CAMP REPORT Camp report DAY 1: Wed July 28

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I'd expect nothing less than seeing you guys in the Corona beach club straight away!. Wish I was there with you guys but have some family medical stuff going on.
Take care of family. Your ROD and RAMS family will still be here for you.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's my personel thoughts on todays practice. Stafford is a definate upgrade over Goff, I don; think we have to worry yet about RB's. Henderson, Jones and Calais are good. Funk looked REALLY good today. Just the first day though.

Terrell Lewis Looked fully healthy and got a lot of snaps with the D twos. Was interesting Rapp played with the O ones and Burgess with the O twos.

Corbett and Stafford looked to have good exchanges and Corbett seemed to keep Matt clean.

Oh and Den, #44Steve Wirtel did the long snapping for Gay, with Wolford or Hekker holding.

This team look good. Big difference from the first TC I attended two years ago.
I was not around the LBer group, or the DB’s.I think they were on the other field.Just got lazy & comfortable.Talking to much.

Anyways I saw someone posted T. Lewis was not there.I was on the Offensive side of the field & didn’t get a great view of what the crowd saw.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looks like they liked what they saw of Corbett at center and will roll with him. That's good because hes a very good inside blocker with mobility and vision to make second level blocks which Blythe simply couldn't do. I like Evans at RG but still have questions about Edwards at LG. Hope he has improved his technique.

Glad to hear Hollins is playing with the ones, he earned it last year. Not worried about Harris as he is going to be the #3 TE this year anyway. He's got time as he got a good look in OTAs. Playing Fuller and Rapp with the ones now makes sense as they have the experience. Burgess will have his role this year I have no doubt.

Calais struggled with punts last year so it's good he's looking comfortable now. I think it will be a revolving door on STs until DeCamillis finds his guys. Preseason is most likely the PR and KR guys will be determined.

Thanks for the reports guys!

TE. — Look out for Bryce Hopkins. He is looking bigger & stronger.Had 2 catches.

This #45 kept get short passes to him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We're one day into camp. There's time for the OLBs to sort a bit. New DC, he's gonna be moving guys around so I wouldn't read too much into who is where in the first practice. It's gonna change as we go forward.

I will admit I'm concerned that Tutu is going to miss most of camp. My understanding with the vax rules is that if he wasn't vaccinated and got it he's out ten days or whatever. That would suck. But we'll see here soon how long it takes him to come back and practice. If he's not available by Fri or Mon then yeah he's probably going to miss out on a lot. But I'm sure many here are more up to speed on all that BS than I am.

I’ll say right now I’m not even thinking about Tutu as a Ram he could be on the PUP list for all I care.IMO if the case is what you say (I’ll be nice) then that still is on him. I saw his interview & The Rams haven’t reached out to him that much. He is only 156 lbs.
T. Lewis I thought someone said he was not practicing or seen. I have not seen him yet,so I think that information was wrong. BubbaRam said he was playing with The 2’s(2nd squad).
Obo is #45 & the new TE is #45. For a guy coming in new he had 3 nice catches.
J. Hollins was a starter last season & Mcvay saw him as a player from OTA’s he was excited about.I did see him in between players.Had his foot in the ground.Seeing his stance from that level & angle was cool. He looked ball ready & quick.
He has to work on his hands,but from what I saw yesterday is a different approach than he had all last season there.

Yes it was only one practice in shorts.I might not get out again this week.I have a ticket for today & tomorrow. Then in 2 weeks.Being able to go though helps in evaluation.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

yeah - called that playout. Anyway from that angle that FS/DB came up on the play. Just shows there is no communication there.
I was on the other side of the field & saw DJ1 line up inside.I said watch out for Jackson he is lining up inside.
There was a weak play action.Veteran Ramfan says it was Funk & he went out in the flat.
I said again,lookout for Jackson deep.I could not actually see the route.I saw the ball go up & Jackson wide open. I had to wait to see if he had caught the ball.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Is that blue font ??

I’ll give you my take on the situation from afar. The New TE has #45,so I’m just saying there could be something to OBo?
Mcvay in his press conference before training camp talked Justin Hollins up big time.I was not a Fan. Thought he played SOFT!! He has all the tools & skills. Mcvay gave an excuse about him having his first training camp with The Rams.
Hollins got so much playing time last season & was the OLB against Green Bay.Shula or Mcvay really like this guy. Now Morris is the DC as well.

I got a look at Hollins yesterday at eye (ground level). He looks like he is going to have a good season.He is getting lower coming of the edge.He will put pressure on the LT.I think getting of the ball & where you set up is a big deal. AJ Watt is a good example.I think Nick Bosa could be another example.That dude in Washington(Young?) is going an All Pro for years.
I just think in Hollins The Rams will coach him up from what is being said & a quick view yesterday.I’m drinking a little Kool-Aide though & know he is really nothing like those other guys.
It's most definitely blue font, but also a little seriousness. Haha.

I appreciate greatly your report on it!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
One thing I love about the pass to Djax from Stafford is you can see Djax didn't slow down a bit. Hit in absolute stride. If Stafford can pretty consistently hit the deep ball.. it's gonna be huge.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Love the reports, thank you very much fellas!!!!

