trainer throwing ball at them as they come out of 3pt stance, they're supposed to catch it, most didn't. Jones caught 2.

LB drill where two square off at each other, coach says "Go" one try to get by the other,

On the far field We could see QB's throwing deep passes to WR's with no DB's covering. looked like lots of completions (as there should be)

Next Coach and trainers had DB's going deep for balls. I really liked this drill and first time I've seen it in practice. DB's should be proficient in catching the football, after all once it leaves the QB's hand it belongs to whoever can catch it.

So far TC has been all about warm-ups, various drills with alot of coaching and standing around.

4;30 and a small break with everyone coming over to our side for scrimmage.

I know a lot of you, like myself, want to know who's playing where. I paid a lot of attention to get this right. Not a lot of changes from yesterday. Demby playing RT with the twos the biggest difference.

Offense ones- Whit lt, Edwards lg, Corbett C, Evans rg, Havenstien rt. Stafford QB, Kupp, WR, Woods WR, DeSean Jackson WR, Jefferson WR, Henderson RB, TE Higbee (All these only played with the first team) , the rest of the TE's played first and 2nd team. Funk, Calais, Jones took snaps with ones and twos, Tristen Jackson, Skowronik, Koski took snaps at WR with ones and twos. 2nd team O- Noteboom lt, Brewer lg, Allen C, Shelton rg, Demby rt. Wolford QB. Lots of subs played at WR and RB, TE.
Defense ones-Floyd DE, SJoDay DT, AD DT, ASshawn Rob DT, Hollins DE, Floyd DE. Young and Kiser ILB, Williams and Ramsey DB, Long, Burgess, slot, Rapp S, Fuller FS (green dot) I did see Donte Deayon with the ones at DB and slot for a few plays. Deayon did make a deflecton of a Stafford pass to Jefferson. Nice play. Defense twos- Lewis DE, Bobby Brown III DT, Gaines DT, Copeland DT, Jones ILB, Reeder ILB, OBO OLB, Howard OLB ILB, Rochell DB, Daeyon DB, slot, Bronte Harris DB, Burgess S, Scott FS, Gervase S.

They did a lot of switching around and subbing with the second teams, I guess in order to get a look at all the players. Some players on the roster got very little playing time. That may change so I won't name names, I'll give it another day or two.

Finally getting to see some scrimmage. here's several plays

Kupp and a jet sweep
Wolford to Tristen jackson Deayon with a deflection
Bryce Hopkins with a catch from Wolford
Stafford overthrows Kupp, Long covering
Wolford to ?, Kareem Orr got a hand on it, nice breakup
Stafford to Kupp over the middle, nice pass and catch, gonna be hard to defend that it happened so quick
Funk up the middle (with ones)
D Jack in slot, Tr Jack outside WR, DJack nice grab over the middle for 15. How about that. DSean jackson lining up in the slot and going over the middle! We gonna see that in real games?
Funk up the middle again with twos (Anchrum in for Demby at RT)
Hendo run right side for a few
Stafford incomplete to Jefferson
XJones run left side
Stafford quick out to Woods
Kupp good catch on sideline
Jefferson with another good catch

Near the end of practice they ran a few plays Ones vs Ones.

First play Stafford to Kupp over the middle for 10
Stafford to Woods left sideline for7
Hendo run right for no gain
Funk lines up in slot, Wood outside, Higbee as other wideout, Stafford to Higbee over middle for 8 or 10
Stafford to Jefferson with Rochell with a nice breakup

That all I've got 4 today's practice. A quiet day as for a practices go. Mostly drills and coaching the first hour and ahalf
11 on 11 was very vanilla, no big plays.

Stafford and the first string WR's are getting locked in. I haven't seen such good timing this early in TC.

Funk, Tristen Jackson, SeSean Jackson, Donte Daeyon were my standouts for today. Rb's all looked good. Lewis looked good, shows no sign of past injury. Corbett and Stafford look solid on their exchanges, under center and shotgun.

Pads come on Saturday. Then we can tell where the OL and DL are.

I know some of you like details, hence the play by play. Hope it was worth the wait.
Nice job! That recorder really helped, didn't it?

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
First of all, I need to start by saying @VeteranRamFan, I saw that girl first. She was two people in front of me in line. Unfortunately, the line was moving pretty quickly today. It would've been nice to have a 35 minute long wait in line that I had yesterday. She looked incredible from the angle that you took the picture from, but she looked 100 times better from behind. You could not imagine my surprise when I saw that picture.

I didn't meet up with @VeteranRamFan and @bubbaramfan today because I was with a different friend, so we didn't talk at all today, but seeing that photo really cracked me up just now.

On to football.

“I mean, he’s looking guys off mid-throw where he’s throwing across his body and the ball is out before receivers are looking,” laughed Kupp. “The self-ease within his drops and how he’s manipulating guys, that’s kind of the big thing I’ve seen. When you’re really watching him, the command that he has already over some of these concepts — that’s just going to get better over time.”

The throw itself, Kupp described, was a “fringe throw” during which Stafford held the safety to the backside.

“It was something crazy — we had a bust on the play, and the guy who was supposed to go on the safety on the backside busted his route,” Kupp said. “For (Stafford) to still hold that safety and then no-look this pass down the field, and being able to, on the no-look, move an underneath defender … was pretty insane. It was an unbelievable play.”

So, I feel a little validated reading this today. The one thing that stands out for me with Matt Stafford is that he really looks off the safety before making the throw. It's not just that he looks one way before throwing the other way, it's far more complex than that. He sometimes looks to the short left before switching and looking deep left for the throw. Other times, he looks one way, then throws it the other way. And still other times, he doesn't look off the safety at all because it's a quick out, a quick slant, a WR bubble screen, or a RB swing pass.

What is a safety supposed to do? Bite on the short throws? Stay deep at all times? It's fucked up to do to a defense. I don't know how I would play him if I were on the defense because most players telegraph what they are going to do. Stafford does not do that. Between how open the wide receivers are going to be and what Stafford does with his eyes, the Rams will be scoring a lot of points this year.

I'm not sure how much there is to add to yesterday's report, but I will try my best to remember what happened. This Bryce Perkins guy looks stellar. While he looks raw at times, he just throws a really beautiful ball. Hodges and Wolford may have more in-game experience, but Perkins looks nice. My friend and I were saying that it would be nice to have Perkins as a number two QB. Of course, we never want to see him on the field. Ever.

In terms of offensive formation, I think we are going to go back to the 11 personnel that we saw in 2018. It looks like the rotation that is a favorite is Van Jefferson, Kupp, and Woods, along with Tyler Higbee and Darrell Henderson at tailback. It may just be that they are installing 11 personnel plays right now, but I'm seeing that particular combination the most. Occasionally, Jake Funk will step in for Henderson, and DeSean Jackson will step in for Van Jefferson, but I think those are our go-to guys based on today's and yesterday's reps.

I saw RB Xavier Jones come in a number of times with the ones as well. He looked really nice and smooth, especially on the one-cut and run upfield type of plays.

Nobody is throwing at Jalen Ramsey in 7-on-7, which makes sense. Robert Rochell looks really damn good out there. I think the defensive coaches will need to find a way to get Rochell into the game, even if that means putting him at nickel or something else. He's a big, long, rangy defender, and he seems very smart as well. I dunno if it's smart or instinctive, but he has a nose for the ball. I hope we see the type of development out of him that we've seen from Darious Williams and Terrell Burgess and Taylor Rapp and Jordan Fuller. Hell, any corner is going to look good on an Aaron Donald-defense.

It is really nice to see Aaron Donald in training camp. When he was holding out, we didn't see him. During COVID last year, we didn't see anyone, but it's just really nice to see him out there. I miss Brockers though. I think he leaves a void that kinda sucks. A'Shawn looks leaner and meaner than he has in the past.

I couldn't tell you much about the rest of camp because the scrimmages were on the far side. While my binoculars helped, there were too many obstructions to see much more than personnel groupings and who made the completions.

I got my first look at Jacob Harris. He is a BIG boy. Very tall and strong-looking. He is going to be hard to keep on the sidelines if he really has a 40-in. vert and a 4.4. 40-yd. dash.

Kupp, Woods, Van Jefferson, and all of the other wide receivers look very good.

Landon Akers made some nice grabs on the 2nd team.

Ben Skowronek looks great. He is catching almost every ball, even in traffic. He's a big target, and he has that weird thing that fast, tall players have where he doesn't look like he's running that fast, but he's eating up a lot of ground in a hurry. He already looks like a preferred target of Wolford's. I like where this is heading, but we have such an embarrassment of riches on offense. No wonder they didn't want to take a lineman.