Very disappointed that Tutu and Harris aren't out there. Arguably the 2 that need to be out there the most. Hopefully both are back shortly.
Harris is suited up. Just saying

this new guy #45 I can’t stop talking about though.He had 3 catches I believe in 11 on 11 ,or just offense vs. defense. They were basically out let or drop of type passes though. I posted a photo of Harris talking to him.

Harris if you look at his first day interview you can see how Smart he is.He has not played that long really in Football years.Was a soccer guy.He talks about 2 TE’s he watched play in the NFL.I just think he is like a sponge & is always working on both physical and mental part of The Game.I also saw a photo of him doing a Plank.So his core body is strong.I think Reggie is just being careful.
—I’ll add another take below.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Man, these are some of the best reports I've ever read. Much appreciated and the pics are amazing as well.

I know it's day one, but it's good to hear that you all are seeing in Funk what I have seen since his HS days. He belongs at this level.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One thing I love about the pass to Djax from Stafford is you can see Djax didn't slow down a bit. Hit in absolute stride. If Stafford can pretty consistently hit the deep ball.. it's gonna be huge.

I will say Stafford through a crap INT
in the middle of it all,or was that Wolford? Lol - only say Wolford because Stafford took his Jersey.

I don’t know what the heck he was looking at.I believe it was caught ?? It went right to a LBer(chest) & he had the ball.I can’t say for 100% it was caught with body’s moving around after that.I think it was to tackle?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Man, these are some of the best reports I've ever read. Much appreciated and the pics are amazing as well.

I know it's day one, but it's good to hear that you all are seeing in Funk what I have seen since his HS days. He belongs at this level.
Funk takes time to get his mind and head straight before each drill.I came to the conclusion that Jones is to small to make it much in The NFL from a quick evaluation. Funk on the other hand played through the whistle & never quit. I said out loud he is going to be tough on LBers.He gets to the sideline & steps back & up. He does not want to go out of bounds.Dudes fly & he leaves himself open,but at least he is getting a feel & visin of what it looks like & not getting hit. —This is just a close up drill.

1627581400767.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's most definitely blue font, but also a little seriousness. Haha.

I appreciate greatly your report on it!

I don’t know about blue Font ? I do know what I see & hear. I goes down to a feel of the game as well. My mental might not be right though.

If you have any questions though I will respond & try not to be to opinionated

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So from Harris’s interview.My take is Ben Skowronek & Funk workout together.Which means study playbook & whatever. I just like this young group of players.They all have good skills.
—Ben(called him Brian) is a total undervalued player.I did not watch special teams like Vet & Bubba.I can’t say if the 3 of them were on teams ?
That will be a big part of there value to The Rams in 2021 imo.
Got this off the site,to explain my views.

1627583201364.png

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
FIRST CAMP REPORT!

It was great to see all the fans there. Had to be 1,000 strong. Big crowd! Meeting up again with my old buddy Sam ( @bubbaramfan ) and Andy ( @theduke ) was a treat in itself!

I'll do a quick summary here and then start editing all the pics I took.

Let me tell you all something...WE HAVE A TEAM! These guys look like they could start playing this Sunday! They were sharp on both sides of the ball even though they were all in shorts and shells with helmets! @Merlin , remember when we met at camp a few years back and you said this was the best Rams team you had seen in awhile? You can say that again. My wife is laughing at me for how excited I am after just one practice. She says I say the same thing every year. But this year I really mean it!

QB1 - Stafford is really something to watch. Quick release, throws with determination and anticipation. The way he was throwing it around in all the various drills and hitting his receivers 99.9% of the time makes me think these guys have been doing a little side work. I think there was only one ball that fell short on an out route. All others were in a place where the receiver could make the catch.

RB - Funk is for real. A real steal in the draft. Don't now the exact count but it seemed he was in on a lot of the 1's plays. Not always getting the ball but still in the mix. He is quick and I can't wait to see him in pads as I'm sure he will pop some of our linebackers.

WR - It was already posted about D. Jackson wide open catch from Stafford for a TD. On that play, there was a fake handoff to Funk. I stayed with Funk with my camera and watched him go out in the flat to the left while everyone else was rolling right. Then I heard the crowd. Put down the camera and Jackson is coming towards the end zone where we were sitting, running a deep post. Beautiful throw by Stafford. @theduke made a comment that we in the stands were closer to guarding Jackson than anyone on the defense! There was no one close to him for 20-30 yards! Wish I could have seen it all unfold.

Other WR - The usual from Kupp and Woods. Ramsey had a great breakup on Woods on the right sideline on a go route (this was during passing drills, one on one). Ramsey actually intercepted (stole it from Woods) but came down out of bounds according the ref on the field. #84, Landon Akers fielding punts. Good hands! Good size. Good PS candidate.

Long Snapper - Wirtel was getting some work during FG trys as was Orzech. It seemed IIRC that Orzech was with the 1's with Hecker holding and Gay kicking. (that's for you @den-the-coach ).

DEF - That guy Rochelle? He's a keeper. Playing everyone tight. I think it was Burgess who had an interception on Wolford (Wolford didn't look too bad either!).

That's all I can recall from memory. On to my pictures and maybe I'll be able to add a thing or two. @bubbaramfan will be posting his report later tonight.
Great write-up