Speaking of linemen, Max Pircher is a BIG, BIG MAN. He is stout and just looks like a mountain. If you watch him, he is constantly looking talking to either Havenstein or Whitworth. I think he's going to somehow make himself indispensable.

I didn't get a chance to see Ernest Jones much because I was on the wrong side of the field.

NOTE: If you're heading to camp, take a look at the two displays in between the two fields. If it is facing your side, find a good seat and sit down. If it is turned away from you, go find a seat next to the other end of the field. It's the scrimmages that you really want to see.

@VeteranRamFan and @bubbaramfan: I missed you guys today. I will join you at the next one.

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks for all of the comments and appreciation. I enjoyed reading the replies and compliments. It is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
eL7Ni2v.jpg

When Cooper Kupp's hyperbole about "old" Matthew Stafford being 57 years old and able to learn new things.... Let's see, I was born in 1964 and.....SONOFA!

Another member of the class of 64 feels your pain.

On the other hand, a guy who was 81 last week called me a kid. I told him I was 57. He said "my son is 57!"

:laugh1:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another member of the class of 64 feels your pain.

On the other hand, a guy who was 81 last week called me a kid. I told him I was 57. He said "my son is 57!"

:laugh1:
So did you join the Navy in 1983? I at RTC Great Lakes January 1983 and then NTC Great Lakes for BEE, ET "A" school. Were you there at the same time?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So did you join the Navy in 1983? I at RTC Great Lakes January 1983 and then NTC Great Lakes for BEE, ET "A" school. Were you there at the same time?

Went to boot camp in November 82 at RTC GL and crossed the street to NTC for BEE from January to March of 83 ... we actually discussed this once (but I'm old and forget shit too, so no problem :zany: ), But yeah, we probably crossed paths at BEE and didn't even know it. Wish I had known it because I didn't know any other Rams fans at the time.

P.S. I don't know what barracks you were in (and I don't remember specifically either) but I remember being down in the TV room of one of them and watching John Riggins put a dagger in the heart of the Dolphins in the Super Bowl with his 4th and 1 for 41 TD.

TexasRam

Legend
Thank Bro dogs. You guys are like dependable drug dealers that show up late at night to give us our fix :laugh1:

It's great to hear about Stafford connecting with Kupp and Jackson. The looking off the safety's and all is very underated and its great to hear that aspect of his game.

Good to hear about Earnest Jones showing some pass defense ability.

Regarding Hollins, I think he has some deficiencies in run defense and can see him as more of a rotational pass rusher where he excels. If Lewis Knee holds up he probably gets more play time as he is stout vs the run.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Went to boot camp in November 82 at RTC GL and crossed the street to NTC for BEE from January to March of 83 ... we actually discussed this once (but I'm old and forget shit too, so no problem :zany: ), But yeah, we probably crossed paths at BEE and didn't even know it. Wish I had known it because I didn't know any other Rams fans at the time.
Do you remember a station in BEE that had a sign that said "This is not Burger King, You Don't Get it Your Way.
" ? lol. I don't know why I remember that...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Do you remember a station in BEE that had a sign that said "This is not Burger King, You Don't Get it Your Way.
" ? lol. I don't know why I remember that...

LOL, yes, that is one thing I do remember!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL, yes, that is one thing I do remember!!
The other thing was hearing Joe Cuervo by Shelly West playing on a loop, it seemed. "Jose Cuervo, You are a friend of mine..."

I wasn't a country music fan at all, but I remember that song because it wouldn't stop playing in my mind like a musical virus!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thanks again you 3. Re: Stafford and his eye control, the guy has a lot of film of him doing that stuff so I think what you're seeing and reporting is real and we're gonna feel it big time this season. Even the no-look passes in the redzone. You can hear it in Kupp's words, the same kind of excitement you guys were posting with after you saw the offense come out firing fast.

Sort of reminds me of '99 tbh. I know we don't have a Faulk in the backfield but I do think it's gonna be that kind of offensive explosion. From the 20s to well inside the top ten maybe even inside the top five.

Boy I can't wait to hear some reports when the pads come on. It's appreciated dudes! :horns::startstruck::horns: